“How are you feeling, baby?” Justin asked as he woke up the next morning.


“More of the same, something just feels… off.  It’s lower, so maybe indigestion still?  I’ll take some more medicine and see if that helps.”


“Go take a warm shower, see if that helps any.  I’ll start breakfast while you shower.  Maybe some oatmeal, scrambled eggs, something easy on the stomach.”


“Thanks baby.  I love you.”


“Love you too, Kay.”


He watched her get the shower ready, biting his lip at seeing her naked and waiting for the water.  He knew there wouldn’t be too many more moments like this once the babies came, not for a while at least.  They’d discussed what they could do while her body was in the recovery phase, Justin emphasizing that whatever they had time and energy for was fine by him, not wanting to put more pressure on her.  He threw on a pair of joggers and headed to the kitchen.


Despite her taking some Pepto and the warm water of the shower, Mikayla’s stomach pains seemed to get worse, more intense.  She knew she needed to give things time to work, getting out of the shower and drying off, wrapping her robe around her as she dried her hair and got ready for the day.  As she dried her hair, she felt something that set off alarm bells in her head.  She threw on a pair of her maternity jeans, a black tank top and grabbed a sweater. 


She came downstairs, Justin finishing breakfast. “Hey,” she said nervously, “any chance we can get breakfast to go?”


“Why?”


“I think I’m having contractions, and I'm pretty sure my water just broke…”


“But they aren’t due for another two weeks,” Justin started to panic. 


“Babies come when they want, especially twins, they typically come early.”


“Ok,” he panted, collecting his thoughts of what they needed to do. “I’ll grab your bag for the hospital, anything you need me to put in there?”


“I don’t know.  There’s clothes, stuff to take a shower before or after, I can’t think of anything else that they won’t provide for us. Are you ready babe?”


He smiled softly at her. “I’ll put this in Tupperware and you can eat on the way.  Let’s go have some babies.”



They arrived at the hospital, heading straight to check in before going to labor and delivery.  They were put in a private room, nurses checking her vitals.


“Everything looks good, so it’s not like we’ll need to do an emergency delivery, so we’ll check on your progress and just let these babies come when they’re ready.  You’re at 3 cm, so this is definitely happening,” a nurse said.


“I need to call my parents, get them on the first flight out here.  They weren’t planning on coming for another 2 weeks…” Justin rambled nervously.


“It’ll be fine.  If it ends up just being us when it’s time to push, then it’s just us.  I guess the real question is do you want to be near my head, or watch them actually being born?”


“I think it’ll be safest for all of us if I’m holding your hand, I may pass out anyway though, who knows,” he laughed lightly.


“Go call your parents, the guys, I’m sure they’ll want to see us.  That’s a headline, ‘Lance Bass delivers McDonald’s order to local LA Hospital…’  They’ll probably want to put my IVs and stuff in soon, so I’d say go now before you have to see me dealing with needles.”


He walked down the hall, standing in front of the hospital nursery.  He pulled out his phone.


“Hey, darlin’, how are you?” Lynn asked happily.


“Im uh… we’re good.  Look, we need to book flights immediately, we’re having the babies.  Well, she’s been admitted, I doubt it’ll happen today, maybe tomorrow…”


“Justin, honey, how exciting!  Don’t worry, we’ll get flights figured out and be there as soon as we can.  There’s bound to be flights available today or tonight, red eyes, something.”


“Mom, can I talk to Paul for a sec?” Justin asked quietly.


“Sure honey, just a sec.”  He heard Lynn tell Paul the babies are coming, handing the phone over.  


“Hey Justin, great news!  Can’t wait to see you guys…”


“Am I ready?  They aren’t even mine, and there’s going to be two of them.  Am I ready?” he asked solemnly.


“It’s a little late to ask that question,” Paul laughed.  “Yes, son, you’re ready.  We’ll be out there as soon as we can.  You’re gonna be great, even if you have no clue what you’re doing. You’re doing the right thing, Justin.  At least you’re there from the very beginning.  I know you were really little when I entered your life, but those babies are going to be so lucky to have you raising them, giving them the loving home they deserve.  We’re here to help as best we can, even when we’re across the country.  Get back to Kayla, and hug and kiss those beautiful babies if we don’t make it before they come.  We’ll find the first flights out, we’ll keep you updated.”


“Thanks, Paul.  Love you.”


“Love you too, Justin.  You’ve got this.”


Justin then began a string of calls to the rest of the guys.  First calling Lance, knowing he lived in LA and could come at any moment he was needed.  Joey and Chris were in Florida, but knew they would come the second he made the call.


He looked at the rows of babies in the nursery.  I’m going to be a dad.  I’m having two of these, at once… Everyone says I’m ready, but I don’t know.  I hope I am, I WANT to be, for Kay, for them.  What if this is something I’m NOT good at, I let them down?  No, I can’t think that way.  I’m sure I’ll screw up, but I love them so much and they aren’t even here yet, this is my new passion project, that I will work as hard as I can to get right.

 

Justin looked at his phone, his mind and heart going through a rush of emotions.  He should be getting a call saying JC and Kayla were having the twins, not wanting to tell JC the twins he abandoned were coming.  Of course he wouldn’t say it like that, it would only complicate things further.  


He knew she’d said she wouldn’t take him back, that she didn’t love JC anymore, but he still felt guilty that if JC ever found out, they should be together, for the kids. Whatever was between them would pass and Mikayla and JC would be a happy family with their kids.  


Justin walked back into the hospital room, Mikayla on the phone with her mom. 


“Love you Mom, I’ll see you soon.”


She looked at Justin, a soft smile on her face.  “They’ll be here in a bit. Still not sure who will be with me in the delivery room. I mean, I know you will.  My mom had c sections for both of us, so she’s never been through full labor and delivery. I guess I could have my sister in, if your mom can’t make it in time.”


“Unless they come super fast, I think they should be able to get here in time. The guys know, and Lance is ready if we need anything.  Chris and Joey are finding flights, but not as big a rush as my folks.”


“Is it bad that this is all bittersweet?”


“No. I asked Paul if I’m ready, and I wanted to call JC, tell him they’re his babies being born. I love you, but…”


“I know. You’ll love them as if they were yours, they’ll never have to ask.  It’s tricky, but we love each other, and that will be what they see and know.”



The day was spent being monitored for progress, Kayla getting as much rest as she could, contractions starting to get stronger.  They weren’t painful yet, but some were strong enough to wake her up.  All of Justin’s family had flights booked for that day, his dad’s side getting into LAX late.  Lance offered to pick them up, each declining the offer and making arrangements to get a rental car upon arrival.  



Mikayla’s family sat in the room with her for a while, not staying long as she needed to rest.  They got a hotel room nearby so they wouldn’t have to drive back and forth between Santa Clarita and the hospital.


Justin sat, glancing at the board on the wall with her information from the nurses.  He smiled seeing the words “Welcome Baby J and Barbara!” written in cute lettering on the board.  He looked at the date on the board.


“Oh no…” he gasped in realization.


“What?” Mikayla asked, waking up.


“Tomorrow’s Valentine’s Day, I won’t be able to take you to dinner, all my plans for the night…”


“This is more special, always will be.  As for the other, if we’re quick I can give you a little something,” she purred.  “It’s gonna be a long 6-8 weeks…”


“Yeah, I’m willing to wait, you should know that.  I waited for you.”


“But we did stuff in between, it wasn’t just completely not doing ANYTHING…”


She was able to eat regular food still, Mikayla’s family bringing her a smoothie and sandwich from Panera.


“The food isn’t bad here,” a nurse smiled.  “If you like pasta, get the ravioli.  Seriously, call and place an order while you can still eat.  Pretty soon it’ll be broth soup, jello, and popsicles…”


“Ok,” Mikayla nodded, making a mental note to order in a bit.  


“You feeling ok?” Justin asked as the nurse left the room.


“Yeah.  It’s weird to watch the monitor showing my contractions, sometimes feeling them, other times not.  Seeing them start to get more intense and closer together.”


“I’m sure they’ll use that to help with knowing when to push, breathing, all of that.  I know we did the class on that, but I don’t know what I’m doing, I hope I remember it all…”


“We’re at a hospital, it’s not like it’s at home with just us.  I’m curious to see who comes out first.  I can’t wait to hold them, Justin.  Physically hold them in my arms.  I know I’m gonna cry.”



“I don’t wanna screw this up, Kay.  I’m so nervous I’m gonna screw this up…”


“It’s bound to happen.  I’m sure your mom and dad weren’t perfect, at least in your eyes.  They let you do some amazing stuff, so supportive, but I’m sure there were little things at the same time where you were like ‘ugh, you’re the worst!’  That’s what parenting is, lifelong on the job training.  Just when you think you have things figured out, they up the difficulty with something new to navigate.”

 

“I love you, Kay.  I know I say it a lot, but this, having these kids, it’s more than I ever dreamed for myself.  You have given me more than I ever thought I could achieve.  I love you so much for putting up with me, for loving me through all the ups and downs, doing life with me.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story