Mikayla was woken up to Justin gently nudging her in bed. 


“Justin, it’s still dark out, and I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck…”


“And you’re younger than me,” Justin said.  “I promise, this will be worth it. I’ll make sure we are heavily caffeinated before we leave the hotel.  It’s cold outside, so just dress comfortably and warm.  That being said,” he paused,” happy Valentine’s Day, Kay.”


“Happy Valentine's Day, Justin.”


“Low key day, but meaningful, I hope that’s ok.”


“That’s wonderful.”


They got dressed in layers of jeans and shirts and jackets, Mikayla feeling they were almost unrecognizable.  They went downstairs, getting the biggest cups of coffee they could buy before getting into a private SUV.  Mikayla rested her head on Justin’s shoulder, getting as much sleep as she could as they rode to their destination.  Their ride was almost 2 hours, it still pitch dark outside, morning light beginning to break through.


They were woken up when the car stopped, Justin more awake than Mikayla was. She looked around sleepily, unsure of where they were, noticing the sun was brightening the sky. 


“Where are we?” she asked as she stretched. Justin helped her out of the vehicle, Mikayla shivering at the burst of cold air.


“The start of our morning adventure.  Just the two of us,” Justin smiled, taking her hand. 


She looked up and saw the sign reading “Maid of the Mist”.  “Justin, you really did this, just for us?”


“Yeah. I thought it would be a unique experience, I’ve never been, either.  I thought watching the falls with the sunrise would be kinda romantic.”


“And cold, don’t forget cold.  Fuck, it’s freezing…” Mikayla said.  “I’m sure it’ll be wonderful, I’m sorry for seeming ungrateful just then.”


“This was the only way to get a private tour, they weren’t going to rent it out to us during regular business hours, and we’d be more exposed as far as visible to people.  The sooner we get on the boat, the sooner we get off and back to being warm…”


They followed their guide to the boat, both of them given a typical tourist rain poncho to keep them dry, or drier than without it anyway.  They stayed inside the boat until they were told to go out and get the full view of the falls.


You could hear the roar of the falls long before you saw it, both of them in awe.  Mikayla loved the waterfalls in Yosemite, but this was a whole other level.  She was sure that if any of the falls in Yosemite were as powerful as Niagara Falls, you would hear the roar from one end of the valley to the other.  They turned a corner, the full falls coming into view.  The sun was peeking up over the falls, Mikayla in awe of the grandeur and majesty of all of it.


“Is this what you thought when you saw Yosemite?” Mikayla asked, Justin silently nodding.


“Yeah, but this, this is something else…  Kay, I love you so much.  I want our love to be like these falls, never ending and so powerful people can’t help but watch.  I want to start trying for a baby of our own, once the tour is over.  You’ve been such an amazing mom, it’s been indescribable to watch, and I want that full experience.  I know I got pretty much all of it with the twins, but they are only mine legally.  I want to start OUR family, it doesn’t feel complete yet.  Not for me.”


“As crazy as they are, you’re right, I feel like something else is missing.  You’ve been a great dad, but yeah, I want one that’s ours, even if the twins never really understand that.  I mean, at some point they will, but for now…  I can’t wait to start our family together.”


“We’ll figure out the timing for all of it, we’re still doing international shows, more American dates, I don’t want you worrying about traveling with the twins and being pregnant.   I’m on tour at least through the end of the year, so maybe we’ll start trying in 2015.”


“What if it takes a long time, like it did with the twins?”


“Then it takes a while.  Isn’t that part of why you thought it took so long, the pressure put on both of you to make it happen?  It’ll happen when it’s meant to, just like with the twins.  They gave you something to be happy about with losing your grandma.”


“I suppose.  I dunno, there was just so much loss at that point, I feel like there wasn’t a lot to be happy about until after they were born.  Even then it’s been bittersweet.  Joshy is so much like, well, you know…”


“I know.  Thankfully people will probably say he looks more like you but acts more like me.  Well, the talent anyway.  It’s there, in both of them.  His is more quiet, while Barb is just… out there,” Justin laughed.  “I love those kids, and can’t wait to see what’s ahead for them, and for my kids, OUR kids.”


“More than one?” Mikayla laughed.


“We’ll see, but yeah, if we can.  I’m not even 35 yet, still plenty of time to be a dad, you’re younger than me, plenty of time for you.”


“Enough of the future,” Mikayla sighed. “Let’s focus on now, being here, together.  I love you, Justin.”


He held her close, taking in the sights before him, feeling her warmth against him. “I love you too, Kay.”


They got back to the hotel, having a late breakfast at Köst, the rooftop restaurant at the hotel.  “Almost reminds me of the Bahamas, our first date, even though we weren’t together yet,” Mikayla smiled, seeing the pool beside the seating area.


“You considered that a date?” he asked, surprised. 


“You sent me shopping to have something to wear, took me to a nice dinner, and wanted to kiss me.  Yeah, I call that a date,” she smiled, holding his hand in hers.


They enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, Mikayla having eggs benedict and Justin having an egg white omelet. “I’m not on a tour diet, so I’m going to splurge,” Mikayla laughed as she placed her order. 


“Rub it in, why don’t ya?” Justin teased. “Just kidding.  I don’t mind it so much most of the time.  I’ll live it up a bit tonight with what they bring in for us for dinner, maybe splurge a bit at lunch with the twins.”


“How are we gonna keep their faces private?” Mikayla asked in a panic.


“We’ll try our best, but honestly, it's going to happen at some point.  Not saying that we don’t try to keep them from being photographed, but also know that at some point it will happen.  The double stroller has a shield on it for weather like rain and stuff, we can use that a bit when we’re outside, there’s the air venting in the top, or we bundle them up and use the mesh so they can see out but cameras won’t see in.  At lunch it will be a lot more difficult, to be honest.”


“I just worry with Joshy, you know.  I know we’d said we’d call him something else to throw people off, but we haven’t really been out a lot of places with them, so he won’t know to respond to it…”


“He knows our voices, so if we call him bud or something, he’ll respond.  Jackie has a pretty good reign on them, and we both know Barb is the one to really worry about as far as behavior where we’d need to call after her.  Not that she’s bad, just… high spirited.”


“She gets that from you,” Mikayla smiled.


“Pretty sure ADHD is not a learned thing, so I’m gonna guess that’s not it, but you’re right.  I’ve been talking with my mom on how to handle her when it’s just us.  Jackie doesn’t seem concerned right now about it, so maybe that’s a good thing.  I’ve asked her and she said it’s all normal 2 year old behaviors.  It’s been a while since I was 2, I honestly don’t remember, I doubt anyone really does, so when you’re seeing it in your kids…”


“Your mind wanders a bit on ‘is this normal?’, yeah.  My education background was for elementary school age, so this is new territory even for me.  Jackie has been a godsend, we really need to give her a vacation or something as a thank you.”


“We’re bringing her to Europe and my other stops…”


“To watch our children.  She’s working just as much as you are, even more because, well, it’s the kids.  You sure you want more?” Mikayla laughed.


“I’d like one, yeah.  We don’t have to discuss this now.”


“I know.  I was joking, with how we’ve been talking about them.  They are good kids, it’s just a lot sometimes, being two of them with differing personalities.”


“I’d be worried if they were both like Bartb though, no question,” Justin chuckled.  “I doubt Jackie could handle them both in that case.  Maybe I’m underestimating her with that statement.  I just thank God that they’re ours, you know?”


She smiled at him, knowing how fully he loved those kids as his own, in spite of the circumstances very few people knew about.  “I know.”



“Alright, the twins are in the stroller, diaper bags are full with just about everything, we ready?” Justin asked.


Jackie nodded, Mikayla manning the stroller.  They opted for not having any ind of barrier, that more likely than not, people would respect their privacy, assuming such because it’s Canada.  They followed Justin to the ticketing area, when an employee greeted them.


“Welcome to Ripley’s Aquarium, we’re glad to give you a special tour today, a little behind the scenes.  I hear it’s their birthday today?” 


“Yes, 2 years old today,” Mikayla sighed.  “Time flies.”


“Well, we have a special surprise just for you.  I asked your Daddy what animals you liked, so I hope this still works ok…”


The twins' eyes widened as they were given small stuffed animals.  Barb squealed at her new stuffed penguin, Joshy smiling and clutching his dolphin tight. “I’d say they’re a hit,” Justin chuckled.


“I have a 3 year old at home, I know how quickly their favorite ANYTHING can change…  Let’s start our tour now, then you’ll be able to walk around anywhere else you’d like after.”


They were given a special tour of the aquarium, including their animal hospital for when the fish get sick or injured.  They were also led around the general public portions of the aquarium, Barb’s eyes widening at Rainbow Reef.  


“What does that one look like, Barb?” their guide asked.


“A unicorn!” she quickly replied.


“That’s a unicorn surgeonfish, very good.”


“So many colors,” Joshy said, taking in the different fish and all their colors.  


“Dory!” Barb pointed to a blue tang fish swimming by, both of them getting excited.


“Those ones are a particular kid favorite here, for sure,” their guide laughed.


They were led to a touch pool with four different kinds of rays.  Barb of course was not afraid to go up and touch the rays, Joshy being a little more hesitant.


Barb walked over, taking her brother’s hand.  “It’s ok, Joshy,” she said softly, Mikayla and Justin smiling at each other.  “Don’t be scared.”


Joshy’s brow furrowed a little.  “I not scared…” he grumbled, stepping forward, finally putting his hand in to touch one of the rays.  “Daddy, this is cool!”


“We thought you’d enjoy this, Finding Nemo has been a big hit in our house lately, along with anything else fish or ocean related.  We figured this would be a pretty cool birthday outing.  Mommy had no idea about any of this, so it was a nice surprise for all of them,” Justin smiled.


“You and your grand gestures,” Mikayla smiled back.


“It’s our family, nothing is too big, especially on your birthday…”


“A little birdy told me if you have dessert over at Beavertails, they can get a special birthday dessert.”  Their guide leaned in close to Justin and Mikayla.  “They know you’re here for the tour, being right next door, so they’ll be expecting you at some point.  I think they’d be disappointed if you DON’T show up.”


“Well how can we say no to a special birthday treat?” Justin chuckled.  “Let’s have lunch first.  Thank you for today, they had a blast, I’m sure you could tell.”


“What do we say for the tour?” Mikayla asked the twins.


“Thank you,” they said in unison.


“They’re so polite, how fitting for Toronto, you’d make great Canadians,” their guide laughed.  


“I think I saw a pizza place around here somewhere, let’s get some pizza and then that birthday dessert!” Justin said excitedly, Barb and Joshy cheering.


Mikayla pulled Justin’s arm around her.  “Happy Valentine’s Day, and this has been a great birthday for the twins. Thank you, Justin, for all you do for us.”


“I’m still not done with you, but that’ll have to wait until after the show tonight.”

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story