Author's Chapter Notes:

7/8/22- glad to be posting again!

They approached the airport, Mikayla noticing they weren’t going to the usual area.  Then it clicked.  “Private plane?”


Justin nodded.  “I mean, I own it, so why not?  Plus, after being seen at the beach, I figure private everything is the way to go.  Private plane there and back, a private car will wait for us at the airport, be at our beck and call, where we’re staying is ultra exclusive.  Maybe even get a small security detail when we do go out.  Nothing intimidating, just some friends of mine that will back us up, keep people away.”


“All of this, for me?  I was used to his level of doing things, but this is something else…”


“Well, I can’t fault him.  He did what he was comfortable with.”


“He always said we could afford to take bigger risks, he wasn't you.  We could go out somewhere and not be hounded and followed by cameras.  He didn’t need to pull out all the stops, unless it was getting nice suites at hotels when we traveled.”


“Well, don’t get TOO used to it.  Hopefully he’ll come to his senses soon and call you.  You’ll have cell phone service and signal when we get there, I’ve already taken care of that.  Shit, I just realized, were you two on a plan together?”


“No.  Well, not anymore.  I made the switch just in case, as much as that hurt.”


They got onto the plane, Justin making sure everything was settled and ready for takeoff.


“How did you get all your stuff?” he wondered.


“I have friends at the corporate office.  They’d tell me when he was at the office so I could grab stuff from the house.  I still had my key, I think he was hoping I’d use it to walk back in and continue like things never happened.  Instead I quietly moved out, one carload at a time.  Sometimes I’d have help.  Still tried to make it quick in case he decided to leave early and come home.  Took a couple days, kinda hard with limited access to boxes to pack.  My clothes were just thrown into the trunk of my car, strewn over the backseat.  Shit, my car…”


“What about it?”


“It’s a 2 door hatchback, that’s not going to work well with getting a baby in the backseat…”


“One thing at a time, ok?  You can trade it in, you said you had money saved up from your pay over the years.  I’m sure there’s enough to cover a new car.  If you’re back with him, or he at least wants to share custody, I’m sure he’d help too.  Either way, you have 8 months.”


“I feel like that’ll come and go quicker than we think.  I just worry he…”


“I know,” he sighed, knowing the truth about the situation.  “If he’s that stupid, you still have me, us, the guys, your friends.  Did we just have a full conversation about him and not use his name?”


“Yeah.  Felt weird, didn’t it?” she asked.


“A little, yeah.  I’ve been friends with him for so long, this is rough on both of us, Kayla.  I think we both need this little getaway.  The possibility of losing someone we’re both so close with.”


“Justin, I just realized… is Jess gonna be ok with you and me going on vacation together?”


“She… doesn’t know.”


“What did you tell her?”


“Nothing.  Kayla, I need to tell you the truth.”


“What?”


“I lied about me and Jess getting back together.  I said that in the hopes that he would want to get back together, so part of your nightmare would be over.  I haven’t seen her since she took the last of her stuff from the house.  There’s no way she’d be happy about us going where we’re going.”


“Which is where?”


“My house in the Bahamas.  I’m part owner in a community down there.  It’s right on the water, but a private cove, slow waves, I thought you’d like that.  I know the beach is one of your favorite places, so I wanted to give you a private place to be yourself for a while.”


“That sounds perfect and too much all at once.  I wish you’d told me sooner that you and Jess weren’t back together.”


“Why, it wouldn’t change anything for you.”


“No, I suppose not.  Trying to get back together with my baby daddy.  Wow, that sounded weird, never saying THAT again.”


Justin chuckled.  “Yeah.  That night made it clear you want him, otherwise you’d have moved on already.  Then finding out about the baby, just further cementing you belong with him.”  It hurt him to admit it, and hurt even more keeping his feelings for her a secret.  She must have known on some level, taking her to a private area on a Caribbean island.  But she sure wasn’t acting on any of it.  He was happy to be her source of comfort, while also trying to keep his feelings for her hidden.


“I just hope he sees it that way, can forgive me, move on and raise this baby together, as a couple or separately.”


“I think he’d agree he’d want to raise it together, as a couple.  We’ve got a long flight ahead of us, try to relax and forget about this for a while.  It can’t be good for the baby.”


“I suppose not.  Thank you, for all of this.  You’ve been so great, even though you’ve lost things, too.  You and Jess aren’t an option anymore, you lost a friend, but still trying to get us back together.  I’m sure you’re dealing with a lot, too.”


“Yeah.  I think I’m gonna get some recording done while I’m there, get things out of my head, let you be alone a bit.  I am absolutely treating you to a spa day, to help you relax and feel rejuvenated.”


“That sounds amazing.  It’s been a while since I’ve had a massage.”


“Without trying to sound weird, I’ve picked up a few tips from my masseuse over the years, I could be a great option when you need one.  Mainly shoulders, but yeah.”


“I do carry most of my tension in my neck and shoulders.  Damn it…”


“What?”


“I can’t stop thinking about him.  What he said, about resigning.  He loved working for the school, to leave because of me, it hurts.  Doesn’t sound like he’s wanting to get back together.”


“He did that before you went over there, told him everything.  Give him a few days, maybe he’ll change his mind.”


“You’re right, we shouldn’t talk about this.  It just upsets me, and I’m sure that’s not good for the baby.  Is it weird for you that I keep wanting to lean on you, literally, for support?”


“If it was, I would tell you.  I think it helps, having that sensory connection.  That’s why they say hugs are healing, aren't they?  The release of whatever into your body to calm you.”


“So you’re ok when I want to lean on you when I watch TV, next to me in bed?”


“Yeah,” he smiled. “I’m ok with all of that.”


“It’s weird, this is my first flight where something won’t happen…”


“Frequent mile high club member, are you?” Justin laughed. 


“Even on regular flights. We’d find ways to do things without actually having sex and going to the bathroom being obvious.”


“He’s a lucky guy. Jess thought it was fun at first, but then that we were past that after a while.”


“Well, nothing like that is gonna happen here.  I like sitting next to you, though, I know there’s plenty of room to spread out.”


“Like I said, I’m ok with whatever you’re comfortable with.”


She leaned into him, nudging herself to have his arm around her. She closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep. Justin stayed awake, thinking about everything that had transpired, how much anger, resentment, and love he was hiding from Mikayla. 


If they end up back together, I can’t hate him. I don’t think I would if they got back together, he’d be doing the right thing. It seems like he won’t, though, and I’m so angry at him for it. To not even listen to what she has to say, choosing not to listen to a message that would change everything. 


I’m trying not to get too caught up in my feelings for her, but I can’t help it. I love her, I’ll do anything I can to make her happy. I wish we HAD slept together, that this baby was mine, not his. As messy as it would be, it would be mine, and I would step up. I’m already doing more than he is to take care of it. I can’t believe he’s so willing to turn his back on her.


He had to push the thoughts from his mind at the moment, rage and anger bubbling up. He decided Mikayla had it right; sleep was the best option to stop thinking about things.  He closed his eyes and soon fell asleep.



“Justin, this place is incredible!” Mikayla gasped as she entered the house.  “I shouldn’t be surprised though.”


“Yeah, it’s part home, part vacation. Go check out the back.”


She walked through the house, taking everything in.  She saw through the window before opening the door. “An infinity pool AND a private beach? This is like a dream.  I’ll practically live out here, just so you know.”


“I’ll be in the studio a bit, give you some alone time.”


“Not to sound clingy, but not TOO much time alone, right?”


“You have my number. If I’m not here and you need me, I’ll drop everything and come back.”


“Justin, I can’t ask you to do that. What if you’re in the middle of recording? I know there’s a flow to that kinda thing.”


“I’ll get there as soon as I can.  You’re more important at this point.”


“Justin…” She dropped to the floor, silent tears streaming down her face. 


“Kayla, what’s wrong?” Justin asked, rushing to her side.


“I don’t deserve any of this.  I messed up, I feel like I’ve lost him, and you’re ready to drop everything for me. You pity me that much…”


“Kayla, no. This is not out of pity.  Your heart is broken in so many ways, pregnant on top of that. So many emotions going on right now, but none of them involve pity. You’ve been in my life for the past 5 years, this is what friends do. I care about you, want you to be happy.  I don’t pity you, please don’t feel that way, EVER.”  He held her close, wishing in that moment he could kiss her, show her the last thing he felt for her was pity.


“Please, I’m a pregnant, emotional mess. I’m not even his girlfriend anymore…”


“We’re trying to fix that.  If you want you can take a bath, nothing too hot though.”


“How do you know that?”


“I may have been researching pregnancy tips,” he admitted quietly.  “I just want to help you as best I can.”


“I really don’t deserve this,” Mikayla sighed. 


“No one pities you. So many people want to BE you, dating him as long as you did, having his baby.  You are amazing, smart, funny, beautiful.  You deserve a LOT of things, and pity is not one of them.  Go take a bath, go out into the pool or the waves, something to help you relax and settle in.”


“Ok. It has been a long day. What are we doing for dinner?”


“I have someone coming in to cook for us.  I figured we lay low tonight, maybe go out for dinner tomorrow or something.  Is that ok?”


“Yeah.  I think a couple laps in the pool, staring out at the ocean sounds like a great idea.  Wanna join me?”


“How could I say no to an offer like that?” Justin smiled. “Ummm, how are we doing this?”


“Doing what?”


“I mean, I don’t want to assume, but are we sharing a bed so we aren’t alone at night? Like I said, I didn’t want to assume…”  He took a step back, his words getting quiet.


“I mean, I’d like that, yeah.  Gonna guess your room is the most comfortable?”


“I mean, they’re all good.  It’s the biggest, if it helps to have some space but share the same bed. I can sleep over the covers like that one night…”


“Justin, this is YOUR house…”


“And you’re a guest. I’m also a gentleman.”


She smiled, laughing a little.  “I guess I forgot what those were like lately.  I wouldn’t mind being under the covers with you.”


“Go ahead and put your things in the master bedroom and bathroom, I’ll get ready in a guest bath or something. See you out there?”


She nodded, following his directions on which room was his. Not surprisingly, his room had a great view of the water, with a balcony and sliding glass door. The bed was a California King, with luxuriously soft sheets, blankets, and pillows.  She almost wanted to curl up and drift off to sleep just touching them. 


She opened her suitcase, pulling her hair into a braid.  She changed into her black bikini, grabbing a towel from the bathroom and wrapping it around her body. It felt like butter, the softest thing she’d ever felt for a towel. She walked through the house, going into the back. 


She watched as Justin swam the length of the pool. He was shirtless, wearing a pair of navy blue trunks. She stood there, watching his arms as he swam, how graceful he looked, the muscles on his arms as he raised them with each stroke. 


Careful, Kayla.  These pregnancy hormones are a doozy. You want JC, but Justin isn’t bad to look at, either…

 

She opened the door, Justin stopping his swimming to look at her. She pulled off the towel, Justin breathing in a silent gasp as he saw her. The way the bikini highlighted her curves.  Careful, Justin.  Good thing these trunks are a little loose. Down boy…. It’s gonna be a long, difficult, painful week.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story