Eve woke up next morning by the sound of an incoming message. She rubbed her eyes and grabbed her phone from the bedside table. 


„I’m sorry for not texting back. Physiotherapy was terribly exhausting. I immediately fell asleep when they brought me back to my room.“ [Josh]


Eve felt relieved as she read Josh’s message. She wanted to believe that he was telling the truth. 


„Please don’t worry about it. Do you want me to bring some good breakfast?“ [Cupcake]


„This would be nice. Thank you.“ [Josh]


Eve smiled. This was a start. She decided putting a little more effort in her look today. She waved her long hair after showering, put on a little more make-up as she usually did and chose her favorite pink off-shoulder dress, as Josh used to like it on her.


Then she drove with Jake to the grocery store around the corner, bought fresh bread, ham, vegetables and fruits. She returned home, made sandwiches and a fruit salad. Then she filled up two to go mugs with fresh coffee. Finally she made herself on her way to the clinic. 



„Good morning.“ She said with a bright smile in her face, entering Josh’s patient’s room. 


Jake was in his stroller, playing with his favorite toy. 


„Good morning.“ Josh replied, smiling back. 


She parked the stroller and put the food out of a bag.


„Are you hungry?“ She asked, still smiling. 


„I’m always hungry since I woke up. It’s unreal.“


Eve giggled. 


„You didn’t eat real food for six months. You must be hungry.“ 


She gave him one sandwich and a closed bowl with the fruit salad in it. 


„Wow, this looks really good.“ Josh said, unwrapping the sandwich. 


„I also brought some coffee from home, as it is just the best.“ She explained and placed the mug at his bedside table. 


„Oh really? What makes it the best?“


„Just taste it and you’ll understand.“ 


Josh smiled again and bit into the sandwich. He was surprised how good it tasted.


„That’s delicious. Where did you buy it?“ He wanted to know. 


„Ehm… I made it.“ She said, smiling sheepishly. 


Josh was surprised that she made that effort.


„Oh… thank you. It’s really good.“ 


He glanced at her for few seconds and noticed, that she looked different today. 


„Apparently she wants to look nice for you.“ He thought. 


Josh tasted the coffee next. 


„Okay. I understand.“ He replied, being amazed by its taste.


Again Eve smiled at him. Automatically he smiled back. 


„Her smile is gorgeous.“ He was thinking. „It must has been that smile, which made you fall for her…“ 


After eating together and talking about Josh’s physiotherapy, Eve started tidying up. Josh was watching her putting the bowls into the bag. Then she went to the stroller and bent forward to give Jake some attention. Josh gazed at her butt, hardly being covered by her short dress. 


„She exactly knows how things work…“ He was thinking and smirked. 


„Why are you grinning?“ She asked irritated, as she suddenly turned back into his direction. 


Josh felt caught and flushed.


„Ehm…“ 


In the same moment two nurses entered his room. 


„Good morning! Time for physiotherapy, Mr. Chasez!“ One of them said happily.


„I’ll be back this afternoon with dinner, if you like?“ Eve suggested. 


„Are you making it yourself, as well?“ Josh replied. 


„Yes, sure. If you want me to.“


„This was a joke, Eve. I don't expect you cooking for me.“


„But I don't mind. I used to cook for you almost every night.“ She said calmly. 


Josh looked at her, not knowing how to reply.


"Pizza works good for me.“ He finally said. 


„Okay.“


The nurses wheeled him out of the room. Eve watched them disappear. Then she continued tidying up. She went to Josh’s bedside table for his empty coffee mug. His cell was lying next to it. In the moment she grabbed the mug his phone received a text massage. Eve automatically glanced at it. Then her heart dropped. She took the phone and stared at the display. The message came from Jen. 


„Don’t do that, Eve… don’t do that…“ She was trying to convince herself not reading the message.


But in the very next second she unlocked his phone and opened the chat. Jen sent a picture of herself and Bronson, with a text saying good morning daddy


Eve stared at the photo, immediately turning sick. Jen was smiling happily, with the dog in her arm. With shaky hands Eve scrolled through their chat, realizing they’ve been writing a lot. In the same moment a nurse entered the room. Eve frightened.


„Excuse me, Mrs. Chasez.“ The nurse apologized. „Your husband noticed that he left his phone here and asked me to bring it.“ 


Eve was still holding his phone in her hand. Then she locked it and gave it to the nurse.



Eve arrived at work half our later. She brought Jake into his nursery as he fell asleep. Then she made some coffee and went into her office. Mateo was sitting at his desk, smiling at her.


„You look very pretty today.“ He said, but noticed her bad mood right in the next second. 


Eve didn’t respond and sat down at her desk.


„Have you been in the clinic this morning?“


„Yes…“ She almost whispered. 


„What happened?“ 


She looked at him, once again being very close breaking down in tears. 


„Eve… I’m concerned.“ Mateo said, as she didn’t respond. 


„We’ve had breakfast together. For the first time I felt like he was opening up himself a little. It was really nice. Then the nurses picked him up for therapy. I was tidying up, when his phone received a message. I looked at the display and noticed it was Jen. Then I unlocked his phone…“ 


Mateo’s eyes went open wide.


„No, you didn’t…“


„Yes, I did.“


„Eve… no… you’re better than this…“


„It was Jen, Matty… I needed to know…“


Mateo was pale in the meanwhile. 


„What did you found?“


„She’ve sent him a pic of herself and the dog, writing good morning daddy.“


„Are you serious?“


Eve nodded. 


„Was there more?“


„There was a lot, Matty. But a nurse showed up and disturbed me. He asked her to bring his phone.“ 


Mateo took a deep breath and grabbed his face.


„Why on earth is all of this happening to you? Have you been as serial killer in your prior life? It just can’t be true…“ 



Josh just finished his first therapy. His next treatment was scheduled in 15 minutes. He took his phone to check his messages, while waiting for the therapist. 


„Looks like you’re busy, hm…“ [Jen]


Josh frowned, reading Jen’s text. Then he saw the picture she has sent one hour earlier and wondered, why it didn’t show up in his lock screen. He noticed, that her message arrived short before his therapy started. Then his heart skipped a beat. 


„Fuck. She must have opened it…“ 



It was afternoon. Eve didn’t feel like going back to the hospital. She was disappointed and terribly hurt. At the same time, she knew that she made a mistake by reading Jen’s message. And she was aware of, that Josh must have noticed. 


„Got stuck at the office. Not gonna make it tonight.“ [Cupcake]


Josh read Eve’s message, being sure she was upset. He didn’t have a single doubt, that she was snooping in his phone. He understood, that she must felt betrayed as she found his chat with Jen.  But still, she didn’t have the right reading it. 


„Ok.“ [Josh]



It was next morning. Eve felt horrible when she woke up. Still, she decided putting even more effort into her whole look than the prior day. Wearing a black pencil skirt, a white tight blouse and killer heels, she was completely overdressed but she didn’t care. Her hair was put together into a sleek ponytail. She was wearing her glasses and her favorite devil red lipstick. She chose that look as it made her feel confident and sexy. She needed to feel this way to be strong enough facing Josh.


As it was Monica’s shift, Eve left Jake with her in the nurse’s office and went into Josh’s patient’s room on her own. In her hand she was having a paper bag with breakfast from Mc Donald’s. She knew Josh hated nothing more than food from Mc Donald’s. 


As she entered the room, Josh stared at her in disbelief. 


„What.The.Hell…“ 


„Good morning husband.“ She said arrogantly, coming closer. 


She stopped in front of the chair next to his bed and put the paper bag at his coffee table. Then she sat down, crossing her legs slowly. 


Josh was still staring at her, processing hard. 


„She’s hot as fuck…“


Eve was piercing him with her big blue eyes. 


„Is there a reason why… you look this way?“ He asked carefully. 


„Which way, Josh?“ 


„Ehm… formal…“


„Formal?


„Yes…“


„I run a firm. Sometimes I need to look formal.“ She said, not losing her arrogant tone.


Josh glanced at the paper bag.


„Mc Donald’s?“


„Yes. Mc Donald’s. And I forgot the coffee.“ 


„And where is the baby?“


„You mean Jake? Since when you care about your son?“ 


„What the fuck is happening here???“ Josh was thinking, turning upset as well. 


„My son, hm…?“ He replied boldly. 


Eve frowned, turning more angry as she already was. 


„Excuse me?“ 


„What is going on between you and Justin?“

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story