After having lunch with Eve and Mateo, Kristin made a walk with Jake in the park close to the hotel. Eve and Mateo drunk another cup of coffee, before continuing with their decoration work.


„Why are you so tensed, dear?“ Mateo wanted to know. 


He noticed that Eve’s mood changed after picking up her mother. 


Eve looked at her friend for a moment. Then she told him about Kristin’s theory.


„Wow…“ Mateo finally said. „Your mom is a genius.“


„What that supposed to mean?“ 


„That everything she claims makes totally sense.“


Eve wasn’t denying the fact. After thinking things through, she needed to admit, that her mother must be right. 


„Should I feel guilty now?“ Eve asked shyly. 


Mateo shrugged his shoulders. 


„Actually, I don’t know. I mean, what if you didn’t give up on Josh so fast? Do you think you might have had a realistic chance changing his mind about Jen? Was there really a way to avoid things to happen, if you have been more persistent?“ 


„I have no idea…“ 


„Imagine Josh didn’t have lost his memory, loving you with all of his heart as he used to do. Would that have changed the way you felt for Justin?“


„Again, I have no answer…“


„Look. Your mom made a very good point. But things are as they are now. And it’s not fair blaming you all alone for everything what have happened. You are just a human being and you suffered badly. In my opinion you’ve had every right dealing with the situation as you did. So please, do me a favor and do not overthink.“ 


„I promise I won’t. I’m really happy with Justin. My mom’s theory just underlines how serious my feelings for him are, right?“ 


Mateo nodded. 


„So, tell me how you feel about seeing Josh tomorrow. You need to be prepared that he’ll bring Jen.“ 


Eve sighed. 


„I’m aware of that. But I’ve had enough time to get used to this scenario. It’s still making me sick when I think about them being together. But I plan to get drunk fast, so I guess I’ll be fine.“ 


„And you and Justin will keep distance?“ 


„Yes, we will.“


„Does Lucy even know about Justin in the meanwhile?“ 


„No, I still didn’t tell her…“ 


Mateo took a deep breath. 


„I know you try keeping things confidential, but she’s your best friend.“


„Yes, but she’s marrying the biggest gossip on earth, Matty…“ 



The rest of the day, Eve and Mateo were busy with the ballroom, while Kristin enjoyed the time with her grandson. 


„I’m exhausted. Let’s do the last things tomorrow morning.“ Mateo said, when it turned dark outside. 


„Go and relax. I’ll do the rest on my own, before Lucy shows up for the night.“ Eve answered. 


„You’re sure?“ 


„Yes, don’t worry.“


„Okay. Eric should be here in the meanwhile.“ Mateo said with a dirty grin. 


Eve smiled back.


„You definitely deserve some extra attention tonight.“


„I totally agree.“


Mateo kissed Eve’s cheek and disappeared in the next moment. Eve decided to listen to some music and took her ear phones out of her bag. Then she continued her work. 



Josh arrived at the hotel at the same time, waiting at the reception for check inn. Eric asked him to have some drinks at the pool bar tonight. That’s why it made sense spending the night here, instead of going back home to his parent’s place. 


After refreshing himself in his room, he returned into the lobby, being a little lost. The hotel was giant, with several restaurants and bars. 


„Excuse me, where do I find the pool bar?“ Josh asked the concierge. 


„Please follow the signs over there, Sir. When you pass the ballroom, just take the next exit.“ The concierge said friendly. 


Josh thanked him and made himself on his way. 


The giant folding doors to the ballroom were open. Josh automatically glanced inside, knowing this was the room where the wedding party would take place the next day. 


Then he suddenly saw Eve from distance. His heart skipped a beat. He stared at her while she was dancing and singing some familiar lyrics. 


„Put your filthy hands all over me… you know this ain’t the clean version…“ 


Josh scanned her body from head to toe. She was wearing some denim hot pants, a white crop top and nude flip flops. Her hair was put together into a messy bun. She was wearing just very delicate make-up and her nerdy glasses. 


Josh liked her effortless look. She was sexy without even trying. Eve didn’t notice that Josh was watching her. She continued singing while being busy with a chain of lights.


„And what you gonna do with all that meat? Cooking up a mean serving, huh…“ 


Josh smirked, as her singing was pretty bad. But still he enjoyed her little show, as she moved her hips to the rhythm. In the next moment, she stood at her toes and tried to reach a hook which Mateo sticked way too high for her size.


„Damn it!“ She swore. 


She tried again, but she was definitely to small to reach the spot. Suddenly she felt a hand on her left shoulder and terribly frightened.


„WHAT THE FUCK…???“ She yelled, turning around. 


„I’m so sorry!“ Josh immediately apologized. 


She stared at him like seeing a ghost and put her ear phones outside. 


„You scared the shit out of me!!!“


„I didn’t want to scare you… but you looked like you need a hand…“ He explained. 


Eve still looked at him, her breath slowly returning back to normal. He was wearing black jeans and a black button down shirt, black framed glasses and having long grey hair. All the physiotherapy seemed to pay off. Eve noticed his strong arms and shoulders through his tight shirt. She never saw him in such a good shape before. 


„What are you doing here?“ She asked him. 


„Ehm, Eric asked to have some drinks with him tonight.“ Josh explained. 


Still she was staring at him. Josh felt a little uncomfortable, not knowing what to do next.


„So? May I help you with these?“ He finally said, pointing at the lights. 


Eve nodded and gave him the chain. He placed it easily at the hook and smiled at her. 


„You are unbelievably tiny.“ He teased. 


„I’m also blond, freckled, having light blue eyes and small boobs. You must still asking yourself how on earth you ended up with someone like me, hm?“ She talked back. 


Josh stared at her, not knowing how to react. It wasn’t his intention to offend her. 


„I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings…“ He stammered. 


Eve suddenly realized she was overreacting and regretted her cynical comment. 


„No ehm… I’m sorry. This was… unnecessary…“ She apologized. 


Then she grabbed her bag from the floor and decided to leave. 


„Hey, listen.“ Josh said, before she left. 


„Yes?“ 


„It’s not like you said.“ 


„What do you mean?“


„I think you are beautiful.“ 


Eve was completely overwhelmed, not knowing how to reply.


Josh cracked a smile. 


„I need to go. Eric is waiting. See you tomorrow at the ceremony, Eve.“ 



„Here you are!“ Eric cheered, when Josh found him sitting at the pool bar. 


Both hugged each other, before Josh sat down next to him. 


Eric immediately noticed that his friend seemed to be flustered. 


„What’s going on, Jay?“ He asked carefully.


„Ehm, nothing… I just met Eve in the ballroom… she’s decorating it…“ Josh answered. 


„And…?“


„And what?“ 


„How was it?“


„Tensed. But I guess, I just made her speechless.“ 


Eric raised his eyebrows. 


„How you managed that?“ 


„I told her that she’s beautiful.“ 


Eric stared at him for few seconds.


„Is your memory back???“ 


„No.“


„Then I’m officially confused.“ 


„It’s a fact, Eric. She’s beautiful.“ 


„I know that. But few weeks ago you still didn’t give a shit about her. So what has changed?“ 


„Look. I came to Orlando, because my mom found a therapist, who is specialized on cases like mine. We tried meditation, hypnosis and even some very questionable drugs to fix my memory. But nothing helped. All I have are flashbacks out of the blue, which don’t make any sense to me.“


„Okay. But what are you trying to say?“ 


„I’m trying to say, that I need to learn living my life with this giant gap in my brain.“ 


„Are you saying, that you’re finally ready giving your wife a chance being part of your life again?“ 


„I married her for a reason. That’s what all of you continued saying.“ 


„Yes, we did.“


„I wanna figure things out with her. And I want to take responsibility as Jake’s dad.“ 


„Does Eve already know that?“ 


„No. I wasn’t prepared for this conversation when I met her in the ballroom.“


Eric was relieved, that Josh finally got back to his senses. But he was also concerned, if it wasn’t too late.


„Why are you looking so tensed, Ricky?“ Josh asked, knowing, that his friend was having something on his mind. 


„Dude, I really wish you well. You and Eve deserve to be happy together again. But what you did to her… I mean… the whole situation with Jen… and the fact that you’ve been gone for almost two months without even talking to her… I’m afraid it might be too late…“


Josh lowered his head and sighed. 


„I know. And I understand, when she doesn’t want this anymore. I know, that I hurt her more than just once.“


Eric padded Josh’s back. 


„Well, at least there’s the wedding. All the happiness and overwhelming emotions might be helpful.“


Josh smiled and nodded. 


„But first of all, you need to see the hairdresser.“ 


Josh frowned. 


„What’s wrong with my hair?“ 


„Everything, Jay. Absolutely everything.“ 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I promise the wedding will be... interesting... ;)



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story