„What about a glass of red wine?“ Justin suggested, when they finished eating.


„Absolutely.“ Eve replied, feeling overeaten but happy. 


Justin stood up, brought a bottle and filled two glasses. 


„You wanna watch a movie tonight?“ He asked next. 


„I feel like enjoying some time at the patio. What do you say?“ 


„Sure, sounds good.“


They went outside and sat opposite of each other at the outdoor table. The sky was almost dark but crystal clear. While sipping their wine, they didn’t talk for a moment. 


„How are you, Justin?“ Eve finally asked. „I realized everybody is only focusing on me. No one ever asks how you feel.“


Justin took a big sip, before answering.


„Mostly I feel anger when I think about the situation. I’m angry about the helplessness and the fact that we can do nothing but wait. Sometimes it’s so bad that I just want to scream and smash something up.“ 


Eve looked at him for a moment. She felt awful, that she didn’t ask earlier what was going on in his mind.


„What do you do then?“ She wanted to know.


„I bought a punching bag and hung it up in my basement.“ 


„Really?“ 


„Really.“ 


„Can I try it one day?“


Justin smirked. 


„Anytime.“


Eve stood up and went back into the kitchen. She returned with the wine and filled up their glasses. 


„If we’re lucky, Jake sleeps in the next hours. I guess we can have another glass tonight, hm?“ 


„I’m all in.“ Justin replied. 



Two hours later Eve was finishing her third glass and was definitely more than just tipsy. Justin drunk less then her to be able taking car for Jake, if necessary. 


„James…?“


„Yes, Moneypenny?“ 


„Usually… I prefer white wine. But you never bring white wine. It’s kind of frustrating. But finally I found my courage telling you this.“ 


Justin raised his eyebrows. 


„Why is everybody confessing their dislikes when drinking with me?“ 


„What are you talking about?“


„Imagine that… Lance doesn’t like Bourbon.“ 


„Oh! That scandal. Josh told me. I’m surprised you didn’t hunt him with torches and pitchforks for this.“


„We should have done that. But I see him with different eyes since then. Such a shameless liar…“ 


„Ya… he’s the worst.“


In the next moment the doorbell rang. Eve gave Justin a skeptical look. Then she checked her wrist watch. It was five minutes before midnight. 


„Justin… who is this?“


„How the hell I know? Do I have a crystal ball?“ 


„Did you plan anything for my birthday?“


„I swear, I didn’t.“


Eve sighed. Then she stood up and lurched inside the house. Justin decided to follow her, as she seemed to be more drunk as he expected. 


„What the hell?“ Eve asked as she opened the front door. 


Lance, Michael and Mateo were smiling sheepishly. 


„Surprise surprise!“ They cheered. 


„Go home.“ Eve replied boldly. 


„It’s not gonna happen.“ Michael said and let himself in first. The rest of them followed. 


Eve stared at Justin, giving him an angry look. 


„I didn’t ask them to come.“ He claimed. 


„But you didn’t stop them, either.“ 


He smiled sassy and shrugged his shoulders.


„I brought Tequila.“ Mateo said and hurried into the kitchen, with a shopping bag in his hand. 


„You really wanna toast with Tequila?“ Justin asked. 


„I brought lemons as well, so stop complaining.“ Mateo talked back. 


Then he put some shot glasses out of the cupboard and filled them up. When it turned midnight all of them started singing. 


„HAPPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRUMPY EVE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!“ 


Eve rolled her eyes but couldn’t stop herself from smiling.


„Lucky you I’m already drunk.“ She said. 


„You already filled her up?“ Mateo asked surprised, staring at Justin.


„It was her idea.“ 


Mateo handed out the Tequila.


„Congratulations, Eve. I love you.“ Mateo said, looking at her.


„We love you, Eve!“ Everybody else shouted. Eve smiled happily, finally appreciating that her friend’s showed up without invitation. After drinking the shots, everybody hugged her heartily. 


„Of course we brought presents!“ Michael cheered and put out an envelope out of his jacket. 


„This wasn’t necessary… but thank you.“ Eve said, looking at him and Lance.


Then she opened the envelope. 


„Yoga classes?“ She asked surprised.


„Yes, honey. We believe you need more time for yourself. As you told me once, that you enjoyed doing yoga when you lived in Germany, we believed this is a good idea to take care for yourself.“ Lance explained.


„And the best part is, we will watch your baby during the classes.“ Michael added. 


Eve smiled happily and hugged them again.


„This is really sweet. Thank you very much.“ 


„Here is mine.“ Mateo said next, giving her another envelope.


Curiously Eve opened it up. 


„Oh Matty…“


„I can’t wait doing this with you.“ 


„What is it?“ Justin asked curiously. 


„It’s a workshop with a very popular interior designer from New York. I admire him and his work since I started my first business. It’s nearly impossible to get those tickets. How did you managed this, Matty?“ She asked in disbelief. 


„Well, someone who likes banging me once in a while knows people.“


„No way! Eric helped you with that?!“ 


„Yes. That’s why this present is from both of us. Unfortunately he’s out of town this weekend, so he can’t be here tonight.“ Mateo explained. 


„I can’t thank you, enough. This is awesome, Matty.“ 


Eve hugged her friend tightly. Then she gave Justin an eager look. 


„For someone who asked for ignoring her birthday, you seem to have pretty high expectations.“ He teased her.


Eve gave him a sassy smile, still waiting for his present. He opened one kitchen drawer and put out a very flat white square box with a pink ribbon. 


„Technically that gift isn’t mine.“ He said, before giving it to her. 


Eve frowned. 


„Not yours?“


„Just look inside and you will know.“


Impatiently she opened the box. When she saw its content, she didn’t understand what this was about. There was a vinyl record with Jake’s newborn picture on the cover. She stared at Justin, waiting for explanation. 


Justin smiled at her calmly. 


„C told me, that he wrote a song for Jake. His idea was, giving it to you the day he was born…“


„Oh my god…“ Eve stammered, staring at him in disbelief. 


Justin continued talking.


„When I started writing for his clients, I found the file on his hard drive. I wasn’t sure if I should give this to you on his behalf. That’s why I asked my bros for their opinion. All of them convinced me, that you should have this. So, I put it on a LP and waited for the right occasion to give it to you.“ 


Eve was touched into tears. Carefully she put the LP out of the box. 


„Do you wanna listen to it, honey?“ Lance asked carefully. 


Eve nodded. 


„Okay, let’s go into the living room.“ He added. 


„May I?“ Justin said, taking the LP out of Eve’s hand. 


He switched on Josh’s record player while the rest of them sat down around the coffee table. Then Justin started the song and sat down next to Eve at the sofa. 


Eve wasn’t able to keep her tears under control, while listening to Josh singing a beautiful ballad for their son. The others turned very emotional as well. Justin put his arm around Eve’s shoulders. When the ballad ended, all of them kept quiet for a moment.


„Thank you, Justin. Thank you so much for letting me have it. It means the world to me.“ Eve finally said. 


She turned into his direction and hugged him close. Justin was glad, that she was crying happy tears for a change.


„You’re welcome, M.“ 


„It was truly beautiful. This man is an incredible singer. To be honest, you’re not even close to his voice range, Justin.“ Mateo said. 


Justin smirked.


„I’m aware of that.“ 


„He’s the best. Always was, always will be.“ Lance added. 


Michael just nodded, smiling calmly. 


Suddenly the doorbell rang again. Eve frowned, staring at Justin. 


„Don’t give me that look. I have no idea.“


„Relax, this must be Sarah. She was having other obligations tonight, but she said she would join us as soon as possible.“ Mateo explained.


Eve smiled. Then she stood up and let Sarah in. Sarah brought Champagne a beautiful bouquet of Eve’s favorite flowers. 


„Happy birthday, boss!“ She cheered and hugged her close. 


„Thank you.“ Eve replied happily.


„Why so serious, guys?“ Sarah asked irritated, when she entered the living room. 


„We’ve had an emotional moment. But you’re right. It’s time for party!“ Mateo cheered.


Then he stood up and went into the kitchen to bring the Tequila. 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story