Monday morning came, and Justin knocked on her door.


"Hey, it's a little early," Jenny yawned, still in her pajamas.  "Let me get dressed..."


"You're in college, no one cares that you're in your pajamas.  You've got a shirt and pants on, get shoes on and let's go!" he whispered excitedly.  


She grabbed shoes and put them on, Justin barely giving her time to put them on before he dragged her out of her room.  "Where are we going?" she asked.


"You'll see, just come with me!"


He dragged her through campus before going into the Art building.  He went down a hall, knocking on a door.  He opened the door, leading Jenny in.


"Justin, what..." Then she saw it.  The painting Justin was talking about Saturday night, a beautiful display of colors in a space scape, Jenny almost moved to tears.


"He told me he was working on it, so I wanted you to see it.  Aaron, this is Jenny.  I showed her your exhibit at the museum while I was there with my parents for a fundraiser.  She loved it, so I thought I'd show her more."


"Hi Jenny, I'd shake your hand, but..." Aaron chuckled, his hands covered in various colors of paint.


"It's an honor to meet you.  I can't wait to see it finished."


"That makes three of us," Aaron laughed.  "What Justin doesn't know is it's my main piece for what I'm working on for my MFA.  He gets it at the end, but it's part of a collection, so his piece will be the one to have to complete the collection someday.  Or at least I'd like to think so."


"You're very talented, I think it'll definitely be worth something someday.  How did you guys meet?  Sorry, I'll ask Justin while you paint, we'll be quiet..."


"It's fine, don't be quiet on my account.  We went to high school together, I'm a couple years ahead but we played basketball together.  Even as a freshman I knew he had the chops.  I'd go to games while in college, watched him become the star player he is, and I like that I'll be able to say I knew him way back when..."


"Yeah, that makes two of us, pal.  I just wanted to show her the painting, we'll get going so you can focus."


They left the room, Justin leading her to his breakfast spot for coffee and breakfast.  "I feel like all we do is apologize to each other, but I'm sorry about Saturday.  I just..." Justin started.


"Want to be friends, I know.  I get it."


"I don't think you do, Jenny.  You're different from other girls.  I want to be friends with you, but I also really care what you think about me, so I had to shut things down before one or both of us did something we'd regret."


"I don't know that I'd regret..."


"Jenny, please.  As great as that kiss was, I don't know that I'm ready for more, not yet.  Like I said, you're different.  If all we ever are is friends, I at least want you to respect me, see the real me and not this jock star stereotype."


“You’re worried I won’t if we did what you talked about?”


“Yeah.  That you’d just see me as this player.  If things didn’t go well, I’d hate to lose you as a friend on top of a broken relationship.  Marie thought she could change me, and I admit I’ve changed some, but there are things that we would always bump heads over, no matter how long we stayed together.  I don’t want that to be us, if anything were to happen.  Like I said, I care what you think of me, and I don’t want to ruin that.”


"I'm ok with being friends.  I was just so worried about what you'd said before, and how I'd acted.  Yeah, it feels like all we do is apologize to each other for things."


"I'm glad you trusted me though, to take you to your dad, tell me what you did."


"Thank you for the party after, as messy as that was."


"I meant what I said, about admiring your strength.  My parents divorced when I was super little, I can't imagine going through what you are, the weight you carried on you over the summer.  Where are your mom and brother staying?"


"With my grandparents, my dad's parents.  We stayed there before, after we had to sell the house to try and get out from under some things with all of this.  I guess they pressed charges when we couldn't recoup all the money, there were a couple years in between all that so it's hard to tell."


"I'd like to do something nice for your family, I'm not sure what or how."


"Especially since that would mean I told you, and they don't exactly want it public knowledge..."


"I get that.  Let's finish up here and then we'll go to class?"


"I'm glad I took a shower last night then," Jenny laughed.


Justin tried to ignore his dick twitching in his pants at the thought of her in the shower.  "Good thing.  You can change after Chasez if you want.  Do you wanna grab lunch after class, unless he needs you to stay?  Which, what's up with that?"


"Nothing, he's harmless," she lied.  "I can have lunch.  Maybe we can grab some other people so it's not just us?"


"Is Maddie available?  Maybe she and Jake can join?"


"And make it a double date?" she laughed.


"I mean, she's your friend, he's mine.  We'll see who we can grab, or join some of my frat brothers, people from the team. We'll play it by ear."


They finished their food and went to class.  Thankfully for Jenny the day was uneventful, JC letting it slide that she was with Justin as they walked in as a larger group, not just the two of them.  Lunch was spent with classmates they ran into at the student union before her last class of the day.  JC had things to deal with for his doctorate, papers to grade for his classes, so Jenny was able to be in her dorm room the rest of the day.


There was a knock on her door, one of her classmates inviting her out to the common area.  She joined them, looking around to see if Justin was there.  


"I think he went back into the practice rooms, he's been spending a lot of time there lately."


"Oh, we'd agreed to work on our music theory final together, so I guess he changed his mind."


They all shrugged it off, Jenny feeling a little hurt that he was still being secretive about working on their final by himself.


...


"Ok, you ready to listen to it?" a young man asked.  


"Yeah.  You think it's ready?" Justin asked.


"One way to find out.  Let's give it a listen."  He pushed a button, an electric dance beat coming through the headset.  They listened to the song in its entirety, Justin bobbing his head to the beat, a satisfied smile on his face.


"Sounds good," Justin said.


"Sounds GREAT.  How's it gonna go down?"


"You're DJing the frat party on Saturday, right?  Hopefully I can get her to come and play it for her."


"Does she have any idea you did this?"


"None.  I just hope it works."


...


It was Thursday, and Jenny was at work.  Business was light, so she was glad she had fewer hours, she knew they couldn't keep her at full time anymore.  


She was stocking some books when she heard the tinkling of the bells on the front door as it opened.


"I'm in the back here if you need anything," she called out.


She continued her work, not hearing anyone, so she figured they knew what they were looking for or didn't need help.  


The voice right behind her made her jump and scream.  "Hi," the voice said softly.


"Justin, what are you doing here?  How did you..."


"Know where you work?  I picked you up from here last week..."


"Right.  God, you scared me..."


"Sorry, I guess I should have announced myself.  I looked around for a bit first."


"Why did you come down here? I'll be back on campus soon."


“I wanted to make sure I saw you. There’s a party at the frat house on Saturday, I was hoping you’d be there.”


“Probably, though I’m not sure how long I’ll stay, Maddie normally ditches me to hook up with Jake…”


“You’ll wanna stay, trust me,” he smiled. “So is that a yes?”


“Yeah. Not sure why you’re so eager, but yeah, I’ll go and I’ll stay for a while.”


“You’re making new friends, I just want to make sure you get some time with them. It’s like you disappear sometimes; you’re not at work or the dorm, not at the library or anywhere.”


She knew exactly where she was at those times, over at JC’s. She felt bad that he would try to find her and not be able to, but no one else would understand, someone could rat them out.  She knew she was lucky only Maddie knew the exact specifics and wouldn’t say anything unless it was really necessary.


“Is that the only reason you came down here?  To make sure I go to a party on Saturday?”


“I wanted to check it out anyways after I picked you up that day.  Anything good I should read?”


Jenny chuckled.  “You are asking the wrong girl.  Come by my room tonight and you can borrow from my personal library.  Then we’ll work up to these…”


“We’re taking an English class together.  You really think I can’t handle books in here?”


“You’re right… we’re in the children’s section now, so most of these should be safe for you…” she teased.


He shot her a look.  “Please tell me you’re joking.”


“You really do care what I think of you, don’t you?” she smiled.


“Yeah, I guess I do,” he blushed.


“Cuz I’m your best friend?”


“Yeah, exactly.”



There was a light knock on Jenny and Maddie’s door.  Maddie opened the door slowly.


“Justin, Jenny just left…”


“I know.  I actually came to talk to you.”


“About what?”


“Just let me in, and I’ll explain everything.  I need your help…”


“Girl, you have to look hot tonight.  Seriously, use this party to find a hot guy and get Josh out of your head.  You deserve better, and we’ll find someone better for you tonight.”


“You say that like you won’t go find Jake right away and start making out with him…”


“I promise I’ll be your wing girl.  Hopefully we find someone early on so I can find Jake.”


“Thanks, glad you’ll just pawn me off on the first guy you see,” Jenny huffed.


“No.  I know the type of guy I wanna set you up with.”  Maddie smiled from ear to ear, knowing the plan for the night.  “With any luck, you’ll be so caught up in this new guy you won’t even think about Josh beyond your professor.”


“I feel ridiculous, I don’t wear crop tops, Maddie.  This isn’t me.”


“Ok, what do you want to wear then?  I’m trying to set you up with a guy, you gotta look hot.  A little skin makes him wanna touch, makes them think of sex.”


“I’m wearing a black leather mini skirt, how much more skin do I need to show?” Jenny laughed.  “How about a tight little t-shirt, show off the girls but have a jean jacket on so it’s not quite so in your face.”


“Except any guy is gonna want those in his face, let me tell ya,” Maddie giggled.  


“I don’t want to get laid, I already have someone for that, Maddie.  He can’t give me a real relationship, that’s something I want.  As great as the sex is, I know it’ll never be more than that.  I’m not ready to settle down yet, but this isn't who I am.  I was in love with David, or at least I thought I was.  With Josh, things are complicated.  I want more from him and he can’t give that to me.  I want that balance, someone I love and great sex because of it.”


“I’m not saying you have to go back to his place tonight, unless you want to.  Do what you want, but try and find someone you could have that with and work your way up to it.  Go with your look, be more yourself.  If they’re the real deal they’ll like you no matter what you’re wearing.”


Jenny finished getting ready, putting on a light lip gloss before heading out the door.  They walked to the frat house, getting drinks once they walked in.  Jenny found some friends from classes, people she recognized, and started talking.  One guy from her English class struck her fancy, but Maddie shook her head in disapproval.  Any guy Jenny thought was cute, Maddie shot down.


“Some wing woman if you’re not helping me find a guy, just telling me no.”


“Cuz I know who I want for you, just gotta set things up right.”  Maddie looked around, seeing Justin.  She waved him over.


“Maddie, what are you doing?’


“Dance with Justin a bit, it’ll make the other guys totally jealous.”


“We’re just friends…”


“Trust me, it’ll work.  Just dance with him.  Let him put his hands on you.  Nothing gross, but enough to get guys to turn their heads.  You know any girl good enough for Justin Timberlake is someone to be going after.  Use him as bait.”


“I dunno.” 


“Look,” Maddie said.  “I’ll explain it to him and it’ll be fine.  Ok?  He won’t get the wrong idea.”


Justin made his way over, Maddie looking up at Justin.  “Justin, I’m trying to get my girl a guy.  Can you do me a favor and dance with her, make the other guys want to dance with her too?”


“We’re just friends, Maddie…”


“I know, but you want her to find somebody, right?”


Justin sighed.  “You know she won’t let up,” he said, looking at Jenny.  “Dance with me?”


“You’re right, she’ll push until we agree to do this, so might as well.  You better hope this works…” Jenny said, looking at Maddie as they walked off.


“Oh, I think it will,” Maddie sighed to herself.


Justin had her facing him, a little room between them as they danced to the music.


“I don’t know that that’s what Maddie had in mind,” Justin said.


“Well, that’s what she’s getting.  Unless you have a better idea.”


He turned her around, pulling her into his arms, nothing too tight, but his hands on her hips, her back pressed against his chest.  “Just follow the music, stay with my rhythm, it’ll drive the guys crazy,” he said, ignoring his body’s response to having her so close to him.


He looked at the DJ, giving a nod.  The song changed, an electronic dance beat blasting through the speakers.


“This is new, I’ve never heard this before,” Jenny said.


“It’s brand new, no one else even has a copy.  My friend’s the DJ, so I know…”

 

The verse started.  If I wrote you a symphony just to say how much you mean to me, what would you do?  If I told you you were beautiful, would you date me on the regular?  Tell me would you?

 

Justin began singing along in her ear, Jenny’s eyes widening.  “Is this YOU?”  She turned around to look at Justin.


“Yeah.  I’ve been working on it for the last couple weeks…”


“So you haven’t been working on the music theory final without me?”


“I mean I have, but not like you think.  I want it to be perfect before I present it to you.  This, well, I knew you deserved a big gesture.  I wrote this song for you, to let you know how I’m feeling.”


“So all this time you’ve been playing hard to get?  You knew I liked you and you pushed me away so you could use a song to tell me how you feel, in front of everyone?”


Her tone was getting louder and more annoyed.  Justin nodded slowly, afraid of what she’d do next.


She jumped into his arms and kissed him deeply.  “I loved it.  So what does this mean?”


“Hopefully it means you’ll be my girlfriend…”


She paused for only a second, knowing JC wouldn’t approve, but also knowing how she felt about Justin, not caring what JC would think.  She knew it was time to follow her heart.

 

“Yeah, I think I can work with that,” she smiled, kissing him again.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story