Jenny woke up the next morning, not really caring what she threw on to see her dad.  Seeing him was the important part.  She pulled her hair into a low ponytail, pulling on Justin’s jersey shirt and a school sweatshirt. She’d keep the sweatshirt on around JC, not reminding him more of the situation than she had to, but also wanting to support her boyfriend during his away game.


She walked across campus to the coffee shop, getting a drink and a breakfast sandwich.  She saw JC enter, waiting for him to get what he needed before walking out, giving each other space so as not to be obvious.  She followed at a distance towards the parking garage for his apartment, getting into a black Jeep.


“I guess I had you pegged as a different kind of car, a cool sports car or luxury sedan.”


“I mean, I have other cars, access to them, but this is my favorite.  I feel like a regular guy in this car, not who everyone assumes me to be because of my family.”


“Which is funny because I have no idea who your family is to know whether you have money or not.”


“My dad was the CFO for a multi billion dollar company, so not the face of the company, but he worked very hard for all his success.  My grandfather had been very important and prominent in the community, it’s a lot of pressure sometimes.”


“They want you to take over?”


“Ideally, but I think they know at this point it’s not happening.  It’s been over a week and no one has reached out to me saying ‘here’s when you start’ or even so much as an ‘I’m sorry for your loss’, so I think they’re thinking about someone else.  It’s not a family business, at least not anymore.  Great grandpa started it, grandpa keeping it small and local, Dad helping make it what it is now.  I’m proud of what he accomplished, I just don’t want it for myself.  I think that’s been hard for people he’s surrounded himself with to understand.”


He looked at her, sitting in his passenger seat, willing to drive her off into the sunset, leaving anything and everything behind.  “So, where are we going?  Unless we’re just gonna sit here.”


“Head towards the freeway, I’ll direct you from there.  I worry you’ll judge me once you know where we’re going, I don’t want you to get a head start on things.”


He pulled out of the garage, following her directions.  The drive was much shorter than public transportation would have been.  Things finally clicked when she told him to turn at a light that led to the correctional facility.  


“Your dad is HERE?”


“Yeah.  Now you know why I didn't say anything earlier.  Not anything to be proud of.  At least with rehab it would be a choice he made to better himself, not because of something he’d done and had to go.  I don’t want to get into this now.  You can wait inside for me, stay in your car, there’s a mall down the street if you want.  I should be back in about an hour and a half, they hold to a tight schedule.”


“I’ll go in with you, if you want.”


“You don’t have to.”


“Would you like me to,so you aren’t waiting alone?”


“If it’s not too much trouble…”


“Let’s go,” he said softly.


They walked in, Jenny checking in and waiting for her group to be called.  She cleared security, waiting in line to get on the bus.  She looked back at JC before fully leaving the lobby, JC watching as she walked with the group towards the bus.


“Hi Jenny,” her dad said into the phone.  “Good Thanksgiving?”


“Yeah.  I was with Justin’s family.”


“So I heard.  From how your mom talks, it sounds like things are pretty serious.”


“Honestly?  Yeah.  He’s got an away game, so I’m wearing his jersey in support.  Don’t tell Mom, not yet, but he wants to move in together.”

 

“You’re telling me cuz they’re plexiglass separating us, in case I get mad, aren’t you?”

 

“Kinda, yeah…”


“Jenny, if you wanna move in with him, that’s your choice.  Gammy and Poppy might not like it, but you’re 21, you’re free to make your own decisions about your life now.  Your mom and Tim talk glowingly about him, so I’m sure he’s a wonderful guy and that this would be a step forward.  If you were that nervous about it, I would be able to tell.  You seem excited at the prospect, nervous to tell me because you think I’d be upset, not because you’re not sure it’s the right thing to do.”


“I know it’s what I want, but being your daughter, I wasn’t sure how you’d take it.  I worry Mom will be upset, disappointed since we aren’t married.”


“You love him, he loves you?”


“Yeah,” she smiled.


“Then that’s all that matters.  School going ok?”


“Yeah, a couple more weeks until finals.  One more week of classes, then finals.  Christmas at home, Justin will come with me, then we go to Hawaii in January for a basketball game.  His mom has things all planned out.”


“It keeps coming back to Justin.  That’s how I know it’s real, jenny.  I’m glad you’re happy, I know with David things weren’t always so great.  You didn't tell me much, but I picked up on things.  I know I gave you a hard time about boys when you were younger, but I want you to feel comfortable talking to us about things, ok?”


She nodded.  They talked for a while before their hour was up. The time flew by, soon getting back on the bus to the lobby. 


JC smiled as he saw her walk towards him, a smile on her face from a good visit. They walked to his car, getting in and heading towards campus.


“Good visit?” he asked. 


“Yeah.  Not as great as being able to hug him, but I’ll take what I can get.”


“What happened? For him to end up there…”


“I’d rather not talk about it. I don’t know a whole lot anyway, not really.  Mom told me everything she knows, but even she doesn’t know much. I guess that’s to protect her from being an accomplice or whatever, not turning him in or something, I dunno…”


She’d been able to share with Justin so easily, but with JC she felt like she couldn’t tell him. Things still felt very surface level, even with him opening up to her. She didn’t want to share too much, get sucked back in. 


He pulled up to the curb closest to her dorm.  “I’ll see you in a bit. A black sedan will meet you here, I’ll be in it.  I can’t wait to see you, it’s going to make this more bearable for me.”


“I’m sorry you feel that way with your family. Things are really that bad with your mom? Do you have any siblings? I feel like I know nothing about you and yet I’m going to this funeral…”


“I just… really want you there.”


“Ok. I’ll see you in a bit.”


“I can arrange hair and nail appointments if you want…”


 “It’s a funeral, I think I’ll be ok.  But thank you.”


She walked into her dorm room, Maddie sitting at her desk studying. 


“You’re back early from seeing your dad…”


“I got a ride from someone. Told Dad about moving in with Justin…”


“Smart move, there was stuff between you and Justin is out of town.”


“He was surprisingly supportive. Hopefully Mom will be just as ok with things.  Not sure when we’d move in, maybe between semesters.”


“That soon? That’s in like 2 weeks to a month! I’m excited for you, I really am, Jenny. If that’s what you want.”


“We’ve already talked about marriage, kinda.  This is it, we both feel it.”


“And things are over with Josh, so I’m really glad you found each other.  I was nervous at first, but getting to know him, seeing how he treats you… I was wrong.”


Jenny started getting dressed, Maddie finally looking up from her books.


“Where are you going all dressed up?”


“My friend’s dad’s funeral.”


“Really, the dress Josh picked out for you?”


“It’s the nicest black dress I own, so sue me.”


She finished getting ready, grabbing a sweater before heading out the door.  She saw the black sedan, a man in a suit waiting for her. 


“Ms. Thomas?” he asked.  Jenny nodded, the man opening the door. 


Jenny got in the car, JC sitting on the opposite side of the back seat.  He wore an all black suit, save for a white carnation tucked into a pocket on the jacket.


“I have one for you, per my mother’s request for all attending.”


JC pinned a white rose onto Jenny’s dress, not caring about the sweater.  “I do love that dress on you…”


They made a short drive to an opulent Catholic church, sure that they didn’t attend there but wanted the nicest looking place for the ceremony.


He ushered her in through a side door, not where the line of guests was.


“Josh, I can’t…”


“Heather,” JC said, catching her attention, “this is Jenny. I need her to sit with you, or if any of your friends are here.”


“Oh, uh… sure, I guess.”


“Jenny, this is my sister Heather; Heather, this is my friend Genevieve.”


“Friend, huh? That mean she’s single?” a young male voice asked. 


“Neither the time or place, Tyler… My CHARMING younger brother.  She’s not here for you, not now, not ever…”


“Ugh, enough you two,” their sister said.  She looked at Jenny.  “You can sit with me, honey.”  Heather gently pulled Jenny’s arm to sit in the pew, Tyler sitting between his siblings, JC thankful for the space from Jenny so things weren’t too obvious.


The church began to fill with people, mostly people Jenny assumed had worked with or for Mr. Chasez.  Jenny looked at the picture of the man in the program.  He didn’t look like the man JC made him out to be.  He looked kind, caring, not a monster that made his son marry for business and duty.


She looked at his mother as JC walked her over, sitting her next to himself.  Again, she didn’t seem the aloof woman who would make her son marry for money, very confused about JC’s marriage. Was it all a lie he told people?  


The service started, Jenny hearing wonderful things about Mr. Chasez; stories of kindness, generosity, and love for others.  She wished she’d gotten to meet him, see for herself the man he was compared to what JC said.  It felt somber, certainly, but a celebration of life instead of mourning a cold and distant man.


The ceremony ended, moving to a reception in the adjacent hall.  Heather kept Jenny close to her, getting food together and sitting next to her at the table. 


Jenny scanned the room, seeing a stunningly beautiful woman laughing and holding JC’s arm, looking very cozy with him as he talked with people.


“Who’s that?” Jenny asked Heather quietly. 

 

“Her? She’s the reason you’re here, honey. That’s Alyssa, his wife…”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story