“Girl, you barely made it before curfew.  Where were you, with your sex god again?”


“Three times,” Jenny blushed. “He also helped me understand my English reading before the next lecture.  So it’s not just sex, though I’m not complaining…”


“Justin was looking for you.”


Jenny sighed. “We had lunch together after back to back classes.”


“Oh! I heard that new music teacher is a hottie! Chasez, right? You’re in his class?”


“Yeah, Justin is in it, too.  He wants to study for English together, work on the music theory final together.”


“Sounds like he wants more than that…”


“He has his girlfriend or whatever he wants to call her. I kinda caught them in the showers last night.  I didn’t see anything, but I heard them.”


“He’s such a bad boy,” Maddie said.  “Oh, rush is coming up. I wasn’t sure if you wanted to pledge or not…”


“Nah. We can go to parties, but I don’t have the time for that.”


“Your choice.  Jake told me his frat is having another rager this weekend, you wanna go?  Maybe you can get your hottie to come with you…”


“I dunno, maybe not.  He’s starting his doctoral program, he’s gonna be studying a lot, I’m sure.”  Studying ME, but she doesn’t need to know that.


 

Jenny walked through the common room on her way to her first class the next morning when she saw Justin waiting for her.

 

“Hey, wanna walk to class together?  Not sure where you’re headed, but I could walk you.  What’s your schedule, I was thinking we could go over Flatland before class tomorrow.  It’s pretty heavy stuff…”


“Ummm, I have two classes in the morning.  Tried to get everything all together if possible so I have a clear schedule for work next week.  I think I’ll have time moving forward though, I’m not working quite so much now.  Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, then weekend afternoons.  It’s a relief being part time now, actually.  I don’t think I could do full time work and full time school.”


“My parents told me if I take a full class load and keep my GPA high while doing well on the team, they’ll pay for everything.  It does take a load off, that’s for sure.”


“Define doing well academically…”


“3.5, haven’t missed a semester yet.”


“Impressive.  I guess being a jock I figured you took the easier classes.”


“Basketball and music are my passions, I’m treating both as full time jobs, making sure I have something to fall back on.”


“What would you do if basketball didn’t pan out, hypothetically?”


“Maybe teach high school, music or PE, be that rare combo of both.”


“You were one of those rule breakers that was in band and a jock in high school, weren’t you?”


“Actually, no.  Sports was my focus in high school, music was something I actually hid.  Sorry, am I keeping you from getting to class on time?”


“I’m free around noon if that works for you to grab lunch and study?  I know a great sandwich place next to the coffee shop…”


“Here a few days and you know all the hot spots, huh?” Justin chuckled.  “Where’s your last class for the day?”


“Psychology, yay for needing it for prerequisites…”


“I took that class last semester.  It’s not as bad as it sounds.  I have a class in the same building, wanna just meet downstairs and we’ll walk together to lunch?”


“Sure,” she smiled.  


They walked to their respective first classes, the day moving quickly.  Jenny walked to her Psychology class and saw Justin waiting for the elevator.


“What floor?” she asked as she stepped in with him and other students.


“Third.  306…” he replied.


Jenny smiled.  “I’m in 304.”


They got off at the third floor, Justin walking her to her class.  “I’ll wait for you here, if you want.”


“Ok.  If my class is out first, I’ll wait for you.”


Class went by quickly, Justin waiting in the hall for her with a smile.  They walked through campus towards lunch when Jenny’s eyes widened.  She saw JC heading onto campus, JC fighting to keep a straight face as he saw her walking with Justin.


“Ms. Thomas, Mr. Timberlake,” JC said coolly.


“Professor,” Jenny said, trying hard to not slip into a more sensual tone.


I am SO going to pay for that later, she thought.

 

 

They ordered lunch, sitting at a table while they waited for their food to be ready.  “So, you hid your interest in music?”


“I did the typical high school guy stuff, I was in a garage band with my friends to have an outlet, but my dad was pretty insistent on making basketball my priority.  I dabbled in other sports as a kid, but once I hit middle school, basketball was it.  I did what I could, but once I hit college, I knew this was my chance.  As soon as I could declare a major in high school with my applications and stuff, that was it.  My parents never knew, at least not back then.”


“Are they supportive of it now?  I mean, you’re a junior, right?”


“Mom more than Dad, but yeah.”


“Same.  I always had this dream of being a famous singer like Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera.  My dad means well, but he tried to squelch my dreams to avoid rejection.  Mom has been the more supportive one.  I mean, they both have come to things I’m in, but I think my dad wants me to have a more practical career.”


“They want us to dream big, but then when we actually reach for those dreams, suddenly they wanna stop it.”


“Is your dad doing that with basketball?  I mean, you’ve been scouted…”


“He wants me to graduate first.  I get it, but at the same time I have credits and I could always go back to school later, take classes during the off season and stuff.  Sometimes it feels like he doesn’t believe I could get to the level I’m going for.  I train really hard to be where I am, but it feels like it’s not good enough for him somehow.”


Their orders were ready, Justin grabbing their food.  “So, do we wanna talk about Flatland?”


“I guess,” she laughed lightly.  “I actually got some great insight from Josh yesterday,” she said.


“Josh?”


“Professor Chasez,” she corrected, a slight blush staining her cheeks.


“Oh,” Justin sighed.


“I was reading it at the coffee shop yesterday and he saw me, we sat and talked for a bit.  He took that class when he went here for his undergrad.  I’m actually really thankful, I was feeling in over my head with this book, afraid it would set the tone for the semester.”


“What were you expecting?” Justin wondered.


“I dunno.  I guess I’m more of a fantasy reader than science fiction.  Anyway, I could get good insights into it that I didn't get from reading it…”


Her phone buzzed in her pocket.  She took it out, seeing a text from JC.  I don’t like how close you and Mr. Timberlake are becoming.  I told you I don’t share.

 

There’s nothing to share.  We have classes together, that’s it.  She pushed her phone back in her pocket.  Her face shifted, looking slightly bothered.

 

“You ok?” Justin asked, looking towards her phone.


“Fine, it’s nothing.  Are you going to the party this weekend?”


“Which one?  It’s Rush Week, every frat and sorority is throwing a party…”


“The same one I ran into you and your… whatever.”


“Oh.  Yeah, I’m in the fraternity, so I kinda have to go.”


“You’re in a frat but you live in the dorms?”


“There wasn’t room when I joined, and I have friends in the dorm that aren’t in the frat.  I feel like living there would just make my reputation worse than it already is.  It still bothers me that you think…”


“I’m seeing a different side of you, Justin, but I also know the parts of you I’ve seen that do go with your reputation.  Most assumptions are based on fact.  You had your tongue down her throat and were in the girls shower together.  It’s almost like you’re two different guys.  I don’t know why it matters what I think, we’re just friends with classes together.”


Justin’s face fell a little, hurt by her words, though he’d never admit it.  “Oh, yeah, I dunno.  I guess I didn’t want to make a bad first impression.”


“You didn’t, you helped me carry all my books into my dorm room.”


“THAT is what was in that box?  Jesus, did you bring a whole library’s worth?” he laughed.


“Kinda, MY library anyway.  It was very sweet of you to help me without being asked to.  Again, I’m seeing this different side to you, walking me to class, working on projects and studying together.  Not what I expected once I heard more about you.  I’m pleasantly surprised.”


“Well, hopefully I can keep up with this new image for you.”


“Do it for you, not me or anyone else.  If you don’t want that stereotype, then do what you can to change it.”


They talked for a while, eventually going back to the dorm.  “Don’t take this the wrong way, but you wanna sit in my room?  Door open,” Jenny suggested.  “Or we can just hang out in the common area, I wouldn’t want Marie to get the wrong idea…”


“She’s got volleyball practice, I am meeting with her tonight for dinner and more training though.”


“Is there a yoga class that meets at the gym?  I was thinking of joining.”


“I think it’s Thursday nights.  Maybe I’ll see you around the gym?”


“I guess so, depending on when you go.  If I’m working, probably not.  I think I’m working 1-6 Tuesdays and Thursdays.”


“The class meets at 7:30, so that might work.”


“Don't tell me you had an ex that took the class, opr go to watch girls bending around…”


“I just happen to be observing as I’m going around to what I need,” he shrugged.


They walked to Jenny’s room, Maddie wasn’t there.  “She’s probably with Jake or something.”


“Frat president Jake?  Heh, she’s got more to worry about than what you heard about me…”


“Is that so?  Should I really warn her?  They hooked up at the party, not sure about since then.”


“He’s practically engaged.  I mean, it’s his parents setting it up, gotta love that upper class bullshit, still arranging marriages.  She’s hot, but boring as fuck.  Maybe Maddie can change his parents’ mind, if it makes it that far.”


“But does he sleep around?”


“As a form of rebellion against his parents, yeah.  Hard to say how long his thing with her could last.  If he told her about the party himself, maybe a couple months.”


“I’ll let her know.  Not sure how…”


“How what?” Maddie said walking through the doorway.  “What do we have here?”


“Just hanging out,” Jenny was quick to say, scooting away from Justin.  “He said Jake has a rep for sleeping around though, and something about an arranged marriage?”


“It won’t stick.  He’s majoring in business so he can go out on his own, not follow in dear old Daddy’s footprints.”


“Well, good luck with that,” Justin said.  “Just thought I’d warn Jenny to tell you.”


“Ok, weird.  You’re not sucking face, so what’s it to you?” Maddie asked defensively.


“Can’t just be nice?” he wondered. 


“You? Nice? That’s funny…”


“I’ll meet you in the common room, Justin…” Jenny said, Justin getting the hint and leaving.


“What is going on Maddie? I know you warned me about him, but seriously, what the fuck?”


“He dumped one of my friends with no reason why.  Went on to the next girl like she meant nothing to him. I don’t want him getting his claws into you, too.” 


“We’re just friends, we have classes together.”


“He likes you, Jenny. He’s ready to be done with blondie and you’re his next target… Though you being with Mr. Sex God helps a bit.”


“Can we not call him that?” Jenny asked. “Anyway, I can handle myself. I’ll just be in the common room.”

 

Jenny left the room, knowing Maddie meant well, but she wasn’t going to let herself fall for Justin that easily. He may have great eyes, an incredible smile, and actually be really sweet, but I can’t compete with Marie and that type of girl. She’s athletic, beautiful, someone you’d expect with a guy like Justin. Anything I thought was between us was over once I saw him with her. 

 

She saw Justin sitting on a couch, talking to a couple other students. Their eyes met, a smile spreading across his face. 


“Are things ok?” he asked. 


“Yeah, it’s nothing. Hey, you’re in our music theory class…” she said, recognizing one of the guys Justin was with. 


“Yeah, we were just talking about Chasez.  He’s intense, there’s stories from when he was an undergrad…”


“What kind of stories?”


“He was super jealous cuz some guy hit on his girlfriend at the time. Cold cocked the guy, knocked him right out.”


“Oh…” she said, her voice a little shaky.


“I heard he’s married, the lucky bitch,” one of the girls said, obviously into JC.

 

“Wait, WHAT?!” Jenny gasped.

Chapter End Notes:

The plot thickens...



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story