Author's Chapter Notes:

The "finale" I had in my head, but had wanted to leave the story open ended.  This is the way I think the story truly ends.

She stared at the two of them, a lump in her throat. She couldn’t do it. She’d made her choice, but just couldn’t let go of the other. She knew she had to, but couldn’t handle the disappointment that was sure to follow. 


“Who do you want?” JC asked. 


“Please, baby, don’t draw this out. If this is really goodbye, just make it quick.”  Justin’s voice was trembling in fear, that he’d be hurt the same way twice. He wasn’t sure he could pick up the pieces this time. 


She turned around, looking around JC’s apartment. Different memories attached to certain things. Things that had happened, and things she wished had. If he’d been that vulnerable with her before, picking up his guitar or playing a song for her on the keyboard. He had to do it publicly, putting her in this position. 


“Justin,” she said. She was mentally exhausted, her body struggling to stand. 


He had no idea whether she was choosing him or letting him go.


“I choose Justin,” she said, her voice stronger.  “I’m sorry, Josh.”


She heard footsteps behind her, a gentle hand on her shoulder. She closed her eyes as she felt a kiss on her cheek, the hand squeezing hers now. 


“We lasted longer than we should have. If all we had was that one night… I’m sorry I did this. I knew you were different right away, but I didn’t treat you that way. I didn’t open up to you.  You made the right choice, Genevieve.  I don’t fault you for that.”


She felt JC let go, silent tears streamed down her cheeks. He would never touch her again. It was a moment of relief and sadness.  “Justin, don’t you dare let her go.  You’re the better man, make sure you are EVERYTHING she needs, and more.  I’m leaving, Jenny. I’m moving.  I’ve received an offer I couldn’t refuse, unless you chose me. Now I can go with no regrets, knowing you made your choice with your heart. Goodbye, Jenny. I love you, and I’ll never forget you.”


She felt her other hand grasped gently, seeing Justin in the corner of her eye.  He turned to look at her, seeing her tears.  “Are you ok?”


She nodded silently, not wanting to say more at the moment. She’d said so much with a few words. 


“Let’s go home,” Justin sighed softly, wrapping his arm around her.


JC watched as they walked out the door, Jenny walking out of his life for good.  He sighed, knowing he’d given everything he could to try to win her over. He told her marriage wasn’t an option, so was he really surprised she’d fallen in love with someone else?



It was a quiet trip back to their apartment, Jenny afraid to say much of anything.  They got home, Justin opening the door for her.  He closed the door, looking at Jenny.  She avoided eye contact.


“I’m sorry,” she sighed. 


“For what?”


“For everything.  For sleeping with him, leading him on…”


“You tried ending it over and over, you did everything you could. This was all him.”


“I shouldn’t have agreed to go tonight.”


“But you did, and now things are over for good.  I admit I didn’t think you’d pick me.”


“Why?”


“Your history, his hold over you.”


“I love you, Justin. I never loved him. I wouldn’t let myself, thinking marriage wasn’t an option. As much as you both could offer me a lot of things, it only came down to one: that I loved you and not him.”


“I love you, Genevieve. Thank you for letting your love for me be what mattered most…” He pulled her close, kissing the top of her head.  “Let’s get to bed, I’m sure you’re exhausted.”


“Mentally as much as physically, yeah. Emotionally, too.”


They walked into their bedroom, Jenny still having trouble believing this was really hers and Justin’s.  It felt so fast but so right.


The feeling of Justin’s hands against her caught her attention.  “Let me undress you, baby,” he said softly in her ear.


“Justin, I’m tired,” she sighed. 


“I know, I just want to do something romantic for the woman I love.”


“And if it leads to sex, that just happens to be a coincidence?”


“Exactly.”


He slowly undressed her, getting her down to her bra and panties before undressing himself. He got into bed, Jenny looking at him.


“You really weren’t trying to get me into bed,” she said, surprised.


“Not sexually, no.  I’m hoping you’ll join me though to get some sleep. Then wake up to each other tomorrow…”

 

“I’d like that very much,” she smiled, knowing she’d made the right decision.

Chapter End Notes:

I have no current plans for a sequel, but there are ideas rolling around.  If you'd like a sequel at some point, leave a comment and I'll see what other ideas come to me.


Completed
nsyncsfan2001 is the author of 23 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story