Author's Chapter Notes:

10/9/22

“Maddie, I can explain, just keep your voice down…”


“How you’re fucking your married professor? This oughta be good…”


“I didn’t know he was my professor that night at the party, I told him I was an English major to sound more interesting.”


“He’s married, Jenny, what about that?”


“An arranged marriage, fucked up as it is,” JC interjected. “She doesn’t even live near here, she’s hours away based on my last known whereabouts of hers.  It was a business arrangement set up by our families.  She’s only my wife on paper, nothing more.  She’s seeing other people and so am I.”


“I still don’t like this.  I’ll keep your little secret, but only because I don’t want it ruining your reputation, Jenny.  Did you see Justin at all last night?”


JC’s eyes widened at hearing Justin’s name, his nostrils flaring as he waited for her answer.


“I was heading to the dorm, he was going to the party.  Why?”


“He seemed sad, like really fucked up.”


“No way.  I mean, Marie broke up with him, so maybe that’s why.  How did you know? I thought you were with Jake at that point…”


“You hear things.  We weren’t up in that bedroom ALL night, didn’t even start there,” she laughed lightly. 


“I asked him if we could be friends and his answer was really generic.  I can’t believe he’d be hurt based on what he said to me.”

“Is that what was upsetting you?” JC asked.  Jenny nodded slowly.  


“Well, I’ll let you two get dressed, the professor here can go out the way he came in,” Maddie said, glancing at the window.  She left the room, closing the door behind her.


“You’re upset over some boy?”


“He was my friend, until you got all jealous.  Now he barely wants to see me, as if seeing me is the worst thing in the world, something he has to do, not something he WANTS to do.  So thank you for that,” she said with disdain.


“He’s a boy, he doesn’t know what he wants.  I, on the other hand, know what I want and I’m not afraid to go after it.”


“If that’s your attempt at morning sex, I think the moment has passed.  The longer we take, the more likely someone will see you hopping out of my window.  I’ll talk to you later.  Thank you for last night, even with our conversation that still needs to happen.”


JC got out of her bed, beginning to get dressed.  She couldn’t help but stare at his body, toned in all the right places, biting her lip as he turned and she got a look at his ass.  She watched him open the window before looking around to make sure the coast was clear.  He gave her one final kiss goodbye before hopping out the window and walking off.  Jenny got dressed and went out to fix the screen, popping it back into place before going to breakfast.  


She decided on eating in the dining hall, being less likely to run into Justin there.  She grabbed eggs, pancakes, some sausage links, and fruit before sitting down at a table.  There were others in there, sitting with friends, talking, joking, laughing.  She sat by the window, looking out and within the dining hall, feeling very much alone.


“Hey,” a voice behind her said. She turned around to see Justin.


“I thought you didn’t want to see me anymore…”


“I was just thinking about last night. I saw you in the window as I was walking by.  I want to be friends, it’s just hard to shut off that part of me. When I start something new I dive in, so I can see how that might have scared you, me wanting to spend all my time with you. I like hanging out with you, though it did make Marie think there was something more.”


“So I am why you broke up.”


“Yes and no. She was upset to see us together so much, but there was more to it. It came down to the same thing it always does with her, with all of them.  So I’d like to just start with us walking to class, studying, and go from there. I can’t ask so much from you as far as your time, I’m sorry.”


“I was too harsh, and I apologize.”


“I’m gonna go, but I didn’t want you to think we weren’t friends anymore.  Last night kinda wrecked me a bit, seeing the hurt on your face. I never want to be the reason you feel like that.  I’ll see you around though, for sure.”  He gave an awkward smile before walking off.



The week sped by, Jenny was back at work part time.  She had taken the bus to her job at the bookstore, sitting on her break when her phone rang. 


“Josh, hi…”


“Jenny, I’m hoping you have today free. I have a fundraiser for the school, and I want you to be my plus one.”


“Wait, it’s for the school?”


“Yes. I’m the one sent by my family every year, and I’d like…”


“Do they know you’re married? They’ll recognize me as a student, this is too reckless, Josh. I’m also at work and have something else right after work.  I don’t think it’s a good idea for me to go with you.  If no one from school would be there, sure, but I can’t risk it, WE can’t risk people finding out.”


“Ok. Let me know if you change your mind.  I had made appointments for hair, get your nails done if you wanted, I wasn’t sure if you needed someone to do makeup.”


“How Pretty Woman of you.  Hopefully you didn’t prepay, but I can’t go, not if it’s for the school. I’m sorry. It sounds amazing though otherwise.”


“I hope I can see you after, though?” he asked, his voice full of suggestion.


“Text me when you’re done. If I’m awake I’ll come over.  I’m on my break so I gotta go.”


Her workday continued, her shift over before she knew it. She waited at the bus stop, a nervous pit in her stomach. 

 

I haven’t seen my dad since school started, I missed him when I first moved in. I hate that it’s scheduled the way it is, but I have no control over it.  Mom and Tim saw him this morning, so at least I get him to myself for the whole time.

 

She waited, looking at her phone. The bus was late, and she needed to get there on time or she’d lose her visiting time for another two weeks. 


She knew JC would be busy getting ready for the fundraiser.  She picked up her phone, looking at the contract as she pushed to call. 


“Hi Jenny.”


“Justin, I’m sorry to bother you but do you drive? I’m supposed to see my dad, the bus is late, and if I get there late I can’t get in…” She was starting to panic, her breathing shaky.


“Hey, it’s ok, Jenny, it’s ok.  Yeah, I’ll grab my car and give you a ride.  Just text me where to get you and then tell me where I’m going.”


“Thank you, Justin,” she said, her voice still shaky, truly appreciative.  “See you soon.”


She waited out in front of the bookstore for Justin, he arrived in a white Jetta within 10 minutes. She figured he was faster than a bus making frequent stops, and hoped that would help make up for the list time from the bus.


She got in the car, sighing as she settled in. “Thank you, really.”


“No problem. Where am I going?”


“I’ll give you directions.”


“To where?”


“You’ll find out when we get there…”


“Why won’t you tell me, Jenny?”


“Because I don’t want you to judge me or think less of me. I promise I’ll explain once I’m done, it usually takes at an hour start to finish.”


She gave him directions before he saw the sign for their destination. He pulled into the parking lot, not saying a word. 


“I’ll be back in about an hour, you gonna be ok?” she asked. 


“Yeah, I got my books in the car, I’ll do some reading.”


“You can come inside the lobby instead of your car.  There’s bathrooms, water, decent chairs, all things considered.”


“Do you want me to come in with you?” he asked. She nodded. “Then how can I say no?”


“You’re being really good about this, Justin…”


“No judging.  If you need me, I’m here. That’s what friends do.”

 

They walked through the parking lot into the building. The sign outside read “Elmwood County Correctional Facility”.

Chapter End Notes:

Getting a little backstory on Jenny's dad in the next chapter...



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story