Jenny signed in, Justin sitting down in the chair next to her.  She sat, a nervous ball still in her stomach, despite arriving in plenty of time. 


Justin put his hand on hers.  “What’s wrong?” he asked, noting her worried expression. 


“Getting here was half the battle.  Now I wait to see if I actually get to go in. Sometimes they go on lockdown because of a fight or something.  That’s the hard part, getting here to find out you came for nothing.”


They announced her group, Jenny looking at Justin as she stood up. “I’ll be back.  Thank you, again.”


She went through the metal detector before being led onto a bus and taken to the pod her dad was in. She got off the bus and walked into the lobby of the visitation rooms. She sat down in a private room, staring at the phone and the plated glass. 


She saw inmates walk in, anxiously waiting to see if he would come. She wanted to cry at the sight of him, missing him since the last time she was there.  They each picked up the phones on their side of the wall.


“Hi Jenny. I’m glad you came. I’m glad they let me see you and your mom and brother in one day.  How’s school going?”


“Still adjusting.”


“Making friends? Any boys?”


“Dad…”


“You know I do it cuz I love you.  How’s Maddie?”


“She’s good. Mom tell you we’re roommates?”


“Yeah. Tried to let you tell me as much as possible.”


They talked for a while before the line clicked, saying they had only a couple more minutes left of visiting.


“Ok Dad, I’ll be back in a couple weeks. I think we’re gonna do every other week I alternate with Mom, I know you only get so many visits…”


“I love you Jenny.  I’m sorry.”


“You say that every time, Dad.”


“I mean it.  I’m sorry this all happened, put all of you through this.”


“I love you, Dad.”  She hung up the phone as the line went dead. They put their hands against the glass, her eyes watering as she couldn’t get any closer.  She watched him walk down the hall, doing her best to keep up with him until we went down the next hall to his cell.  


She got back on the bus and went back to the main lobby. She saw Justin reading one of their English books, Justin tucking his makeshift bookmark into the book. He stood, waiting for her to approach him. They walked to his car, Justin opening her door for her.  He started the car and headed out of the parking lot.


Jenny sighed. “Where do I start?”


“Nowhere, if you don’t want to.  You went to see your dad?”


“Yeah. He’s been here the last two months, still waiting for a trial. They’re trying to build his defense, get letters of character from various people, I even wrote one for the judge.”


“You don’t have to-“


“Not like I can hide it from you, knowing where I was today.  He embezzled, like, a LOT of money. My guess is close to over 6 figures. He was the money guy for a small company, so he’d give himself bonuses and raises. Business was going well and I guess his boss that ran the company didn’t notice for a while. It all came out when they got bought out by a bigger company wanting their patents and stuff. Dad said he did them a favor, really.  They wouldn’t have been able to buy them out so easily otherwise. Not that it mattered. The new company pressed charges and that’s that.”


“What’d he spend it on?”


“Not sure. Mostly just day to day stuff, we did lots of family trips, nothing big until we did a trip to Europe.  2 weeks there must have cost a fortune.  I was blind to it all until things fell apart.”


“No wonder you felt so much responsibility.  Jenny, I’m sorry.”


“Yeah, well, you’re one of the few that knows.  To most of my friends, my dad’s just ‘away’, my parents are separated. The truth is much more complicated.”


“Why would I judge you for your dad’s mistakes?” he wondered. 


“I don’t know.  It’s not something you brag about, not usually.  I guess I worried you’d at least think less of me.”


“You have nothing to do with what he did, so why would I do that?”


She sat silently for a while, Justin driving back towards school.


“Hey, you wanna do something tonight?  My parents are dragging me to this thing, I have to get dressed up…”


“Is this a date?  Are they going to think I’m your girlfriend?”


“No and no.  I’ll make sure that if you’re introduced to anyone, that you’re just a classmate or friend.  I’ll be bored if you don’t come.”


“Well we can’t have that happen, can we?” she giggled.  “Do I need to get dressed up?”


“If you can.  If not, just wear what you want that’s nice.  My dad will be in a suit, thankfully I get to just wear a polo and slacks, maybe a bow tie if my mom insists…”


“Not gonna lie, I’d pay good money to see that,” she laughed.  “Sure, I’ll go with you.”


Justin smiled as he drove back to the dorms, parking in the lot near the campus for those living in the dorms.  “I’ll meet you at your room around 8.”

 

Jenny went into her room, seeing a bag on the bed.  There was a note on the outside of the bag.  In case you change your mind.  I’m sure you’ll look beautiful.  Josh

 

She opened the bag, a black lacy dress inside.  It had a black underlay to cover her body, but was mostly lace for something feminine yet a little sexy and refined.  It reminded her of what Kirsten Dunst had worn to the Oscars that year, but the skirt was a little longer, stopping at mid thigh.  It had a plunging neckline, but the dress would hold everything perfectly in place without a bra.


Maddie walked into the room, seeing Jenny holding up the dress.  “Going somewhere?  Married Man, that’s his new name now, dropped that off for you.”


“I’m going somewhere, but not with him.  I’m wearing this dress though, that’s for sure.”


“Where are you going, and who with?”


“With Justin, something his parents are dragging him to.  Josh wanted me to go to a fundraiser for the school, but I said it wasn’t a good idea.  Justin took me to see Dad after my bus was late, so I think he feels sorry for me.”


“He won’t feel sorry once he sees you in that dress.  Here, I’ll help you get ready.”  


“Only cuz it isn’t for Josh.”


“I mean, it helps, yeah…”


Maddie helped Jenny curl her hair a little, doing a subtle makeup look. Jenny twirled in the dress, loving the way she felt in it.


“It’s a shame Josh bought this for you and that is not a date with Justin. This dress would get you laid, slow and gentle… ugh, I’m jealous.”


“Of the sex I won’t be having? Well, I did tell Josh to text me later…”


“Jenny, you have to stop.  Is it really worth all this hiding around just for sex?”


“Not everyone has your experience. All I had was David, and now I have this. I can’t stop, Maddie. My brain says I shouldn’t, but my body can’t say no.”


“Well tell it to shut the fuck up.  I’m worried you’re gonna get hurt somehow with all this.”


“No worse than you and Jake…”


“He’s not a teacher!  Anyway, you’re going with Justin tonight.  Maybe you’ll get lucky and he won’t be able to keep his hands off you.  Maybe that will get Married Man out of your system…”


“Is it bad I’ve thought about it?  After seeing Justin last night, I wasn’t exactly in the right headspace for anything wild, I wanted something slow.  Josh said that’s not what he’s about, so instead I imagined what Justin might be like.  Passionate, attentive, but in a way Josh isn’t.”


“Only one way to find out, sleep with him!” Maddie encouraged.


“We agreed to be friends, I don’t think that’s what he wants anymore, if he ever did.”


“Well, you look incredible if I do say so myself.”


There was a knock at their door.  “That must be Justin.”  Maddie walked over, opening the door.


“Hi, just give her a minute,” Maddie said, looking Justin over as she blocked the doorway.  She closed the door softly.  “He cleans up well, I’ll say that.  He has something for you, too.  You’re sure this isn't a date?”


“Pretty sure, yeah.  Why?”


“You’ll see.  Go on out there.  Have fun, maybe a little too much fun…  It IS a Saturday after all…”


Jenny opened the door, walking down the hall.  She gasped quietly when she saw Justin.  He’s said earlier he would be in a polo shirt, but instead she saw him in a white button down dress shirt with a gray tie, black dress pants and matching dress shoes.  He looked at her, and his breath was caught in his throat.  She smiled as she saw a single pink rose in his hand.


“I’m gonna guess this is for me, unless you buy your mom flowers…”


“I do, actually.  She said I should give one to you.  Be prepared for her to try and play matchmaker, I stressed that we’re just friends…”


“Well, this is very sweet.  You look great, Justin.  Though I’m curious what the bowtie would have looked like.”


“I’d look like a waiter instead of the son of donors…”


“Donors?”


“Boring stuff, but it’s at the art museum a few blocks away, so at least we can look at the art while my parents schmooze.”


“Sounding more like a date, Justin.”


“Do most of your dates happen with parents and boring dinners?” he chuckled.


She laughed lightly, Justin taking her hand and leading her outside.  They approached a limousine, the driver opening the door for them.  Justin helped Jenny in before getting in himself.


“This must be Jenny, Justin’s ‘friend’, honey…  Hi Jenny, I’m Lynn, this is my husband Paul,” his mother hummed.


“Mom, you promised…  I’m 21, I don’t need you setting me up with girls.”


“Yeah, that’s not exactly his weakness,” Jenny smiled, teasing Justin.


“I just try to set you up with a proper girl.  Marie was nice and all, but she was too competitive.  I’ve seen her at matches.”


“It’s sports, it’s supposed to be competitive, Mom…”


“You aren’t that way.  You’re a team player, even though you could be cocky.  Marie tries too hard to make sure she’s the star.  It’s fine if you’re doing doubles and the stronger partner, but playing on a team, she should be more collaborative instead of trying to make sure she gets the ball.  Jenny, do you play sports at all?”


“No.  I just live in the dorms, Justin and I have some classes together.  We met when he was helping me move in.  I had a big box of books and he offered to help carry them.  Too bad I didn’t see the curb and we both fell.”


“That sounds like a cute story of how you met.  Then you realized you had classes together?” his mother asked.


“Yeah. We have two classes together and one just a couple rooms apart.”


She leaned close to Justin.  “Do they know our dorm is coed?”  He chuckled, nodding. She looked back at his parents. “We live in the same dorm, so we see quite a bit of each other throughout the week.”


The limo pulled up to the art museum, Justin helping Jenny out of the limo. There were appetizers passed around on trays and glasses of champagne. Jenny and Justin grabbed a little of both before Justin took her hand and led her away from the party.


He stopped her in front of a painting. It was beautiful; vibrant colors that spoke to her. 


“What do you see?” Justin whispered in her ear, holding her lightly. 


“I see light, hope, and love.  I feel more, but I can’t find the words to describe it…”


“It feels almost otherworldly, doesn’t it?  Like it’s something you’d never experience here on Earth.  I feel calm, yet excitement, and that hope. It’s one of my favorites from this artist, in this collection at the museum.”


“You come here a lot?”


“Kinda.  I was here for the opening of the exhibit.  I know the artist, a friend of mine.  Of course I came to the little informal gala they had; he’s a local artist that didn’t want a big fuss made.  It’s a great painting, he’s recreating a smaller copy for me.  He’s also working on one based on images from space, the brilliant colors in galaxy formations, the beauty in the organization of stars and planets.  I’ve seen a bit of it, he’s not finished yet. He’s doing his MFA at the school, so this is in his rare spare time at this point.”


“Just hearing you describe that painting, I’d love to see it sometime.  He’s really talented, to earn an exhibit here.”


“Do you want to see more of the exhibit?” Justin asked softly in her ear.


“Sure,” she said, his hand gently pushing on the small of her back to guide her around the room. They looked at piece after piece, each more beautiful and thought provoking than the one before it.


“I need to check in with my parents, do you wanna come with or look around some more by yourself?”


“I had a light dinner while getting ready for tonight, so I’m a little hungry,” she said with a giggle.


They headed back to the large room the majority of the guests were in.  She saw Justin’s parents talking with someone.  Her eyes widened in recognition.


“What’s this event for, Justin?”


“Raising money for the arts program at the school, why?”


Oh god, she thought to herself. This can’t be happening…

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story