Three days later Eve was sitting with Nicole in the cafeteria, being lost in thoughts. Nicole was finishing her chicken fajita, knowing exactly what was going on with her friend. 


„It’s just has been three days, Evy. He’s a busy man,“ she said with full mouth. 


Eve looked at her without responding. 


„You need to be patient,“ Nicole added.


„I think I worked up into something, which was just happening in my head,“ Eve answered. 


„Girl, listen to me. It’s more than obvious, that Justin is having a crush on you.“ 


Eve sighed. She couldn’t hide her disappointment, that she didn’t hear from him since their coffee date. The more she thought about it, the less she believed he was interested in her. 


„No. This idea was too good to be true, Nic. I think I should get him out of my mind.“ 


„Why are you giving up that fast?“ 


„Because he’s a married man. It’s ridiculous I was believing, there was something between us.“ 



When Eve returned to her desk, she saw Eric sitting with JC in his office. 


„Look who showed up for work.“ she thought.


Eve prepared some urgent documents which had to be signed from both of them. She didn’t want to interrupt their conversation, but it seemed to be the best opportunity to get their signatures quickly. With a folder under her arm, she knocked at the door and went inside. 


„Sorry for interrupting, but could you please sign this papers when you’re finished?“ she asked politely.  


„Sure,“ JC said.


She came inside and gave him the folder. 


„Honey, may I ask for a favor?“ Eric said, before Eve left.


She didn’t react and continued walking. JC was watching the scene, knowing exactly why she ignored him. 


„Eve?“ Eric said next.


She turned into his direction.


„Yes?“ 


„Did you just ignore me?“ he asked. 


„Oh, please excuse me for being rude, honey,“ she replied boldly. 


Eric frowned.


„Do you have a problem when I call you that?“ 


„Do you have a problem when I call you that?“ she repeated. 


JC was amused and tried hard not to smirk. Eric just stared at her, not really knowing how to react.


„Eve. I would like to have a cup of coffee,“ he finally said. 


This was the moment when JC started grinning.


„I understand what is happening,“ she replied.


Eric raised his eyebrows, waiting for more information.


„You must have trouble finding the kitchen, right? I mean, you’re barely here, so it’s not a surprise.“


„Did you really just said that?“ Eric asked, turning upset. 


„I can show you the way, if you like?“ she added. 


JC cleared his throat to get Eric’s attention. 


Eric looked at him, being outraged. 


„Can we move on with our conversation?“ JC asked.


Eve turned around and left his office.


„I can’t believe you let her talk to me like that!“ Eric complained. 


„She’s not a waitress,“ JC replied. 


„You can’t be serious, man!“ 


„Just leave her alone, okay?“ 


Eric scoffed. 


„You’re so dick-driven!“


„I’m not dick-driven.“  


„Then explain to me why you defend her bold behavior!“ 


„You’ve been disrespectful.“ 


„For calling her honey and asking for coffee? This must be a joke!“


„Just leave her alone.“ 



Eve returned to her desk and deeply sighed. Richard noticed and gave her a curious look. 


„I don’t like Eric,“ she said. 


„That makes two of us,“ Richard replied.


Eve smiled at him. 


„Richy…?“ 


„Yes?“ 


„I want you to join me and Nicole at lunch tomorrow.“


Richard immediately turned uneasy and shook his head. 


„You don’t need to eat anything,“ Eve added. 


„Where’s the point going for lunch without having lunch?“ he asked.


„You know exactly what this is about.“ 


Again he shook his head.


„I’m not ready for this,“ he said nervously. 


„Nicole is a stunning woman, right?“ 


„Yes,“ he whispered. 


„That’s why she won’t be single forever, don’t you think?“ 


„Is she seeing someone?“ he asked concerned. 


„Not yet. But you need to grab the chance, before it’s too late.“ 


„I can’t handle that pressure,“ he said, obviously being stressed just by the imagination sitting at one table with Nicole. 


„Richy, relax. It’s just lunch and not at a date. We aren’t there, yet. I’ll help you going through this, okay?“ 


He looked at her for a moment, before he finally agreed. Eve smiled all over his face.


„Good boy.“ 




It was next morning, 7:00 AM. Eve passed the empty desks, heading towards the kitchen. She was still not used being at work that early. 


As she didn’t expect anyone being in the kitchen, she terribly frightened as she saw Richard standing next to the coffee maker. 


„Jesus, Richy! What are you doing here in the middle of the night?“ she squeaked. 


„I couldn’t sleep,“ he confessed. 


Eve sighed and came few steps closer. 


„Is it because of our lunch date?“ 


Richard nodded. Eve felt pity for him, thinking about how to make him feel better. 


JC arrived at the office, longing for coffee. As he reached the kitchen, he heard Eve talking to Richard. Instead of going inside, he stopped standing in the hallway and listened to their conversation. 


„I didn’t mean to stress you so much, Richy. But I really believe you need to do something, if you wanna catch Nicole’s attention,“ Eve explained. 


„I know. It’s just… I have not much experience on that field…“ 


Eve smiled calmly. 


„I understand. I promise, today is just about having lunch together. All you have to do is joining us. I will manage the rest, okay?“


„Yes.“


„You look good, by the way,“ she complimented him. 


„You don’t need to say that, to make me feel better, Eve.“


„I said that because I meant it. This shirt must be new. The light blue color suits you very well. And you did something with your hair.“ 


„I washed it.“ 


Eve laughed. In the next moment JC entered the room. 


„Good morning,“ he said, heading towards the coffee maker. 


„Good morning,“ both replied. 


JC looked at Richard, as he was waiting for his cup to be ready. 


„Nice shirt, is it new?“


„Um, ya… thank you,“ Richard stammered. 


JC’s and Eve’s eyes met for a second. She realized he must have listened to their conversation and tried to help. 


„Did he just show empathy?“ She was thinking. 



Some time later, Eve was engrossed in her work. JC was sitting at his desk and watching her secretly. He was concerned about the fact, that he was barely able focusing on his tasks, since she was working for him. 


Eve’s cellphone started ringing. She picked up.


„If you call to ask in which club we’re going tonight, my answer is, everything but not the Sound.“ 


„I agree. Hell will freeze over before I put one foot into that shitty club again,“ Sandra replied. 


„Great, just pick something else and let me know.“


„First of all I want you to know, that I’m just buying a very slutty dress.“ 


Eve laughed. 


„Instead of buying a very slutty dress, you could spend the money for your own drinks,“ Eve teased. 


„Are you okay?“ Sandra replied cynically. 


„Just saying.“


„I have no time for this nonsense. See you later.“ 


„See you later slutty Sandy,“ Eve teased again, before hanging up. 


„What was that?“ Richard asked curiously. 


„Just my friend, being worried about her sex appeal,“ Eve explained. 


„I don’t understand.“ 


„Last Friday we went to a club and there was a weird situation with a bouncer. Since then no one dared talking to us. Sandra is still processing, that she had to pay for her drinks by herself all night.“ 


Both suddenly heard JC’s chuckling and stared at each other with their eyes open wide. Then they looked into JC’s direction. He felt caught.


„What was that?“ Eve asked irritated. 


„It’s Friday,“ JC replied. 


Eve looked at Richard again.


„Did you ever hear him chuckling before?“ she whispered. 


Richard shook his head. 


„He’s acting creepy today.“

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story