„You’re breaking my heart, Eve.“ 


„I know, Christian.“ 


„Our relationship last longer than than my marriage. And it’s definitely healthier.“ 


She smirked. 


„Still, I can’t go back with you.“ 


Christian sighed. 


„Be honest. Is this because of Tom?“ 


Evie leaned back into her chair, sitting opposite of her boss in his office. He was knowing her well. They worked together for almost a decade and became close friends over the years. 


„I can’t imagine going back and seeing him at work again.“


„What exactly are you afraid of? That he’ll manipulate you and make you go back to him?“ 


„No, it’s not like that. I simply don’t wanna see that man ever again, Christian.“


„Okay. I respect your decision. But you really break my heart, girl.“ 


She smiled at him, having a bad conscience. Christian was the best boss she could ever imagine. Giving up on her job truly wasn’t easy for her.


„I will miss you,“ she said. 


„Of course you will.“


Both chuckled. 


„Listen. In case you change your mind, be sure there will be always a place for you in my division. You can come back at any time, understand?“ 


She smiled all over her face and nodded.


„Thank you, Christian.“ 



After talking to her boss, Eve was on her way into the kitchen to make some coffee. Sandra saw her from distance, jumped up from her chair and hurried into her direction.


„What are you doing here that early?“ she asked her friend. 


Eve checked her wrist watch. Usually she wasn’t in the office before nine. Both continued walking next to each other.


„Someone woke me up early,“ Eve explained. 


„Who dared doing that giant mistake?“


„Chasez.“ 


Sandra gave Eve an irritated look. 


„Explain,“ she demanded, being curious what has happened. 


„He offered me the job.“


„Excuse me. What?!“ Sandra squeaked. 


„Please don’t ask me why, because I don’t understand myself.“


They reached the kitchen. Eve started the coffee maker. 


„Then you must have made something right.“ 


Eve shook her head. 


„Whatever this was…“ 


„So?“


„So what?“


„Did you say yes?“ 


„I did.“ 


Sandra stared at her in disbelief.


„But you said he’s an asshole.“ 


Eve cleared her throat. 


„Well. I’m not marrying him, Sandy. It’s just work.“ 


„Really? That’s your new mindset?“ 


„Look, it’s not like I have other options. Maybe it won’t be that bad. But if things don’t run well, I can still look for another job."


Sandra leaned against the counter and crossed her arms. 


„At least, he’s hot,“ she smirked. 


Eve gave her a sleazy grin. 


„Hell, yes.“


„When exactly are you leaving?“


„Two weeks.“ 


„What? No! I need more time to get used to this situation!“ Sandra complained. 


„You’re sweet saying that, honey. But JC asked me, if there was a chance starting earlier. I asked Christian and he agreed.“


„So, JC can’t wait to have you there, hm?“ 


„Obviously.“ 


Sandra pouted.


„This place won’t be the same without you.“


Eve smiled calmly. 


„It’s time for you making friends with the other assistants.“ 


„No chance.“




Two weeks later:


Eve was tired, but she was on time. Due to the fact, that her new workplace was not far away from her apartment, she needn’t to drive by car anymore. Somehow she even enjoyed her short walk through the empty streets from L.A. downtown in the early morning. The air was still cool and refreshing, while the sun was rising slowly. With a cup of coffee from Starbucks, she entered the office building.


„Hi,“ She said friendly to the receptionist. „My name is Eve Harper. I’m starting today at Chasez Records.“ 


„Good morning, Eve. I have your entry card. Please keep it with you all time, while you’re in the building,“ the receptionist replied.


Eve took the card and thanked her. Then she went to the elevators. No one was sitting at the front desk, as she arrived at the fiftieth floor. She went to the glass door and noticed it was closed. Then she checked her watch. It was 6:58 AM. 


„What now? Should I call him?“ Eve wondered. 


She saw her reflection in the glass door and made sure her clothes were in order. She was wearing a tight light blue blouse, black skinny jeans and black ballet flats. Her long hair was sleek and open. She underlined her big eyes with mascara and some delicate eyeshadow. Her lips were devil red. Again she checked her watch, being a little nervous now. It was 7:00 AM. In the same second the elevator arrived and the doors got open. Eve turned around and saw JC stepping outside. 


„Good lord…“ 


Eve felt her heart accelerating. Her breath gone deeper.


„How is he doing this to you?“ she talked to herself in her thoughts.


JC stared at her, while coming closer. He was wearing a white polo shirt, dark blue jeans and white sneakers. His face was fresh shaved. 


„Damn.“ JC was thinking. 


He stopped standing in front of her, noticing that she was pretty small. 


„No killer heels today?“ He teased, without any kind of expression in his face. 


Eve smiled cheeky, opened her Prada hobo bag and put black heels outside. Quickly she put them on, still being one head shorter than him. JC raised his eyebrows.


„Just my walking shoes,“ she explained, pointing at the ballet flats.


„Does it mean you live nearby?“ 


„Yes.“ 


„Good for you.“


JC went to the glass door and put his keys out of his pocket to open up. Then he let her walk in first. She smelled his perfume as she passed him by. It made her feel dizzy.


„He smells good. Of course he does.“ She thought. 


They went through the open space office. There were long desks standing in rows for round about thirty employees. JC stopped at a free table. It was the closest to his office. 


„This is yours,“ he said to Eve. 


There was a landline phone and two big screens standing on it. Eve also noticed a new MacBook, still being packed. 


„Richard will help you setting everything up. He’s our IT guy,“ JC explained. 


„Okay.“


„Let’s sit in my office. I’ll give you a short introduction what we’re doing here.“ 


Eve nodded and followed him inside. She sat down opposite of him at his desk. JC looked at her for a moment.


„Does she know how beautiful she is?“ he thought. 


Then he cleared his throat. 


„Do you have any idea how an independent record label works?“ he asked. 


„Yes,“ she answered confidently. 


JC raised his eyebrows again.


„Would you mind to explain?“ 


„Your label is organized quite similar to the big players like Sony, Universal or Warner. You’re the owner and president. But you’re not dealing with business affairs and legal stuff on your own, as this is not your core competence. You’re responsible for A&R, artist development, product marketing, promoting and new media. For the boring parts you have Eric Podwall, your vice president. Furthermore you do songwriting and producing, but that business is separated from your label.“


JC was impressed, but tried hard not to show it.


„Still we do things differently here, comparing to the big players,“ JC said. 


„I’m aware of that. As an independent label you’re not restricted to long cooperate approval processes. You can use creative marketing and financing tactics. And you can understand new trends faster.“


„Looks like you do know how google works.“


Eve just looked at him, not liking his teasing.


JC noticed and decided changing the subject.


„We are not formal here. You can call me JC,“ he offered. 


„Why?“ she asked.


„Why what?“ 


„Why people call you JC?“


„I’m not in the mood explaining this to you.“ 


„Why not?“ 


„Just google it.“ 


In the next moment a man knocked at the open glass door. 


„Good morning, boss. Sorry for being late. I forgot setting the alarm,“ he stammered.


„You’re fine,“ JC replied.


„Eve, this is Richard. He’ll help you with your hardware. 


She looked at him and smiled. Richard was a lanky guy in his thirties, wearing nerdy glasses and having messy dirty blond hair. His appearance why shy and insecure. He smiled back at Eve and flushed a little. 


„Um… I sit opposite of your desk… that’s where you’ll find me,“ he said. 


Eve nodded and thanked him. Then she gave her attention back to JC. He continued talking. 


„Your main task is organizing my day. At some point I want you to represent me in meetings. That why you have to be always updated about our clients and their currents projects. Of course you have to be perfectly informed about our business partners, as well. Please never underrate the importance of public relations and social networking.“


After talking about further business related topics, JC checked his wrist watch. 


„I guess this was it for now. Our weekly team meeting is scheduled at eight. I will introduce you to the rest of the staff then.“


Eve nodded and stood up. She expected him to say something nice and wishing her a good start. But he didn’t. She forced a short smile and left his office.


„Stop staring at her ass!“ JC thought.


He had a perfect view at her desk through his glass wall. His eyes were still on her, as she sat down and begun unpacking her laptop. Then he saw Nicole coming closer, with a big bunch of colorful flowers in her hand. She stopped standing in front of Eve, smiling friendly. Eve frowned. 


„These are for you,“ Nicole explained and gave her the bouquet. 


„Really?“ Eve asked surprised.


There was a small card on top of the flowers. She took it and opened it up. 


Congrats to your new job, Eve!

Looks like my shirt brought you luck. You’re welcome ;)

See ya, J

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story