It was short before lunch time. Eve didn’t get any tasks from JC the whole morning. As she was going to quit, she didn’t see any reason reading up on current projects and was terribly bored. Luckily Nicole suggested having lunch with her again. It was her highlight of the day. 


As it turned 12:00 PM she took a deep breath and stood up. She hated informing JC, that she was going for lunch. She wished not talking to him at all. But that wasn’t an option. 


JC saw her walking in his direction. He couldn’t tell, if she was sad or angry. Probably she was both. She stopped standing in the doorstep. 


„I’m out for lunch,“ she said emotionless. 


JC nodded. Before she turned around and left, he decided to make her stop.


„Eve?“ 


„Yes, JC?“


„What did you do the whole morning?“ 


„Nothing,“ she replied.


It was the truth. She did absolutely nothing and just thought about her relocation to Germany. She needed to sell her apartment quickly, which she loved so much. Leaving L.A. was breaking her heart. But that’s how things were now. Staying in the US being unemployed and just hoping to find a new job in the next couple of weeks was too risky. 


„Close the door,“ he ordered. 


Eve did what he said and felt deep anger rising up again. She knew one wrong word from him would make her explode like a nuclear bomb. It was a smart decision closing the door, first. 


„Please sit,“ he said next, pointing at the chair opposite him. 


„I have a lunch date,“ she replied. 


„I’m sure Nicole will understand.“ 


Eve rolled her eyes and took her seat. She crossed her legs and her arms, still staring at him. He looked back at her and got lost in the moment. Her attitude was turning him on badly. He imagined having rough sex with her at his desk and realized quickly, that he was getting hard.


„Stop it!“ He talked to himself in his mind. 


Then he cleared his throat and returned to reality. 


„Let’s try this again,“ he said.


„Try what?“ 


„Obviously we’ve had a bad start.“ 


Eve scoffed. 


„Calling it bad start is giant understatement.“


JC understood, that she was mad at him and tried very hard to keep himself calm.


„I don’t want you to quit, Eve. Neither I plan firing you.“


She was very surprised hearing him say that. Was he reading her mind?


„Why not?“ she wanted to know. 


„Because I’m fucking crazy for you and can do nothing about it,“ he thought. 


„Why not?“ she repeated, as he was lost in thoughts. 


JC cleared his throat again.


„I believe we can make things work, if both of us learn to control our stubbornness.“ 


„I’m not stubborn.“


He raised his eyebrows. 


„Eve realized in that moment, that she needed to show some good will, as well.“ 


„Why are you always in a bad mood?“ she wanted to know. 


„I’m not always in a bad mood,“ he answered. 


„Are you saying, that’s your happy face?“


JC noticed she enjoyed teasing him and was restraining a smile. He was aware of, that she was easy making friends with. She was openminded and kind and even her sass was brutally charming. But if he opened up himself to her, he would lose control and fall for her even harder, than he already did. 


„Yes, it is. But my Friday face is even brighter,“ he talked back. 


„Oh, really? Can’t wait to see that.“


„Means, you’re not quitting?“


„Not before Friday.“ 


There was a small smirk on JC’s lips. 


„Did you just broke the ice, Eve?“ she was thinking. 


„Good, as we clarified that, enjoy your break after having such a busy morning.“ 


Eve stood up and gave him a sassy grin.


„Awww, I’m so happy you appreciate my hard work.“ 


Then she turned around and left his office. JC watched her walking away and shook his head. 


„That ass is too much for your nerves… she’s too much for your nerves… you’re so, so screwed, man…“ 




„I’m sorry for keeping you busy with my new contract,“ Eve apologized. 


She just explained to Christian on the phone what has happened with JC, after finishing work for today. 


„Don’t worry, girl. The only thing which matters to me is, that you’re happy.“


Eve sighed. 


„Certainly I’m not happy at this point. But JC very obviously noticed that things went terribly wrong. And he’s willing to give us another chance.“


„It’s a smart move not giving up that quickly. And as I already told you, my door will always be open for you. Just look how things turn out.“ 


„Thank you so much, Christian. You’re awesome.“


„And so are you.“ 




It was 7:45 AM in the next morning. JC completely overslept and hated it. He entered the office building, hurried to the elevators and arrived at the fiftieth floor short after. As the doors got open, he saw Eve sitting at one of the sofas in the waiting area. She was holding a coffee cup from Starbucks in her hand and was asleep. JC stopped standing in front of her and watched her for a moment. Her face looked peaceful and calm. He smiled without noticing.  


„You want to kiss this devil red lips so bad…“ 


The other elevator brought him back to reality. Nicole stepped outside, wondering what was going on in the waiting area. She went to JC and started giggling, as she saw Eve sleeping at the sofa. 


„That poor thing is not an early bird. Why are you torturing her?“ Nicole asked. 


„I’m not an early bird, either. It’s a matter of self discipline,“ he answered. 


Nicole checked her wristwatch and raised her eyebrows. 


„Don’t say it,“ he warned her. 


She scoffed and went to her desk. JC gave his attention back to Eve and cleared his throat loudly. 


Eve opened her eyes and gave him a smugly grin. 


„You’re late.“ 


She stretched herself, before standing up right in front of him. The smell of her perfume made him feel dizzy.  


„No lame excuses?“ she continued teasing. 


„You snore,“ he lied, just to tease her back. 


Eve gave him an outraged look.


„I don’t!“ she contradicted.


„Lie to yourself, if it makes you feel better.“ 


Then he went to the glass door and opened up. 


„Nicole, please make sure Eve receives an own master key,“ he said, before entering the open space office. 



Few hours later Eve was engrossed in work. JC asked her to make herself familiar with all current productions and prepare a status update for his meeting with his producers after lunch. 


At some point she made a short break, as she needed to pee. Feeling a little stressed, she rushed out of the bathroom, as she was finished. 


„Outch!!!“ She suddenly heard a male voice yelling.


She noticed, that she must have hurt somebody, as she hastily opened the bathroom door. 


„Oh no…“


Eve was shocked and amused at the same time, as she saw Justin rubbing his forehead. He also spilled his coffee over his light blue t-shirt. 


„This must be a joke.“ he complained, as he saw Eve’s face. 


She started laughing and wasn’t able pulling herself together again. Justin tried staying serious, but it was hopeless.


„You think this is funny, hm?“ 


Eve nodded, trying hard to calm down somehow. 


„I’m sorry… I really am…“


„I want your shirt!“ he joked. 


Again she bursted out laughing. He smiled all over his face, enjoying her amusement. 


„I’m not giving you my shirt, but I can try to fix yours. Come on,“ she finally answered.


She grabbed his hand and pulled him into the kitchen. Then she took a fresh kitchen towel, made it wet and stepped in front of Justin.


There was a sudden intimacy between them. He gazed at her, as she was rubbing the fabric gently, still having a big grin on his face. 


„You owe me another coffee,“ he said. 


She glanced into his eyes, giving him a charming smile.


„I agree. Is your forehead okay?“  


He touched his little bump, giving her a reproachful look.


„I have a foto shoot this afternoon.“ 


Again she chuckled. 


„Don’t worry. They have foto shop.“ 


„You are a dangerous woman.“ 


„Instead blaming me, you should better stop walking with open beverages through the office.“


„Believe me, I learned my lesson.“ 


Both smiled at each other again. In the same moment JC entered the kitchen, being completely irritated seeing them standing close. He felt jealousy rising up. 


„What are you doing here?“ he asked to get their attention. 


Both turned their heads in his direction. 


„She ruined my shirt,“ Justin replied, looking at his friend. 


„I didn’t ruin anything. Look, the spot is gone,“ she contradicted.


„But I’m wet now.“


„Being wet is not a bad thing.“ 


„Did she really just said that?“ Both men were thinking at the same time. 


Eve enjoyed shocking them and stepped back from Justin. She put the towel aside and gave him another smile. 


„Hey, um… thank you for the flowers, Justin. They’re beautiful.“ 


„My pleasure,“ he replied. 


„Let me know, when you’re free for a coffee date.“ 


„Be sure I will.“ 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story