Mikayla finished washing herself in the shower while JC threw on a tee and boxer briefs. He pulled out his phone, taking a few minutes on there while he waited for her to be finished.


She dried off, walking naked through the bedroom to her closet, picking out something to wear. 


“I liked that loose sweater thing you had,” JC called out.  “It looked really comfy.”


She threw on a tank top and shorts, pulling the off the shoulder sweater over her.


“Let’s go downstairs and call my mom,” JC sighed. 


They went downstairs, opting to sit on the couch. JC pulled out his phone. 


“I told her I’d call,” Mikayla said. 


“Not like she wouldn’t answer if I called,” JC laughed. He pressed his mom’s contact on his phone, waiting for her to pick up. 


“Hi Josh,” Karen smiled.


“Hi Mom. I have something I wanted to tell you.”


“I know it’s a touchy subject, but I texted Mikayla yesterday for her birthday…”


“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about. I’ve had some time to process this last week or so. I saw her at a thing with her school, I found a site they really want to use. We got to talking…”


“How are things then? Are you two okay?”


JC panned his phone to fit Mikayla in the shot. “Hi, Mrs. Chasez…”


“Josh, it’s early in California, she’s married to Justin…”


“Having coffee, Mom,” JC lied. “There’s something you need to know. Kayla, I think you should tell her…”


“Oh no…” Karen sighed. 


“The twins are mine and Josh’s. From right before we broke up. You’re a grandma.”


“You’re sure they’re his, not Justin’s…”


“Very. He was the only option. I know things went fast with Justin, but because I was pregnant. I tried telling Josh, but he wouldn’t talk to me, deleted the voicemail I left telling him everything.”


“So the last 4 years…”


“Justin has been raising Josh’s babies, yes.  Our son is Joshua Miguel…”


“How do you feel about all of this, Josh?” Karen asked carefully. 


“I’m ecstatic. I get a piece of what we wanted for so long. I regretted so much that whole time, but at least now I get some of that back. We’ve been talking with Justin, we’re gonna quietly figure out custody stuff and guardianship, everything. It’ll all be very open…”


“Justin rented a cabin near Yosemite for Christmas, there’s plenty of room if you want to fly out and meet your grandchildren…” Mikayla smiled.


“You’re really ok with this, Josh?”


“I’m great, Mom.  We’re on good terms, I have kids with the woman I wanted them with… I know it’s not an ideal situation, but we’re going to make it work.  I really think the only reason I’m on board is because it’s Kayla.”


“I’ll talk to your dad and tell him we’re flying out to California for Christmas!” Karen smiled. “I’m glad you’re working things out, I just wish we’d known sooner.”


“I didn’t want it said during an argument, and any time we were around each other it was heated or just not the right moment.  I wanted the situation we got, seeing each other with no tension, no anger, and talked things out. I wanted to tell him right away so he could decide what he wanted. There was no hesitation, and it’s good. I’m gonna tell the twins, so he can be part of Father’s Day and not feel left out. I hope it goes well, I’ve been telling them stories about him, watching old *NSYNC performances and things, even that one that you were on with all the moms… They’ve taken to him well so far, so I’m hoping that helps.”


“I need to go, but send me pictures and things for sure, maybe we’ll come out sooner to meet them before Christmas. I’m a grandma!” Karen was over the moon at the news.


“You’re already a grandma, Mom. Eliana…”


“You’re an uncle, that’s great,” Mikayla smiled. 


“Last year, yeah.  She’s pretty cute, but I gotta say I’m biased that Barb is the cutest.”


“We named her after my grandma.  Barbara Renee.  Quite the spitfire. Let me get my phone and I can show you a picture from yesterday…”


Mikayla quickly pulled out her phone, pulling up a picture of all of them playing in the sand. 


“She’s beautiful, spitting image of her Mama.  And little Joshy is just like his daddy.  Oh, I can’t believe it!! I’ll talk to you soon, both of you.”


“Bye, Mom,” JC said before ending the call. Mikayla was scrolling and tapping on her phone. “Finding pictures to send her?”


“Yup.  I should send you baby pictures, like the day they were born. Justin got some great ones of me holding them.”


“Is it bad I wanna pretend Silas is mine when I hold him for the first time?  I missed holding them that little…”


“Maybe it’ll be like when Justin held them. He knew they weren’t his, but he knew he was going to love them as if they were, and I’d say he’s done a damn good job so far.”


“He has, and I’m really glad for that. You didn’t do it alone and raised them to know me and like me, in spite of everything…”


“I figured at some point they’d know the truth, and I didn’t want them hating you before they met you. The farther we got from when it all happened, the less upset I was with you. Did I wish you’d listened to the voicemail, wondered what our life would be like? Yeah.  But I stopped hating you for it a while ago. Now I’m back in love with you, as complicated as it is…”


There was a knock at the front door. Mikayla looked confused at JC.


“Go get the door, seeing as you’re dressed…” he sighed. 


Mikayla got up, hesitant to answer and see who it was. She opened the door, seeing someone drive away and a bag on the doorstep. She carried it in carefully.


“What’s this?” she asked, holding up the bag.


“I ordered breakfast through DoorDash…”


“What’s that?”


“Seriously? It’s delivery even if the place doesn’t offer delivery. They partner with the app, you order, and a driver picks it up and drops it off for you.  I don’t normally do it cuz of where I live, but it’s been helpful at times.”


She sat back down on the couch, pulling the items out of the bag. “Did you seriously get me eggs benedict delivered?” she laughed. 


“Along with blueberry pancakes and their incredible breakfast potatoes. Bell pepper, onion, and this amazing spice blend.  I still use a little ketchup cuz it’s my thing, but you could try it with the hollandaise sauce.”


“You sound like you’ve tried that combo before.”


“Maybe, especially thinking of how you’d like it.”


“You think of me a lot, like that?”


“I never really stopped, Kay.  Even when I was mad at you and Justin, something would remind me of you.  I was too proud to admit it most of the time. I never stopped loving you, Kay.  I’m sorry it took me this long to get my shit together…”


“I’m a mom to twin preschoolers. I barely have THEIR shit together, let alone mine,” she laughed. 


He grabbed his Gatorade, handing Mikayla one. “To getting our shit together, together…”


She tapped her bottle to his in a toast, unscrewing the cap to guzzle a few swallows before starting on her food. 


“You want some juice or tea? I can grab it. Spoil the pregnant woman, like I should have then…”


“I was plenty spoiled, don’t worry.”


“Tell me everything, I want to know what I missed out on between them and now.”


“You’re sure?”


JC nodded. Mikayla told him about going to the Bahamas, the weddings, doctor visits, everything. 


“The scariest part of the pregnancy was when they were doing the anatomy ultrasounds. We didn’t know it was one of each until then, and they found a small hole in Joshy’s heart.”


“Is he ok? I didn’t see any scars or anything.”


“Thankfully it didn’t grow as he did, so it was something they decided didn’t need anything once he was born. By his first birthday it was fixed all on its own. We got really lucky. Justin was ready to get the finest pediatric cardiologists and surgeons if necessary.”


“He’s been a really good dad to them, I’m glad he gets to have one of his own.  Just wish it was with someone else, and I was with you.”


“We’re together now, that’s what matters,” she said, squeezing his hand.


They finished breakfast as she talked, going back up to the bedroom so JC could get dressed. Mikayla put the sheets in the laundry before sitting back down on the couch downstairs.


“I should let you get home, don’t want to take up TOO much of your time and create jealousy…”


“I live with him, I think he’ll be ok with a few more hours.  Are YOU going to be jealous, knowing he gets me every night?”


“Not EVERY night, and I’m sure you’re not back at it every day again, with the exception of this last week…”


“No, we’re not.  It’s weird though.  I wish it was.  I think the want is there, for both of us, but the exhaustion of being a parent, it just… doesn’t always allow for that.  Not that we NEED to, we know what we mean to each other…”


“That’s why it’s more on the hot side instead of romantic, there’s that buildup, frustration,” JC sighed.  “Maybe that’s what you need right now.  Hot with him, slow and sensual with me.  As much as I like the hot, I can definitely channel it into the other for you.”


“I want both sides, with both of you.  I don’t know how this is going to work though, getting to spend that time together.”


“Maybe we can create a schedule.  Certain days we know are with me.    I like the idea of a weekly movie night with the kids.  Maybe we alternate whose house it’s at and that’s where you stay for the night, Justin taking the twins home or me going home.  Then we alternate nights.  Like I’d get you Friday night, Justin Saturday, then me Sunday, then the next week we’d switch…”


“That sounds extremely complicated, and wouldn’t people notice we’re spending a lot of time together?”


“Maybe we need to tell the world about this.”


“Josh, no.  This kinda thing could ruin both of your careers.  You’ve worked so hard…”


“Trust me, I think Justin has enough in the bank that if he never works another day in his life, he’d be fine.  Put enough in the right investments and he’d be set for sure.  I’ve got plenty saved up, staying on the board for the school would cover me…”


“That pays THAT much?”


“You know how much I made when we first met.  Are you making at least that?”


“A bit more, actually, but it’s been a few years.”


“Well, triple that.”


“Jesus…”


“I still find it funny that you dated me for almost 5 years, you’ve been married to Justin for 5 years, and money matters still shock you on how much we bring in.  That I spent 6 figures on jewelry for you, when your wedding in Italy was probably 8 figures, if not more.  It might bother you, spending that much, but we have no problem spending it on you, the twins, because you’re worth it.  You know we both would spend our last dimes to make sure you were taken care of.  I don’t think it’ll be that big of a deal as far as ruining our careers.  There’s still royalties, which don’t make us rich, but it’s still steady…  I don’t want you worrying about this.  It can’t be good for the baby.”


“Now you sound like Justin did,” Mikayla smiled.  “Stay, just a little longer.  Please.  I need to wait for the laundry anyway.”


JC smiled.  “Make out on the couch?”

 

Mikayla hummed.  “Better do a lot more than make out…”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story