“I’m glad you made it,” Mikayla said quietly.  They sat in the last row, trying not to garner attention.  She knew, of course, that wouldn’t last long.  It was a small auditorium and she was sitting next to Justin, JC, and Lance.  They weren’t about to miss the twins’ first on stage performance.


JC wrapped his arm around Mikayla, Justin’s hand resting on her thigh.  They smiled as the kids took their places on the stage.  It was mostly songs, a little dialogue that was very short.  Mikayla got excited as she heard the intro to one of the songs.


“This is it, if you’re gonna record, do it now!” she encouraged.


JC watched in awe as he saw Barb doing the choreography, adding her own bit of flare.  Then it happened.  Joshy had his solo, and the power they heard from such a tiny human, they knew this was something.  This must have been how their parents felt discovering their talents, the pride they felt, and wanting to encourage it without also forcing it upon them.  JC had felt enough pressure over the years to know he didn't want his son to feel the same way.  If Joshy wanted to do something with music, it would be encouraged, not forced upon him.  It was clear dance was in Barb’s blood, Mikayla thought of all the times she’d catch her just dancing to the music in TV shows or commercials.


Mikayla knew this moment would be important, but didn’t realize just how big.  Joshy wasn’t always singing around the house like Justin was, singing songs or just humming something in his head.  He was reserved, like JC, keeping the music inside.  She smiled, knowing eventually it would need to just burst out of him, like it had just now.  She thought of what she knew of JC and Justin growing up, wondering if either twin would take a similar path as their dads.


The performance ended, their group waiting for some of the audience to thin out before standing up. 


Barb had other plans, running up to the tire they were in. “Daddy!” she yelled, jumping onto his lap and into his arms.


“You did great out there, baby girl,” Justin beamed. “Crushed that choreography…”


Joshy followed shortly behind his sister, a smile on his face. 


“You were great, buddy,” JC smiled.  He wanted desperately to hug his son in that moment, having to accept him wanting to hug Mikayla instead.


Lance just looked at them, surprised at how things had turned out.  “You’re a lot like your dad, that’s for sure,” Lance said, the other adults giving him a look.


Lance left soon after, as the rest of them went to the classroom for a little party.  Parents were looking at them as they had JC with them, some approaching them to make small talk.


“Do you normally talk to these parents?” JC asked Mikayla.


“Nope. Not even when Justin comes with me,” she whispered in reply. 


“So they’re here because of…”


“You… yeah.  I’m glad tonight is movie night at your house, cuz I need to do something about this attention you’re getting.”


“The only attention I want is yours,” he said softly.



They sat in JC’s living room, eating pizza before starting the movie. 


“You guys did so great today,” Mikayla smiled. 


“Daddy, were you nervous the first time you sang for people?” Joshy asked. 

 

“No, I knew I was good at it, it was fun. JC, tell them the story about MMC…”

 

“I’ll go one better. My friends dared me to join a dance thing because there was a girl I liked and there was a cash prize. I’d never danced before, not really, but I won. After that, I was at auditions for MMC, not really expecting to make the cut. Matt, the guy running auditions sees me and asks me to sing. As soon as he heard me sing, they told me I was in.  I hadn’t really thought about it, but it turned out I was really good at it, and it was a lot of fun. A few years later I met that one, and the rest is history,” JC said.


“I was nervous at first, when Ms. Maribel told me she wanted me to sing by myself, but when everyone was watching, it just felt right.”


“You get them from your daddy,” Justin sighed. 


“But you said you knew before then, it was fun…”


Mikayla bit her lower lip. “We have something we need to tell you. You like JC, right?”


The twins nodded. “He’s fun, I’m glad we’ve been hanging out,” Barb answered. 


“Well, he’s gonna be around a lot, you’ll be around him…”


“Tell them, Kay.  You’ve never beat around the bush with them on things…” Justin encouraged. “You’ve rehearsed this, kinda…”


“What, Mommy?” Joshy wondered. 


“Well, you know how I told you mommies and daddies make a wish for a baby?” The twins nodded their heads.  “Well, Daddy wasn’t the one I wished that with.  JC was.  JC’s your real daddy.  We got mad at each other right before I found out you were in my tummy, and Daddy said he’d help me take care of you. Then he told me he loved me, I realized I loved him, and we got married.”


“But Daddy held us when we were born, we just met JC.  How could he be our daddy?” Barb asked. 


“I told you we were in love for a long time, and we wished for over a year for a baby. I thought it was never going to happen.”


“Is that why you got mad at each other?”


“No,” JC chimed in. “I made a mistake, Mommy got really mad at me, but I still loved her very much. Then she realized she loved me, but I was mad at her by then.  She tried to tell me about you guys, but I was too mad to listen. So Justin and Mommy fell in love.  Joshy, you look a lot like I did when I was little, like Barb looks a lot like Mommy.  If I had known, listened to Mommy that I was gonna be a Daddy, I’d have been there. But sometimes being an adult is hard, you don’t always make the right choices. Mommy and Daddy, the one you grew up with, love you very much. Once your Mommy told me I was a daddy, and I met you both, I fell in love with you, too. I’m sorry I missed you being born, but I want to be here for things from now on.”


The twins looked at each other, then at the three adults in the room.  Barb’s bottom lip started to quiver.  She looked at Justin. “Does this mean you and Mommy don’t love each other anymore, you’re not gonna be our Daddy anymore?”  The tears started to streak down her cheeks. 


Justin pulled her into his arms.  “Baby girl, no. Mommy and I still love each other very much, you’re getting a baby brother, remember?  I’ll always be Daddy, even though I’m not really your daddy. I love both of you so much, never forget that. But JC is your real dad.  He wants to be your dad, always did.”


“You guys don’t have to call me Daddy, I know it’s gonna be tough to get used to,” JC said.  “The more time we spend together, the more I want to be around you.”


“Are you gonna live with us?” Joshy asked JC.


“No, buddy,” JC chuckled. “I’m gonna live here, but I’ll be over at your house a lot, or you could even come here if you want.  It’s totally up to you two, I don’t want you to do anything you aren’t ok with.  Sorry my house doesn’t have a pool or anything, but I could get some cool toys for you to play with when you’re here.”


“I guess that’s ok,” Barb said quietly. “I’m really confused…”


“It’s ok, baby.  Life can be confusing. I was confused about all this for a while, too. As scared as I was of being a Mommy by myself, I was confused why Daddy, Justin, wanted to fill in as Daddy instead of JC.  Then he told me he loved me, and I fell in love with him too.  Life isn’t always a fairytale, it’s usually pretty messy and confusing. Just know we all love you both and want what’s best for you.”


“Can we watch the movie now?” Joshy asked. 


“Yeah, bud,” Justin laughed. “We can do that.”



The movie ended, the twins asleep on JC’s couch, Mikayla curled up next to JC.  JC was still awake, looking at Justin.


“Sorry,” he offered quietly.


“It’s your first full weekend with her.  I honestly like that better than the every other day thing.”


“I’m surprised you let me have the first weekend, I still feel I was intruding last weekend with her birthday and everything.”


“We needed it, to figure all of this out.  I had her Tuesday night once she came home through now, I’ll get her all next week. You’re sure you’re ok with every other weekend? I knew we’d have this with the kids, I didn’t think we’d really have to schedule time with Mikayla…” Justin chuckled quietly.


“I can take the twins next weekend if you want, if they’re ok with it.  Give you two time to have some romance…”


“We have plenty of time…” Justin interrupted.

 

“For sex, sure.  But to really BE with each other.  She said some things this week. No details, but that you guys haven’t really been… romantic lately. Apparently hot as hell, but nothing slow and romantic.  She felt guilty that she liked feeling that with me and not with you. I know your schedule doesn’t always allow…”

 

“For me to romance my wife?” Justin asked. He stopped to think about the last time they were like that.  “I guess it has been a while.  I’ll buy her flowers, or make dinner, but with the twins things normally need to move faster, so it gets a little more heated.  I don’t have the time I used to to draw things out.”


“Make time. Maybe I can take the twins on my off weekends with her so you two can do whatever, romantic or hot. I know we had a bit of both, probably will…”


“I don’t need to know, man.  Thanks for the tip, though.”


“Give her more than just the tip, bro,” JC laughed quietly. 


“Same to you,” Justin replied.


“Is it weird yet?” JC laughed.


“Yes,” Mikayla said, shocking both men.  “You’re not good whisperers, just so you know.  Josh, I’m glad you’re worried about my husband and my sex life, but yeah, this is weird…”


“Does that mean I’ll have help getting the kids in the car?” Justin asked.


“Yeah, I’ll help,” JC said, moving on the couch.


“I think he meant me…” Mikayla said.


“No, I meant C.  You’re pregnant, I’m not having you carry their dead weight and risk hurting you or the baby.”


“Fine, I’ll catch some more sleep…” she sighed.


“Kiss me before I leave you for the weekend,” Justin requested, leaning in.


Mikayla kissed him gently, not wanting to be too over the top in front of JC.


“Don’t hold back on my account,” JC chuckled. 


Justin laughed. “I never pegged you as a voyeur…”


“Only with Mikayla. I’d watch the faces she makes knowing she’ll make them with me…”


“And now it’s weird again…”


“Totally kidding, dude. That night last week was the closest I get to that kinda shit.  Let’s get the kids in the car.”


“I’ll text Jackie to have her help once I get home.”


“Doesn’t she get a night off?” JC wondered.


“Yeah, but she lives with us.  Odds are she’s home anyway.”


“Does she go out on dates?”


“Wanting to steal my nanny too, C?” Justin laughed. 


“No, just curious.”


“She doesn’t tell us that kinda thing. She normally just stays in her room on her nights off, not going out anywhere,” Mikayla added. 


“Is it bad I’m worried about that? Basically being on call 24/7.”


“I’ll talk to her, see if I can glean some info. Some girl talk.”


The guys pulled the twins into their arms, Mikayla getting the doors for them.  Thankfully the kids slept like rocks, so they didn't wake up being buckled into their seats.  Justin kissed Mikayla one last time, a little deeper than before since he knew he wouldn’t see her until later Sunday.


Mikayla waved as she watched him drive off, feeling like part of her was missing, yet knowing she wasn’t going to be alone.  JC could sense her apprehension, wrapping an arm around her.


“I understand if you don’t want…” he started before she kissed him gently.


“I definitely want, it’s just going to take some getting used to this whole situation.”

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story