“Mommy, they had us make a gift for Father’s Day.  Who do we give it to?” Joshy asked. “I have two dads.”


“You do, buddy.  Do you want to make another so we can give them the same gift?” Mikayla asked, buckling him into his booster seat before leaving school.


“I’m ok with that,” Barb said.  “We’ll need paint though, Mommy.”


“How about we go to Target or Michael’s and get what we need?”


“Can we go to Target?” Barb asked. “If we’re good, can we get a toy?”


“You have PLENTY of toys, both of you. But you can choose a book or a game we can play together.”


“Ugh, fine,” Barb answered, rolling her eyes.


“Lord, help me in her teen years,” Mikayla whispered to herself.


They headed to Target, getting a small pack of paints.  Barb wanted a Pinkalicious book, Joshy opting for a game to play.  Mikayla was becoming aware of how Barb seemed to be withdrawing from her. It was one thing to become independent, but this felt very different.


The timing of things couldn’t be more awkward. Their first therapy session was scheduled for Friday, and it was supposed to be their weekend at JC’s, along with being Father’s Day. The school year was ending on Friday, their schedule opening up; JC expressing interest in having them over during the week.


They were also planning a trip to Orlando after the 4th of July.  Mikayla and Justin were looking forward to seeing JC’s family, thankful they were happy with Justin joining the trip. They would go on to Memphis for a couple weeks after that, Justin excited to see Trace and his family.


Mikayla was admittedly nervous about how the weekend would go.  She’d be with JC and the twins, and was curious how Barb would handle Father’s Day without Justin.  She worried how Justin would feel, away from the twins and Mikayla, pregnant with his son. 


They got home, Mikayla opening the paints and sitting down with the twins on either side of her.  She grabbed two paintbrushes, one for each of the twins.


“Who are we making these for?” Mikayla asked. 


“Daddy JC,” Joshy answered.


“Daddy,” Barb replied, Mikayla knowing she meant Justin. JC was mostly JC still, sometimes Dad.


“Ok, what colors are we using?” Mikayla wondered.


“What’s his favorite color?” Joshy asked. 


“Let’s go with orange. You can still use the hot pink for something when we’re done.  Barb?”


“The blue, it’s Daddy’s favorite color.”


She gave them the paintbrushes, letting them put the paint on their hands and helped them make handprints on the paper.  They washed their hands and played while the paintings dried. 


“What are these?” Justin asked, seeing the papers on the table.


“They’re our Father’s Day presents!” Joshy beamed.


“I thought you were gonna be in the studio for longer,” Mikayla sighed, sad the surprise was ruined.


“They’re handprints for right now.  I haven’t seen the finished product and I can’t read your mind, as much as I wish I could, to know what they’ll be,” he whispered in her ear, kissing her gently.  “I just wanted to come up and say hi.  I can go back into my hole so you can finish and tuck them away somewhere. Let me know when you’re finished and I’ll start on dinner.”


“Justin…”


“One of the ways I show I love you, right?” he smiled.


“Yeah,” she smiled back, Justin kissing the top of her head.


He went back to his in home studio, finishing up little pieces for Trolls along with ideas for his next album.  Mikayla checked that he was in the middle of something before checking on the handprints.  They had dried, getting out markers and Sharpies for the twins.  They knew the Sharpies were special, and not to color on themselves with it.  They drew things on the handprints, making them look like the people getting them.


“Mommy, what’s this lump on Daddy’s head you made me draw?” Joshy asked.


“That’s his beanie,” Mikayla smiled.  “You can use the hot pink paint or you can use marker.  He needs to have a bright pink beanie”


“Marker, so it won’t have to dry again.  Mommy, you should buy him one sometime.”


“Maybe I should.  For now, It’s June, he doesn’t need a beanie.”  Mikayla smiled, looking at the handprint versions of JC and Justin.  Barb had given Justin a beard, which Mikayla found to be quite impressive to add that detail.  Then Mikayla realized something.


“Barb, did you do this EXACT project at school?”


“Yeah,” Barb said, shrugging.


“So you have two for Daddy and none for your dad?”


Barb nodded quietly, tucking her chin to her chest.  


“Barb, Daddy doesn’t need two from you.  This is your dad’s first real Father’s Day, it needs to be special.”


“He’s not my dad, I don’t care what you say!” Barb said, storming off to her room.


Well, Mikayla thought to herself, this weekend is gonna be interesting…

 


“Daddy, you came to pick us up too?” Barb beamed on Friday afternoon.


“Yeah,” he smiled softly, picking her up in his arms.  “We’re gonna go and talk to a lady about some things.”


“Like… toys?  A party?” Barb asked.


“”No.  Nothing like that.,  There’s been a lot going on lately with us, and we want to talk about it with someone that isn't part of our family, help us see what’s going on, help us with how we feel on things.”


“Oh,” Barb said, much less enthusiastic, even with Justin being there.  


They got into the car, Justin driving to the therapist’s office. The waiting room was empty, something Mikayla was sure Justin had been sure to secure for privacy.  


“Right this way, she’s ready for you,” the receptionist said.


They were led to a decent sized room with two plush couches and two armchairs.  They sat on the couch, Barb on Justin’s lap, Joshy on Mikayla’s lap.


“Ok, so where are we starting?” the therapist started.


“We’re waiting on one more person,” Mikayla said awkwardly. 


“Oh…”


The door opened, JC walking in the room.  The woman’s eyes went between Justin and JC.  “This is family counseling…”


“We’re aware,” Justin said.  “It’ll make sense eventually.”


JC sat on the couch next to Mikayla, Joshy climbing onto his lap.


“Well, my name is Ms Tessa, and we’re here to talk. This is a safe space, say what you feel and we’ll respect each other.  So let’s start at the beginning.”


Mikayla sighed. “JC and I were together for almost 5 years. Without going into specifics in front of the children, we broke up. During that time, we weren’t talking, and I found out I was pregnant.  I didn’t want to tell him in anger.  Justin knew I was pregnant and stepped up to be their dad, since the moment I found out. He was actually with me at the  hospital when I found out.  We got married very quickly so people would think they were his.  Any time we saw JC was tense, so it wasn’t until last month that he finally learned he was a father.  It’s been an adjustment for all of us, trying to co parent and have the twins get to know their dad.”


“I already know my dad!” Barb shrieked.  “This is my Daddy, I don’t need another one!” She buried her head in Justin’s chest, starting to cry.


“Well, this is a lot to deal with.  What’s your name, sweetheart?”


“Barb,” she sniffled into Justin’s shirt.


“Barb, have you spent time with JC at all?”


“Yes.  Mommy and Daddy told us all about him when we were little.”


“It’s true. Whatever complicated feelings we had, we wanted them to know him in case this ever happened.”


“Do you like spending time with JC?”


“Yeah,” she admitted.


“So what don’t you like about him? Why don’t you want him to be your dad?” Tessa asked. 


“I already have a Daddy!”


“Ok. What if you didn’t have to call him that?”


“She doesn’t, most of the time. We’ve told her she can call me whatever she wants,” JC spoke up.  “I’m usually just JC.  Only a handful of times has she called me Dad, and I get it. I’m still adjusting to it, too.”


“How much access do you have to the twins?” Tessa asked JC.


“Full access. No official custody arrangement, but I’m able to come to their house or they come to my house.  We’re trying an every other weekend thing where they’re with me and Mikayla.”  JC left out where he was having sex with her during those weekends.


“Justin, how do you feel about that?  Mikayla leaving you every other weekend?”


“They’re not that far away, and hopefully it’s temporary until they feel more comfortable with him. Though if I’m traveling, doing movie press or another tour eventually… To answer your question, it’s for the good of the kids.  That’s what matters.”


“You sound hesitant, Justin.”


“It is hard sharing my wife with him, but I also understand the situation.  I want to support her in being the best mom to the twins, our son.”


“Your son? Where is he?”


Mikayla clutched her stomach. “I’m due in October.”


“Oh, I see.”


“Joshy, how do you feel about all of this? Having another dad?”


“I love it! I’m named after him, and we have lots of fun together.”


“Barb, let me ask you something.  What are things you love about your dad, Justin?” Tessa wondered. 


“He takes care of me, sings to me at bedtime, plays games with me, lots of stuff.”


“When you’re with JC, does he take care of you?”


“Yeah, he even cooked for us, he can’t cook but he tries.  He made us burgers, they were pretty good. He made us a cool bedroom at his house, got stuff for us to do together.”


“What about at bedtime at his house? Does he sing to you?”


“No, but only cuz I fall asleep when we watch a movie together with Mommy.”


“Would you want him to sing to you?”


“Yeah,” she smiled, sitting up more.


“You said he has stuff at his house to do with him. Like what?”


“We play games, he bought art stuff, I have my own dress up area and dolls.  I’ve only been there a couple times so far, but it’s been really fun.”


“Ok. So JC does all the things for you that Daddy does.  Is it because you’ve known Justin since you were a baby?”


“He’s always been Daddy, but now he’s not?  Now JC is my dad?”


“I’ll never stop loving you, Barb.  I’ll always be your Daddy, no matter what,” Justin said, squeezing her tight.  “I’m not going anywhere. Mommy and I are still married, I’m not leaving for another family. You’re getting another brother…”


“I’d rather have a sister,” Barb sighed. 


“You were too young to remember, but I wasn’t home a lot on my last tour. You guys were babies then.  I’m gonna be traveling for stuff with Trolls, you’ll be in school at that point, or when I go on tour.  It will be great to have JC around when I’m not home so you still have a dad around you too love you like I do.”


“If I’d known about you from the beginning, I’d have been there.  I’d have been there when you were born.  Your Daddy wanted to help Mommy when I couldn’t.  I’m sorry I wasn’t there, but it doesn’t mean I didn’t love you.  I love you SO much Barb, I hope you know that.  I’m sorry I didn’t get to love you from the beginning, but I’m here now,” JC said.


“Barb, Joshy, I’m going to have you go play in the waiting area while I talk with the grownups, ok?”


The twins nodded, excited to play.  Tessa called her receptionist, having her take the twins from the room.


“I’d like to continue to see Barb one on one for a while. Joshy is fine, taking this really well and it makes sense. At this age they have strong ties to the parent of the opposite gender.”


“Electra and Oedipus Complex?” Mikayla questioned.


Tessa nodded.  “Joshy is very much tied to Mikayla, so since he’s not losing her in any way, he’s pretty much ok. Barb is extremely attached to Justin as the male parent, and I think she feels threatened by JC’s sudden presence as a parental figure. I think she might be realizing you both do the same things to fulfill her needs and wants, but isn’t wanting to give JC the same affection and classification as Justin. It will come with time and a little therapy, especially once the baby comes.  She’ll likely feel competition for Justin’s time.  Joshy might feel some disconnect from Mikayla, keep an eye on that. Who knows, maybe the baby will be great for both of them. Only time will tell.”


“Thank you,” Mikayla sighed, feeling relief.


“I also wanted the twins out of the room to discuss your situation. There’s abandonment issues present with all 3 of you.  I can understand why you didn’t tell JC about the twins, having to confront their father that wasn’t in the picture. Justin, I can see how you could be worried about there being something between Mikayla and JC now that he’s stepping into the father role.  JC, I’m sure you struggled with watching your best friend marry and have kids with your ex, even if the children were yours.  We can work through this together or separately, however you wish.”


“You won’t judge us for anything said here if we do therapy together?” Mikayla questioned, both men looking at her.


“No judgment, this is a safe place.”


“I think it might be beneficial to do this together, given everything…” JC said.


“Go over EVERYTHING?” Justin wondered. 


“Might give a new perspective.  I’m sure it’ll come out eventually, we were gonna talk about it with our individual therapists, weren’t we?” Mikayla replied.


Tessa looked at them, curious what they were talking about. 


“I’ll start at the beginning,” Mikayla said.  JC was nervous about hearing everything aired out in front of a stranger, but knew it needed to be done.  “JC was working on a song with a new artist, he’d written the song, sang on it, and produced it. It turns out the woman was a fan. Well, she was excited to work with him, and I found them in a compromising position. Specifically, I find her naked on top of him, JC ready to have sex with her.  I walked in, lost my cool and stormed out. I went to my parent’s house, as my grandma wasn’t doing well health wise. The night she passed, I called Justin to talk. One thing led to another…”


“You slept together,” Tessa assumed. 


“No. Very close, but no,” Justin clarified. “JC came by hoping I’d help him find her, JC knowing about her grandma’s passing. What I didn’t know was that she heard me at the door after she took a shower, walking up to me in just a towel…”


“Me on the other side. I assumed like you did, that they’d slept together.  I was done with both of them, going from begging her to take me back to not answering calls or texts, deleting the voicemail telling me she was pregnant, not even listening to it.  I walked away from what would have been the happiest part of my life.”


“But you found your way again,” Tessa said. “Tell me that story.”


JC swallowed the lump in his throat. “Well, I’d stayed on at the school I met her at as part of the board. I couldn’t fully stay away from her. I had a tip on a school that had closed and the property was up for lease. I went on a tour with the President of the school, Mikayla came to see what the music program would need, and I think a woman with accounting or something.  All I know is once I saw her, no Justin around, she was so beautiful.  I could barely take my eyes off of her, I know she felt the same way. There were little moments throughout the day, moments we’d brush hands.  I stayed at the office as long as I could, stopping by her office once everyone left.”


“So you could talk,” Tessa smiled. 


“No, we had sex,” Mikayla stifled a laugh. “All the tension we’d had the last 5 years finally came to its peak, and so did we.  We said we loved each other, but I needed to figure things out with Justin.  He’d always told me if JC ever wanted me back, he’d step aside.”


“So you’re pregnant with his baby but you’re getting divorced?”


“No. We’re staying married and I’m seeing both of them,” Mikayla said matter of factly.


“Oh,” Tessa gasped.  She was trying to not judge the things she’d just heard.  “Well, does that resolve your worries of abandonment, Justin?”


“Mostly. I’m still not a fan of sharing her with him, but I also don’t want to lose her or have her regret staying married for the kids.  She’s the only woman I want, so if this is how things have to be, it is what it is.”


“Mikayla, you want to be with both of them?  You can’t just see yourself as a co-parent with JC?”


“I had told Justin for so long that I was happy with him, and I am, but being around JC, this other side of me unlocks, wanting to be with him. Like we’re getting a second chance at what we should have had. I know not a lot of people will understand…”


“It’s polyamory,” Tessa said. “If you’re all open to what it takes to make it work, then good for you.”  If Tessa was being honest with herself, she would kill to be in Mikayla’s shoes, particularly with the men on either side of her.


“We’re in constant communication with each other if something isn’t working, mostly in relation to the twins. We had it so I was with one of them romantically for a weekend, the other watching the twins. Then Barb had a meltdown because she wasn’t getting time with me.”


“That’s interesting given her attachment to Justin,” Tessa noted.


“So now I’m with the kids and one of them each weekend, finding time to be intimate as well as be a family.  This is the first weekend of this new arrangement, so we’ll see how it goes and change things accordingly.”


“I think you’re good then, not needing therapy if things are working out and communicating well.”


“I think we’ll still see our regular therapists, but we will schedule sessions if things pop up.  Thank you, you were really understanding,” JC said. 


“We’ll schedule sessions for Barb, though we do have vacations coming up,” Mikayla remembered. 


“They’re meeting my parents, we’ll see how that goes,” JC sighed. 


“I can do virtual sessions if you need to. I will need to have her by herself so she can be open about things. I normally try not to have kids share much in the first session, but she was willing to tell me things with you there, so that could be a good indicator when it’s just us.  I hoped she’d feel comfortable sharing in front of you. I can tell there’s nothing she feels she needs to hide from me.”


“We’ll still give her that privacy, absolutely,” Mikayla assured Tessa.  “This has already been very helpful, thank you.”


“We’ll work with your summer schedule to make appointments for Barb,” Tessa said before escorting them to the front.


They all left the office, Joshy wanting to go with JC.


“Bud, I dunno…” Justin sighed. 


“I got car seats,” JC chimed in.


Mikayla walked over to his Jeep, looking at the car seats in the back seat.  “Yours are better than ours!” she laughed. “Newer for sure.  They turn into the booster seat?”


“Yeah.  Let me know when they’re ready for them to transition to that.”


“I’d say by August, before they start kindergarten.  Jesus, stop growing you two!” Mikayla laughed, looking at the twins.


“Meet you at the house?” JC asked.


“Yeah.  You need us to get the pizza?  Though the look on the delivery driver’s face would be priceless.  If you order but I answer the door…”


“You better hope the driver has no clue who either of you are or the Internet will blow up.  ‘Justin and JC hanging out, having pizza on a Friday night…’ My fan account will blow up…”


“Fan account?” JC asked.


“I need a space where I can post and geek out with fans without being obvious who I am.  It’s fun to see the different fan theories and things going around.  I’m just glad I get to know everything on the inside…”


“Grab pizza, I’ve got some stuff at the house to go with it and this guy can play with his Legos or something while we wait for you guys.”


“See you soon, Joshy,” Mikayla said.  

 

“See you soon, Mommy, Daddy,” Joshy waved with a smile.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story