Author's Chapter Notes:

1/1/23- happy new year!

The twins woke up from their nap, the group going back into the park. They did more rides, met more characters, and had a ton of Disney snacks. 


“I love the churros,” Mikayla said, taking a lingering sniff of the treat in her hand.  “They’re sweet, there’s a slight crunch, it’s amazing. The best ones on earth are at Disney.”


Barb was digging into a Mickey shaped rice krispie treat dipped in chocolate.  “I’m starting with his ears!” she said with her mouth full.


Joshy chose kettle corn, sharing with Jackie.  “Mommy, you should have some later, I know you like this kind!” he offered.


“I’ll get some before the parade and we can share, unless you still have some left by then.”


“A parade?” Barb asked.


“Yup,” Justin replied.  “You’ll get to see lots of characters all at once as they go down the street.  JC and I have been in a parade or two here, back in the day…”


“I remember being so excited to watch the Christmas parade that year,” Mikayla smiled.  “Then there’s the Thanksgiving Parade on the M&Ms float…”


They enjoyed riding on Pirates of the Carribean before going on to the Haunted Mansion.  Joshy clung to MIkayla.  “I was scared when I was little, too,” Mikayla admitted to Joshy.  “I was in middle school before I’d go with my eyes open.”


“For real?” Justin laughed.


“Not helping, Daddy,” Mikayla chided.  “I was in 8th grade before I went on my first roller coaster.  Space Mountain.  Thankfully everything we’ve done today has been baby friendly since you guys are so small.”


“I’m a big girl!” Barb shouted, taking offense.


“While true, you aren't tall enough for the bigger rides yet,” JC said softly.  “Before we know it, you’ll be big enough to go just you and your brother.”


They got into the haunted mansion, Joshy clinging to Mikayla and JC’s hands.  JC was thankful for when it got dark, moving to hold Mikayla closer to him and Joshy.  Jackie sat with Barb and Justin, excited to see everything.


“Joshy, you can be brave,” Mikayla said softly.  “Daddy and I will never let anything bad happen to you.  You’re safe.  If you get scared, just squeeze our hands, but try to keep your eyes open.”


“Ok,” Joshy squeaked, opening his eyes a bit, but not all the way.  Nothing was coming towards him, so he relaxed and opened his eyes all the way, feeling safer knowing he was with his parents.  He squeezed Mikayla’s hand a couple times, but mostly looked around to see what was there as they rode through. 


As the ride came to the end, Mikayla looked at Joshy.  “I’m proud of you, bud.  I was a little older than you my first time, and I went on this ride a bunch before I was brave enough to open my eyes.  If you really don’t want to do something, we won’t make you, but know that all of us will be here to protect you and keep you safe.  You don’t need to be afraid, as long as you have people with you that you feel safe with.”


“Be proud of yourself,” JC added.  “We love you even if you’d been too afraid to open your eyes.  You chose to open your eyes and keep them open when you got scared.  It’s ok to be scared sometimes, but it’s less scary when you have people around you.”


JC and Mikayla looked at each other.  “I guess that’s why things with you and Justin happened the way they did.  You were scared, and you trusted him to get you through it.” 


“I was still scared, but yeah.”


“Why were you scared, Mommy?” Joshy asked.


“Don’t worry about it, baby.  I’m not scared now, I have lots of people around that love me.”


After the ride, they were led to a spot to watch the parade, Mikayla sitting with JC and Jackie while Justin took the twins to go shopping.  He knew they wouldn’t sit still well while they waited, and to help keep them occupied for a bit.  They picked out things to buy for JC’s family, for his family to take to Tennessee, and for Mikayla and her family back home.  Justin was thankful it would all be sent back to their room instead of having to hold any of it and carry it through the park.


They returned to their spot a few minutes before the parade began, enjoying it from a more private spot that had a great vantage point. They soon began to hear music, the sounds coming before they could see anything. The twins were excited, literally bouncing as they waited for everything to come past them. Barb squealed as the first cast members and floats came into view.


They sang along as songs they knew played, the twins waving and shouting hellos to the characters. It was fun for the kids, and a chance to rest for the adults, especially Mikayla.  She knew their VIP experience made everything go smooth; that she wouldn’t have made it through waiting in lines and things at 6 months pregnant.


They did a couple more rides before heading to dinner.  Mikayla smiled as they turned into the castle.  “Did you set this up?” Mikayla asked JC.


“Not exactly,” he replied.  “I mean, I told Justin that we went here for dinner that time, and I guess he decided it was a good idea for the twins.”


They had dinner, Barb feeling like she was a princess as she looked around.  She wished she was still in her princess hair, though her dress had gotten dirty during the day.  JC looked at the table, starting with Mikayla, and feeling like things had come full circle.  He’d brought her early on in their relationship, and now was there with his children.  Something he never thought was a possibility, but was so glad it was more than just a dream deferred.


“Ok, you have two choices,” Justin said before they left the table.  “Do we stay here to watch the fireworks, or go back to the hotel and watch from there?  You kids can get in your pajamas and go right to bed after, or you risk falling asleep waiting for the fireworks and still having to get back to the hotel.”


“Seems like you want to just go back to the hotel,” Mikayla said.  She looked at the twins.  “Is that ok?”


“Yeah,” Joshy said.  “They’re too loud, anyway.  I’d rather watch from the hotel.”


“Ok,” Barb sighed. 


“I like watching them in the park, but not until you’re older. I don’t want you guys falling asleep before they start.  At least if you do at the hotel, it’s easy to put you into bed,” Mikayla replied. 


“Can we ride the carousel before we go? Or the tea cups?” Barb asked. 


“It’s going dark, I suppose that would be fine,” Justin agreed. 


“I’m not doing the tea cups. I’ve made it this far into my pregnancy without throwing up, I’m not going to start now,” Mikayla chuckled. 


“Babies make you throw up?” Barb asked. 


“It got pretty bad with you two. Thankfully it went away though. Some mommies have it the whole time and end up in the hospital.”


“I’m NEVER having a baby,” Barb said, her eyes wide in shock.


“You say that now,” Jackie said. “Just wait until Silas gets here. They’re a lot of work, but babies are so worth it. Then you get to watch them grow up.”


The group went to the teacups, Mikayla sitting and watching as the twins went into separate cups, trying to see who could spin the fastest. They weren’t going that fast, Mikayla was thankful that Justin and JC let the twins control the speed. She started getting dizzy just watching them, let alone being inside. 


They then headed to the carousel, JC staying back with their VIP guide. “If anyone is going to get pictures, it’s here. Enjoy being a family together without me complicating things,” he sighed. 


“A few months late for that,” Justin laughed, teasing his friend. 


Justin stood next to Barb on a beautiful white horse with color everywhere, Mikayla with Joshy on a white one with lots of blue. Jackie went in with them, her phone ready to take pictures and video. 


JC watched them go around and around, seeing the smiles on the twins’ faces.  It was all worth it to have them in his life, but he felt like he was intruding on their family they’d built. Maybe coparenting with Kayla is what’s best for them. I love her, and the kids, but will all of this work long term?


Mikayla focused as much as she could on Joshy, starting to feel her stomach churn. She looked up as the ride began to slow, seeing the look in JC’s eyes. Her heart dropped, seeing that he felt upset while being with her and the kids, something that should have made him happy.


They walked towards the monorail to head back to the hotel, Mikayla taking JC’s hand.  He looked at her, giving her a soft smile.  Things felt so right, but at the same time felt so wrong. 


“You ok?” she asked quietly.  “If this is about earlier, between you and Justinn…”


“I feel like I’m intruding. This should be your family vacation.”


“You’re their dad, this IS our family vacation.”


She squeezed his hand lovingly, assuringly. She tried to have as much physical contact with JC as she could, looking at him with Joshy or Barb as they waited for the monorail.  Justin noticed her increase in affection towards JC, reaching for her other hand to catch her attention.  Her eyes darted between the two men, knowing both wanted her attention.  Her mind flashed back to them arguing earlier in the day, hoping they could keep things peaceful and work things out once more.  Things were in a constant state of change, which she saw as good because they would communicate with each other, but also frustrating that things wouldn’t work one way or another for long.


They finally got back to their hotel suite, Jackie getting the twins into their pajamas before the fireworks were to start.  Mikayla sat with Justin and JC on the large balcony, the warm summer air being comfortable to sit in without being surrounded by people at the park.  Justin and JC each had a beer in hand, Mikayla sitting with a bottled water.  Jackie and the twins soon joined them outside.


They sat on a couch on the balcony, Mikayla in the middle between Justin and JC.  Joshy sat on Justin’s lap, Barb on JC’s, snuggling with Mikayla as well.  The sky was now fully dark, and the fireworks began.  They weren’t as big as if they were in the park, but the kids were still excited to watch.  They oohed and aahed at the colors and clusters of colors, some spiraling as others spread across the sky.  They were missing the music that would play at the park; but the twins didn’t mind, having no frame of reference.  


Soon the fireworks were over, the twins being escorted to bed by Jackie.  “I’ll see you in the morning, I’m sure you three have a lot to figure out…”

 

JC’s lips curled into a smirk.  “That we do, that we do.”

Chapter End Notes:

Having time and inspiration to write is a bit difficult right now, but I'm trying my best to keep this going on schedule with posting, even if it is one chapter at a time.

 

Feedback is appreciated.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story