Author's Chapter Notes:

1/6/23

“What do you mean?” Mikayla asked.


“Someone at the park heard Barb call me dad, and now there’s a story saying all kinds of crazy things.  Some of it’s true, but not that we’ve shown the world yet.  They’re being pretty brutal towards Justin and you, keeping the twins from me for so long.  Mostly Justin, that he stole you from me and proposed before you knew you were pregnant.  There’s a picture of her hugging me.  You can’t see her face, but you can clearly see mine.”


“Should we say something?  Do we need to put out the statement you guys came up with?”  Her question caught Justin’s attention.  She put the call on speaker, Mikayla thankful the twins were in their rooms napping from the flight.


“What happened?” Justin asked.


“Secret’s out that the twins are mine,” JC repeated.  “Our statement could work for this situation, maybe change it a little bit.”


“No,” Justin said.  “Sometimes the greatest way to say something is to say nothing at all.  We know the truth, they can say whatever they want but it doesn’t change anything.  I’m used to the negativity, being blamed for a lot of things.  It’s a lot like when we first got together, but it passed fairly quickly.  This will blow over soon as nothing more than just tabloid fodder.”


“I hope so.  I remember the paparazzi following me around asking about you two.  I don’t need that again…”


“Ignore it.  We know the truth and are dealing with it.  We’ve all dealt with this at this point.”


“I just don’t want Kay to be made out to be this…”


“Slut?” Mikayla choked on the word.  “We know that isn’t true.  Maybe now, with the situation we have…”


“You’re still not a slut,” Justin said.  “You’re in love with both of us, it’s not some passing thing.  There’s a history with us, and even then it took a while to get to that point with me.”


“I think I hear the twins.  Josh, we’ll talk later.  Not the conversation I wanted to have, I’ll say that.”


“Bye for now, Kay.  Tell the kids I love them.  Love you,” he said with a smile in his voice.


“Love you too.”


She looked at Justin as she ended the call.  “Hopefully this doesn’t ruin our vacation.”


“No one knows we’re here, not yet at least.  You know they respect my privacy here.  They likely still think we’re in Florida still.  You know I use an assumed name for our flights to ensure privacy.  We’ll still have a nice vacation, time with my family, and this will be behind us.”


“I’m sorry this is coming back on you,” Mikayla said, hearing the twins come down the hall.


“I’ll be ok.  Thick skin.”  He crouched down, welcoming the twins into his arms.  


Mikayla smiled, knowing focusing on their time together as a family was most important, more than what anyone else had to say about things.


“It’s our first night here, I think you know where we need to go,” Justin smiled.


“Nana and PopPop’s?” Barb answered.


“You wanna go see them?” Justin asked.


The twins nodded with big smiles.  Justin grabbed them, one in each arm, carrying them to the SUV in the garage.  They buckled in, Justin pulling out of the garage and down the gravel driveway onto the road.  


Mikayla cocked an eyebrow as she saw him drive away from the direction of her in law’s.  He pulled up to the General Store, the kids looking confused in the back seat.


“Why are we here, Daddy?” Joshy asked.


“You’ll see,” Justin replied.


They walked in, the twins’ eyes widening as they heard a familiar voice.  “My grandbabies are back!”  Lynn had a smile that lit up the whole place, the twins trying hard not to run to hug her.  Paul sat in the booth, a soft smile on his face.


“Good to be back here, Mama,” Justin said, hugging Lynn as the twins crawled into the booth.


“Good to have you back,” Lynn sighed.  “It’s been too long.”


“You’re coming to Christmas, right?”


“Yes.  You’re sure there’ll be room for everyone?”


“I wouldn’t have invited everyone if there wasn’t room.”


“I”m just saying, a lot has happened in 5 years, Justin.”


“It’ll be fine.  There were extra rooms back then, it’ll be fine.  All the kids in one room, or each family in one room.”


Justin ordered their food, Lynn and Paul already having food at the table, the twins already picking at the basket of french fries.


“How ya feeling, darlin’?” Lynn asked Mikayla, looking down to her belly.  “All baby, like last time.”


“Yeah, I think Justin is enjoying it more this time around.  I’m fine, trying to keep up with these two.  Thank god for Jackie and Justin…”


“And JC,” Lynn said quietly.


“Yeah.  It was rough at the beginning, but things are better now.”


Justin joined them at the booth, everyone squished in but comfortable in being together.  Mikayla looked around.  Nothing had changed, and it made her feel like it had been too long since they’d been there, and yet like no time had passed at all.  


“Look what the cat dragged in,” a familiar voice called.  Justin looked up, seeing Trace and his family walking towards the table.  Justin stood to greet his best friend with a hug.  “It’s been too long, man.  I can’t keep coming out to LA to see you…”


“That’s a crock of shit and you know it.  You’d live in the guest house if you could.”  He pulled back, looking at Trace.  “It’s good to be home.”


“Glad you feel that way.  I know you always try to get a show in around here when you’re on tour, stay a few extra days before or after if you can.  I like seeing you here compared to LA.  I feel you’re more like yourself here, relaxed…”


Justin smiled.  “Samantha, a pleasure as always,” he said, giving her a hug.  Then he crouched down. “I can’t forget my best girls that aren’t my daughter…”  He stopped, realizing that wasn’t true.  Legally Barb was his, so in a way it was, he supposed.  But hearing him say it, it made him pause for a moment.  “How are you, sweetheart?  Uncle missed you…” Justin hugged Sophia tight, River in Samantha’s arms.


“Sophia!” Barb beamed, squirming to crawl out from under the booth.  Justin loved that the girls were close, carrying his and Trace’s friendship to another generation.  Third generation of best friends, something he knew was rare, and was thankful for it.


Mikayla was sitting on the end, Sophia walking up to her, putting a hand on her baby bump.  “Hi, Silas…”


“The way she talks, you’d think it was HER baby brother,” Samantha smiled.  “River is catching up quick.  She follows Sophia around everywhere, for better or worse.”


“Built in best friend, though,” Mikayla said.  “Same with the twins.  We knew we wanted at least two so they’d have someone, then lucked into having them together.”


“Just glad they’re friends like their daddies, and their mamas before them,” Lynn said.  “Talked to your mom yesterday, Trace.  Glad she’s doing well.”


Trace pulled a nearby table up to the end of the booth, joining the family reunion.  The kids were coloring on paper placemats, and conversation flowed as they ate together.


“Sophia, you’re starting kindergarten after summer’s over, right?” Mikayla asked. 


Sophia nodded. “She’s so excited to start.  She’s over preschool and wants to be like the big kids,” Samantha laughed. “Meanwhile I’m over here wanting to know where my baby went.”


“I here, mama,” River chimed in.


“It feels like yesterday I was here with all of you, pregnant, and now the twins are 4.  Time is a thief…” Mikayla sighed. 


“Samantha, can you take the kids out to play? I need to talk to Justin and Mikayla,” Lynn said. 


“Uh, sure,” Samantha said, wrangling the kids from the booth. .


“Why do I feel like I’m a teen again, getting a lecture?” Justin asked quietly.  


“The world knows your secret,” Lynn said.


“We’re aware,” Justin replied.


“How much of it is true?” Lynn pressed.


“I didn’t read it, JC told me it was out there…”


“Are you in a love triangle?” Lynn asked flat out.


“Well, that’s a complicated answer,” Justin said.  “He’s back in our lives, the twins knowing he’s their dad and having time with him.”


“Are you in love with both of them?” Lynn asked Mikayla pointedly.


“Part of me will always love Josh, he’s their dad.”


“Mikayla, don’t beat around the bush with me.”


Mikayla looked at Justin, afraid of what to say next.  She swallowed hard.  “Yes, I’m in love with both of them.  I’m not leaving your son, we’re staying married and having Silas, expanding our family.  What I feel for Josh changes nothing about how I feel about Justin and our family.”


It wasn’t a lie, but it was still hiding the truth.  It seemed to please Lynn though, not pressing for more information.  “Just be careful, both of you.  Justin, I’ve seen you take on a lot of negativity over the years, more than one person’s share.  As a mother, I want to protect you, no matter how old you get.  You’re grown and have a family of your own, so I need to let you live your life, but please make sure you’re thinking things through.”


“We’re all in constant communication, including JC, on things with the twins.  We went on vacation together, but apparently no one knew I was even there, so they just saw the two of them together, Barb calling JC her dad, and going from there.”


“It’s not my business if you are in a triangle or whatever, but I just want you to be careful, whether you are or not.  I’m worried this will hurt you.”


“It’s nothing I haven’t heard before,” Justin shrugged.


“I meant for Mikayla.  If they are brutal towards her, I don’t want you to be reactive and rush into saying something in her defense.  Not that it wouldn’t be warranted, but that it could make things worse.  Try and stay away from reading any articles about it.  Kayla, stay off your fan page, or at least the comments of other people’s posts.  If you do see anything, know that it comes from someone with almost zero information except what they’re seeing and perceiving.”


“I know.  It’s like when we first got together, and people became supportive in the end.  As long as we don’t keep the twins from Josh, I think this will blow over and people will accept that he’s their dad and we’re making things work to let the twins see him.  I’m sure there will be people thinking I should be with one over the other of the two of them, but that’s their idea, what they would do.  I’ve made my choice and we’re working together to make things work well for the sake of the twins and each other.”


Justin took her hand in his, giving her a soft smile.  While not giving away details, what she’d said was true.  She would stay married to him, despite his original idea of her going back to JC.  He was glad that she continued to choose him, when she could easily walk away.  She knew the choice was hers, and could change at any time.  He considered himself lucky and blessed to wake up to her every morning that he could, knowing she was still by his side.



“Nana will be here soon, right?” Barb asked excitedly.


“You’re just going to stay in your pajamas until she comes, aren’t you?” Mikayla laughed.


“Why change my clothes just to change into what Nana got for me?” Barb shrugged.


“She makes a good point,” Justin smirked.


“So I’m allowed to stay in pajamas until it’s time to get ready for movie premieres or award shows?” Mikayla countered.


“Absolutely,” Justin said.


“I was not expecting you to say that, but I’m holding you to it from now on.”


Justin leaned close to her, breathing in her ear.  “As long as I get to hold you, I’m good…”


“Was that an attempt at being dirty?” she smirked.


“You tell me,” he replied, pressing his heat against her.


“Too bad we have no time right now, but hold that thought for later,” she whispered before turning to kiss his cheek.


“I’ll hold lots of thoughts for after the twins go to bed.”  He stepped away, grabbing his mug of coffee.  “Mommy, you’re still in your pajamas, shouldn’t you be getting ready?”


“Fine, I’ll go get ready.  Barb, at least brush your hair so it’s ready for once you’re dressed and we can pull it back, at least a little so it’s out of your face.”


“Daddy, can you brush my hair?” Barb asked.


“Go grab your brush and we’ll sit in my chair,” Justin smiled, Barb skipping down the hall.


“She's got you wrapped around her finger…”


“She gets that from her mother,” Justin said, kissing her jawline.  “Go get ready, I’ll let Mom in when she gets here, keep her occupied."


Mikayla got ready, smiling as she grabbed a dress she had packed for the occasion.  She wore a flowing maxi dress, perfect for summer, especially covering her gentle baby bump.  It was a solid emerald green on top, the skirt white with flowers.  Her hair had been pulled so the front was pinned back, the rest flowing freely down her back.  She didn’t want to look too casual, but also didn’t want to go overboard.


“You look beautiful,” Justin said softly, standing in the doorway of their bedroom.  “Definitely can’t wait to get the twins to bed tonight.”


“Easy there, tiger.  Still plenty of day left before that.  Any clue what you boys will do?”


“There’s a pizza and arcade games place close by, we’ll have lunch and Joshy can play to his heart’s content.”


“Sounds like you’ll have lots of fun,” Mikayla smiled.


“Mom’s here, helping get Barb ready, that’s why I came back here originally.  Think I can steal a kiss before you go?”


“Oh, I think I have time for a couple…”  She walked towards him, wrapping her arms around his neck, pulling him against her.  The kiss was sweet, soft, Mikayla’s fingers stroking the back of his neck.  She pulled away, gazing into his eyes.  “Yeah, the kids might need to go to bed early tonight…”


“Go check on your daughter,” Justin sighed, wishing their moment could continue, not having to wait until later.


Mikayla walked down the hall, through the open doorway to see Barb standing in front of Lynn, who was sitting on the edge of Barb’s bed.


Barb’s eyes locked with Mikayla’s.  “Mommy, I feel like a princess…”


“You look like one, my beautiful girl,” Mikayla beamed.  Barb was in a soft pink dress with layers of gentle tiered ruffles, making Barb look almost like a Southern belle in a beauty pageant.  She looked at Lynn.  “Don’t get any ideas…”


“What?” Lynn asked, a lilt in her voice.


“You may have put Justin in pageants when he was little, but Barb will not follow in his footsteps.”


“Not even if she wants to?” Lynn asked.


“If she wants to.  But definitely not while we’re here, nothing spur of the moment.”


“Mommy, can you do my hair?” Barb asked.  “Nana brushed it for me again, just in case.”


“What do you want me to do with it?”


“Can you braid parts and pull it back?”


“Sure, baby.  Maybe I can do one side, Nana can do the other?  That way it goes faster.”


Barb nodded, Mikayla grabbing a couple plastic hair ties for the ends of the braids.  Mikayla and Lynn each braided a chunk of hair, securing the braids before Mikayla pinned it into a bun behind her head.  


They were soon ready, Justin speechless at seeing Barb in her dress and her hair all finished.  She was only 4, but looked so grown up.  He wasn’t ready to admit just how grown up she was; that before he knew it, she wouldn’t even be a little girl anymore.  


Justin watched them go with Lynn down the driveway, Joshy tugging on Justin’s pants.


“What are we doing today, Daddy?”

 

Justin smiled down at Joshy.  “Buddy, we’re gonna have some fun.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story