Author's Chapter Notes:

4/2/23

Mikayla woke up to the sound of Silas crying, opening her eyes to see JC holding him in his arms.  He walked towards her, sitting down on the bed.  “He’s hungry,” JC mumbled, barely half awake.


“I’m sorry if he woke you,” Mikayla sighed.


“I’ll get used to it.  Wait, I didn't mean it like that.”


“No, you got it exactly right,” Justin grumbled on the other side.  “It’s an adjustment, for sure.  The twins are almost 5, you’re not prepared to handle a newborn.  Nothing truly prepares you for a baby other than a baby.  Except a pet, maybe a cat?”


“Justin, get some sleep, you’re rambling…” Mikayla laughed lightly.  She kissed his forehead before taking Silas from JC.


“The fact that you’re still naked makes that kinda easy, doesn’t it?” JC wondered.


“Yes and no.  Typical male, can’t decide which one he wants first,” she smirked.  “If you only give him one option, he’s good.  Give him a second option at the same time and he doesn’t know what to do until I just make the choice for him.  Even then he might fuss a bit and then I do the other side.”


“Are you gonna talk all night, or can I go back to sleep?” Justin whined.


Mikayla and JC looked sheepishly at each other, instantly getting quiet.  JC got back under the covers.  Mikayla looked at him, eyes wide.  “Silas wasn’t in our room, how did you get him?”


“I heard a knock on the door.  Thank god I threw my sweatpants on before answering the door.  Would have given your mom quite a show otherwise…”


“Trying to sleep, remember?” Justin reminded them.  


JC grabbed his phone, opening the Notes app.  


I know I’ve said this before, but you’re such an incredible mom. Thank you for all you’ve done and do for our kids.


He showed Mikayla his phone, tilting the screen towards her. She nodded and replied with a silent “thank you”.


We really have it all. A woman that’s smart, funny, caring, passionate, sexy as hell, and gave both of us pretty fantastic kids. 


Mikayla grabbed his phone. We as in us, or you and Justin?


He took his phone back. Me and Justin. We don’t deserve you, either of us. Well, I don’t deserve you. Justin’s been great to you, with you, for you. It’s like you two were meant for each other.


Josh, we were just as many for each other. Sometimes shit happens. It took us a while, but eventually we made up. We’re getting married in 6 months. I know it’s not the wedding we wanted all those years ago, but it’ll be incredible. 


I’ve seen the layout and a bunch of the ideas. The Italy wedding was totally Justin, this one is all you.  Simple, stunning, understated.  I see you in everything and I love it.


I had some say in the Italy wedding. But yeah, I was given two or three choices I honestly never have chosen on my own based on price.  So I chose between what was given to me as options.


You seem to have much more control this time around, nothing is super showy or over the top. 


Wait till you see my dress…


I can’t wait to see you walking towards me in it, make you my wife, even if just symbolically.


Really gonna push for a honeymoon to go with it. 


I’m sure we could, or just stay at the cabin without the kids.


I can’t wait for New Year’s.  I’m told it’s gonna be special…


Stop trying to get me to spill the beans.  You know we both love to spoil and surprise you, so let us do this.


Ugh, fine. I’d say you’re no fun, but we both know that’s a lie.  Last night was…


I know, I was there. God, you’re so sexy, it’s not fair.


Right back at ya.  He’s almost done and then I’ll put him back to bed.


I’ll do it. More practice for at our place.  I have something I need to tell you, but not like this.


Is it about what you whispered to Justin that night at the hotel? 


Not now.  I want to talk to you about it, not posting a phone back and forth. But yes, that.


She smiled at JC, her mind processing things. Was he really wanting more kids? Had he changed his mind since they hadn’t talked about it since the night at the hotel? 


You’re thinking, I can tell by the look on your face. Put Silas to bed, we can go back to sleep and talk in the morning. I saw a small table outside, maybe we could sit and have breakfast, or sit in here on the couch.


It stopped snowing, so maybe outside could be nice, assuming I have a huge mug of tea.


Deal. I’ll put Silas in his bassinet and you get some sleep.


He took Silas from her arms, the baby already asleep from her milk and warmth. JC felt more like a dad whenever he held Silas, even though it made no sense to him as to why. He put Silas in the bassinet, turning to look at Mikayla in bed.  She easily could have curled up against Justin since he was already in bed, but she was turned to face his side of the bed, her eyes closed as she drifted off to sleep.  He got back into bed, Mikayla instantly pulling herself towards him, sighing contentedly.


“I love you,” JC whispered.


“I love you, too,” she whispered back in a voice he knew was half asleep.



“Justin, we’re going out first thing?  No breakfast?” Lynn asked.


“We’ll eat when we get there. We’ll make a few stops at places on the way in, but otherwise it’s a straight shot to breakfast,” Justin assured them. 


They got into their vehicles and Justin led the caravan towards the park.  Mikayla got butterflies in her stomach as they approached the tunnel, knowing what she’d see on the other side.  She was almost literally bouncing in her seat.


“Mom, you ok?” Barb asked.


“This is one of my favorite views,” she smiled from ear to ear.  “You see all of it at once, and with the snow yesterday, I’m sure it’s even more magical.”


They entered the tunnel, hearing Miguel honking his horn as they drove through the tunnel.  Mikayla smiled, memories over the years merging with the here and now.  She hoped the twins loved it as much as she did.


“How old were you the first time you were here, Mommy?” Joshy asked.


“I was a baby.  Maybe 6-9 months old.  I was under a year old, I know that.  There’s pictures of me in front of Yosemite Falls every time we came, so you can see me grow up, then when Miranda came along…”


“Wait, there’s waterfalls?” Joshy gasped.  “Can we go down them?”


“They’re waterfalls, not water slides,” Mikayla sighed.  “Way too dangerous.  There are warnings up about not playing near the rocks.  The current is too strong, the water will be too cold if you fall in.  There’s plenty of rocks to climb and trails to go on, but stay away from the rocks by the water.”


The light at the end of the tunnel was getting brighter, even with cloud cover.  Justin drove through the end of the tunnel, Mikaykla’s jaw dropping and gasping loudly.  JC was awestruck in silence. It wasn’t until Justin turned into the parking lot that the twins saw what they did, almost overwhelmed by it all.


The whole valley lay before them, snow covering everything.  Mikayla loved this place any time of year, but mixed with the magic of Christmas and snow, it was the closest to Heaven she could experience on Earth.  They got out of the cars, Mikayla just taking it all in as she held Silas.


“Baby boy, this is Mommy’s favorite place, with her favorite people.  I can’t wait to have lots of memories here with you and your siblings.”  She kissed the top of his head, even if it was covered by a beanie to keep his head warm as he was wrapped in a blanket and clutched tightly to her.  


“This place is incredible,” JC sighed, wrapping an arm around her waist.  “No wonder you love it so much.  I’ve heard about this place, but never even seen pictures, so this is amazing…”


“It’s so pretty, Mommy,” Barb added.


“It’s our favorite place, so we brought your moms here and they loved it, too,” Miguel said, walking up to the group gathered along the rock wall of the viewing area.  They took pictures of the sight before them, and of the kids in front of it all.  There was snow on the sidewalk, the kids picking some up to play with.


They soon got back into the cars, Justin leading them through the valley under Mikayla’s directions.  Eventually he saw signs, following signs instead of asking her for help.  He smiled knowing that she would realize where they were going.  They drove through the parking lot for the general store, Mikayla knowing where it led.


“Justin…”


“I know it's not Sunday, so we can’t do brunch,” Justin sighed.


“Still.  This will be incredible,” she smiled.


He pulled up to the Ahwahnee Hotel, the group parking in the lot.  Since they weren't staying at the hotel, they couldn’t use the valet parking, and Justin felt confident that with the group their size, hopefully he and JC could stay hidden amongst their family around them.  


They walked into the hotel and down the hall to the restaurant.  The kids were excited by the large fireplace, knowing the excitement ran in the family for sure.  They were seated at a large table instead of several smaller tables, Justin making sure that he, Mikayla, and JC were sitting facing the window, their backs to the rest of the guests eating.


“Justin, it’ll be fine,” Mikayla assured him.


“I’ve heard that before, and you’ve ended up as tabloid fodder.  You’re my wife, it’s my job to protect you as best I can.”


“Then having Josh sit next to me isn’t the best idea.”


“We each have one of the kids with us, that should be fine,” JC added.  “You both worry too much.  It’s not what it used to be, and they’re looking for scandal.  If anything, people might take pictures because they’re fans and see us out and about.  It’s Christmas, it shouldn’t be a news story that we were together with our kids and families.  If anything, it’ll be good press.  We’re making co-parenting work and we’re raising great kids.”


Mikayla knew JC was right.  She was mostly worried because Justin was worried.  She would have thought nothing of it until Justin insisted they sit where he thought was a strategical advantage to give them the most privacy.


“We could have just eaten at home if you’re THAT worried, Justin,” Mikayla sighed.  “We can’t go out in public and expect complete privacy at the same time.  We’re not doing anything wrong.  If people see us, they see us.  Josh will just need to keep his hands and lips to himself,” she smirked.


“I’ll try,” he laughed wryly, playing her comment off as sarcastic just in case anyone was listening.


They ordered breakfast, having varying conversations as they listened to a man in a tux play piano, the music filling the large dining hall.  Barb danced, pretending she was a ballerina.  Tyler’s girls joined in, dancing in the light against the window.  


“If we’d had breakfast at the cabin, we’d have missed this moment,” Justin smiled. 


The music stopped, the man getting up from the piano.  “Mommy, you should go play,” Barb said. 


“I don’t think I’m allowed to,” Mikayla replied. 


“Why not? It’s a piano, not something tricky,” Joshy added. 


“Good to know those piano lessons are coming in handy,” Justin smiled. 


“By lessons you mean me playing and letting Joshy figure things out?” Mikayla chuckled. 


“It’s still cute and gives great memories,” Justin answered back. “I’ve got great video of his hands on yours, Barb dancing next to you two. Stuff I’ll cherish forever.”


“Send those to me, I wanna see that. I’ll need to make sure we get moments like that at our place,” JC said. 


“Please, Mommy, go play the piano? You’re finished with your food,” Barb begged. 


“You’re not,” Mikayla pointed out. 


“I promise I’ll eat,” Barb said, grabbing her fork and stabbing a piece of her pancake. 


Mikayla slowly walked over to the piano, a few people watching her as she sat down to play. She felt like she was doing something forbidden, but it also was so tempting to do what she loved in her favorite place. Her fingers gently rested on the keys, almost hovering over them, waiting for someone to pull her away. 


She pressed down, playing her favorite classical piece, her eyes closed as she lost herself in the moment. She couldn’t see the eyes on her, including all of her family. 


“This is what drew you to her all those years ago, wasn’t it?” Karen asked JC quietly. 


“She was so beautiful, playing effortlessly, like it was the most natural thing in the world. I fell head over heels in love from the second I saw her the heard the music she was playing.”


Barb ate more from her plate, stopping to dance as Mikayla played. It was about 15 minutes before Mikayla finally opened her eyes, realized how many songs she had played, and stopped. She’d gone from one to another without hesitation, so the guests clapped as the music stopped.  Mikayla looked up, seeing Justin and JC beaming with pride.  She tried to quietly walk back to her table, but several guests grabbed her hand as she walked by to tell her what a lovely little show she had put on.


“Looks like you need to play more again,” Justin said when she sat back down beside him.  “You’d started, and then after Silas was born you stopped again.  I know, it’s busy with a newborn, but still allow yourself time for things that make you happy.  Playing, especially like that, that makes you happy.”


“Try playing for Silas around when he goes to sleep,” JC suggested.  “Or record with one of us and play it in the nursery.  


“Thank you, both of you, for your support.  I know I’ve done my fair share, but to be allowed to have that space for myself compared to you two and your talents, it helps me feel more like myself.  I haven’t had a lot of that lately, so thank you for encouraging this.  I want to get back into it more, making memories with our kids and reconnecting with another love of mine.”


“Well, I think we should head out before we draw more attention to ourselves,” Justin sighed.  “It was incredible hearing you play again, Kay.  Maybe that’s part of what you do now that you aren’t tied to the school.  We’ll help you whatever way we can, I’m sure.”


JC nodded.  “Whatever you want to do, we support you fully.”


“Again, I can’t tell you how much that means to me.  Thank you,” Mikayla smiled.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story