Author's Chapter Notes:

4/5/23

They left the restaurant, taking everyone on a walk of the field behind the hotel that led to the river.  Snow was everywhere, the trails that existed normally were now invisible under the cover of snow.  They stuck with one direction, making sure they could find their way back later and not get lost.  


The kids stopped at one spot with lots of untouched snow to make a snowman, one that was about the size of the twins.  It took all 6 of the cousins to make it, working together without arguing in what Mikayla could only describe as a miracle.  They even used snow to make a scarf around it, adding as much detail as they could without using anything beyond snow and sticks they found sticking through the snow.

 

They saw a few animals, mostly birds, though they thought they saw a deer in the distance of the field and trees.  They left well enough alone, the kids knowing that running after it would only scare it off.

 

They continued walking, hearing the sound of rushing water.  “THAT is why you stay away from the water and rocks,” Mikayla said.  “We can’t even see the river, but we can hear it.  That means it’s moving really fast.  One year we were here right before a flood hit that left everything down here under ten feet of water.  We can get close enough to see the river, but even then we need to stay back.  We respect the danger nature carries.”


The kids nodded quietly, raising their eyebrows when they heard the part about the flood.  They walked a little closer, the rushing river in view, keeping at least 25 feet away.  Mikayla leaned against Justin, sighing deeply in appreciation of where they were.  Even though the river was dangerous, being a safe distance away gave her a feeling of connection with nature while being safe.  This was her oasis, the place she felt whole and most at peace.  The day was already off to an amazing start, and she knew it would only continue.


They walked back to their cars, driving around to the different parking lots to walk to the different waterfalls, the kids making sure they stayed with their parents and staying a safe distance from everything.  The falls were fuller than they were in the fall, but nothing compared to after the snow began to melt and spring was in full effect.  They stood at the bridge to Lower Yosemite Falls, a light wind whipping the spray around them.


“Mommy, this is wet and cold,” Joshy complained, his hood up and closed as much as he could manage.


“I know, we’ll go in a minute.  I want to get pictures of you here like we have of your Auntie and I growing up.”


They quickly got the kids all together and snapped a couple quick pictures, the twins eager to get away from the water and warm up.  As they walked back to the cars, Justin grabbed Mikayla’s hand and smiled down at her.  She looked up at him, squeezing his hand in silent reply.  


They went to a restaurant in one of the hotel, Mikayla surprised that there was room for such a large group.  She looked up at Justin.  “You made reservations, or some special arrangements, didn't you?”

  

“They don’t normally, but when I called and said who would need it, they were very cooperative.  It’s all worth it to give you and the kids a memorable trip.”


They all ate a leisurely lunch, the kids glad to be dry and warm. They walked around the little village area they were in, which included an indoor and outdoor Native American museum about the Ahwahneechee tribe and their life in the Yosemite Valley. There was another museum about the rocks and formation of the valley, focused on the scientific aspects. This interested the older boys, Joshy and Barb interested in things they could climb, whether or not they should. 


They finished with trips to a couple gift shops; a large one that sold shirts, stuffed animals, and food for campers; and some of the adults went into the Ansel Adams gallery. Justin bought a couple prints, one black and white and one colorized of Half Dome.  "I think one of these should go in the bedroom, or somewhere you can see it every day and be reminded of your favorite place," he smiled, Mikayla hugging him in appreciation.


They walked back to their cars, the kids playing with toys from the gift shop as they drove to a couple more quick stops. They stopped to get a view of the river with as much of the valley as they could see. It had always been one of Mikayla’s favorite spots. 


“When I die,” Miguel said, “I want my ashes spread in the field on the other side of the river.”


Mikayla hugged her dad. “That sounds like a perfect resting place. Let’s hope it’s not for a long, long time.  I think I want that, too. To be forever part of my favorite place. Maybe not all my ashes, so whoever wants them can have me near.”


“I don’t want to think about that for a long time,” Justin sighed, pulling her tight into his arms. “I know we have our wills in order, but I don’t want to think about losing you and having to be without you. I hope I go first so I never have to lose you.”  He kissed the top of her head.


JC nodded.  “I lost you once, I can’t imagine losing you again forever.”


“IF, and I stress this heavily, IF something were to ever happen to me, I want you to find love again, eventually,” Mikayla said.


“Not possible,” Justin said, squeezing her tight.  “I don’t think either of us ever could.  Not the same way.”


“Not in the same way, but you’d feel that connection with someone again, at some point.”


“I can’t imagine wanting anyone else but you,” Justin continued.


“I had over 4 years to try and move on, and I couldn’t, I can’t imagine the rest of my life,” JC added.


“But if there’s no chance of anything, I’m gone, I at least want you to try, be open to the possibility of finding love again.  Barb will need a mom figure in her life, the kids will need that.”


“I have Autumn, Justin has Rachel, there’s Heather and Sarah, I’m sure lots of friends or relatives would step in.  Let’s hope there's never a need to figure this out.”


JC quickly hugged Mikayla, his arms across Justin’s, Mikayla knowing both of them would move Heaven and Earth to make her happy and loved her fully and completely.  None of them could imagine life without each other, even just the brotherly bond between Justin and JC.  JC let go after a second, aware that people might be watching, but the affection towards Mikayla was still palpable.


They got back in the cars and headed out of the park, Justin smiling as he drove.  He led the group to the restaurant they’d be to on Christmas Eve, finding the parking lot fuller and the restaurant more busy. It was still the holidays, so some might have still been out of town, but he figured the locals that were home from Christmas celebrations were getting back into the swing of things.  


Hazel’s eyes brightened as she saw the group, looking around to try and accommodate them.  She began going to tables, speaking in hushed tones, people starting to get up from their tables, even with plates of food.


“Hazel, you don’t have to,” Justin said quietly.  “I don’t want people to think I expect this of anyone.  We’ll wait for a table to be ready.  Take your time folks, please.”  


The people sat back down, Hazel getting kids menus for the kids to color while they waited, some people moving to different tables or pushing empty ones together to make room.  


“Really, you don’t…” Justin began.


“We want to,” one man said.  “Hazel told us a large family came in, treated them well.  You’re guests here, we want to thank you for choosing to support a small business when you could have gone with somewhere else.  At the point of sounding cheesy, we hope you come back again any time you’re going to the park, that we make you feel like family.”


“She certainly did, they all did,” Justin smiled.  “I hope we didn't ruin anyone’s dinner in all of this.”


“Not at all,” a woman said.


“I’m from a small town, so this reminds me a lot of home.”


“Sure does,” Lynn agreed.  “You may be a big city man now, but deep down you’ll always be a small town country boy.  Thank y’all for making room for us.”


“Anything to see those smiling little angelic faces,” Hazel smiled back, looking at the twins and Tyler's girls.  


They sat down at the tables pushed together, ordering dinner and making small talk with the tables around them as they waited.  They talked about Yosemite, the locals giving them ideas of other places they could go, things they could do for the next couple days before they all left.  


Mikayla looked at Justin and smiled, feeling almost like they were in his hometown, the locals talking with the tourists.  Though the tourists in town were usually trying to see bits of Justin, where he grew up and places they’d heard he’d been to growing up or frequented when he was in town.  She felt safe with the people around her, enough to hold JC’s hand under the table.  Even if they knew who both of them were, none of them seemed to be interested in making money off the story of them all being together.  They took it for what it was, a family getting together for the holidays, spending time together as one big family.  


They finished dinner, taking almost 3 hours between all the food, drinks, and talking with other patrons.  It was dark when they got into the cars, the younger children nodding off on the drive back to the cabin.  The children all went right to bed, the adults settling into the living room in front of the fire.  They played a quiet card game Mikayla’s family had played as long as she could remember.  Teaching it to the other parents proved a bit tricky as the game wasn’t exactly turn based. 


It started off that way, but towards the end players were skipped to whoever still needed a certain dice roll combo to flip one of their cards.  It was getting down to the end, most people with one or two cards left facing up.  You had to roll two dice to add up to the value of one of your cards.  Most had all been turned over except the more difficult ones to get.  It was down to Mikayla, Justin, and JC with one card remaining. Justin needed a 6, but could only roll 2 and 4, JC needed 9 with 4 and 5, and Mikayla needed 7 with 3 and 4.  It was Justin’s turn to roll. Rolling JC or Mikayla’s needed combo would make them the winner. 


“I’m telling you, Josh, both of you, quit now and let your woman win. Otherwise one or both of you might be sleeping alone tonight,” Tyler laughed. 


“She’s never competitive except for board games type things,” Justin smiled. “It’s kinda hot.”


“Hey, we don’t need to know about any of that,” Miranda replied, giving Mikayla a knowing wink. “Justin, just roll already.  Either you win, you lose, or Mikayla gets her turn.”


Justin took the dice in his hand, shaking them gently before tossing them onto the table. He rolled a combo of 5, sighing in relief that he hadn’t fully lost yet.   He handed the dice to Mikayla.  She took them, shaking them with both hands, shaking vigorously before giving a few gentle shakes. She rolled them out of her hand, watching them fall to the table. 


One die landed on 4, Mikayla nervous as the other rolled along the table. It fell off the table, JC bending down to look so she couldn’t cheat.  It landed on the carpet on a corner; 3 on one side, 5 on the other. Giving her the 3 meant she won, counting the 5 meant he did. 


“So, did she win or do you get a turn?” Heather asked. 


JC picked up the die. “We have a winner. Way to go, Kay.”


“Really? I won?”


“It was on 3.”  JC quickly looked at Tyler, sharing a knowing look. He looked at Mikayla. “You won, fair and square.”


“Yes!” she shouted. “I am just that awesome!”


Justin looked at Mikayla, trying not to be turned on by her confidence and excitement. She was competitive but fun, she brought out the fun side of him. 


They all decided to call it a night, giving hugs before going their own separate ways.  Mikayla started getting ready for bed in the bathroom, Justin and JC sitting tentatively on the side of the bed.  


“She really won?” Justin whispered.


“I said she did, didn’t I?” JC replied.


“You let her win…” he gasped quietly.


“It was her or me.  I may not be the smartest man, but I know how to make my woman happy.”


“What if it had been her or me?” Justin wondered.


“Seriously, you have to ask?” JC chuckled.  “I love you, bro, but this is Kayla.  You know how she gets…”


“How I get with what?” Kayla asked, standing in front of them.


“The die landed where either me or you could have won,” Justin lied.  “JC chose you.”


“Oh,” Mikayla sighed.  She squeezed her way between them on the bed, staying silent.


“You ok?” JC asked.  


She faced Justin, looking in his eyes a moment.  She leaned in and kissed him deeply, Justin surprised by the move.  He melted into her kiss, sad when she pulled back.


“I’m sorry you lost,” she said, giving him a quick peck.


She then turned to JC, kissing him.  It was soft and sweet, but lingering.  As she pulled back, she smiled.  “Thank you.”


She looked between the both of them.  “I say we play a game where we all win,” she suggested with a smirk.

 

The guys looked at each other before looking at her.  “Baby,” Justin said, “you’re about to get really lucky…”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story