Author's Chapter Notes:

4/14/23

“Can we talk about that?” Mikayla asked.  “We haven’t fully talked about something, just brief mentions and promising to talk later, but then never get around to it."


JC disposed of the condom and threw on a dry pair of underwear before getting back onto the bed, wrapping an arm around Mikayla.  She had gotten under the blankets, not wanting to be so exposed during the conversation that was about to happen.


Justin had dried off from his shower, opening the door into the bedroom a bit wider.  “Do you want some privacy?” he asked the two in the bed.


“This affects you, in a way, so I think you should stay, have your say in the matter,” JC replied.


Mikayla lay in the middle of the bed, JC holding her as they faced Justin, who took a seat on his side of the bed.  “This is mostly between the two of you, but I’m here if you need a second opinion,” Justin sighed.


“Josh, what did you mean a few weeks ago, it’s all a blur to me at this point as far as what exactly was said.  It sounded like you said you might want another baby?”


JC sighed, collecting his thoughts, choosing his words carefully.  “I do.  I know I saw you pregnant with Silas, and the twins are mine, but I want a child of our own that I’m there from start to finish with, no interruptions like with the twins.  You’re beautiful when you’re pregnant, not to sound demeaning as if that’s all you’re good for, but I want to see that pregnancy glow and know that’s my child you’re carrying.”


“Sounds kinda familiar,” Mikayla smiled softly, looking at Justin.  Their eyes met, and he smiled back, thankful that they’d been blessed with Silas.  She looked back at JC.  “How long have you felt this way?”


“At least a month, probably more.  I think it started when I watched you have SIlas.  Wanting to be in that delivery room with you instead of on a FaceTime call. You’re a great mom, and I started wanting a second chance to be the dad I should have been.  I know I’m getting that with the twins, but I want from the start.  The twins are our DNA, but Justin raised them.”


“You’re helping raise Silas, that’s not enough?  In case you haven’t noticed recently, newborns are a lot of hard work.  Long nights, diapers, potty training, there’s a lot that goes into having a kid,” Justin pointed out.


“You wanted one with her, not satisfied raising someone else’s kids.  How is what I want any different?” JC wondered pointedly.  


“I guess it isn’t. You already have the twins, kids that are yours, and you’re helping raise Silas, so I guess I feel like it’s even right now.  If you have another with Mikayla, it won’t be balanced.”


“All this to save your ego from losing to me?” JC scoffed.


“My heart, not my ego.  Having three kids with you to one with me.  I wonder if she won’t love me the same.”


“So much for this being a me and Josh conversation,” Mikayla sighed.  “Justin, I will you love whether we have 20 kids together, which is never gonna happen, or if we had none together.  I see both of your sides in this.  Josh wants a chance to redeem himself, and Justin wants to keep things more even.  Justin, do you want more kids with me?  Do you feel our family is missing something?”


“No.  I love the twins, I have since I saw that blip on the screen in the hospital…”


“I don’t mean the twins.  I mean just you and me.”


“I felt whole once Silas was born.  I wanted nothing more than to have a child with you.  Nothing can take away that we made two together, but once Silas was born, I knew I could be the father I had always wanted to be to a child that was mine, that was it.  If you wanted more, I’d gladly try with you, but I feel that I’m getting to live out all the dreams my fame and success couldn’t give me or take away from me.  I could leave the music business tomorrow and I’d still have a wife and son that I love more than life itself.”


“I want that for myself, T.  I still feel like there’s a lot I missed out on with Mikayla, with my own kids.  I want a chance to have what you have now with Silas.  Am I glad we have the twins together?  Absolutely.  But do I wish I had a chance to do it over, the right way?  Also yes.  You see it as being equal right now, but I still very much feel it is lopsided towards you.”  JC looked at Mikayla. “What do YOU want?  Do you even want to be pregnant again?”


“I need some time to think.  In theory, this all sounds great.  In reality, how do we handle that I’m legally married to Justin, and this child between us would be a Chasez?  That birth certificate would be open to the public through health records.  Anyone wanting to know the last name could find it, and it would be a shit show.  The world likes that we’re coparenting, but would that change if we had a baby together and they found out?  I know I shouldn’t care, I should do what I want to do, but I also don’t want to open us up to controversy that could cost you your career, Josh.  It’s a lot to think about, especially since I still have that timeframe where my body really should rest and not get pregnant again.  I honestly don’t think anything bad would happen if it did before that window is up, but I also want to listen to my doctors and give myself that space to enjoy the stages Silas is in before having another.  There’s a lot to consider that affects all of us.  I’m not saying no, I just need to think it over before I say for sure one way or another.”


“Take all the time you need, Kay,” JC said gently.  “I didn't want to push you in any way, and I’d want you to follow the doctor’s advice.  That hopefully gives you plenty of time to think about it.”


“I will say this, that I will be going on birth control so you won’t have to use condoms if you don’t want to.  I know you’re being very considerate of me with it right now, but we all know the difference it makes.”


“Can we trust that?” JC asked. 


“I’d say so,” Justin replied. “Once her doctor confirmed it would be effective by itself, we were fine until we were ready to start trying. It took a couple months, but… well, you know the rest.”


“It only took a couple months cuz SOMEONE was on tour. Having you home for a day or two here and there didn’t help.”


“I know I just said I want another kid, but I also don’t want to risk…”


“It’ll be fine, Josh.  Give me time to think things over as far as getting pregnant, but I don’t want it to stop us from being intimate.”


“Fancy way of saying you wanna keep fucking,” Justin chuckled. He looked at the clock on the nightstand. “5 minutes to midnight.  Wanna put robes or something on and celebrate?”


“Just bring the champagne and we can celebrate in here, no dress code required,” Mikayla smiled. “You’re only in a towel…”


“Am I really the only one wearing any kind of clothing?” JC laughed. “Underwear, but still.”


“Yeah, I’ve just got the towel. I was coming out here to get a dry pair when I saw you two were talking.”


“Go get the champagne and we’ll figure something out,” Mikayla encouraged.  Justin walked into the main part of the suite to grab a bottle of champagne and three glasses. He returned, putting the open bottle on the nightstand, pouring the glasses.  He waited for them to get out of bed, but when Mikayla didn’t move, neither did JC.


“Having champagne in bed?” Justin laughed lightly.  “Alright then.”  He passed glasses to JC and Mikayla before starting to get into bed.


“Lose the towel, Timberlake,” Mikayla growled.


“I’m not wearing…”


“I said lose the towel,” she repeated, her eyes like fire.  Justin willingly took one hand and pulled the towel off his waist before getting into bed.


Mikayla reached across Justin for the TV remote, turning it on and putting it on one of the main networks, knowing they’d have a countdown going.  Being married to Justin, she felt like she knew plenty of celebrities, but the ones she saw on TV were a complete mystery to her.


“Am I getting that old?  That not even being married to you helps me know who’s famous and the big stars anymore?” Mikayla wondered aloud, looking at Justin.


“If it helps, I’ve heard the name but never met them,” Justin smiled, trying to keep things light.  “You’re the youngest of the three of us, so if you’re getting old…”


“I’m ancient,” JC chuckled.  


“Well, you ARE 40 now,” Justin laughed.  


The countdown to midnight began, one minute to go.  Justin raised his glass. “To a great year ahead full of love, laughter, and life.”


“To Mikayla and her amazing adventure she’s about to begin,” JC said, raising his own glass.


“To our amazing family, and the love it’s built upon.  I can’t imagine a better life for myself than with you,” Mikayla smiled, raising her glass.


Their glasses clinked, counting down the final seconds to midnight.  5… 4… 3… 2… 1.


“Happy New Year,” Justin said lightly. Raising his glass again, the trio clinked their glasses before finishing their glasses.  


“I like how last year ended, I say this year starts off the same way,” Mikayla smiled.


“Ok, I’m gonna need more context,” Justin said, admittedly confused.


“We’re getting into the shower, but what we’ll do in there will be far from getting clean…”

 

“That’s my girl,” Justin and JC smiled.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story