Author's Chapter Notes:

4/30/23

“Today is mostly organizing things, getting things how we want them,” Justin said, looking at the twins.  ‘We’re landing soon, so I wanted to make sure you knew the plan.”


The twins nodded their heads.  "So we don’t get to play?” Barb asked with a slight pout.


“I never said that,” Justin chuckled.  “We’re getting everything settled, starting with your rooms, then you can play while we figure out things in the rest of the house.  Even stuff in the backyard might need to be moved around.  I know it will in June for sure, so we’ll secure certain things but not others.”


“What’s in June?” Joshy asked.


“I guess we tell them now?” Mikayla asked, looking at Justin and JC.  They nodded silently, looking to her to explain.  “Well, Barb, do you remember asking if Mommy and Daddy could get married because we love each other so much?  That you wanted us to get married?”


“But you said you couldn’t because you were already married to Daddy,” Barb replied.


“Well, Daddy JC and I are doing a little ceremony…”


“Nothing little about it, let me tell ya,” Justin laughed under his breath, catching JC’s attention, making his mind start spinning of how this would be all Justin and nothing of himself.


“I won’t actually be married to both your daddies, but we’re having a wedding to show our families that we love each other and we’ll promise to love each other forever, just like in a real wedding.”


‘Really?  You’re getting married to Mommy?” Barb asked JC, her eyes practically filled with stars.


“I am, we are.  It’s on the same day that Mommy and Daddy Justin first got married, when you two were in her tummy.  So it’ll be extra special cuz Mommy’s gonna promise to love both of those forever, and we’re going to love her back just as much, like we already do.”


“Yuck,” Joshy blurted.


“You say that now,” JC chuckled.


“I’ll bet good money that of the two of you, you get married first, Joshy boy,” Justin laughed.  “You’re so caring, kind, and the fact that you look and sing like your dad means girls will be beating down the door to date you someday.”


“Jenny in my class already kissed him on the playground,” Barb announced.


“Did YOU know about this?” Justin asked Mikayla.


“No.  Where?” Mikayla asked quickly, without thinking to be more precise in her questioning.


“By the slide,” Barb answered.


“Not what I meant.  On the cheek, on the lips?” Mikayla asked again.


“On the cheek.  She says she’s my girlfriend,” Joshy said, rolling his eyes.


“You’re not even 5 yet, where do they get this stuff?”


“She has an older brother at the school, so maybe from that? I think they have a sister in 6th grade…” Mikayla answered.


“Well, you’re too young, both of you, for anything like that.  I’m sure Mommy agrees,” JC chuckled.  “I won’t lie, I’m sure both Daddy Justin and I had things like this from a young age, but you’re just not ready for it.”


‘I wasn’t ready for it even at 14, and I’m not even saying what all had happened by then,” Justin added.


Mikayla knew full well what had happened, having discussed his full romantic history very early on in their dating relationship, just so there were no surprises later.  Mostly of different celebrities, which had made her all the more insecure at the time, just a nobody that Justin was somehow interested in.  She was sure JC knew as well, given that Justin was only 12 when he’d joined MMC and met JC.  JC might not have known Justin’s full past the way she did, but probably very close given the depth of their friendship at the time.


“Can we just never have them date?  Not til like… college?” Mikayla asked with a laugh.  “Don’t be in a rush, I took my time falling in love and look where it led me.”  Mikayla wrapped her arms around both men, sitting on either side of her.  “Love is complicated sometimes, but it's beautiful when it’s right.”


“It certainly is,” Justin agreed, kissing the top of her head, leaning her head on his chest. JC laced his fingers with hers around his shoulder.


“I’m sad people don’t think Uncle Lance and Michael should be together,” Barb sighed.


“Where did you hear THAT?” JC gasped.


“Uncle Stephen’s Mommy said it at our cousin’s birthday party.  That it’s a sin.  What does that mean?”


“Well, it usually means someone is doing something bad.  Listen to me.  There is nothing wrong about Uncle Lance and Michael loving each other.  I love your Auntie, but your uncle’s side of the family doesn’t always get things right.  They can think what they want, but know that it’s ok to love whoever you love, because love is an amazing thing.  You love your friends, your family, you can even love people you don’t know by being nice to them.  Some people don’t understand that, and it’s our job to try and help them.  We show them by living out love every day, being kind and caring and showing people they matter, no matter who they are or where they come from.  We’re all people, we all have hearts inside of us that want to be treated nicely and be loved by others.  The world needs more love in it, not more anger and hate at things that are different.  Differences make us stronger and help us understand each other.”


“I don’t think we could have said it any better than that,” Justin said, smiling at Mikayla. She always knew what to say, and it was amazing to watch her with the twins, answering their questions in ways they usually could understand.


Mikayla knew better than to tell the twins that that particular side of the family was not invited to the wedding, Miranda had been told not to say anything to her husband’s side beyond a vow renewal for her and Justin.  Her brother in law wouldn’t be coming, he rarely came to things he wasn't forced to, and that he wouldn’t approve based on his family’s ideas about things.  She honestly didn't know what they knew about her, whether they thought the twins were Justin’s or not, but she also didn't care.  They were thankfully respectful to her when they were together, but she feared that might change if they knew the full story, at least the more recent developments. 


The plane landed, the family getting into an SUV that was waiting for them at the small airport. It reminded Mikayla of when they first came out to Montana, looking at where they would build this home, get some time away together. Now they were really making it feel like home and going over details for the wedding that was four months away. 


They entered the community, the twins amazed by the mountains and the buildings around them, curious which one was theirs. They were almost taking bets on what the house would have, the theme of their rooms, etc.  JC was sitting next to Silas in the middle row, the twins in the back and loving feeling on their own a bit. 


Justin slowed to turn onto a driveway. “This is it, guys. This is home away from home.”


They continued down the drive, which gave some added privacy, before the house came into view. It was 3 stories tall, having a more modern cabin look to it. It was large, but not imposing and grandiose, it felt homey. It was inviting, not intimidating, and the kids were excited to get inside. 


“It has a 5 car garage, plus parking space along the driveway for people for the wedding, it’ll be perfect,” Justin smiled. The kids were quick to unbuckle their seatbelts before realizing the child locks were on and JC was blocking their way out. “Easy, kiddos,” Justin laughed. “None of this is going anywhere if you don’t get in there right this second. Even then, the doors inside are locked.”  Justin jingled his key ring.


JC got out on one side, Mikayla getting Silas from the other, the twins sliding out onto the ground, excited to get inside. 


“How will you know which rooms are yours?” Justin laughed as he took his time unlocking the door. 


“We’ll know, Daddy, we’ll know,” Barb giggled. 


Justin opened the door, the kids flying past him opening every door until they went up to the second story.


“Justin, this place is incredible.  Three stories though…” JC gasped as he stepped in. 


“The third floor is mainly a big loft playroom for the kids, even then it’s not super big like you would think. The kids’ rooms are on the second floor, along with a couple bathrooms and more guest rooms. Main floor is the living room, game room, dining room, kitchen, guest bath and the master suite.”


“I love the furniture, even though I’d better because I helped pick it. It’s like I’m living in a magazine photo shoot.  Seeing it in person…”  Mikayla stood in the large living room, looking up. “You can see the other two floors from here…”


“Yeah. Like we wanted. The piano is on the ground floor though, they didn’t recommend putting it on the second floor. But it’ll still have a similar effect, I’m sure. You wanna be the first to play it?” Justin offered. 


Mikayla smiled. “It would be an honor.”  She walked over to the piano, sliding her fingers over the lid of the keyboard portion, almost afraid to touch it and ruin its perfect shine. This piano was meant to be played, so she sat and carefully lifted the lid. She sighed, closing her eyes as her fingers found their starting key placements. She began to play, the sound filling the house. The twins came out to the landing, looking down to watch her play. 


Joshy raced downstairs to watch her more closely.  He had been taking lessons in earnest from Brent; while Justin, Mikayla, and JC just let him explore and not teach him so much. He watched from the bottom of the stairs as she played, like the rest of the world didn’t exist.  


Barb watched from the balcony, lost in the music as she danced alone. JC looked up as he saw her twirl, nudging Justin to look between each of the twins.


“They got the best of her in them, didn’t they?” JC whispered to Justin. 


“They got the best of you, too, C.  We’re seriously lucky with these two, let me tell you.”


“We’re seriously lucky to have all of this,” JC sighed.  “She could have chosen one of us.  That ‘what if’ weighs on both of us sometimes, I’m sure.  Is that what happened yesterday after the party?”


“I dunno.  It’s always in the back of my mind, the ‘what ifs’ and the reality of the situation.  As much as it makes her happy, I can’t help but feel like I’m not enough for her and she’s gonna leave, eventually.  Especially with this wedding thing, making those same vows to you that she did for me.”


“You gave her plenty of chances to leave over the years, why would she leave now if she hasn’t already?  She’s told you she won’t leave you, Justin.”


“Didn’t you kinda promise her the same thing all those years ago?  You were trying to get pregnant, and succeeded right before the breakup.”


“Not in the same way, though.  Yes, we’d been together a long time, we were trying to start a family, but I was the one that messed up everything.”


“Let’s just enjoy this moment before we say things we don’t mean.  Look at your kids, C.”


“Look at your wife, T.  YOUR son seems to be enjoying this, too.”  JC looked at Silas in his car seat, smiling and quietly cooing, almost as if he were trying to sing along to a song with no words.  “Maybe he’ll become a songwriter like you.”


“Like both of us.”


“He’s gonna be dangerous when he’s older.  Looks like his mama, with hopefully my musical abilities.  Kinda like the twins.  Honestly, we’re so lucky, C.”

 

“We really are.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story