Mikayla walked down the stairs, surprised to see streamers and a big sign in JC’s handwriting that said Happy Birthday.  The twins had drawn pictures on it and it was clear he put it up on the wall before they did so.


“Good morning my sweet angels,” Mikayla chirped, looking at the twins.


“Happy birthday, Mommy!” they cheered.  “JC helped us decorate!”


“I see that,” she chuckled. She looked at the mini poster, color streaks on the page but nothing on the walls.  “How…?”


“Crayola Color Magic or whatever it’s called. Where the stuff only works on the special paper…”


“You’re a fast learner,” Mikayla smiled.  “Thank you, this is very sweet.”


“Anything for the birthday girl.”


Mikayla turned, hearing the front door open, sighing in relief as Jackie stepped into view. She had a bouquet of lilies in one hand, a paper grocery bag in the other.


“Good morning, Mikayla. Happy birthday,” Jackie said softly. 


“You didn’t need to bring flowers,” Mikayla said. 


“Figured just in case neither of these fellas got you anything…” Jackie shrugged with a smile. 


“Thank you, they’re beautiful and I love them.”


“I got her something, just not flowers,” JC interrupted, admittedly a little perturbed at Jackie’s assumption.


“Oh, JC, I didn't mean…”


“Dare I ask what’s in the bag?” Mikayla asked, realizing she sounded more like the twins than an adult at that moment.


“Some things for breakfast.  Since you’re awake, I’ll ask… did you want something different than yesterday, as far as the eggs?”


“I would eat them every day if I could, so that’s not an issue.”


“Ok, I’ll make that for you, maybe your family’s breakfast hash for everyone else?”


“Ummm, let’s just have that for me instead of the other.  It’s been a while since I’ve had that, even though I know how to make it for myself.  Jackie, you don’t need to…”


“I know it’s not in my job description, but I want to,” Jackie replied.


Mikayla walked over to Jackie, seeing JC bonding with the kids.  “You want to be here to witness this, don’t you?”


“A little.  I was a fan back in the day, as young as I am.  At first it was to see JC, but now that I know your little secret, I wanna see how they respond to him.  He’s doing a great job so far, I gotta hand it to him…”


“Yeah.  I just hope they take the news ok.  I mean, it’s a big deal, finding out your dad isn’t actually your dad… I’ve got some numbers for therapists in my contacts just in case.”


“Might not be a bad idea, to help them transition into things.  I mean, I know you and Justin are staying together, having the baby and all, but introducing JC into the mix as far as custody and such… It could be hard for them to process.”


“I’ll seriously consider it. I meant it more as a joke, but you made a lot of sense, Jackie.”


“I’ll start on breakfast. As much as I know you love your family, I’ll make you a cup of tea and suggest you have a moment to yourself. You’re likely to be spoiled all day and will want a little alone time where no one is fussing over you…”


“That’s not a bad idea.”


“Just make sure Justin gives you space, too. I can handle JC and the twins if you decide to go upstairs. That balcony looks lovely…”


“I think I’ll walk on the beach, but thank you. I’ll grab a sweater and be back down for that cup of tea.”


Mikayla made her way back upstairs, Justin still in the shower getting properly clean.  Mikayla already had jeans on for the cooler morning, grabbing a somewhat oversized sweater, a favorite of hers from Justin as a gift a few years prior.  It was soft and reminded her of him on days where he wasn’t home.


She went downstairs again, Jackie having a cup of tea steeping for her, sugar added already.  She walked towards the sliding glass door.


“Be careful,” JC said softly, Mikayla smiling as she opened the door.  She nodded silently as she closed the door behind her.


She put the cup of tea down on the table on the patio, opting to walk along the beach as it cooled a bit.  She was already barefoot, the cool sand feeling good on her feet.  She knew the warmth of the day would make it warmer as the day wore on, so enjoying the cool while she could felt invigorating.  There was a good 150 feet between the edge of their backyard to the shoreline, walking slowly towards the water.  She knew it would be cold, but wanted to get closer to the sound of the waves and be alone with her thoughts.


Last night was… incredible.  I know Justin had sworn it would never happen, and honestly I don’t think any of us EVER expected something like that, but… wow.  I feel like maybe this can work after all.


She looked at the waves, closing her eyes to hear the crashing and retreating, breathing in with each crash, breathing out at each retreat back.  A scene flashed into her mind at that moment.  She thought back to being in her car, at a red light turning green, narrowly missing being hit by that truck. 

 

I could’ve died that morning. No Mother’s Day, no birthday, no Silas to look forward to. Life is too short, too precious.  I feel bad with this arrangement, I really should only have one of them… But there’s so much history. Josh and I have the twins, our flesh and blood. I’m Justin’s wife, carrying our own baby. I can’t make a clean break from either of them. I don’t want to. I really hope we can make this work somehow.

 

She tried to clear her mind, focusing on the rhythm of the waves, setting her breathing to that rhythm. She watched as the waves rolled in, feeling a sense of calm, renewal.  She realized she’d been out for over half an hour, her tea was probably cold by now. She walked back to the patio, finding her cup still warm. 


“I saw you start to walk back and heated it up for you,” JC said softly from the sliding glass door.


“Breakfast ready?” Mikayla wondered. JC nodded as she took a sip of her tea.  “This is perfect,” she sighed. 


“As it should be. The perfect birthday for the perfect woman,” JC said, wishing he could wrap his arms around her.


“A great ocean view, a perfect cup of tea, and surrounded by those I love most…”


She walked inside, locking eyes with Justin as she walked past JC.  He bit his lip, loving the comfy look she had on at the moment. She was relaxed and yet effortlessly put together.


They sat at the table, Justin sitting on one end, JC on the other, Mikayla between them and the twins opposite her. 


“Daddy, why is JC here?” Barb asked.  “No offense…”


“I missed quite a few of your Mommy’s birthdays and I want to spend time with her, and you guys. I hope that’s ok. I even got her a present…” JC leaned in towards Barb.


“Well, if you got her a present, then ok…”


“I forgot to give you your gift for Mother’s Day,” Justin groaned, covering his face with his hand.  “I can grab it now if you…”


“Let’s have breakfast first,” Mikayla said. She looked around. “Where’s Jackie?”


“She left. Saw I was here and knew this was a big enough group.”


Mikayla pulled out her phone. I’m sorry you came all this way just to make breakfast for us. I really could have done this myself, directed everyone on what to do…


Not a problem. 3 adults and two littles is enough. I don’t want to intrude…


Nonsense, you’re just as much a part of our family.


Enjoy your birthday, Mikayla. I’ll see you tomorrow.

 

Mikayla put her phone away, being in the moment with her family.  Along with the scramble, Jackie had made blueberry muffins, the house smelling delicious.  They spent the better part of the day outside, the twins playing in the backyard or everyone enjoying the beach.  


Mikayla lay on her towel, watching Justin and JC splashing in the water with the twins.  Nothing past the twins’ calves, each of the guys close enough to snag the twins should something try to pull them out to sea.  Jackie had brought their puppy, Harley, seeing him splash around with the guys and the kids.  


Justin looked up at Mikayla, their eyes locking.  He smiled softly, silently mouthing ‘I love you’ to her, Mikayla replying in kind.  Her heart felt full watching her family together, something so pure.  JC caught her eye, hope of what could be in the twins finally knowing the truth about JC.  She hoped they took the news well, knowing he hadn’t meant to ignore them.  The timing around all of it had been terrible.  If everything had been off by even a week before, she’d have realized she was pregnant, told JC while she still had a chance with him.  She imagined calling him from the hospital, or even having the hospital call him that day she found out, getting him there to find out the news.  She knew she’d never have ended up with Justin if that had happened, and as much as she wondered what would have been with JC, she was so glad for what HAD happened with Justin.


She watched the twins.  How they hadn’t figured out JC was their dad, at least Joshy’s, was almost beyond her. She knew not a lot of pictures of younger JC existed, but she’d be damned if Joshy didn’t look like the ones she’d seen at Roy and Karen’s when they were dating.  


Shit, she thought. They need to know they’re grandparents… It’s only been a few days, would he have told them already?  She figured probably not, based on not getting texts yesterday for Mother’s Day.  She laughed as she received a well timed text from Karen. 


Happy birthday, honey. 


You’ve never forgotten , the last 5 years…


You were family. I know Josh had his reasons to be upset, he never told us…


I never asked, I’m sure it hurt when I started seeing Justin, married him.


It did, for a while. We saw Chris one day not long after and he told us you did what you felt was right, that Josh had made his decision and you made yours.  


That sounds terrible, actually. Know that I loved him, still do.


It doesn’t do well to dwell on the past. Happy birthday, Mikayla. Happy Mother’s Day, too.


Happy belated Mother’s Day, Karen. 


You can still call me Mom…


I need to call you soon.


Enough, I’m taking up precious birthday time. Talk to you soon.

 

Another casualty in the wake of everything. She never meant to hurt JC, let alone his family hoping she was the one he’d settle down with.


They went inside for lunch, Justin ordering pizza at Mikayla’s request. He bounded upstairs, leaving her with JC and the twins. 


“Your mom texted to wish me a happy birthday…”


“Sounds like Mom,” JC smiled. 


“Never missed a year yet,” Mikayla sighed. 


“DEFINITELY Mom,” he chuckled. 


“I told her I need to call her soon, definitely not a shortage of things to tell her…”


“Tomorrow?” he offered quietly.   Mikayla nodded silently as they sat on the couch, waiting for Justin to come down. 


He came down with a large gift. It was at least half his height, but very thin depth wise, as wide as he was, a little wider. 


“This was more for yesterday, so keep that in mind.  I hope you like it…”


Justin pulled off the paper, displaying it for everyone to see.  It was a custom painting of Mikayla and the twins, a heart in her stomach, and angel wings and footprints in the corner. At the bottom it read “Barbara Renee and Joshua Miguel, February 2012. Baby Timberlake, February 2015.  Silas Randall, October 2016.”


“Justin, I love it.  Our family…” Mikayla sighed, fighting back tears.


“I have something else to give you before dinner, you’ll be able to use part of it tonight,” Justin said.


“JC, you said you had a gift for Mommy?” Barb remembered.


“I did.  I just want her to see it though.”


“He helped you guys make the sign for me, decorated the house a bit this morning.  I consider that a present.  More than enough given it’s only been a few days since we started talking to each other.


“Was there much talking?” Justin teased, the question going over the kids’ heads.


“Mommy and JC had something for work, he showed us around a school he found that we could use in the next couple years.  We went to lunch with Ms. Candace and talked about the school and things, and then got to talking in Mommy’s office later that day.  We apologized to each other for being upset at each other for so long,” Mikayla said, trying to explain and make Justin’s comment sting a little less.


“Kay, you wanna take a nap, or maybe a bath before we go to dinner?” Justin suggested.


“Might not be a bad idea, no,” she agreed.


“We’ll keep the kids occupied, make sure they don’t burn the house down.”


“Take some time for you, I’m sure it’s been a crazy last couple days,” JC said softly.  He was so glad he got to be back in her life, even if she was still married to one of his best friends.


She went upstairs, opening the sliding glass door leading onto their balcony, opening it just a crack to get some air and the sounds of the ocean.  She got onto her side of the bed, curling up and falling fast asleep.  


She woke up, feeling someone next to her, on both sides of her.  She opened her eyes, seeing Barb and Justin on one side, Joshy and JC on the other.  She must have been in a deep sleep to not notice that she was in the middle of the bed with the rest of them around her.  She smiled at hearing their quiet breathing, seeing their chests rise and fall with each breath; the twins looking like sweet angels in their sleep.  They were growing up too fast for her liking, looking more like actual people then little children.


She slowly and carefully extricated herself from the pile of bodies surrounding her, thankful that the twins were deep sleepers once they fell asleep.  She walked into the en suite bathroom, closing the door to get the bath started.


The sound of the water hid the sound of the door opening, Mikayla jumping when she felt hands on her waist.


“Just wanted to say thank you for everything.  I can’t imagine it’s been easy, giving me a second chance,” JC said lightly.


Mikayla noticed the door was mostly shut, pulling him into her arms for a kiss as the tub filled.  She lightly moaned at feeling his body against hers, finding herself needing him.


“Tonight, my love,” he whispered in her ear, placing a kiss on her cheek before he went back into the bedroom.


She got into the tub, filled with bubble bath and calming scents.  She took off her clothes, getting into the bath, letting the warm water and the scents envelope her, much like her time on the beach earlier in the morning. 

 

There was a window above the tub, the tub separate from the shower stall.  She smiled as she looked at the bench they’d had put in, remembering a steamy session with Justin that morning, curious if she’d have JC the same way that night. Is that why my skin is so fabulous? she wondered to herself. All the sex and washing involved?

 

She sank further into the tub, her hair up in a messy bun atop her head so it wouldn’t get wet. Her head was peeking out of the mass of bubbles filling the tub, turning at a soft knock on the door.


She saw Barb and Joshy peek in, their eyes still sleepy from their nap.  They were every bit of both their fathers, making Mikayla smile. 


“JC is gonna play with us in the backyard before we do a movie night while you and Daddy go to dinner,” Joshy said. 


“Will you be home in time for cake with us?” Barb asked. 


“I think Jackie is taking you home after the movie,” Justin said, stepping into the bathroom. “I’ll be home after dinner, I’m leaving Mommy here for an extra day by herself.  A little more time in her happy place.  Let’s let Mommy finish her bath and start getting ready.”  Justin ushered the twins out of the bathroom, pausing to look at her.


“I’ll be back in a bit with your outfit for tonight.”


“I wondered if you had something for me to wear,” she smiled. 


Mikayla finished her bath, wrapping herself in a towel and starting her post bath out shower routine. Justin came into the bedroom, starting to get dressed for dinner.  She heard him rustling with something before walking into the bathroom with a garment bag and a small brown bag, closing the bathroom door without a word.


Mikayla walked over, pulling down the zipper on the garment bag. A soft smile spread across her face. 


“Hello, old friend,” she said.  “Let’s see what else is supposed to go with this…”

 

She opened the brown bag, her eyes widening. “Well, hello new friend. I don’t know why he bought you for me and JC, but this will be fun…”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Any thoughts on what's in the bag?  Feedback is appreciated, as always.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story