Author's Chapter Notes:

5/26/23

“I’m glad you were able to come out again, even just the two of you,” Mikayla said.


“We wouldn’t miss this opportunity for the world.  Heather had to work, but I’ll FaceTime her.  Her dress is beautiful, fits like a glove,” Karen was practically glowing.


“Sorry we couldn’t get you on the same flight at any point, at least none that came up when I’d try to find flights.  I tried to make sure your flights came in around the same time though,” JC said as he drove.  


“Thank you for picking us up in Mikayla’s car.  I know your Jeep isn’t one of those where you can take the cover off, but it still makes me nervous," Karen said.


“I’m just taking you to the house, I’m not going anywhere near the dress shop to avoid any bad luck,” JC chuckled. 


“Can’t have any worse luck than we’ve already had,” Mikayla said. “We lost each other once, I’m not losing you again.”


“I’m still not tempting fate.”


“Fate brought us back together,” Mikayla replied softly, putting her hand on his. 


“Your mom and sister are meeting you at the house.  Are you excited?”


“It’s my birthday and I’m doing my final fitting for my dress.  Hell yes I’m excited!”


“We’re glad to be part of this,” Karen said.  “I still can’t believe this.”


“I didn’t get to go to any fittings for the Italy wedding, and the first one was so rushed, it’ll be nice to be part of this,” Lynn smiled. 


They talked all the way to Justin’s, JC punching in the code for the gate.  “Mom, I’ll take you home after dinner tonight.”


“Sounds good. It’ll be nice to get dressed up a little, distract myself,” Karen sighed. 


“Thank Tyler for taking Dad to treatments. I feel helpless doing nothing here.”


“You’re being a good father and getting ready for a wedding. He’s doing well, all things considered, and treatment will be over the week before the wedding. He is looking forward to being in Montana for the wedding.”


JC sighed, Mikayla squeezing his hand. “See you tonight for dinner, babe.”  She kissed his cheek before getting out of the car, Lynn and Karen getting out as JC went to park her car. 


Justin opened the front door.  “There’s my beautiful girl, and my wife, too,” Justin chuckled, looking at his mom before looking at Mikayla. 


“Flattery will get you nowhere, son.  Buttering me up on your wife’s birthday, shameful…” Lynn sighed, teasing her son. 


“I’m glad Paul is doing well enough that you can stay through Mother’s Day,” Justin said, pulling his mom into a hug. “I’ll grab your bags from the car.”


“I think Josh is on it, but thank you,” Karen said. “Good to see you again, Justin.”  Karen pulled him into a quick hug, patting his back. 


They walked into the house, Mikayla’s eyes welling as she saw the sight in the living room. 


“Erin, I can’t believe you’re here!” 


“I wouldn’t miss my best friend’s dress fitting for the world.  Thankfully I got a ride with your mom and sister.”


“Are we all going to fit in my car? We’ll have to take the car seats out…”


“I’ve got that handled,” Justin said. “You’ve got half an hour to freshen up or whatever.”


“I’d say I should check on things for work, but I know you’ll say no,” Mikayla said. 


“It’s your birthday, take a full day off, baby.  You deserve that much.”  She kissed his cheek before he turned to go down the hall. “I’ll be in the studio, but text if you need anything.  Love you. You ladies have fun.”


Soon enough, the doorbell chimed. They all headed to the front door, Mikayla opening the door. A man in a suit greeted them on the other side. “Your chariot awaits, ladies.”


They followed him to the driveway, a stretch black limo waiting. “You’re not supposed to have open alcohol in the vehicle, but if I don’t see it, it never happened,” he winked as he opened the door for them. 


They all got into the limo, seeing a bottle of champagne and plenty of glasses. “Alright ladies, you heard our driver.  This never happened,” Erin laughed as she popped the bottle of champagne. 


They drank as they rode to the dress shop, each of them getting about 2 small glasses worth to share among the 6 of them.  They soon arrived at their destination, Mikayla nervously excited to see it finished and see their faces of how it looked. 


“Welcome, I see you brought everybody for the big day,” the shopkeeper beamed, hugging Mikayla.  “Right this way.  I also hear it’s your birthday.  Hoping it’s a wonderful day for you.”


“This certainly helps,” Mikayla smiled.  “I’m ready when you are.”


“Right this way.”


They followed the woman into a seating area near mirrors, typical for every bridal shop.  A bottle of champagne and a bowl of strawberries waited on a small table in front of them.  The champagne was popped and poured as Mikayla got into the dressing room, ready to try on her dress for the final time before taking it with her that day.  She saw it as the woman unzipped the bag, an excitement washing over her at seeing it in person again.


“You really love this dress,” the woman smiled.


“I do.  I really do. I can’t wait for him to see it.”


She put on the dress, everything fitting perfectly. She loved how light it was, even though the dress was long.  It would be beautiful but also comfortable in early summer heat.  She wasn’t sure what the weather would be like in Montana.  For all she knew, it could be 100 degrees or they’d get a random flurry of snow.  All she knew was that she was going to marry one of the loves of her life in just over a month.


“Ready, ladies?” the woman called out to the group assembled.


“YES!” they shouted enthusiastically.


The door opened, Mikayla slowly stepping out.  Her friends and family gasped as she stepped out.


“You look beautiful,” Carolina sighed. 


“It’s simple but refined, elegant, and a little fun.  It’s you in every way,” Lynn smiled.


“Oh my, Josh’ll  love this,” Karen beamed.


“Josh?  Who’s Josh?  This isn’t for Justin?” the shopkeeper asked.


Everyone looked at each other in a panic.


“No, you misheard me.  I said ‘oh my GOSH, he’ll love this',” Karen said, trying to cover her tracks.  It seemed to please the shopkeeper, everyone heaving a collective sigh of relief.


“Are there lots of flowers in Montana?  Are the flowers on your dress going to blend in?” Miranda asked.


“I’ll be fine, based on where the ceremony will be.  I love this dress so much.  It’s not like the other one, very understated.  Perfect for a vow renewal.”


Erin handed Mikayla a glass of champagne. “To everlasting love, finding it and keeping it,” she said, raising her glass.  The rest of the girls raised their glass to Mikayla, trying to toast to her and JC without using his name.  The toast fit Justin as well, with how long he had loved her and never let go of the hope that they could be together.  


Mikayla smiled, quietly thinking about all she had been through, and how she was in this moment, getting ready to marry an incredible man, and renew her vows to a man just as loving and incredible.  Love like this was rare with one person, but to have two at the same time, she knew that was near impossible.



“Why is everyone dressing up?  Josh had his last birthday there and it was super casual…” Mikayla wondered.


“Because this is to celebrate YOU, my wife,” Justin smiled.  “We have the same area blocked off, so it’ll just be us.  I know it’s not a milestone number, but we still want to make you feel beautiful and loved.”


“Justin, it’s a Tuesday night.  This is all a bit much.”


“Nothing is too much for you, Kay.  I’m just sad nothing can happen tonight.”


“Really, nothing?  Not even after everyone has gone to bed?”


“I mean, it’d be just the two of us.  I’m ok with that, but I wasn’t sure how you’d feel, what you’d want.”


“I can come back after I drop mom off,” JC said, walking into the bedroom from the en-suite bathroom.  “Give me a little time to get her settled in.  Especially if I go right after dinner, that should be a decent time.  Jackie can take the kids tomorrow, I’m sure she’s assuming you’re getting some kind of action tonight, even if it’s just the two of you.”


“Am I spoiled if I expect sex on my birthday?” Mikayla giggled.


“Pretty sure that’s normal, but spoiled is how much you get beyond that,” Justin replied.  “Especially how we do it.”


“We.  I love how you’ve embraced this. A year ago, we were still figuring this all out.  Things had just started, and now we have a wedding in just over a month.  I hoped we’d make it this far, but also not expecting there to be a wedding involved.”


“I had no idea we’d be like this, either,” JC admitted. “I was still adjusting to the fact that I was a dad, to twins no less.  It was a lot to take in, but the moment I met them, that was it.  I’m in this for the long haul, wanting to be with Mikayla and the dad I never dreamed was even possible for me.”


“I was definitely hesitant at first, after realizing you weren’t leaving me.  But it’s worked out surprisingly well.  It hasn’t been without its ups and downs, but what relationship isn’t?”


“Still wearing that dress,” JC smiled, his eyes hinting a flicker of desire as he saw the emerald color on her.


“It’s one of my favorites, what can I say?” Mikayla replied.


Justin was in a gray dress shirt and black dress slacks, JC in a steel blue shirt and dark gray slacks. Justin smiled as she wore the necklace he had given her for Valentine’s Day, the heart with their birthstones.  He noticed a ring and bracelet on her right hand and arm, not recognizing them.


“How long have you had these?” Justin asked.


“They were from Josh for my birthday last year.  Nothing over the top, but I felt like wearing jewelry from my thoughtful and wonderful men.”


“It’s nice, I just didn’t recognize it.”


“I don’t wear it often, mainly on more dressy occasions.  I’ve worn them before and you never said anything.”


“I guess I didn’t notice. Usually too busy looking at your face and hair, or your dress.”


“Trying to imagine me naked?” Mikayla teased. 


“No need to, I’ve got it all up here.  It’s pretty much running on loop 24/7…” he said, tapping his temple.


“I’d say I don’t believe you, but I’m sure between the two of you that’s a quite accurate statement.”


The two men looked at each other, stupid grins on their faces. “Let’s head downstairs and get ready to go,” Justin said.


“I’ll sit in the back with the twins so you two are together with Silas. Everyone else will be in the Escalade, right?” JC wondered. 


“Yeah. I’m glad we have a whole section to ourselves, I’m realizing just how many of us there will be,” Mikayla replied. 


“You’re worth it,” Justin smiled, wrapping his arm around her waist.


They were all soon ready, Mikayla smiling at Jackie’s work of getting the twins dressed and ready. Barb was excited for an excuse to wear a fancy dress, spinning in circles until she was dizzy just to show off the twirl factor of her dress. 


“Easy there, baby girl,” Mikayla sighed, grabbing her daughter’s hand. “You look beautiful in that dress, I can tell how much you love it.”


Barb just smiled and giggled.  “Happy birthday, Mommy.”


“Thank you, baby,” Mikayla sighed, pulling Barb into her arms for a hug.


They got into the cars, Justin insisting they be driven so he could drink and celebrate her a bit.  That included sitting as close to her as possible in the car to wrap an arm around her and kiss her cheek or temple.  He wished it was adults only so he could really, truly kiss her, but he also knew she’d want the kids to be with her for her birthday.  


He’d have his chance later that night, and that realization made the thickness between his legs begin to twitch to life.  He rested his arm over the spot giving him trouble, trying to hide it from Mikayla, in turn hoping it would go away before everyone could see once they got to the restaurant.  He took advantage of Mikayla needing to look at Silas for a moment to adjust himself, so that even if this lasted through dinner, it would be less noticeable.


Mikayla was comfortable in Justin’s embrace in the car, JC extending a hand out to rest on her forearm, his index finger running along her arm.  They soon arrived at the restaurant, being led to their private section.  As large of a group as Mikayla had arrived with, she was surprised when she saw people sitting in their section already, familiar faces she hadn’t seen for a while.


“Happy birthday,” they called, Mikayla looking at Justin.


“JC helped, too,” Justin admitted.  “I know it’s a weeknight, but they didn't seem to mind coming out for your birthday.”


Mikayla walked over, hugging Lance and Michael, before greeting former coworkers and other friends.  She had a big smile on her face, JC and Justin standing, watching her, as everyone else got settled at the tables. 


“I’d say we did good,” JC chuckled, patting Justin on the back.

 

“Night’s not even over yet,” Justin smiled.

Chapter End Notes:

I'm writing the wedding chapter right now, this will be finished soon.  It's bittersweet for sure, thank you to everyone that's continued reading this far.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story