Chapter 8: December 24/25, 2008 | The Ghosts of Christmas Present

Next thing he knew, the clock was striking 2:00, and that’s when he heard someone whistling and rummaging out in the main room. The tune sounded so familiar, but he couldn't quite place it.

He carefully walked out to the room, and saw someone digging into the mini-bar.

"Excuse me- who are you and what are you doing? I’m not paying for all that," Justin said crossing his arms across his chest.

The ghosts stopped the whistling and rummaging, standing up, "Eh, not worth it- there’s no Gobbers!"

"Let me guess, you are going to take me to the present?" Justin rolled his eyes looking at the ghost.

"Nooo, I’m here just to raid the mini-bar, because I had a hankering for some Goobers," the ghost shot back before going back to whistling.

"Are you going to be a smart ass like the last one? And what annoying tune are you whistling?"

"Maybe, depends on if you’re going to be one. And the tune I was whistling is a certain Christmas song that you and Josh have a writing credit on."

"I don’t have a writing credit on any Christmas song…"

"Wow, Chris was right- you really do need some help. And I really hope I don't have to use this," the ghost said holding up a roll of duct tape. 

"What do you mean you hope you don't have to use it? And hey, I don't need that much help!"

Laughing, the ghost turned around and took Justin's hand into his.

Flashes of lights went flying by, they came to a stop in a dark hotel room. A light from the bathroom fell upon the older man sitting on the end of the bed talking on the phone.

"Andy, it's not like I can just leave. I need this job, it helps put food on the table, pays the bills and helps with Timmy." Joshua sighed laying back on his bed.

"JOSH! Damn it, who cares what Justin thinks. You haven't seen us in months and you were guaranteed a Christmas break. Timmy is getting thinner, not eating as much as he needs to, he sleeps all day long; he sleeps most of the night- and when he is awake he only asks for you. They’ve had to run more tests because he's still anemic, and they still don't know what's going on, even after three fucking years. You know I can't keep missing work, it's peak season right now for the resort- so working from home isn't the best thing, and I don't have anymore family leave time left. I can't keep asking my parents, or Mark to baby sit either, especially when he has the brewery to run. Plus I know you and you hate being a manager - you need to go back to producing, that's where you are the happiest," Andrea said all in one breath, and almost in tears.

"I want to be there-" Andrea cut him off.

"Then LEAVE! Damn it, he can't keep you from us on CHRISTMAS, just leave, get the next flight out of there and get home! Like the original plan," Andrea said, trying to get her voice down. "I was supposed to be picking you up at the airport right now."
Justin stood there watching his friend talk on the phone.

"They can't be hurting for money that bad, Josh still has a lot left over from our *NSYNC days. So don't why they're stressing out about it."

"Of course you wouldn't know, you don't care. You want everything your way and all focus on you. Timmy's medical bills cost over $100,000 for every visit even with insurance - that cost is only going to increase with more test and hospital visits. Plus like Josh told you before, he pays for YOUR crews travel expenses because you won't pay for it, even though you told the label you would pay for them."

"Yeah, well..." But before Justin could finish what he was going to say the ghost took Justin's hand into his and once again flashes of lights went flying by.

They came to a stop in a living room, Justin's living room at his home in Orlando. A Christmas tree was never put up, lights weren't even up around the house.

"What are we doing here?" Justin asked, walking around, running his hand over the leather couch.

Small cries were heard from the upstairs, Justin slowly walked up the stairs and into his bedroom. A girl with dirty blonde hair sat upon the bed, tears flowing from her eyes. Kirsten didn't want to stay at Andrea's on Christmas Eve. She missed her flight on purpose, she didn't want to be in the way.

"WHO THE HELL IS IN MY HOUSE!" Justin yelled walking the rest of the way in. Things started to hit him, the girl, he knew her. Pictures of them together were placed about the rooms, on the dresser, on the bedside table.

"You don't even know who she is. You say you love her.." the ghost stated, shaking his head.

Justin slowly walked over to where she sat, messing with the ring on her finger, mumbling to herself sitting by the phone, waiting for him to call her.

"I'm just hurting myself, I've waited far too long. I've wasted my life with him, 8-years is just too long to think I love him, and he can't even remember my name," tears came to her eyes again as she took off the ring and held it in her hands.
The ghost started to take Justin's hand.

"I do love you, Kirsten believe me." Justin said pulling away from the ghost, "I DON'T WANT TO GO! LET ME TALK TO HER! LET HER SEE ME!" Justin yelled.

The ghost started to rip some of the duct tape off the roll. "She can't see or hear you. So if you don't shut up, this tape is going over your mouth."

"Fine," Justin huffed. 

Without saying another word, the ghost once again took Justin's hand, lights went flashing by them, as they slowed to a stop.

A dark house, a tree was lit up in the living room, gas fireplace roaring, the outside lights were off, holiday music playing softly in the background.

Joshua's house was where they were. Andrea was sitting in the living room in the La-Z-Boy, crying, hurt, sad, and mad. She didn't know what to do with her son, with her husband.

Timmy came walking out of his bedroom; coming downstairs, holding tightly to his Snoopy, his auburn hair all messed up, his eyes gazed upon his mother sitting in the chair.

"Momma?" Timmy coughed out as he walked over to her.

"Hey, what are you doing out of bed! You need your rest!" Andrea said, taking him into a hug and pulling him up to sit on her lap.

"I heard you crying, is daddy coming home?" Timmy asked coughing once more.

Andrea didn't answer him, as she just rocked them both brushing her fingers thru Timmy's hair, as they watched the snowfall outside.

Justin looked at the state Timmy was in; he never knew he was that sick, or even getting sick. He looked like death was coming any day now. Only being 4, and turning 5 that very day.

Justin walked closer to Andrea and Timmy, bending down to squat he looked at them.

"I didn't know he was like this." Justin said as the ghost took his hand. "Does he die?"

"Not my department, but you should know how he is since you're his "uncle" and godfather! And the reason why Josh has been trying to get home. But, let’s go we don't have much more time." The ghost said as flashes of lights went flying by them, they were back in his hotel room.

'Just remember two things- greed and ignorance, those two will sneak up on you when you're not looking and can both be major killers," and with that the Ghosts of Christmas Present disappeared into the abyss.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story