July, 2045


Lisa was terribly exhausted. She tried to catch some sleep, but it seemed impossible finding some rest in the economy class. Her whole body was aching due to lack of space. She realized during that uncomfortable flight what a spoiled brat she was. 


Hours later she reached her destination, feeling completely overwhelmed. She never travelled alone before. It took a while until she found the train station. At least her mother taught her some German when she was little. It made things a little easier for her. 


Two hours later Lisa arrived in Dortmund. It was early evening by now. She found a taxi quickly and entered one free car.


„Wo geht es hin, junge Frau?“ the driver asked friendly. 


„Hier,“ Lisa answered and gave him a little note with the address. 


„Alles klar,“ the driver said and started the engine. 



Half our later Lisa exited the taxi. She looked at the old house in front of her for a short moment, before she went to the front door. Then she put a key out of her pocket and opened up. She put her shoes off and left her bag pack in the hall. Slowly she entered the living room and switched on the lights. Then she collapsed at the old green sofa.


The last time Lisa was at her grandparent’s house was long time ago. Eve and Josh took their kids just once to Germany when they were little, to show them where Eve grown up.


The house was very precious to the family, as Eve’s grand grand father build it with his own hands. Eve made a promise to Kristin, that she would never sell it to anyone. When Wilhelm and Kristin passed away, she continued taking care for the house from distance. Friends of the family and neighbors helped to keep it in shape. 


Lisa allowed herself closing her eyes for a moment. But she was too exhausted, too keep herself awake and drifted into a deep sleep within seconds. 



It was in the middle of the night in the meanwhile. Lisa was still asleep. Suddenly the front door got open. A young man entered the house, with a big spade in his hands. He saw light in the living room and went inside slowly. 


„Was zur Hölle…?“ he talked to himself, as he saw Lisa sleeping peacefully at the sofa. 


As the man realized, that he wasn’t in any danger, he put the spade aside. Then he came closer and knelt down in front of Lisa’s face. 


„Hey,“ he said to wake her up. 


But Lisa didn’t react. 


„Hey, wach auf!“ he said louder, while shaking her by her shoulder gently. 


Suddenly Lisa raised her eyes wide open. She deeply frightened seeing the stranger and started screaming.


„AHHHHHHHHHH!!!“


 The man raised himself and stepped away from her. 


„Bitte beruhige dich!“ he tried to calm her down.


„WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU???“ she yelled at him. 


He was surprised, that she was talking English. 


„My name is Tom. Tom Miller.“ 


Lisa stared at the man in pure disbelief.


„ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! TOM MILLER WAS MY MOM’S HUSBAND! HE DIED IN A CAR CRASH!“


„I know,“ Tom replied. „He was my uncle. I’m his brother’s son. My dad gave me his name in his honor."


Lisa relaxed slowly, sorting her mind.


„So, you are Eve Miller's daughter,“ Tom said next. „I’m sorry that I frightened you.“


What are you doing here?“ she wanted to know.  


„I believed you’re a burglar. The neighbors noticed light in the house and got concerned.“


Both looked at each other for a moment. Lisa was processing the fact, that she just met a younger version of Tom Miller.


„My mom never told me that Tom had a brother,“ she said next. 


„My dad lived abroad for many years. He wasn’t in touch with the family for a very long time. The situation was complicated. It may be the reason why your mom never mentioned him.“ 


"And why the neighbors called you to check on our house?“ Lisa asked next. 


„My grandmother Andrea, who’s your mom’s mother in law, has a key to your house. She’s cleaning here once in a while. But she's too old to deal with burglars. That's why she’ve sent me.“ 


Lisa got lost in thoughts for another moment. 


„I believe I remember your grandma. I met her once when I was little. Mom told me she was taking care for the house.“ 


Tom cracked a smile.


„See? Now everything makes sense.“ 


Lisa had further questions.


„I wonder why your grandma didn’t mention having grandson when we met.“


„My parents separated when I was a baby. I lived on the other side of the country with my mom and wasn’t in touch with my dad or his family. But as my mom died, I contacted my grandma.“


„I’m sorry to hear about your mom,“ Lisa said genuinely. 


She remembered the unbearable pain when she learned about her father’s death. 


„It’s okay. Don’t worry.“


„And your dad? Are you in touch?“ 


Tom shook his head.


„He died as well some time ago during a mission…“ 


Lisa was processing. 


„Does it mean, he was a soldier?“ 


„Yes.“


„Jesus… your grandma lost both of her sons… this must be cruel.“


Tom nodded. 


„But she was very happy when I decided moving to Dortmund and having me around. It helped her to make peace with the whole situation.“ 


„I see…“ 


Tom smiled at her.


„Hey, ummm… what’s your name?“ 


„I’m Lisa. Lisa Chasez.“ 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story