July, 2045


Lisa didn’t bring many clothes to Germany. That’s why she struggled what to wear for the dinner with Tom and his grandmother. Finally he chose an floaty light pink summer dress with white sandals. As she didn’t have a hair straightener, she put her wild curly hair into a loose ponytail. Usually she didn’t use much make-up, having a natural perfect taint and beautiful long lashes. With some peach lipstick and little bronzer on her cheeks her look was finished quickly.


As the doorbell rang, she hurried downstairs and opened up. Tom’s eyes begun to shine, seeing her in her girly outfit. She looked very natural, but fancy. He wondered how she was doing that. However he liked what he was looking at. 


„Hi,“ she said, smiling back. 


Tom changed into some less destroyed jeans and a white polo shirt. He only put some extra effort in his outfit, when he visited his grandma for dinner, knowing she liked when he dressed up a little. 


„You look pretty, L.A. girl,“ Tom complimented Lisa. „My grandma will be amazed.“ 


„Just your grandma?“ Lisa flirted unintentionally. 


Tom smiled harder.


„Not just my grandma,“ he replied genuinely. 


„Can we make a stop a florists? I would like to bring some flowers,“ she changed the subject. 


„Sure,“ Tom answered. „If you can manage holding the bouquet and yourself…“ 


Lisa frowned, not understanding what he was talking about. Tom was still smiling, pointing at his old Dutch bicycle standing in the driveway. 


Lisa chuckled, seeing the bike.


„Are you serious?“ 


„Ummm ya… that’s my ride,“ he said, scratching the back of his head. 


Lisa needed a moment to process. 


„Are you saying, you want me to sit at the carrier?“ 


„Is that a problem?“ 


„No, of course not,“ she immediately said, not wanting to insult him in any kind. „I’m sure it’s fun.“ 


Lisa left the house, closed the door and went with him to the bike. He held it straight, waiting for her to sit down. She wasn’t sure how to do it. 


„Really? You never did that before?“ he wondered. 


Lisa shook her head, somehow feeling embarrassed. He smiled again.


„Sit on one side, hold my waist and lift your legs a little bit,“ he explained. 


She did what he said. Tom made sure she was sitting save before hitting the road. Lisa giggled.


„Are you okay?“


„Yes, this is better than I thought,“ she replied, enjoying the unexpected experience. 



They bought some flowers at a local store and arrived at his grandmother’s place short time later. Tom parked his bike in front of the garage. Lisa stood up, smiling happily at him. 


„You’re good?“ he asked, smiling back. 


„Yes.“


Andrea already noticed them and opened the front door. 


„Jesus… is this really you, Lisa?“ she said in disbelief.


Both arrived at the front door. 


„Yes,“ Lisa replied. „It’s so good to see you again.“ 


„You didn’t lie, Tommy. She’s beautiful,“ Andrea continued talking. 


Lisa glanced at Tom, who was grinning sheepishly. Andrea pulled her into her arms. Both hugged each other closely. 


„These are for you,“ Lisa said next, handing over the bouquet. „Thank you for your invitation.“ 


„This is very thoughtful, my dear. Now come in, dinner is almost ready.“



Andrea prepared roast beef with smashed potatoes and red cabbage. While sitting together at the table and enjoying their meals with some red wine, Andrea was curious finding out why Lisa suddenly appeared all alone in Germany. 


„Tell me dear, what brings you to your mother’s home?“ 


Lisa took a sip of her wine and cleared her throat. She expected this question would come up at some point.


„Well, I just finished my studies and believed it would be a great idea to travel a little, before applying for a job.“ 


Tom knew she was lying. He remembered her small bag pack in the hallway, when he came to check the house. Traveling with such small baggage was a sure sign that she left spontaneously.


„Does it mean you’ll continue traveling soon?“ Andra asked. 


„Ummm… actually I didn’t make a strict plan so far,“ Lisa replied. 


Tom wondered what was the true reason for her leaving home. It came to his mind, that it might have something to do with a guy. But he didn’t want to push her to tell them the true story.  


Lisa decided changing the subject.


„Tom told me you’ve been a tailor,“ she said next.


„Yes, my dear. I’ve been having my own business for almost forty years. Unfortunately no one was interested having my firm, when I decided getting retired.“


„It’s a shame,“ Lisa replied, feeling pity.


„Yes, but Tommy told me you studied something similar… what is it called… fashion…?“ 


Lisa smiled. 


„Yes, I did.“


„Does it mean, you can sew?“ 


She nodded. 


„Mom taught me when I was little how to sew dresses for my dolls. I enjoyed it a lot creating own ideas. When I was older I begun buying high quality fashion on sale and sewing something completely new out of it.“


Andrea enjoyed listening to her. 


„You know, I’ve still my old sewing machine upstairs. And I also kept some beautiful fabrics. If you feel like doing some creative work in between, feel free to come here. It would be my pleasure having you around.“ 


Lisa’s eyes begun to shine. 


„Are you serious?“ 


„Of course, dear. I’m really excited, that we share the same passion.“



Tom enjoyed watching his grandmother chatting about her work with Lisa, even if they completely ignored his presence for hours. 


„Jesus, when did it get that late?“ Lisa said, checking her wristwatch.


She was tipsy from drinking several glasses of wine with Andrea. 


„I think it’s time for bed. The jetlag is still giving me a hard time,“ she added. 


„I understand, sweetheart. Go home and find some rest. And come back anytime you want,“ Andrea said calmly. 


Lisa smiled at Tom.


„Can you still drive, Mr. Miller?“ 


He chuckled.


„I just had one glass of wine,“ he replied. 


„Come on, Tommy. Take my car to bring the young lady home,“ Andrea said. 


„No, I insist taking his bike,“ Lisa giggled. 


Andrea shook her head. 


„That boy and his bike. He wants to save the planet, you must know.“ 


„But all cars drive electric nowadays,“ Lisa replied, still smiling at Tom.


„You better don’t start that conversation with him, sweetheart,“ Andrea warned her. 


Tom laughed. 


„Ya, you better don’t,“ he said. 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story