August, 2045


Silas left the taxi, looking at the old house in front of him. He was tired, as he didn’t sleep the whole flight, being nervous about what would expect him in Germany. He took a deep breath. Then he walked to the front door and rang the bell. His heart was beating out of control, while waiting. But no one opened up. He rang the bell again. 


„Entschuldigung?“ he suddenly heard a male voice yelling from the other street side.


Silas turned around, looking at an older man, standing next to his car in the driveway. 


„Sie ist nicht da,“ the man continued talking. 


„Excuse me. I’m not speaking German,“ Silas replied. 


The man nodded. Then he crossed the street, walking towards him.


„Lisa is visiting Andrea. It’s her birthday,“ the man said in English. 


„Andrea?“ 


The man nodded again. 


„She lives nearby. I can bring you, if you want. It’s on my way,“ he offered. 


Silas was surprised about the stranger’s kindness. 


„Um… ya… thank you. This would be nice.“ 


Both went to the other street side and entered the old man’s car. 


„Are you a relative?“ he wanted to know, as he started the engine. 


Silas smiled sheepishly.


„Um… not exactly… Lisa and I… we used to be together…“ 


The man looked at him surprised. 


„That pretty young lady was your girlfriend?“


Silas nodded. 


„Why you let her go?“ 


„I’m an idiot.“ 


The man laughed out loud. 


„It’s never too late making things right.“ 


„Let’s wait and see.“


They arrived at Andrea’s house short time later.


„Thanks for your help,“ Silas said politely. 


„You’re welcome. And, good luck.“ 


Silas cracked a smile, before leaving his car. Then he went towards the front door, smelling barbecue and hearing voices from distance. He noticed an open gate leading to the backyard. He was sure Andrea’s birthday party must take place outside and entered the property, instead ringing the door bell. 


Lisa was standing in front of the grill with barbecue tongs in her hand. Tom was standing next to her, giving instructions, while Andrea was having conversation with some friends at the outdoor table. 


„I am shocked you never grilled before,“ Tom teased. 


„I’m a spoiled American brat, remember?“ Lisa talked back. 


„Not anymore,“ he replied, smiling at her. „Now turn the steaks, before they burn down in flames.“ 


Lisa did what he said, carefully turning the meat. 


Andrea suddenly noticed a stranger entering her backyard.


„Who is this?“ one of her friends asked her curiously. 


Andrea’s intuition told her, the unexpected visitor didn’t come for her. 


„Lizzy darling…“ she said, ignoring her friend. „Do you expect someone?“ 


Lisa gave Andrea an irritated look. She was standing with her back to Silas and didn’t notice him, yet. In the next moment she turned around, seeing him from distance. Tom did the same, immediately realizing what was going on. 


Lisa stared at Silas in disbelief. He continued walking, hoping she would rush in his direction and fell around his neck. But it didn't happen. Instead she just continued staring at him. 


Silas’s excitement reached it’s peak. He stopped standing in front of Lisa, who was still holding the barbecue tongs. She looked at him, with no expression in her face. 


„Tinkerbell,“ he said shyly, being intimidated by her lack of emotion.


Tom and the rest of the party were curiously watching the scene. 


„What do you want?“ Lisa asked coldhearted. 


Silas was aware of, that she must be disappointed about how things turned out between them.


„You,“ he answered quietly, hoping it would awake any kind of emotion in her. 


But Lisa just gave him a dismissive look.


„Who do you think you are? Showing up like this and spoiling a private birthday party.“ 


Andrea suddenly felt pity with Silas. She stood up from the table and stopped standing next to him.


„What’s your name, young man?“ she asked politely. 


„My name is Silas. I’m sorry for disturbing the party Ma’am,“ he apologized. 


She smiled at him.


„You look exhausted. And hungry. Please sit and have some dinner with us.“ 


„Um… no… it’s not necessary…“ 


„I insist,“ Andrea interrupted hin. 


Silas looked at Lisa, who’s face was still frozen. Then he glanced at Tom, who was very obviously not amazed about his presence, as well. 


„Watch out with the steaks, darling,“ Andrea said to Lisa, before she grabbed Silas arm to escort him to the table. 


Lisa turned back to the grill and took care for the meat. 


„Which one of the brothers is he?“ Tom whispered.


„The one that I want,“ Lisa whispered back. 


„Then why you act like a bitch?“ 


„Because he doesn’t deserve better.“ 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story