September, 2040


„I’m happy things between us are good again. I really missed you in the last weeks.“


„I feel the same, V. I’m sorry that I didn’t try earlier makings things right. You’re still my best friend and nothing will ever change that,“ Lisa replied. 


Both met each other in a small cafe close to their school to clarify things, before first class. They didn’t talk much to each other lately. Lisa regretted, that she neglected their friendship since she was together with Silas. One reason why she barely talked to her friend was the fact, that she needed to keep quiet about her relationship. But now, as the summer break was over, she missed her friend badly.


„I know I shouldn’t have blame you for still having feelings for Silas. You can’t change what you feel and that’s okay. I wished I was a better friend, being more understanding,“ Violet said. 


„Please don’t worry about it. I know I overreacted, when I left you alone in the diner.“ 


Both girls smiled at each other. Violet grabbed Lisa’s hands and squeezed them. 


„It’s good to have you back, Lizzy.“



After finishing their coffees and chatting about the latest events in their lives, both made themselves on their way to school.


„What’s your first class?“ Violet wanted to know, as they entered the building.


„Math. It’s the worst way to start the day,“ Lisa complained. 


„I’m having biology,“ Violet cheered, truly looking forward it. 


Lisa rolled her eyes.


„You’re such a nerd.“ 


„Call me names, I don’t care. One day I’ll be an amazing doctor and you’ll be happy to have me in your life,“ Violet replied. 


„Depends which kind of doctor,“ Lisa teased. 


In the very next moment, Lisa suddenly felt terribly dizzy. She stopped walking and grabbed Violets arm. Violet looked at her concerned.


„Are you okay?“


Lisa’s knees turned into jelly. 


„I… I feel like passing out…“ she panted. 


Violet turned in her direction. Lisa was completely pale. 


„Good lord, Lizzy…“ she said in deep shock. „You… you’re bleeding!“ 


Lisa looked down her body, seeing blood running down her leg. In the next second she collapsed and fell into Violet’s arms.



Eve was sitting at her desk in the office, being focused on her latest project. Mateo just entered the room with two cups of coffee and put one at her table. 


„Thank you,“ Eve said, taking a sip. 


„You work too much,“ Mateo said, sitting down at his desk. 


„The day just started, Matty,“ she replied, her eyes still on the screen. 


„I mean you should’ve go to Orlando with Josh, instead being here. 


Eve looked at him.


„His brother is having a divorce party. Tell me one good reason why I should’ve go with him.“ 


„You could visit Lucy.“ 


„No, she’s out of town with Joey. They’re looking for a new house in Miami Beach.“ 


„Why Miami Beach?“ 


„Because it’s pretty there. Both wanna step back from work and spend more time with each other.“


Mateo gave her a stern look.


„Don’t you dare even thinking about doing the same one day. I won’t let you leave that firm, unless you die.“


Eve chuckled. 


„Don’t worry. I’m not planning to leave our baby.“ 


„Good.“ 


In the next moment Eve’s cell begun ringing. She picked up.


„Yes?“ 


„Auntie Eve… hi… something happened…“ Violet said in deep excitement. 


„What are you talking about?“


„It’s Lizzy… she… she passed out in school. We called for ambulance. They’re bringing her to the Sinai…“


Eve was shocked. 


„What exactly happened???“ 


 „I don’t know. She suddenly turned pale and collapsed.“ 


„Thank you for telling me, V. I’m on my way.“



Half hour later Eve arrived at the hospital. She rushed to the reception and asked for Lisa. A nurse made a quick call and informed her, that she was still in ER. Eve hurried to the waiting area, being incredibly tensed. She tried to call Josh when she was still in the car, but he didn’t pick up. Nervously she dialed his number again. But still, there was no response. 


Few minutes later a doctor appeared. 


„Mrs. Chasez?“ 


Eve jumped up from her chair and hurried in his direction. 


„Is my daughter okay?“ she asked excited. 


„Please don’t worry. The situation is under control. Let’s have a talk in my office.“


Eve was surprised hearing him say that. She followed the doctor in his office and sat down at his desk. 


„Lisa is still little dazed. We gave her some medication to ease her pain,“ the doctor started explaining. 


„What kind of pain?“ she asked concerned. 


„Mrs. Chasez,“ he said carefully, making a short pause. „Did you know that your daughter is pregnant?“ 


Eve stared at the doctor in pure disbelief. 


„Excuse me… what did you say…?“ 


„So, you didn’t know.“


„This must be a misunderstanding, doctor. She… she can’t be pregnant… she’s not seeing anyone…“ Eve stammered, hardly being able processing what she’ve just learned. 


The doctor gave her a moment to sort her mind. 


„I know this is a lot. But there is more.“


„More?“ 


The doctor nodded. 


„I am afraid she’s having a miscarriage. Her dizziness was caused by a sudden bleeding. The embryo is still there, but it’s just a matter of time.“ 


„Oh my god…“ 


„Look,“ the doctor continued talking. „I need to inform you, that there is a chance to save the embryo. We have new methods which allow us stopping the bleeding. But the question is, if you want us saving your daughter’s baby… or not…“


Eve stared at the man, being unable to answer his question. This was too much at once. The doctor noticed her struggle. 


„Before you make a decision, I suggest you talk to your daughter. But remember, the longer we wait, the smaller the chances are to save the embryo.“ 


Eve just nodded, still processing. The doctor stood up in the next moment to escort her into Lisa’s patient’s room. 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story