One week later. 


„She needs to eat.“ 


„I know, honey. You, too, by the way.“ 


Eve closed her eyes and took a deep breath.


„I feel sick all day and night, knowing my baby is not okay.“ 


„I understand. She’s my baby, as well. But we need to be strong to support her the best way we can. You really need to have a little breakfast, at least,“ Josh replied. 


Both were sitting at the kitchen counter, having coffee. Josh emptied his mug. Then he stood up and opened the fridge. He put some eggs outside and went to the stove. Eve raised her eyebrows. 


„What are you doing?“ 


„Scrambled eggs.“


She was considering, if she should give it a chance and see what happens or better stop him from destroying the kitchen. 


Josh was lost, not knowing where to find a pan.


„Um… where exactly…?“


Eve stood up from her stool, opened one cupboard and put out the pan.


„Honey, I love you with every cell of my body. But you suck in the kitchen and you know it. Why you believe you can make breakfast out of the blue?“ 


He gave her an outraged look.


„I made scrambled eggs before and I remember it wasn’t that bad.“


„Your memory sucks, as well.“ 


Josh came closer and put his arms around her waist. Then he kissed the top of her head softly. 


„I’ll never learn to cook, if you discourage me like this,“ he complained half seriously. 


She stood at her toes and kissed his lips. 


„You have other qualities.“


He gave her a dirty grin. 


„Are you hitting on me?“ 


„Josh… I really have other things in my mind going on right now and you know it.“ 


„Are you saying, as long as Silas is gone, I don’t wanna get sex?“ 


She gave him a stern look.


„This is not funny.“


„I absolutely agree to that fact.“ 


Eve released herself from him embrace and begun making scrambled eggs. 


„Si disappeared without a trace. Jess is completely devastated. And so is Justin.“


„I know, my love. I’m sorry for making jokes, but Si is an adult. Honestly, I understand, if he needs time on his own to clear his mind. I don’t believe something happened to him. He simply doesn’t want to be found right now."


Eve looked at him.


„Imagine this was Jake. You would be looking for him, as well, no matter, if he wanted to be found our not." 


„Of course, I would." 


Both heard the front door open up. Few seconds later Phin appeared in the kitchen.


„Hey,“ he said with sad voice.


„Hey,“ both replied. „How are things?“ Eve added.


„Unchanged,“ Phin answered, standing in front of them, with his hands in his pockets. 


There was silence between them for a short moment. All of them discussed the whole situation over and over again in the last days. There was nothing left to say.


„Um… I have no classes this morning, so I came to see Lizzy. I know I tried before and she dismissed me, but… I would like to try again." 


„Sure,“ Josh replied. „Maybe she’s already awake. You can go and check.“ 


Phin cracked a short smile and nodded. Then he left the kitchen and went upstairs. He knocked at Lisa’s bedroom door. There was no response. Carefully he opened the door. 


Lisa was lying in her bed. Her telly was the only light in her room. She was staring at the screen, not giving any attention to Phin. He came few steps closer, clearing his throat.


„Good morning, Lizzy…“ he said calmly.


„I don’t wanna talk to anyone,“ she replied, her eyes still on the screen.


„Um… that’s good. I don’t wanna talk, either.“


„Then why are you here, Phin?“ 


„To spend some time with you in one room.“ 


She looked at him with empty eyes. 


„This makes no sense.“


„Yes, it does. Both of us miss my brother. I wanna miss him together with you for a while.“


Lisa continued staring at him. It still made no sense to her what he’ve said, but she was to weak to start a fight. She turned away and focused on the screen again. Phin came closer and laid down next to her at her bed. She was watching a thriller series on Netflix, which he didn’t know, yet. 


„Can I have a little briefing, what this is about?“ he asked carefully. 


She gave him a stern look. 


„Shut up, Phin.“


He didn’t reply. Instead he made himself little more comfortable and begun watching the series. 


A short moment later Lisa turned in his direction. She moved her head closer and inhaled deeply. His scent reminded her of Silas’s. It wasn’t exactly the same, but there where definitely some similarities, which she didn’t notice before. She stared at him, processing the unexpected situation. 


Phin gave her an concerned look.


„Do I stink? I made a walk here… it’s brutally hot today… I got little sweaty…“ 


„You don’t stink,“ she replied, still looking at him.“


„Then what is it?“ he asked confused. 


Lisa didn’t answer. Instead she crawled into his arm and cuddled up to his chest. Then she closed her eyes and took another deep breath. Phin’s familiar smell gave her some inner peace. It was a little comfort, which she urgently needed right now, to deal with her emotional crisis. 

Phin absolutely didn’t see that coming. He wondered what suddenly happened to her, but didn’t dare asking. Instead he put his arm around her upper body and held her close.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story