Justin, Zenia and Grace all enjoyed their time in Montana and were sad to have to leave. Lynn had decided to stay a couple days longer, so she saw them off as they packed up and left the large house. Zenia and Lynn exchanged numbers with promises to call each other soon. 


They boarded the private plane early in the morning and arrived back in LA a couple hours later. Justin had his driver take them to Zenia’s first to drop her and Grace off. 

“I had so much fun, J. Thank you for taking us,” Zenia said as they piled out of the car with all of their belongings. Those belongings had since doubled thanks to Lynn’s shopping sprees with Grace. 

“It’s no problem, babe. I knew you both would have a blast. I have to say Mama really loves both of y’all,” He chuckled, leading the way up to Zenia’s apartment door. 

“She’s the best. Honestly, I didn’t know what to expect meeting her but she far exceeded what I ever thought,” Zenia admitted, pulling out her key to her apartment. 

She placed the key in the lock, but before turning it noticed the doorknob felt loose. She pushed the door open and to her surprise, it was unlocked. In fact, once the door was slightly ajar, she could see that the lock was broken. She gasped at what she saw next. Her entire apartment was trashed. She closed the door back quickly, shielding the scene from Grace in fear of scaring her. Justin stood speechless for a minute before thinking quickly and saying, “Hey Z, why don’t you take Gracie back to the car? We should get some lunch.”

“Huh? We aren’t going to put our bags away first?” Grace asked, confused by the sudden change of plans. 

“No, sweetheart. Justin wants to take us to lunch and then I think Grandma wants to see you. She told me she misses you,” Zenia replied whisking her away back to the car trying to hold back her true emotions. 

Justin pushed the door open and decided he was going to inspect the apartment himself. He wanted to make sure it was even safe for Zenia to come inside. He had a eerie feeling that Michael had done this and wouldn’t put it past him to still be in the apartment. He didn’t want Zenia to get hurt. After doing a walk through, he found no signs of Michael still being there but what he did discover was still just as bad. Zenia’s couch was ripped to shreds, her curtains torn, pictures broken and shards of glass all over the floor, broken dishes, damaged TV’s and appliances and the list goes on. His blood was boiling by the time Zenia returned after safely leaving Grace in the car with the driver. 

She immediately began to cry, unable to form actual words. Justin pulled her into his arms, rubbing his hands up and down her back soothingly trying to calm her. 

“I’m so sorry, baby,” He consoled. “I’m so sorry this has happened.”

“Why would anyone do this to me?” Zenia cried into his chest, her tears soaking his shirt. She knew from the moment she opened the door that Michael was the only one responsible for this. After his previous threats, she knew he was doing everything he could to scare her.

“I don’t know, baby. We’re going to figure this out, okay? Look at me,” He said causing her to lift her tear stained face up at him .

“You and Grace are going back to my house. You can’t stay here. It’s not safe.”

“I told Gracie she could go to my Mom’s.”

“Okay, then we will take her there today, then we will go file a police report and get this taken care of. But as far as where you’re living, it can’t be here,  Z.”

“Justin, I can’t. I can’t stay with you. I can’t be a burden to you,” she continued to cry. 

“Zenia, you are my girlfriend and I would do anything to make sure you and Grace are safe. You’re staying with me. You don’t have to move in but please until we get this taken care of, I want you with me. I need to make sure you and Gracie are safe.”

“You don’t have to protect me.”

“Yes, I do and I will,” He promised, kissing her full on the lips. 

Zenia sighed, knowing she wasn’t going to win this battle. She quickly wiped her tears, nodded her head and let him lead her back to the car.

— 

After a quick lunch, they pulled up to Zenia’s mother, Tanya's home. Grace was excited to see her grandmother. It had been over a week since she had seen her last.

Justin was suddenly nervous. He was getting ready to meet Zenia’s mother for the first time and not under the greatest circumstances. He could hardly believe what they had just saw at Zenia’s apartment. They both were able to keep a poker face around Grace, but Justin knew it was a matter of time before Zenia broke down again. 

His mind was racing thinking of what could have happened if Zenia and Grace didn’t go to Montana with him. He wanted to hunt down Michael and give him a piece of his mind, or his fist, but was trying his best to keep his anger at bay. 

Upon pulling up to Tanya’s house, she was standing on her front porch wondering who was pulling into her driveway. She smiled when she saw Zenia exit the car.

“Hey, mom.” Zenia nervously greeted her.

“Hi, Grandma!” Gracie exlaimed, running into her grandmother’s open arms. Justin hung back watching the introductions. 

“Well, isn’t this a pleasant surprise! Hi, Gracie bug.” Tanya replied. 

“Silly, Grandma. This isn’t a surprise! Mommy said that you wanted to see me,” Grace laughed, oblivious to the real reason they were here.

“Is that so?” Tanya looked at Zenia with questioning eyes. Justin noticed them exchange a look that seemed to be a unspoken understanding for Tanya to go along with whatever was being said.

“Of course I did, honey! I just missed you so much while you were gone! Why don’t you head inside and get comfy on the couch? There’s popcorn in the kitchen.” Tanya said, letting Grace inside the house. 

She turned back to Justin and Zenia. “You must be Justin. Actually, I know you are. I recognize you. It’s nice to finally meet you.”

“Nice to meet you, Mrs. Carter. Yes, I’m um, Justin.” Justin spoke nervously, extending his hand for a handshake and was quickly pulled in for a hug. 

“I’m a hugger. If you’re as wonderful as my daughter claims you are, then I’m sure you will be part of the family and in this family, we hug. Please, call me Tanya.”

“Yes ma’am.” Justin chuckled, his nerves dissipating some. 

Tanya turned to Zenia and after the surprise visit, and anxious behaviors that Zenia was exhibiting, her mother knew that something was up.

“What’s going on, Zen?”

Zenia’s lip trembled as she began to fill her mother in on everything. 

“When we got back, my apartment had been broken into and the entire place was trashed. Everything is destroyed. I’m not 100% sure, but I think it was Michael.”

“Michael? Why on earth would Michael do that?”

“He came to my apartment a couple weeks ago and threatened me. I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want to scare you. He threatened to take Grace from me if I didn’t stop seeing Justin.” Zenia cried .

“Like hell he will! Zenia, you should have told me. I swear if he ever lays a hand on you or Gracie..”

“Tanya, I won’t let that happen. I love your daughter and granddaughter and I wouldn’t let anything happen to them,” Justin spoke up.

Tanya pulled him in for another hug, “Please, promise me you will protect them. I don’t know what I would do if either of them got hurt.”

“I promise. They are going to stay with me until we get everything cleared up. I’m going to take Z to file a police report and if I have to, I will pay for all the apartment damages,” Justin promised.

“You have a good man, Zen.” Tanya said, then hugging her daughter tightly.

“I know, Mom,” Zenia sniffled. “Is it ok for Gracie to stay here a couple of days while I get this all sorted out?” 

“Of course. Keep me posted. I love you Zen.”

“Love you too, mom.” 

Justin and Zenia went inside to say their goodbyes to Grace, before heading off to the police station.


Hours later, Zenia and Justin pulled up to Justin’s home, both tired, mentally drained and still shaken up.

They had spent hours at the police station filing reports, and figuring out what other actions they could take to ensure their safety. Justin urged Zenia to get a restraining order so that Michael could not be anywhere near her or Grace. For some reason, Zenia didn't think that was necessary, convincing herself that Michael would never physically hurt them. Justin disagreed but didn’t push the issue and hoped that she was right. 

“Welcome to your new home for the next couple of weeks,” He said opening the door, pulling their luggage from the trip inside. “Or forever if you would stop being so stubborn.”

“Justin..” Zenia warned. “This is temporary, remember?”

“Sure Z.” Justin smirked, knowing that he was going to do everything in his power to convince her to stay even after all of the Michael stuff was taken care of. 

“I am so damn tired. What a crazy ass day,” She yawned. 

“I know. Me too. Let’s unpack tomorrow. Why don't we just head upstairs and get some rest?” He suggested. 

“I’d love that.”

Justin took her hand in his and led them upstairs to his bedroom. They both shed their clothing and climbed into bed, Justin pulling Zenia’s body close to his. 

They both were silent as they settled into bed preparing to fall asleep until Zenia spoke up, “J?

“Hmm?”

“This hurts so much.”

Justin loosened his grip on her, fearing he was hurting her. 

“No, not you. This situation. Everything I worked so hard for in that apartment is gone or destroyed. I worked so hard to make sure that I had a nice place for me and Grace. He destroyed it all. He’s trying to destroy me," She cried.

Justin pulled her body to his again. “'I'm sorry baby. Those things are just material. I know they cost you a lot, but they’re all replaceable. Your life is not. So, if he was going to destroy anything, I’d much rather it be material things.” 

Zenia turned her body until they were face to face, looking into his eyes in the dark room, hanging onto his every word.

“He will not destroy you. This is just a set back and we will get through this. Together. As long as you have me, you will never have to go through anything by yourself. Do you know that, Z?” He asked, wiping a stray tear from her cheek.

Zenia nodded, resting her head on his chest. He rubbed her back until he felt her drifting off to sleep.

Once she was asleep, Justin finally felt his strength slipping away. He remained strong all day for Zenia and Grace, when deep down he was scared too. He didn't know Zenia's ex, didn't know what he was capable of and up until today, had no reason to believe that they were in any danger.  He laid awake thinking over everything. He now had a responsibility to protect his girls.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love interracialj justin solojustin