Jenna continued the song, singing the chorus when she saw JC. His eyes widened, a smile spreading across his face as he saw her. He was wearing a white tee under his leather jacket, dark wash ripped jeans, and his rainbow checkered Vans. He was the definition of cool and casual.


This shit always happen to me 

Why can't we just play for keeps?

Practically on my knees 

But I know I shouldn't think about it

You know what you're doin' to me

You're singin' my songs in the streets, yeah, yeah

Actin' all innocent, please

When I know you out here thinkin' 'bout it


She made eye contact with JC as she went into the next pre chorus.


Then you realize she's right there 

And you're at home like, "Damn, she can't compare"


JC’s smile lessened as Jen walked up to him, almost like she was hurting him, grabbing his arm. He wrapped his arm around Jen, giving her a kiss, Jenna watching everything unfold before her.


She finished the song, the crowd cheering for her. She saw someone grab JC’s attention, Jenna walking back to her table.


“You think that’s funny?” Jenna heard someone say. Jenna looked up, seeing Jen in front of her.  “Pretty shitty song choice given I know you and JC…”


“Are just friends.  I’m a fan, sure, and I’m thankful he saved my life, but that’s it. I actually LIKE the two of you together. I think you’re great together and would never want to split you up. I picked the song because it was fun and had an *NSYNC song within it without having to pick an *NSYNC song to sing.  There’s nothing between JC and me.”


Kelly kept quiet, not wanting to provoke Jen further. The look on Jen’s face went from angry to regret, knowing she had overstepped.


“Hey,” JC said as he walked over. “Great song. Did I miss anything?”


“Jen and I were just getting acquainted,” Jenna said calmly.


“Great,” JC smiled.


They sat down with Jenna and Kelly, Jenna feeling very nervous and on edge. They began talking, but the women tried to not let the tension between them become noticeable.


Kelly decided to push Jen’s buttons a little.  “So, what have you been doing while JC is watching Friends with Jenna the last couple weeks?”


“Catching up on work stuff, watching TV.  I’m glad they’re able to hang out, being friends and all,” she lied, having no idea they’d been spending so much time together.


They soon moved across the street to Heart, Jenna excited to get to dance and cut loose. While she’d done karaoke, it had been years since she’d been to a proper club, even years before COVID.


Lance of course had to take photos with them all, JC wanting Jenna in some of the pictures.  They soon went up to the VIP area, Kelly getting Jenna another drink.


“Jen was such a bitch to you earlier, what the hell?  It’s like she didn’t know you were still hanging out…” Kelly said, watching JC and Jen dance together, Jen pulling JC into a heated kiss.  


Jenna watched, feeling torn between seeing him happy with Jen, but also wishing it was her.


They danced, when Jenna heard a familiar intro. “It’s the new Justin song with Romeo Santos!”


“Pretty sure it’s the other way around, but sure,” Kelly said.


Jenna felt something brush her arm. She turned to see JC in front of her.  “Dance with me? Just once?”


Jenna silently nodded, hoping no one would notice that he was dancing with her. She tried to not look at him, like she wasn’t having feelings stronger than a teenage fangirl crush.


“You look great,” he smiled, pulling her chin up to look into her eyes.  The world could have ended right then and there, one of the happiest moments of her life.  


His hands rested on her hips, admittedly a little firmer against her than he should have.  She didn’t care, no longer fighting his attention, enjoying that he was looking intently at her.  Under different circumstances, this would have been the point in a rom-com where they kiss on the dance floor.   She knew that wasn’t going to happen. She smiled, dancing with JC while listening to Justin, JC either unaware or indifferent to who was singing.


The song ended, Jenna not wanting to leave his arms.  She reluctantly pulled back, both of them joining their group for the night. Jenna was glad to be included in their circle, having felt on the outside even with her friends for so long.


“Jenna, officially meet Michael,” Lance said, walking up with Michael. 


“So YOU’RE the famous Jenna!”


“Guilty as charged.  It’s nice to meet you in person, I join your lives on Instagram when I can. You’ve responded to some of my comments before…”


“You sound like you’re as big a fan of me as you are of these guys…”


“I mean, kinda…” Jenna gushed.  “I wanted to get you guys something for the twins, but I had no idea how to get it to you.  I guess I don’t have that excuse anymore…”


“You better bring something good,” Michael joked.  


“Only Target’s finest…” Jenna laughed.


Jenna and Michael started talking as she noticed JC and Jen getting cozy.  That nervous ball in the pit of her stomach felt like it was getting bigger.


“You’re still in shock this is all happening, aren’t you?” Michael asked.


“Kinda, yeah.  I mean, I’ve had JC in my apartment, in my bed,” she let slip.


“Girl, spill…” he said, his eyes wide.


“The night of his birthday.  He was supposed to go with Jen to something, probably dinner with Eric, and he took off…”


“Yeah, I remember Lance being freaked out.  He called you, didn't he?”


“Lance did, yeah.  Justin was the one that found him, still not sure where.  He talked JC into talking to me about things, and he showed up to my apartment.  We talked for a bit, then watched some TV.  I fell asleep on the couch, so did he, then he said he’d stay with me until I fell asleep.  I woke up the next morning and JC was in my bed.  Well, ON my bed, he slept over the covers.”


“Ok, if it were me and Lance, and you were a guy, I’d never let Lance near you again.  How Jen is being so cool about this right now is beyond me.”


“Yeah.  I mean, I never meant for it to happen, I never meant for ANY of this to happen.  I had no idea the man that saved my life would be JC, and that I’d be spending hours watching TV with him the last couple Fridays.  It’s been less than a month since my accident and it’s just, I’m still adjusting to it all.  I’ve always been like ‘I love you and Jen together’ and stuff, making sure he’s telling her, so I guess she's ok with all of it.”


“You know he’s telling her?” Michael asked.


“Why would he keep it from her?  I saw him text her the first time, I can’t imagine why he’d keep this from her.  We’re just friends, we both have made that clear, as much as it hurt hearing him say it the way he did.  I have no intention of breaking them up, and I’m totally not his type anyway.”


“If a smoking hottie isn’t his type, then maybe he’s playing for the wrong team…”


“I’m not Jen, or Kathryn, or Eva.  He has a type, and I’m none of those things.  I’m taller, red hair, blue eyes.  Not at all what anyone would expect him to be into.”


“This again?” Kelly sighed, rolling her eyes.  “You are rocking this outfit and really gonna say you aren’t hot?”


“I’m not saying that, I’m just not JC’s idea of hot.  Not that I even want to be…”


“That’s a lie,” Kelly said, looking at Michael.  Michael had a smirk on his face.


“What’s that look for?  Michael, no…  Whatever you’re thinking, just… no.”


“You like him,” Michael nudged. 


“Shut up, he’ll hear you!”


“It’s a loud nightclub, he won’t hear me…”


“It doesn’t matter. I’m not his type, he doesn’t see me that way.  Drop it. I’m not gonna get my hopes up and then be heartbroken when nothing happens. I mean, I’m sure he and Jen won’t get married, that’s not his thing, but it’s not like there’s trouble in paradise.  Not the way they look at each other.”  She turned to look at him, kissing Jen deeply as he held her against him.  “There’s no way they’d do that in public if anything was wrong.”


“You’re kidding, right? You pretend in front of people.  Has he said anything to Lance about any problems?” Kelly asked Michael.


“No, they’re great…”


“Not helping, Michael,” Kelly huffed. 


“Just being honest.  Enjoy the rest of your night, we’ll hang out throughout the night, I promise.”


The girls danced the night away, the bar announcing the last call.  They sat in a private area with JC, Jen, Lance, and Michael.  Softer music was playing as the club had cleared, just them and staff cleaning up to fully close the club.


“I’ve never stayed at a club after last call,” Jenna said.  “Karaoke was different, and I was at a pub when it closed, but I always had to leave, never getting to stay like this.”


Jen got up to go to the bathroom, the group still talking. The song changed, no one really noticed. 


“JC,” Michael started, “Dance with Jenna.  Then we can all go home.”


“Shall we?” JC asked, looking at Jenna.  He stood, pulling her up from her seat and a couple steps away from their table. He held her close, the smell of his cologne filling her senses. He was warm, inviting, and safe.


In that moment, he tilted her chin up, looking into her eyes.  She couldn’t help but hear the lyrics of the song, wishing for them to come true.


And I want to walk with you

On a cloudy day

In fields where the yellow grass grows knee-high

So won't you try to come


Come away with me and we'll kiss

On a mountaintop

Come away with me

And I'll never stop loving you


And I want to wake up with the rain

Falling on a tin roof

While I'm safe there in your arms

So all I ask is for you

To come away with me in the night

Come away with me


No one had looked at her the way JC was.  There was such a softness to him, his eyes bright but soft. If she didn’t know any better, she’d think he was in love with her.  She’d been wrong before. THIS was the moment where the rom-com couple would kiss.  A quiet, perfect moment.

 

And Jen saw all of it as she stepped out of the bathroom and back to their table.  Her heart broke and anger bubbled inside her.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story