Author's Chapter Notes:

7/5/23

She walked into the house, nervous about what would come next. Would it be gentle, or an all out, no holds barred release of the tension that had built between them? Her legs clenched at the idea of his hands all over her, a fantasy come true in the best way possible.


She walked into the kitchen, looking around. It was pretty empty, signs that Jen had done any cooking for the two of them.  She didn’t mind cooking, especially knowing JC was admittedly a terrible cook, at least back in the day.


“Guess I gotta get new stuff,” JC said, looking around, running his hand through his hair.


“Eventually.  For now you’re at my place. I don’t want to rush things, but when…”


“I’ll stay as long as I’m needed there.”


“You’re my boyfriend now, I’ll always want you, need you with me,” she said, pulling him closer to her.


“Yeah?” he grinned.  She nodded silently, biting her lower lip. 


“Feel free to look around, I’m gonna check on Bronson’s food and water before I do some shopping tomorrow while you’re at work.”


She migrated from the kitchen and into the study, where his grand piano was. She walked up to it. She ran her hand over the keys, finding she could not resist. She sat down on the bench and stretched out her fingers over the keys. Jenna began to play, closing her eyes and she started singing.


Been a long time since I came around,

Been a long time , but I’m back in town 

And this time I’m not leaving without you. 


You taste like whiskey when you kiss me oh

I’d give anything again to be your baby doll

This time I’m not leaving without you. 


He said sit right down where you belong.

In the corner of my bar with your high heels on.

Sit back down on the couch where we 

Made love the first time 

And you said to me.


Somethin, something about this place. 

Something about lonely nights and my lipstick on your face. 

Something , something about my cool Nebraska Guy.

Something about baby You and I


He heard the piano from upstairs, and followed her voice into the study. He stood in the doorway, mesmerized by her presence at  his piano. He had no idea she could play so well, as well as sing at the same time. 


It's been two years since I let you go.

I couldn’t listen to a joke or rock and roll

Muscle cars drove a truck right through my heart.


On my Birthday you sang me a heart of gold

With a guitar hummin and no clothes. 


This time I’m not leaving without you.


She wound down the song with a flourish, where her fingers slid across the keys of the old piano.



“Please don’t stop on my account. That was amazing. Play something else,” he said, walking into the room and sitting down on the bench next to her. 



She began to play again, looking like she was one with the piano and started to sing again.



Listen

To the song here in my heart.

A melody I start but can’t complete


Listen

To the sound from deep within

It’s only beginning to find release


Oh the time has come for my dreams to be heard

They will not be pushed aside and turned

Into your own, all cause you won’t


Listen


Listen 


I am alone at a crossroads

I’m not at home in my own home

And I’ve tried and tried to say 

What's on my mind

You should have known

Now I’m done believing you

You don’t know what I’m feeling

 I’m more than what you’ve made of me

I followed the voice you gave to me

But , Now I’ve gotta find my own


She stopped playing abruptly. She looked up at him, tears stung her eyes.


“Why did you stop?”  He asked,


“The last time I sang this song was to Steve at karaoke.  He said I needed to stop doing that. I needed to save that for people who are really talented,” she said, her sadness evident in her voice. 


His heart broke for her. This shit still affected her 10 years after the fact. 


“Look at me.”  he said, and she did. 


“You are not the same girl you were when you were with him. “


“No. But, sometimes….”


“No.  You have power over that asshole. Not the other way around. Jenna.  Show him.” 


She closed her eyes and began to play again, strains of a song he hadn’t heard in years. 



Ain't no way

For me to love you

If you won't let me.

It aint no way

For me to give you  all you need


If you won’t let me

Give all of me


I know that a woman’s duty is to

Help and love a man

And that;s the way it was planned.



Oh, but how can I 

How can I

How can I

Give you all the things I can

If you're tying both of my hands.


She stopped playing , and looked at him. He sat there stunned. “Like that?"


“Yes. Exactly like that,” he grinned, leaning in for a kiss.


After coming up for air, he pulled her up off the bench.  “Come with me,” he said, taking her hand and leading her down stairs to the basement , where the studio was. 


He opened the door, and it took her breath away. 


“This is beautiful, Josh.”


“Go on. Go in the booth.  Put the headset on. “


She did as he asked. 


He sat in his chair at the control panel. And turned on the mics. “Can you hear me?” He asked. 


She shook her head yes. "What are you doing?”


“What I do best. I’m gonna put your voice to music,“ he grinned back at her. 


“ Josh….”


“ Just go with it.  If you can do it at a piano, then you can do this for me," he said, looking for the right track on his laptop. 


“Ok. I found it. Please sing this one, for me.” 


She blushed, and said, "You know I’d do anything for you. “ 


Music she was familiar with came through the headset. He had heard her singing in the shower. This was her go to song. She closed her eyes and sang to him.


That Arizona sky

Burning in your eyes


You look at me and babe I want to catch on fire.


It's buried in my soul, like California gold. 

You found a light in me that I couldn’t find. 


So when I’m all choked up

And I can’t find the words.


Everytime we say goodbye, baby it hurts. 


When the sun goes down and the band won't play.


I’ll always remember us this way.


Lovers in the night

Poets tryin to write

We don’t know how to rhyme 

But damn we tried.


But all I really know

You’re where I want to go.

The part of me that’s you 

Will never die. 


So when I’m all choked up

And I can’t find the words.

Everytime we say goodbye

Baby it hurts.

When the sun goes down and the band won't play.


I'll always remember us this way.


He stopped recording, walking into the booth.  He pulled her into his arms.  “You were a natural. Truly.  Incredible. Don’t let Justin hear you, he’ll steal you away from me to have you open for his next tour.”


“Whenever THAT is.”


“Sooner than you think.  If we were putting that on an album, you wouldn’t need another take.  It was perfect.  That’s really rare. Trust me, I know.”


“I trust you, Josh.  With so many things.”


Their faces were so close, practically breathing each other’s air.  He tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear.  She closed her eyes, waiting for his next move.


He kissed her gently, cupping her cheek.  She hummed, melting into his arms.  She felt his arousal pressed against her, ready for what came next.


“I’d love to record more with you sometime,” he said, all the romance in the air falling like a lead balloon.


“Yeah, that sounds good,” she smiled, trying to not be hurt.


“Let’s get you home. You’ve got work tomorrow.”


Her heart sank, feeling more like his friend than his girlfriend.  They walked back to the car, petting Bronson on their way out.


“He doesn’t mind you not being here at night?” Jenna wondered.


“I’m here with him while you’re at work, I was here earlier while you were getting ready.”


The car ride to her apartment was quiet, JC continuing her playlist.  She sang along, but not as enthusiastic as she had before.


They got back to the apartment, Jenna going straight to her bedroom.  JC stood in the doorway, watching her undress.


“Perfect, you’re absolutely perfect,” he sighed. 


“Doesn’t feel like it,” she replied.


“Hey, what’s this about?” he wondered, pulling her into his arms. Jenna’s face reddened at realizing she was in her bra and panties.


“I thought... I guess I assumed... When you said you wanted to show me where the magic happened... that we would...”


“Have sex?” he chuckled. “I’m sorry I said it like that. I really wanted to show you my studio, and then you found my piano, and it went perfectly.  No, I know you have work tomorrow. If we WERE going to do that, I’d make sure we had all night.  I think you know how much I want you right now.”


“Pretty obvious, yeah,” she smiled.


“I want to take things slow.  That being said, we could fool around a little.”


“Just a little?” she giggled. 


“Not keeping my woman up on a school night.”


“Well, if I’d known that was an option I’d have skipped dinner..”


“Not an option, yet.  Believe me, I’m kicking myself right now.  Let me at least dress to match and I’ll meet you in bed?  That sounded wrong..”


“Can I watch?” she smiled.


“Always, mama…”


His eyes shifted in hue as he held eye contact with her as he took his shirt and jeans off.  He walked to “his” side of the bed, getting under the covers as Jenna did on the other side.


“I feel so stupid, not sure where to start.  I mean, I’ve kissed you, but doing more than that?  I feel awkward,” Jenna said.


“Then let me lead,” JC smiled at her.  He pulled her into his arms, his lips kissing her deeply from the start.


He didn’t want to rush things.  As it was, it was almost 10, knowing she needed to be up early the next day.  His fingers wove into her hair, holding them in a passionate kiss.  She felt him pull herself closer to him, her hands against his back and shoulders.  His hands roamed her body, feeling the softness and warmth of her skin.  


“Oh god… Josh…”


“Jenna, how do you feel this good?”


“This is perfect.”


“You don’t want more?” he asked, surprised.


“It’ll come when it’s meant to.  To feel you holding me, skin to skin, it’s intimate without actually having to move too fast.  I mean, I don’t put out on the first date,” she teased.


“You’re worth waiting for, Jenna.  Never forget that.”  He paused.  “There was something I wanted to say earlier, I’ve wanted to say it all evening, I just kept waiting for the right moment.”


“I think I know, at least I hope I do,” she says nervously.


“I know it feels fast, but I’m in love with you, Jenna. I love you so much.”


She smiled. “I love you too, Josh.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Might not have been the first she thought she'd get, but any first is amazing.

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story