They were a couple episodes into a Friends binge when Jenna grabbed her phone, taking a picture of the pizza on the coffee table, Jenna’s glass of sweet tea, and the TV on in the background, sending it to JC.


Thanks for the pizza.  Perfect after a day like today.


Glad I could help.  What’s on in the background?


Friends.


Never seen it.


Jenna almost choked.  What?!  It’s been off the air for years, in syndication on major networks even before it went off the air.  Maybe that’s what you can do, we can watch Friends together so you aren’t an uncultured swine…


I’m not big into sitcoms.  I’m more of a drama, thriller, horror type guy.  I mean, I like a good comedy, but TV shows aren’t my thing, they're over too quickly.


Each episode has it’s own problem, sure, but there’s the overarching storylines woven through the season, through the series.  The pull of the ‘will they/won’t they’...


I’ll look into it.  But the pizza’s good? I had to look up where the pizza place is, where your apartment is.  You’re kinda far out there…  Almost the other end of Wilshire from where I found you.


Just cuz you live up in the hills…  And it’s LA, everywhere takes at least 30 minutes to get to, if not longer…  Thank you for the pizza, but thank you much more for earlier today.  Words can’t express what you did.


I’d say anyone could have done it, but let’s be real… people suck.


I like to be the optimist, give people a chance.  Some people are just garbage, but usually put their best face forward to make a good impression.  I should let you go, I’m sure Jen would like your attention.  You guys are great together.


She says she hopes you feel better, I told her everything when I got home.  I still say it wasn’t that big a thing, just doing the right thing.


Honestly, I could’ve died if you’d just left me.  I know it’s LA, someone would’ve gotten curious, maybe the business owners would have called… But you called 911, then stuck around the hospital to make sure I was ok, pretending to be my boyfriend just to check up on me.


Yeah, didn’t tell Jen that part.  


This is group chat worthy.  You saved someone’s life, and she happened to be a fan.  I mean, I haven’t even told my roommate, so it’s not like it’ll make the papers. Not like when you saved that baby on the beach from that rogue umbrella. See, more being in the right place at the right time.  Admit it, you stopped doing *NSYNC to focus on your superhero career…


If only. 


Well, you’re my superhero, take that for what it’s worth.


Have a good night, Jenna. 


Have a good night, JC.  Someday I’ll learn your alter ego. 


JC is my alter ego. I’m really just Josh, a normal guy that found out he’s really good at a lot of things.


Maybe so. Either way, I owe you my life.  Good night.


JC closed his chat with Jenna, opening another open chat. 


So, I saved a woman’s life today…


Lance: Wait, what?


I was driving down Wilshire and this car ahead of me runs off the road. I pull over, call 911, follow the ambulance to the hospital to make sure she’s ok.


Chris: I’d ask if she’s hot, but you have Jen, that’s not your motivation.


She was unconscious, I knew I had to do something…


Justin: You did the right thing.


I told the doctors I was her boyfriend so I could see her


Joey: Ok, shit just went sideways…


Chris: couldn’t have said you were her brother?


She has red hair, so no…


Joey: You’ve never had a redhead. They’re fun…


Lance: They’re not toys you play with, asshole…


Joey: I know that… but still fun.


Fuck, I knew this would happen…


Another text thread updated. Proud of you, C.  Don’t let Joey fuck this up. You helped someone today, made a difference. 


T, she’s a fan.


Of course she is. 


Told me things came full circle. She tried killing herself when she was 16, back in the day, but one of our songs stopped her.  She told me at least this time I actively saved her life. 


Damn… 


I gave her my number. We’ve been texting. 


Careful, C…


I am.  She’s not like that, I can tell. I offered to drive her to things, since she can’t drive for a while and her roommate works long hours, she barely let me buy her pizza tonight.


Like a date?


Like delivery to her apartment…


Is she some spoiled LA girl?


She’s an unemployed teacher running on fumes. All the stress she’s under triggered a seizure. 


Oh shit…


Yeah. I guess that’s why I wanna help her. I offered to buy her a car, T…


For real?!


I felt like she needed something…


You know what Joey would suggest in the group chat…


Yeah, some sleazy sex reference. Have I told you lately I love how grown up our friendship is? I’ve known you since you were 12 but you can act like an adult around me…


Some of us are more mature than Fatone…


More like ALL of us…


Chris has his days…


His phone buzzed, another text coming through.


Are you ok after what you saw today?


JC sighed. I’m fine, Lance. I was nervous and worried for a while, afraid she died.  But once I saw her, I knew she was ok…


Just making sure you don’t need to bring this up to your therapist.


I never should have told you guys I’m in therapy…


Hey, everyone needs it at some point. 


Can I have them bill Chris and Joey instead of me? Half the shit they pulled is why I need therapy…


I can think of others that should pay it more.


Yeah, but that’ll never happen. I’m in a good place. Things are great with Jen, I’m working outside the spotlight…


And saved a woman’s life. Ride that high as long as it lasts, buddy.  You did the right thing. 


JC put his phone away, his mind still thinking of Jenna. He wished he could help her more. He knew people, but that was in the entertainment industry, he had no connections in education to get her something. He wondered if she had other skills she could turn into a job, curious if Jen’s work had any openings.  Lance already had a nanny, so that wasn’t really an option.  


He picked up his phone again. Hey, any chance you can look into if Si’s school is hiring?


You looking to change careers, buddy?


For Jenna, the woman from today. She’s a teacher, between jobs right now. 


I’ll look into it, sure.  Doing an awful lot for a random stranger…


She could’ve died, T.  Her doctor says she needs to keep her stress down so she doesn’t have another one.


You saw her doctor?


He talked to me before I saw her in the ER. Pretended to be her boyfriend, remember?


Doesn’t mean you have to take that on though, C.


Someone has to, to make sure she’s ok.


Just be careful.


I will. It’s nothing like that. Things are good right now. 


Good, not great?


You know what I mean.


Night, C. 


Night, T.


JC looked at Jen, curled up beside him on the couch. “You know of any temp agencies or anything? Or is there an opening somewhere at your work? I’m wracking my brain trying to figure out something for Jenna…”


“She’ll be fine, Josh. I love how caring you are, though.  My man saved someone’s life today. My personal superhero. Makes me feel like Lois Lane.”


“Does that make me Superman? Just don’t tell Joey…” JC laughed. 

 

Jen got up from the couch, grabbing JC’s hand.  “Superman may be faster than a speeding bullet, but what I have in mind will take hours…”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story