She unlocked her phone, texting JC as she waited for the plane to clear out in front of her.


Go to baggage claim.  I know you brought a carryon, but trust me.


She was curious, wondering if Chris happened to land around the same time as her and JC had arranged for him to meet her there at the baggage claim.  She saw no flights coming in from Tennessee, but did see a man with a sign with her name on it.


“Ummm, I guess you’re looking for me?” Jenna said, approaching the man.


“I’ll be taking you to the casino.  Follow me, miss.”


She followed the man outside to a waiting sedan with blacked out rear windows.  She got into the car, her bag in the seat beside her. The driver got into the car, turning on the engine.  She smiled when *NSYNC began to play.  “He thought you’d like this…”


“Who thought I’d like this?” she asked. “Josh? JC?” she said, knowing he likely wouldn’t use his official name, probably hasn’t for years on anything but official documents.  The driver was silent. “Chris? Did Chris set this up?”


“My instructions were to pick you up and take you to the casino. Settle in, it’s roughly an hour drive…”


“We’re not IN San Francisco, are we?” she asked, disappointed. 


“Not yet, miss. I can take the scenic route if you’d like, see some sights. It’ll take longer, though. I’ve been instructed to do whatever you wish.  The most direct route takes us along a good stretch while making good time.”


“Will I get to see the Golden Gate Bridge?”


“Better, you’ll drive right over it.”


Her heart leapt in her chest, she practically squealed. Another dream coming to life. If only she could have driven herself, her license was still temporarily revoked.


“Can we stop at a fast food place in the city? I had a little snack before my flight, enough to calm my stomach and nerves, then the snack on the flight.”


“There’s a Jack in the Box close to Golden Gate Park. I’ll detour for fries, maybe a milkshake?”


“Josh definitely set this up,” she laughed to herself. “It’s already dark, will I see the bridge very well?”


“Yes, miss. She’ll take your breath away,” he said with a smile. 


She relaxed more into the seat as he drove, soon getting off the freeway, more like it coming to an end, leading onto a main drag. Tiny two story homes stacked up like dominoes on each block, the garage on the first floor, stairs leading to the front door above. 


There was a shopping mall off to the left, otherwise it was mostly residential with a few businesses on it near the intersections. 


The ride was slow going, what felt like miles of light after light, feeling a bit like home. She saw signs for Golden Gate Park, seeing a bit through her window.  It didn’t look as big as she thought it would be. Soon enough they were back into residential and commercial buildings, and the driver turned right down a major street, turning into a Jack in the Box. 


“Just a snack?” she asked. 


“You’ll want dinner at the casino, miss,” he replied. 


“Large curly fry and an Oreo milkshake, please,” she requested. 


“Coming right up,” he smiled in the rear view mirror. He waited in line for the drive thru, placing the order when it was their turn. He paid at the window, passing the food to her once it reached his hands.


“Thank you,” she said timidly, as if he’d done her a favor instead of following orders. He turned back into the main drag, 19th Avenue, according to the street signs. 


“We already passed Golden Gate Park, but we’re approaching the Presidio now. You’ll see the bridge soon. Might want your camera ready,” he suggested. 


They rounded a corner, Jenna gasping in awe as she saw the bridge, bigger than life and lit up brightly against the dark sky. It was almost 7:00, the sky fully dark, but thankfully fogless, just light clouds high above. She got a full, uninterrupted view, and it was everything she’d dreamed it would be. She snapped a couple pictures before they got on the bridge, taking it all in. It felt magical somehow.  


They reached the other side, wishing they could stop for more pictures, but the vista point was closed and would only delay her arrival. She wanted nothing more than to get to the casino, check into her hotel room, and call JC.


Why couldn’t she call him now?  She pulled out her phone, excitement burning up inside her. 


“I got your text, guessing you got mine?” he smiled into the phone. 


“I just went over the Golden Gate Bridge,” she sighed happily. 


“Sorry to interrupt, but we’re getting ready to go through the Robin Williams Tunnel. It’s worth taking a look as we go in,” the driver said.


She squinted to see in the darkness, the amber lights taking away some of the magic. “Is that a… rainbow?”


“Yes, miss.  It’s been there for years, they named the tunnel after Robin once he passed.  Back to your phone call…”


“Hi babe,” JC chuckled into the phone.  “So you had a good flight?”


“Yeah.  I’m not the best flier, and then with it being my first time flying alone…  Thankfully I had my *NSYNC related playlist to help me stay calm.  Thank you for setting up the ride, it made it easier than me having to wait for one.”


“Glad I could help,” he smiled. “What were you thinking for dinner?”


“I WAS happy with Jack in the Box, but I was told I should have dinner at the casino…”


“Make the most of your weekend, Jenna.  I can send you money to cover things if you need it…”


“I should be fine, but thank you.  So you couldn’t make it to drop me off earlier?”


“I had somewhere else I needed to be. I’ll actually be here all night, by the look of it.”  JC sighed.  “I can’t wait to hold you again…”


“Sunday night, baby.  Give Bronson extra scritches for me, maybe some extra treats, too.  I’m not a dog person, but Bronson is different.”


“I’ll let you get going, but have a good time, and I’ll talk to you soon…”


“I love you, Josh.”


“Love you too, Jenna.”


She settled into her seat, enjoying the music as she rode to the casino.  She thought excitedly about the next few days, getting to meet Chris somehow and seeing the concert.  The driver pulled up to the hotel portion of the casino, opening the door for her.  She walked inside, heading to check in.


“Checking in, room for Jenna Pollard…”


The woman at the front desk began typing into the computer.  “It appears someone has already checked in for you, and got an upgrade on your room. I have a key for you, room 505.  Enjoy your stay, Miss Pollard.”


She headed to the elevator, pulling out her phone.  Any idea about my room upgrade?


Her phone rang.  “You got a room upgrade? That’s pretty sweet.”


“I already had a king bed, I didn't need two queens, so I’m intrigued.  I wasn’t sure if it was you making the call or Chris, since he knows I’m going to be here.  I could see Chris being that kind of guy, so I guess he's here already, since someone checked me in.”


“He is, but it wasn’t him.  I admit it was my doing, wanting to make this weekend extra special for you…”


“Josh, I’m so looking forward to this weekend.  I miss you already but I know I’m gonna have a great time.  I just got to my room, I’ll send you pictures later.  I’ll FaceTime you after dinner, before I go to bed…”


“Mmmm, I look forward to it.”


She hung up the phone, unlocking her door with her card key.  She opened the door, seeing the bathroom right near the door, then a little seating area near the far window, a large TV on the wall across from the bed she couldn’t see.  

 

She walked further into the room, her jaw dropping at what she saw sitting at the head of the bed.  “JOSH?!”

Chapter End Notes:

Hard to take someone to the airport when you're not even in town.  Did you see that coming, or was it a surprise?

 

feedback is appreciated :)



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story