Author's Chapter Notes:

7/23/23

Jenna woke up the next morning, JC’s arm wrapped around her.  The night before had been incredible, cashing in her vouchers to collect her winnings, having a late dinner and a long night celebrating.  The fact that she was awake at that moment was only because of her internal clock, her body screaming for more rest but her mind was already going.


“Go back to sleep, Jenna,” JC sighed.  “I’m not leaving this bed for another hour when the alarm goes off…”


“I’ll try,” she replied.


“We have quite the day ahead of us, at least for what I have planned,” JC said, pulling her tighter against him.  “I could be persuaded for an encore of last night, though, if you’re wide awake…”


“More than persuaded, you’re ready and waiting.”


“I can’t help how my body reacts, Jenna.  Just thinking of you gets me like this, morning, noon, and evening.”


“I’m sure it won’t always be like this, it’ll just be morning wood and nothing more.”


“As long as you’re in my arms, even if I wake up like this, I’ll want you.  For now, try and sleep, or else we’ll need lots of sugar or coffee to get us through…”


“We fly out Monday morning, we can sleep then,” she smiled, turning to face him.


“Seriously, I’m exhausted.  I’m really reconsidering some of what we do, or at least the time we do them at…”


“What all are we doing?  Where are we even staying?” Jenna wondered.  “I had planned to fly out tonight, so I don’t have a reservation anywhere.”


“I have it taken care of.  I’m not a big gift giving person as far as expensive things, but this weekend is more of my love language.  I like to share experiences and memories with someone, and I want to make some great memories with you, Jenna…”


“While you still can,” she sighed.


“Hey, everything will be fine.  The surgery will be successful, you’ll be healthy and we can have everything we want for each other.  I will love you more because of this, how strong it will make you.  Things like this either solidify bonds between people or tear them apart.  My parents are closer now than I’ve ever seen them, and I didn't even think that was possible.  This is going to bring us together and make our love for each other even stronger.”


She felt herself pulled tighter against JC, his body starting to tremble at the thought of losing her.  “Fate didn’t bring us together just to split us apart.  I can’t lose you now, I WON’T lose you to this.  You have a long laugh ahead of you that we’re going to spend together, raising our little family.  It may take a while, but it’ll happen.”  He looked into her eyes, almost overwhelmed by how clear they were in that moment, the deep color of her eyes pulling him in that he didn't want to look away.  “We should get dressed, pack everything up.  Then we’ll grab a quick bite and check out before our big day.”


“Coffee, too?”


“Coffee, too. Lots of coffee…” he smiled.


They got dressed, both opting for more casual looks of jeans and t-shirts, Jenna’s a little more fitted against her curves.  JC wore a baseball hat and basic black jacket, Jenna in a cream colored cardigan.  They packed up their things into their bags, grabbing breakfast burritos before checking out of the hotel.  Somehow, to Jenna’s surprise, there was a car waiting for them.


“I mean, I should have known we weren’t walking to San Francisco, but to have the car already here…”


“I ordered it earlier while we were packing,” JC admitted, helping put their things in the trunk of the car.


“Long drive ahead, so sit back and enjoy,” their driver said as they buckled in.  A 90’s playlist was on, Jenna smiling at the nostalgia she was feeling.  Once they finished their food, JC wrapped an arm around Jenna, and she settled into his side.


She smiled as the Golden Gate Bridge stood before them, excited to go over it again.  Being a Sunday morning, there was minimal traffic on the bridge, their ride smooth into the city.  She saw different landmarks within the city, getting views of the water most of the way.  Eventually they stopped in front of one of the piers.


“We’re getting out here?” Jenna wondered.


“We are,” JC smiled.  He helped her out of the car, thanking their driver before walking towards a ticket booth.


“Josh, no… really?” she gasped as she saw the signs.  


“Two tickets to Alcatraz,” he chuckled softly.  “Brag to Justin you got to actually go in.”


“Josh, what if we’re seen together?”


“Jenna, it happens.  We’re not gonna get mobbed by fans.  We had better odds yesterday during everything, especially being out on the casino floor and people still hanging around after the concert.  It’ll be fine.  Most people might come up wanting to say hi, get a picture, but honestly I don’t get stopped as much as people would think.  That’s assuming I get recognized in the first place.  I like things low key.  I go places and am mostly left alone.  If people take pictures and they end up online, it’s usually from a distance, and there’s nothing I can do about it.  What matters is that I’m here with you, having a great time.  Let’s get our tickets and get on the boat.”


“I wish I’d known earlier, I could’ve taken more Dramamine.  I have it in my bag, hopefully it kicks in before we get out on the water.”


“We’re still in line, so go ahead.  Not that it’s a long line, but now is better than later with these things.”


JC bought their tickets, Jenna staying around the edge of the boat once they got on board.  It was a medium sized yacht type ship, one she figured Justin or Eric might rent out for a week in some tropical locale.  The wind whipped around her, sending a chill through her bones.  “I may have underestimated how cold it gets here with the winds,” Jenna said.  JC wrapped his arms around her, surrounding her with his warmth.


“Better?” he asked, gently kissing her cheek.


“Much better.  I figured maybe if I could see where we’re going and feel the wind, it might help a bit with the motion sickness.  Thankfully we’ll spend more time on land than on the water today.  Right?” she asked, looking up at him.


“This is our only water-based adventure, at least that I have planned.”


The boat pulled away from the pier, motoring along towards the island.  Either the Dramamine was working, or having JC’s arms around her distracted her from any feelings of motion sickness.  When they landed on the island, they gave their tickets to the young man checking, smiling at each other with a secret shared between them.  They walked throughout the grounds, getting headsets to do a self guided audio tour.  They took pictures of the grounds, the views of the city and the water, enjoying themselves and the experience in front of them.  Two hours seemed to fly by, being led back onto the boat and back to the city.


“You hungry?” JC wondered.  “I know breakfast was on the lighter side and over 3 hours ago…”


“I could eat,” Jenna smiled.  


“Perfect, follow me,” he said, taking her hand in his, lacing their fingers together.  He began to walk, Jenna wondering where they were going.  She’d worn sensible sneakers, having already planned a day of sightseeing in the City.


She smiled when she saw the large red guitar come into view.  “Any excuse to go to hard Rock, huh?” she giggled.


“I mean, we can go in, but that wasn't where I was planning.  I thought we could window shop, go into places you wanna go, have some lunch.  I’ve seen and heard about Pier 39, but we never got to go when we were here for the music video, and I’ve never been up here since those days, not really.”


They walked along, Jenna looking at different places to eat, not wanting to decide until she’d seen what the Pier had to offer.  “We’re going in there on the way out, that’s for sure,” Jenna smiled, noticing a store called “Chocolate Heaven”.  There were even little kiosks selling Biscoff cookies and mini donuts, everything making her all the hungrier for lunch.  


“I thought we could stop in here,” JC grinned, Jenna seeing a sign for “Lefty’s San Francisco, the Left Handed Store.


Jenna smiled and nodded, beginning to look around the store.  “I’d love some notebooks for school.  The pens look interesting, I’m not sure what makes them different, but it could be fun to try them out if nothing else.”


“You need a mug for at home and one for at work,” he suggested.


“Maybe some kid’s scissors for kids in my class, I’ll keep them in a special container to give to students I see that are left-handed.  Most people don’t notice that I’m left handed, I do a lot of things right handed, so good catch.”


“You use your left hand for brushing your teeth, putting on your makeup, holding your mugs, and writing of course.  I haven’t seen you write a whole lot, but I did pick up on the other things.”


“Look at you, all observant and stuff.”


They paid for the items and continued to walk down the thoroughfare.  They stopped at a sock shop, getting some eclectic socks.  Jenna squealed when she happened to find an *NSYNC pair of socks.  “I’m not sure these are properly licensed, but if you really want them, then fine,” JC sighed.  “Really, pineapple socks?”


“Yes.  They’re fun, along with the other socks I’m getting. Mostly for spirit day type things.  Don’t be a spoiled sport.”


“I’m grabbing socks, so don’t go calling me a spoiled sport.  Today is going to be lots of fun, at least that’s my plan.”


They finally decided on about 20 pairs of socks between the two of them, almost evenly split between them as far as quantity.


They made it to the end of the pier, JC seeing a few more options for restaurants.  “We could do Bubba Gump since we’re here.”


“We could do that at the Santa Monica Pier, I want something different.  I know just the place,” she said, a grin on her face.  


They walked back down to the middle of the pier, Jenna walking up to Wipeout Bar and Grill.  They were seated at a table on the back patio, soon looking over the menu.  “You should get the Wipeout burger,” she smiled.  “I’m sorry, I couldn’t help it.”


JC looked at her, slightly confused.  “Why?”


“Umm, Wipeout…?”


“What?  Oh.  Oh god, I haven’t thought about that in ages.  I think about the band more than that.  Don’t get me wrong, I still talk to them, but a lot of it is such a blur now.  Is that why you picked this place, because of the name?”


“Guilty as charged.  Ok, is it bad I want the sweet potato fries, the garlic fries, and a bread bowl of clam chowder?  God, everything sounds good.”


“Let’s do the sweet potato fries, you can have the soup, and I’ll have a burger.  Just not the Wipeout.  If I can avoid blue cheese, I usually do.”


“I’m sure you could change cheeses, Josh.”


JC smiled. “Fine. It’s the onion straws that sealed the deal for me.  I’ll see if I can get garlic fries instead of regular if I’m going to be that guy anyway,” he chuckled. 


They ordered their food, the server gladly able to make the substitutions JC requested. Jenna looked out onto the bay, seeing and hearing the sea lions. 


“There aren’t as many as there used to be,” an older woman at the table next to them said.  “I think COVID changed things for them, too. You’re not supposed to feed them, but something happened that there are fewer now. A few years ago those docks would be full of them, seals taking turns being in the water out pushing others off for a space. It got as low as 20 total at one point. A bunch left in 2010, but it feels like they might not bounce back in numbers like back then.  We come here every year to see them.”


“They’re incredible to watch, that’s for sure,” JC smiled, though his eyes were only on Jenna. 


Their food arrived, Jenna eager to have her clam chowder. She took one of her sweet potato fries and dipped it in the soup, curious about the flavor combination. “Ok, this is incredible!” she said, taking more fries and dipping them in. JC gave her some of his garlic fries, that being equally as delicious in a different way. 


They finished their food, walking back towards the end of the pier, JC seeing something called 7D Experience.  It sounded interesting, combining 3D with moving and rumbling seats as you “shoot” towards the screen. It was also a dark “ride”, so it was added privacy. 


Jenna was not a fan of the zombies and things popping out at her, going between closing her eyes and opening them so she wouldn’t feel sick. She took off the goggles that were part of it and focused on JC.  He was having a lot of fun, it reminding her of something he might have done with Justin or Chris back in the day. 


The ride ended, Jenna pretending she had a fun time, admittedly looking a bit wobbly and nauseated.  “Yeah, maybe right after lunch wasn’t the best idea,” he sighed, running a hand through his hair.  


“Buy me some chocolate and we’ll be fine,” she laughed.


“I’ll buy out the whole store if I have to, just to see that smile and hear that laugh.”


They headed back down the pier before a realization hit Jenna.  “Josh, we left our bags in the trunk of that car!”


“Sure did,” he replied plainly.  “Don’t worry, I had him drop them off at the hotel.  I got a text from the hotel confirming our things were checked in, and they’ll be waiting for us at our room.”


“When do I get to see our room?  I’m curious where we’re staying.”

 

“After dinner.  Don’t worry, this is supposed to be a fun day.  Now, let’s get you some chocolate,” he smiled.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story