The next morning, Jenna woke up to the smell of JC’s body wash, the sound of him humming in the shower.  They’d had many bathroom interludes during her stay in recovery, but this felt different.  They were home, it all felt right.  No interruptions of nurses during the middle of the night at shift change.  Endorphins still ran through her body from the night before, properly celebrating their return home. She felt a stirring within her just knowing that he was wet and naked in the shower.  


She quietly got out of bed, tiptoeing closer to the bathroom door.  She stood just outside the door, listening to him hum, while also trying to figure out how far into his shower he was.


“I’d rather you join me than stand out there like a stalker,” he chuckled.


“How…?” she asked.


“I saw something in the mirror.  How I saw it in the foggy glass of the shower, I don’t know, but I’m glad I did.”


“You’re lucky I’m still naked from last night that it makes this easy,” she smiled, stepping into the room.


“Just a shower, nothing dirty.  I have breakfast planned, then we’ll relax a bit.  We’re both probably in desperate need of doing laundry, and I need to start getting back into work mode.  The trip to New York is in just over a week, and there’s a lot to do.”  If only she knew half of what he had planned for that week.  Reservations had been made for sightseeing and typical NYC things, JC wanting to take control of the situation and seeing what would happen.  


They showered, Jenna disappointed that it didn’t lead to more, but excited to spend a day with him outside of the hospital.  It had begun to feel like home, and now that she was actually home, it felt somewhat foreign.  She headed down to the kitchen, JC watching her.  


“What are you doing?” he wondered.


“You said you had breakfast planned, so I thought…”


“We’re going out for breakfast.  Nothing fancy.  We can even take Bronson.”


JC grabbed the leash off the wall, Bronson jumping at his ankles in excitement.


“I guess we’re not taking the bike, then,” she giggled.


“Why do I feel the need for a tiny sidecar just for him?” JC laughed.


“Because he’d love it, if you could harness him in.  Otherwise he’d jump out at the first red light or thing he could chase.”


“Too true.”  JC put the leash onto Bronson’s collar, Bronson running to Jenna, nuzzling her ankles, being much more reserved.


“That’s not like you, BronBron,” Jenna sighed.  “I wonder what’s going on.  He’s definitely still an affectionate guy.  Did you miss me?  I missed you, but they wouldn’t let you be in with us, buddy.  I’m sure Daddy checked on you.  Wait,” she paused. “Does that mean I’m Mommy now, not Jen?”


“Well, he hasn’t seen her in a while, so probably.  Is that ok?  It’s a dog, not an actual child where it would be more complex.  You’re just happy with whoever gives you treats and scratches, huh bud?” JC said, bending to scratch Bronson’s back.  


Bronson usually would drag JC to the door once the leash was on, so for him to be all but glued to Jenna as they walked to the Jeep was unusual.  JC drove down the mountain into the busy city, parking in a lot she was unfamiliar with.  Bronson had sat on her lap the whole time, not being his usual self.  Jenna began to worry a little at the change in him.


She saw a small restaurant, a few tables out front.  “Have a seat, I’ll let them know we’re sitting out here,” JC said.  Jenna took a seat at a table, sitting where she could get a good view of the city.  They were in an area she wasn’t familiar with, wanting to be able to watch the people going by.  JC soon joined them at the table, Bronson laying at Jenna’s feet.


“I brought menus, just so we’re not on our phones.  Feels more old fashioned somehow.  Jesus, looking at a physical menu is now old fashioned?” he gasped.


“COVID changed a lot of things.  Should you really be surprised, Mr. Digital Getdown and Space Cowboy? It’s like you saw this coming.  Admit it, you’re psychic.”


“I wish that I were, I could've avoided some of the shit I’d gone through, that’s for sure.  Maybe someone invented time travel and I’ve had this seed in the back of my head that I needed to save you, protect you.”  he took her hand in his, smiling softly at her.  “I wish I knew that day where things would lead.  I wouldn’t have dragged things out with Jen and we could be together at least a little longer.”


Jenna started looking over the menu.  “How do you choose what to have?  Their pancakes alone sound amazing…”


“Jen and I would normally share.”


“Well, I like to eat, so that’s not happening,” Jenna laughed.


“Suit yourself,” JC smiled, knowing something Jenna didn’t.


“I know what I want, I’m so excited.”


“I’m glad you like it already, I used to come here quite a bit.”


A waiter came over, bending down to pet Bronson.  Bronson began to growl at the young man.  “Bronson, no,” JC said firmly.  “You know him, what’s gotten into you?”


The man looked at JC.  “Mimosas?”


“No, I think just apple juice for both of us?” he said, looking at Jenna for confirmation.  “I’ll take decaf coffee.  Let the lady order first.”


“Um, I’ll take the  Black Magic and a side of scrambled eggs.  And a glass of water, please," Jenna said as she gave her order.


“I’ll have the Sow Your Oats,” JC said plainly, “and Bronson will have his usual.”


“Bronson gets his own food when you come?” Jenna gasped.


“Well, he doesn’t come here every time I do, so he deserves the extra treat.  I suggest starting with your eggs once they come.”


“Sounds good, I’d rather have cold pancakes than cold eggs.”


“Wasn’t what I meant, but ok.”


Bronson growled at people who walked by.  This was normal, because they were strangers, but he was less playful than he normally was as well.  Jenna watched him, great with kids that walked up and wanted to pet him, but growling at the adults.  It had taken a bit for him to adjust to Jenna, but it seemed as if he missed her more than either of them realized.  


Their food came, and Jenna’s eyes widened.  The eggs were a decent size, but the pancake plate was bigger than her head, she had no idea how they’d fit their food onto the table..  JC helped rearrange things that his plate fit in front of him and gave Jenna the room she needed.  Bronson got a small plate was a cut up pancake, scrambled egg, and a large dollop of whipped cream.


“This is incredible,” Jenna gasped.  “This pancake is bigger than my head!”


“Two pancakes,” JC corrected, using his fork to show her the pancake underneath.  “That’s why we’d normally share.  I also wanted you to have your own experience with this place, so I’d say it was worth it.”


“It’s cute that they have a little plate for Bronson.  I know you asked for it, but it’s cute.”


“Think you’ll wanna share next time?” JC asked.


“I dunno, won’t people suspect that we’re together?” Jenna wondered.


“Maybe, but it’s true, and I don’t want to act like we aren’t when we’re in public.  I know I’ve become very private, but I shouldn’t have to hide all the time.  If I wanna take my girlfriend out to breakfast, I should be able to do so, just like everyone else.”


“Don’t think I didn't notice you ordering decaf coffee because of me.  You feel free to have whatever you want.  Just because I can’t have it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t.  I’ll be your built-in designated driver, once I get my license back.”


“It’s been over a month since your last one, so let’s hope that holds,” JC smiled softly.  “You wanna try this?  Raspberry lemon,” he offered.


She nodded, letting him feed her a bite.  It was delicious, but she was happy with her choice as well.  “We may need to not share for a while, especially the farther along I get.”


“There are times I’ll want privacy, and I think around the end is gonna be big.  I don’t get recognized often, but when I do, I can see it being a big thing when you’re ready to pop.  Paparazzi might follow us around at that point, hoping they catch us before going to the hospital to deliver, get a shot of Liam before anywhere else.”


“I guess I should get used to that, huh?”


“Only when we’re together, but even then Jen and I lived a pretty normal existence.  I know LA and Hollywood are the land of movie stars, but most of us can just live like everyone else, go into restaurants and stores and not worry a lot of the time.  By the time you’re that far along, it’ll be common knowledge that we’re together.  I won’t want to hide out of shame, but to protect your privacy.  I need to ask Justin how he did all this with Jess.”


‘Well, with Phin they were in Montana during lockdown, so that made that easy,” Jenna laughed.  “I honestly wasn’t paying too much attention when they were expecting Silas, I don’t think I even knew until after he was born”


“He’ll be devastated to know you weren’t an obsessive fan his whole career,” JC laughed.


“I very much doubt that.”


They finished breakfast, packaging up what they didn't finish, enough to have for the next day.  JC drove, Jenna recognizing the area.


“We just finished breakfast, we’re going to Rocco's?” she wondered.


“No.  You’ll see.”  He parked, Bronson not wanting to leave Jenna.  Jenna put him down, holding his leash, Bronson pulling and leading the way.  Jenna guessed they came here often, that Bronson could lead them.


“It’s a park, this is wonderful, right in the heart of WeHo,” Jenna smiled.  “Right behind all these restaurants and things.  Where is he taking us?”


“They have a dog park here, one of his favorites.  Sometimes Lance brings Chip and Dale for a playdate.  Ok, yeah, that sounded weird.  Does that mean I’m one of THOSE dog owners?” he chuckled.


“Jury’s out on that one,” Jenna replied.  She bent down to let Bronson off his leash when another dog came towards him.  Bronson barked, more in warning than excitement, growling as the dog came closer to Jenna.


“Bronson, no,” Jenna said firmly.  She waited for the dog to leave before letting Bronson off his leash.


Bronson ran off, starting to interact with the other dogs, being more playful this time.  However, another dog approached Jenna, and Bronson sped over, barking the whole way.  JC jumped in when Bronson got in the dog’s face, barking, almost like he was ready to bite.


“Bronson, what is going on, bud?” JC asked, exasperated.  “Let’s go home, I can’t have you acting like this.”  JC picked up Bronson in his arms, Bronson squirming and fighting the embrace, barking and growling to be let go.  He whimpered as he gave up the fight, looking at Jenna as she walked beside JC.  


“I wanted to stop somewhere on our way out, but now I’m not so sure,” JC sighed.


“Where?” Jenna wondered.  


“I wanted to pick up ice cream for later.”


“I can hold Bronson if it helps at all.”


“We’ll see.  I’ll hold him, it should be fine now that he’s stopped fighting me.”


They made the short walk to Salt and Straw, Jenna having never been.  The staff greeted them, saying hi to JC by name.  “You come in that often?” Jenna laughed.


“Don’t judge me,” JC laughed in reply.  He looked at the young man behind the counter.  “I’ll take a pint of the freckled mint chocolate chip.  Jenna, what do you want?”


She quickly looked over the menu of flavors.  “I’ll take the salted, malted chocolate chip cookie dough.”


“Good choice.  The chocolate gooey brownie is good too, super rich,” JC suggested.  “Can we get some waffle cones and a thing of sprinkles, too?”


JC paid for their ice cream and took the bag, now carrying Bronson with one arm. Bronson immediately sat on her lap once they got into the car, JC noticing how calm he was now.  By the time they got up to the house, Bronson had fallen asleep on Jenna’s lap.


Jenna put the leftovers in the fridge as JC headed upstairs to grab their laundry.  He insisted on doing the laundry, not wanting her to lift anything too heavy.


“It’s laundry, not a pallet of bricks, Josh,” Jenna sighed.


“I’m just gonna be one of those guys, Jenna. Waiting on you hand and foot.”


“So, no change from BEFORE I was pregnant,” she giggled.


“I guess this is who I am now.  I was like this with your tumor, now with the baby coming.  I like it, not something I ever expected for myself, that’s for sure.”


“If it wasn’t happening to me, I’d be right along with you, but I love it, being the recipient of all this attention.”


“You love it now, wait until tonight,” he whispered, kissing her neck.


“Why later?” she wondered.


“I have things I need to be working on.  I’ll break for lunch in a bit, but not for long.  I’ve been putting this project off for too long, it’s due next week.”


“It’s like you have homework, with due dates and such,” Jenna smiled.


“The client is very understanding, but this completion date is something I set more than they did.  I’ll be back out in a bit.”


“Love you,” she grinned before giving him a quick peck.


“Love you, too,” he smiled.


“Hope everything goes well, I hope the client likes what you put together.”

 

Oh, I’m pretty sure they will, since I’m working on things for you…



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story