“They’re really not gonna charge me for anything?” Jenna asked. 


“Yeah. Being unemployed you qualified for Medi-Cal.  Everything will be covered,” Kelly lied. She had qualified, but it wouldn’t cover everything she needed. It would help, for sure, but JC had left his information to bill things to. Kelly knew something had been arranged after speaking to people in the billing department, but they couldn’t divulge the name or information of her generous benefactor. 


“It’s been 2 and a half weeks since you had the seizures, don’t worry about anything else. Stress caused this, so stay as stress free as you can…”


“Kelly, I used the last bits of my savings to pay this month’s rent. Unless I get a job soon, unemployment isn’t going to make ends meet.”


“You let ME worry about that,” Kelly sighed. 


Jenna’s phone rang.  “Hello?”


“Yes, is this Jenna Pollard?”


“Speaking…”


“I’m with Hawthorne School, and we’d like to schedule an interview.  When are you available?”


“Oh, ummm, any time.”


“Does this afternoon work for you? Say... 2:00?”


“Sure. Absolutely. I’ll look up your address and see you then. Thank you…” Jenna stammered better hanging up.


“What was that?” Kelly wondered. 


“I have a job interview.  Funny thing is, I don’t remember sending this school a resume… I’ve sent so many, maybe I’m just losing track of everywhere I applied to?  I mean, it could be one of the first ones I applied to at the start of the summer.”


“What difference does it make?! You have an interview, and you’re going to ace it!  It’s my day off, I’ll help you get ready!”


“I’m not wearing the pantsuit again.”


“Why not? You look great in it…”


“I totaled my car, it’s bad luck.”


“Or it’s good luck cuz he saved your life that day…”


“Can we not? He hasn’t texted or called me since. He doesn’t even want to be friends.  Nothing good came out of that.”


“You’re still alive, that should count.”


“I guess.”


“You’re so glass half empty… Fine, what do you want to wear then?  That had been your go to interview outfit.”


“And maybe that’s where I went wrong. I was dressed like the admin and less like a teacher.  It’s August, maybe a dress?”


“You have that blue marbled tank wrap dress! It’s perfect. Sophisticated but fun.  I’ll help with your hair, a little makeup, I’ll even drive you there.”


“Ok. Let’s do this,” she sighed, determined to make this different. 


Her hair was pinned back on the sides, the rest down. Her eyes were in a neutral palette that made her blue eyes pop against her dress.  She finished the look with a pair of silver ballet flats she had. Kelly drove her to the school, Jenna beginning to feel intimidated.


“I don’t remember applying here, and it’s a super fancy private school. I hope I’m good enough…”


“Jenna, you got this.  You love teaching, find a way to make it shine through.  Text me when you’re done. I’m gonna run errands and I’ll be ready with a celebratory Starbucks when you’re done.”


Jenna pressed the buzzer at the gate, telling the small camera that she was there for an interview.  The gate clicked, Jenna opening it tentatively. The office was right in front, the white two story building feeling imposing. She suddenly thought back to the things JC had said about her, the positive qualities she possessed. She’d tried to push him out of her mind, but his voice and those words broke through. 


She stood taller and walked in with confidence.  She carried her leather folder with copies of her resumé, ready as she could possibly be.  She was greeted by the receptionist, given a seat waiting for the principal.  A kind faced woman walked out of an office, admittedly not what Jenna was expecting. She had a good feeling wash over her, relief and confidence and relaxation taking over her body.



“Hey, I need you to take me somewhere,” Jenna said over the phone.


“Where?”


“Maybe not tonight, but somewhere awesome, cuz I’m gonna teach kindergarten!!!”


“Jenna, that’s exciting!  It’s been a few hours, I was starting to get worried…”


“I went in and they wanted to see me teach a lesson after I toured the classroom, saw the kids in the summer program.  Some of them will be in my class in a couple weeks.  I saw a book on the bookshelf and went with it.  I read the book, asking them questions along the way, then we did an art lesson.  The principal was impressed.  I have my credential, but they had me take a general knowledge exam just to be sure, and now I just need to sign some paperwork and get my ID badge to start on Monday!”


“You realize what Monday is, don’t you?” Kelly asked.


“”What?”


“JC’s birthday!  OMG we HAVE to go somewhere and celebrate your new job, and I know just the place.  We’ll go on Sunday!  Shit, how will you get to work?”


“I guess I’ll take the bus…”


“No, we can’t have that.  I’ll drop you off, my shifts don’t start until later.  Even on my days off I’ll take you and then go back to sleep.  Take the bus home or whatever, but start the day without smelling like the LA bus line…  When does school start?  You said they were doing their summer program?”


“Next week is their last week of summer. The next week is to set up classrooms and stuff, do workshops and things, so it’s really perfect timing.  I’ll be working with another teacher in the room, we can have up to 30 kids in a room with 2 teachers.  I met the teacher I’ll be working with, she’s great.  I’m really looking forward to this.  School starts the following Monday, the 22nd.”


“I’m so happy for you, Jenna.  Let me grab Starbucks for us and I’ll be right there.”



Jenna woke up late on Sunday morning, enjoying the ability to sleep in one last time. She was excited to start her new job, going in to get things started on her classroom. 


There was a knock on her door. “Get dressed, we’re gonna be late,” Kelly said.  “Dress up a little, we’re going somewhere special.”


“Where are we going?” Jenna wondered. 


“You’ll find out once we get there.  Get up and get ready!”


Jenna got up, looking through her closet. She settled on a black jumpsuit, with a neckline that could be scoop neck, or stretch to be off one or both shoulders.  Being fancy, she opted for off both shoulders, with a simple white gold necklace. Her hair was pulled up and back into a twist, a natural eye palette and light color on her lips.  She slipped into a pair of silver strappy sandals and was ready to go.


They got into Kelly’s car, Kelly following her GPS.  Jenna began to recognize the area, especially once they got onto Sunset Blvd.  Her stomach churned as they got closer. No, please no…


“Kelly, where are we going?” she asked nervously. 


“We’re crossing off a bucket list item. We’re going to drag show brunch at Rocco’s!  I figured maybe we’ll see Lance or the birthday boy himself!”


Jenna felt like she was going to be sick. She was nervous to see either of the men Kelly was hoping to see, especially the latter of the two.  Kelly parked the car, the girls walking up to wait to get in. Jenna scanned the area nervously, hoping not to be recognized. Kelly got her reservation up on her phone for when they were ready to start seating people.


A server grabbed Jenna’s hand. “Girl, you should have said you were coming! Let’s get you girls a table right up front!”


Kelly gave Jenna a look. “You know him?”  Jenna shrugged, not fighting the option of getting a better table. The server scanned Kelly's ticket before taking them in. “Let me know what you want, ANYTHING ladies.”


“Give us a minute to look over the menu,” Kelly said quietly. The server nodded but walking away.  “I know red hair is rare, and you’re beautiful, but this is a gay bar. He’s acting like he knows you…”


“Working for a big tip, I guess,” Jenna tried to play things cool.  She looked over the menu, it being different than the ones she saw the last time she was there.


The server returned to take their order. “I’ll take the eggs benedict and a glass of pineapple juice,” Jenna ordered. 


“She’ll also take the chocolate chip pancakes, we’ll share the avocado toast, and I’ll have the rainbow waffle stack and a bloody Mary.”


“Anything to drink drink?” the server asked Jenna.


“I shouldn’t mix with my medications. Can we do like a mai tai, heavy on the pineapple juice but light on the alcohol?”


“I’ll grab that for you,” a male voice said as he approached their table. Kelly’s jaw dropped as Jenna’s face reddened as the man walked away. 


“Was that… Lance Bass?!” Kelly whisper yelled.


“Pretty sure, yup…”


“Oh my GOD, he’s getting our drinks himself!”


A few minutes later, Lance returned with their drinks, sitting down next to Jenna. “I’m glad your server recognized you, it’s good to see you again,” Lance smiled, hugging Jenna. 


“Wait, you’ve met before?  You met Lance and didn’t tell me?!”


“Kelly, stop…”


“Yeah, she was here a couple weeks ago…”


Kelly’s jaw dropped. “Wait, did she come here for brunch?”


“Oh god, no…” Jenna gasped, realizing what was happening. 


“Yeah.  She came with…”


“Don’t say it…” Jenna begged quietly. 


“You went to a restaurant his friend owned. He’s Josh in your phone…”


“Kelly…”


“JC CHASEZ SAVED YOUR LIFE?!” Kelly screamed, people turning to look at them. 

 

“And now I wish I was dead,” Jenna sighed. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story