Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Song lyrics to "Invisible Man" are copyright by Joshua Kadison. If you haven't heard the song, you really should! (I love Joshua Kadison!)

Woke up this morning with a funny feeling,
wasn't really sure what it was all about.
But it felt like I was dissapearing,
so I ran to the mirror to check it out.
I said, "Here I am, here I am, here I am
...but why do I feel like the invisible man?"

 

Lance slowly opened his eyes, groaning as the night before caught up with him. Perhaps drinking wasn't the best way to make him feel better. Things didn't feel right this morning, and it wasn't just because he couldn't entirely remember the night before. He felt like he was slowly disappearing, that Lance Bass was becoming someone he was not.

He went into the bathroom and ran the water to make it as cold as he could. He scooped the cold water into his hand and splashed it on his face. As he straightened up and reached for a towel, he glimpsed himself in the mirror. The sight surprised him, as if he had forgotten what he looked like up until this point. He stroked the day old stubble on his chin and contemplated the dark circles under his eyes.

"Here I am," he whispered, his voice still raw with sleep. "This is me. Take me, or leave me, I don't care. So why do I feel like the Invisible Man?"

I stumbled back into the bedroom,
and stared up at the rising sun.
Then I heard my self shout out the window,
not really talking to anyone,
I yelled, "Here I am, here I am, here I am
...but why do I feel like the invisivle man?"

Lance slowly made his way back to another generic hotel bed in another generic hotel in goodness only knows what generic city he was in. He stumbled over a shoe that he had kicked off on his way to bed last night. He stood by the window, looking out at the rising sun and before he realized it, the balcony door was open and he was standing on the balcony yelling at the top of his lungs. "Here I am! Here I am and guess what world? I'm GAY!! So now what are ya gonna do?"

Lights went on, people started
yelling,
"Will the crazy man go back to bed."
And there I was, laughing out my window,
feeling much better now, somebody heard what I said.

Lance stood back from the railing as he saw lights on the nearby suites come on.

"Well, bully for you! Now shut up and go back to bed!"

"Who is the crazy guy?"

"I don't care if you're gay or straight, but if you don't go back to bed, I'm going to come over there and clobber you!"

Lance was pretty sure the last one was Justin, but he didn't dare get close enough to be sure. He was laughing now because he certainly wasn't invisible any longer. It didn't matter if his friends knew the truth or not. What mattered is that he had admitted it out loud. He had embraced his true identity.

Well it's no big thing, no revelation,
no answer to all these lives we lead.
But I think I do know one thing:
Sometimes I think we all need to say,
"Here I am, here I am, here I am."
when life makes us feel like the invisible man.


Completed
PopDiva is the author of 17 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story