Chapter 10 - Birthday Girl

How cute are they, right? Yeah, that’s what I thought too. When we were first introduced, which was the next day, I wasn’t all that sure how much I trusted this teenager. But Piper proved me wrong.

The second she opened her mouth and began to tease Justin, who immediately joked back, I knew that she was special. Justin’s depression seemed to have disappeared for the time-being, and if Piper was the cure, I definitely wasn’t going to object to her hanging around with him.

Especially when she became like another sister to me. I swear, that girl could make me and Justin laugh, and even JC, who usually has a hard time understanding even the simplest of jokes (though I still love him). I really wasn’t looking forward to the time when she had to leave to go back to school.

So for the time-being, I enjoyed her company and watched Justin flourish and shine more like his old self. I guess I was being a little bit too stubborn and optimistic.


Three Day Later – March 8, 2005

“Piper!” Justin whispered as he crept into her room early that Tuesday morning, the fifth day of Piper’s vacation.

“Go away,” she mumbled, burying deeper into her covers.

Justin felt his heart flop as he watched her hair spill over the covers, nothing but her face visible amid the bundle of blankets. She was cute when she was half-asleep.

“No way birthday girl, it’s time to start the day,” Justin replied, bouncing on the bed.

“Who told you it’s my birthday?” she groaned, pulling the blanket over her head.

“Rae.”

“Remind me to murder her when I get the chance. This day is already starting off bad, I don’t need it to get any worse with everybody announcing that it’s my birthday,” she rambled, her voice muffled beneath the covers.

“What do you mean it started off bad?” Justin questioned, curious.

“Take a look out my window,” she began, motioning vaguely in the direction of one of the pristine windows that overlooked the beach.

“What? All I see are Virginia and her boyfriend,” Justin replied, noting that the couple seemed to be having a rather heated discussion.

“That’s not her boyfriend, it’s her twin brother. Andrew. My ex-boyfriend,” Piper explained as she finally sat up, her eyes red from crying.

“What?!?”

“Yeah, the ass decided that he’d fly all the way out here to visit me on my birthday,” Piper explained, lip trembling, “I don’t know what he wants from me, but I can’t stand being around him. I can’t stand feeling like I’m completely disposable to him when something better comes around.”

“Oh sweets, you’re not disposable. Not in the least. I mean, come on, look at me. I’ve been bugging you practically every day since you’ve been here,” he commented, hugging her, “Now, do you want me to kick the shit out of him?”

“Justin!” she cried, giggling as she looked up at him, “I don’t need you going to jail because you beat up my ex-boyfriend.”

“You sure?” he questioned, other ideas on his mind.

“Positive. Now let me go get a quick shower and you can do whatever you’re planning for my birthday, okay?” she stated, sliding from beneath the protection of his strong arms.

“Uh, yeah, sure,” he stuttered, staring as she walked about, looking for clothes.

She wore that to bed? That skimpy little tank top and pair of boxers? That’s what she called her pajamas? Hot damn. He couldn’t keep his eyes off her! The clothes left very little to his overactive imagination, and he almost didn’t hear her next question.

“What should I wear?” she asked, rummaging through the drawers where she had stored her clothes for the time-being, “What exactly are you planning?”

“I’ll pick something out,” he told her, joining her at the drawers.

“Nothing too slutty,” she warned, glowering as he blushed.

“I’d have to go shopping in Virginia’s closet to find something like that,” he commented. Piper snorted.

“You’re right about that,” she agreed.

“Wait, I know,” he suddenly cried, jumping up and rushing out of the room.

“Why do I get the feeling I’m not going to like this?” Piper mumbled, rolling her eyes.

Justin quickly walked into Rae’s room, very familiar with the house now that he had been over quite a few times. He found the young woman sitting on her bed surrounded by pictures of beautiful scenery. She immediately looked up when she heard his approach.

“You got it?” he questioned hopefully. Rae laughed.

“Don’t get your panties in a bunch pop star, it’s right here,” she replied, bouncing off the bed and toward her closet.

Rae came back with the cute dress and strappy heels that she and Justin had picked out yesterday afternoon, when Virginia and Piper had gone sightseeing. It was part of Justin’s surprise.

“Thanks Rae,” he replied, quickly hugging her before he bounced out of the room.

“That boy has got it bad,” she crowed to herself, grinning. It was about time Piper ended up with a guy that was her equal. Justin Timberlake just happened to be the man who seemed to be measuring up to that expectation. Not that Rae would ever mention that aloud. No, the two would just have to figure it out on their own.

“Okay, close your eyes,” Justin called out as he approached Piper’s room.

“Justin, what’s going on?” she questioned, putting her hands over her eyes in obedience.

“You’ll see,” he softly whispered, trying not to stare at her body. He quickly shook himself out of the purely sexual daze and came towards her, “Here, this is part of the surprise.”

Piper opened her eyes and gasped in surprise, her face glowing with pleasure at the items in Justin’s outstretched hands. He held a green halter dress that she knew would show off her figure (she wasn’t so sure about that). It came with a little half sweater, made of what looked to be cashmere, and the same color as the dress, to go over her arms. There was a pair of strappy white heels that matched perfectly with the cute little white handbag.

“For me?” she questioned, her breath catching as she came forward. He nodded his head. “Justin, it’s beautiful. You shouldn’t have.”

“Hey, the birthday girl has to ride in style,” he simply stated, shrugging his shoulders.

“Jerk. You’ve planned something really elaborate, haven’t you?” she demanded, gazing critically at him.

“Now why would you say that?” he prodded as she took the outfit and laid it across the newly-made bed.

“Hmm, maybe because I can’t wear a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, but rather a cute little sundress that matches the color of my eyes exactly,” she rambled, petting the sweater, “Wow, I can’t believe you managed to pull this off.”

“Believe me, I had help,” Justin supplied, laughing at her awed expression.

“Rae?” she questioned, glancing up.

“Of course, who else? I couldn’t exactly turn to Virginia; you’d have ended up looking like a hooker!” Justin exclaimed.

“Hey, I heard that!” Virginia cried, poking her head into the room.

“You were supposed to,” Justin replied, sticking his tongue out at her. She flicked him off.

“Is he gone?” Piper suddenly asked, voice small.

“Yeah, I sent him back to his hotel with the specific orders not to ever come by here again,” Virginia supplied, walking into the room to sit next to her friend, “I told him that if he does, our mean neighbor would be all too happy to beat his sorry ass.”

“Damn straight I would,” Justin added.

“Whatever. He’s gone, so that’s all that counts,” Piper said, frowning, “Now what was he doing here in the first place?”

“You won’t believe me when I tell you that he’s here with his new girlfriend. Guess this is where she’s from, so they decided to spend the break here,” Virginia said, frowning.

“You have got to be kidding me!” Piper exclaimed, rolling her eyes, “Still doesn’t explain why he had to come see me, but whatever. It’s my birthday and I’m not going to let his sorry ass ruin it.”

“That’s the spirit,” Justin commented, hugging her again, she smiled up at him, “Why don’t you get in the shower and give me a call when you’re ready? I’ve got to go change my clothes.”

“What on earth do you have planned Timberlake?” she grilled him, eyes narrowed.

“Just dinner with Virginia, Rae, JC, Genny and me,” he innocently replied; she wasn’t sure whether or not to buy the explanation. She rolled her eyes.

“Fine, but don’t be too surprised if I get mad when I find out what you’re really planning,” she warned before flouncing off to the bathroom.

Once Justin heard the shower turn on and made sure she couldn’t hear, he turned pleading eyes to Virginia, who just laughed.

“Am I going to be in big trouble?” he questioned, eyes wide. Virginia couldn’t help but laugh harder at his stricken expression.

“Don’t worry so much JT, she’ll love you forever for what you’re doing,” Virginia reassured him, wiping the tears of laughter from her eyes, “And if she doesn’t, well then I’ll kill her myself.”

“Okay,” Justin dejectedly replied.

“Hey, don’t worry so much. I’m sure everything is going to be fine,” she added.

“If you say so,” he mumbled before leaving for his own home.

About an hour later, Piper stood in front of a full-length mirror, nervously rubbing her hands self-consciously over her stomach. She stood sideways, sucking in as she did so. Was that how she really looked?

“Oh quite worrying so much,” Rae commented from the doorway, making Piper start in surprise, “You look gorgeous hon.”

“Are you sure?” Piper questioned as she turned back to her reflection, “This dress doesn’t make me look fat, does it?”

“Piper, if you’re fat then I’m a hippopotamus,” Rae replied, walking towards her friend, “Come on, if I thought the dress would look bad on you, I wouldn’t have picked it out.”

“True,” Piper agreed, hesitantly smiling, “So what exactly does Justin have up his sleeve?”

“My lips are sealed,” Rae stated, pretending to zip her lips.

“Not even a hint?” Piper pleaded.

“Nope,” Rae replied, then cocked her head, “I think that’s the doorbell. It must be Justin.”

“Already?” Piper questioned in a panicked tone.

“Relax girl, you look great. He’s not even going to recognize you,” Rae stated as she began to coax Piper out of the room, “Take a deep breath. It’ll make you feel better.”

Piper did as she was told and her nerves immediately began to calm. This was Justin after all; it wasn’t like he was going to be overly critical of her body. Besides, he wasn’t that shallow, as she was beginning to learn.

Justin walked into the front hallway just as Piper climbed down the last stair. He looked her up and down and whistled. She blushed.

“You look beautiful,” he told her, walking forward to envelope her in a friendly hug.

“Thanks,” she shyly whispered, enjoying his scent, “You don’t look so bad yourself.” He quietly laughed at her sincere comment, flattered.

He had showered, as was evident by the clean smell and his newly shaven face, which Piper itched to run her hands over. She was thankful she was able to overcome the urge.

He had exchanged his jeans and t-shirt for a casual pair of black pants and a button-up blue dress shirt that brought out the color of his eyes. He had tamed his curls with some gel, though Piper thought she preferred when it was natural. Overall, though, he was very handsome.

“Well kids, have fun and I’ll see you in a few hours,” Rae interrupted. Piper straightened with a start to turn and look at her friend.

“You’re not coming with us?” Piper demanded, confused.

“Nope, Virginia and I have some stuff to do before we meet you guys at the restaurant, okay?” Rae replied.

“Okay, well I guess I’ll see you in a bit then,” Piper agreed, giving her friend one last smile before she let Justin lead her out of the house.

The two of them walked down the sidewalk to the driveway where a black limo stood waiting, the driver standing at attention. Piper turned wide eyes to Justin.

“You rented a limo for me?!?” she squealed.

“Yeah,” he replied, ducking his head.

“I’ve never ridden in a limo before,” she admitted, “My senior prom Andrew wanted to drive his dad’s BMW, so I’ve never had the chance, or another excuse, to have to rent a limo.”

“Well I’m glad I could give you the opportunity,” he said as he helped her into the car.

The car pulled out of the driveway, and the two of them were quickly on their way, Piper oblivious to the surprises yet to come.


“Andrew, why do you have to go to that…that slut’s birthday party?” the blonde complained, searching her perfectly manicured nails for a flaw, “I mean, come on. I’m your girlfriend now.” Andrew sighed.

“I know Becca. It’s just that Piper and I have been friends for a long time and I would feel bad if I didn’t show up,” Andrew lied as he rummaged through his girlfriend’s fridge.

“I hope you don’t expect me to go with you,” Rebecca White stated after taking a delicate sip of her lemon water.

“No, of course not. That would make me an asshole,” Andrew responded, closing the fridge after he had pulled out the carton of milk, “I’m just going to go for about an hour and then you and I can hit up a club or something. How about that?”

“That works for me,” Becca agreed, sidling up and pressing her body to Andrew’s, “You promise two hours at the most?”

“I promise,” Andrew agreed before lowering his mouth to her’s, “It’s probably not going to be a big deal anyway. I heard that the guy who’s throwing the party is somebody she met while she’s been here, so it’s probably going to be lame. Justin something or other, I don’t really remember. Last name starts with a T I think.”

“Justin Timberlake?!?” Becca practically squealed as she moved out of his embrace.

“Yeah, I think that’s the name. How did you know?” Andrew questioned, confused.

“Well duh, he’s only the most sought-after bachelor in the pop music world,” Rebecca explained, looking at him like he was stupid, “You know, he used to be part of Nsync. Sings the ‘Like I Love You’ and ‘Cry Me A River’ songs.”

“Oh really?” Andrew questioned, the wheels in his head turning, “Well that’s interesting. I wonder how she met him.”

“Who cares? All I know is that I’m going to take advantage of this situation and meet him. I’m coming with you,” Becca announced, excited.

“Are you sure?” Andrew asked, skeptical.

“Of course I’m sure,” Becca confirmed, “I wouldn’t miss this for the world.”

“Okay,” Andrew reluctantly agreed.

With the matter settled, the two of them headed to the family room, intent on watching a movie before starting to get ready. But Andrew couldn’t seem to concentrate on the hilarious Bringin’ Down The House. His mind was focused on Piper and her newfound friend, the infamous Justin Timberlake. He didn’t quite know what to make of it.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story