Chapter 16 - Well Duh, He Screwed Up

Now, don’t yell at me. I’m sure that you were all ready to go and beat Cameron senseless. Right? You all thought that she was a bitch through and through when in reality…she’s really not. She just had some rough luck and had to make a few extremely tough decisions that didn’t work out in her favor.

As for Cameron’s little comment about Piper dating Justin…that definitely rattled her a little bit. She hadn’t thought (well hadn’t tried to think) of Justin as more than a friend. She thought he was sexy, but after all, who in their right mind wouldn’t? Oh shut up Josh, I still love you more and you know it.

Anyway, as I was saying, Piper was still only a teenager; a teenager with a lot of doubts and insecurities. Especially when it came to members of the opposite sex. Obviously, that accounts for her dismissal of Justin’s feelings turning toward the realm of relationships. She was in strict denial of that fact, and would have continued on in that way if a few certain people hadn’t stepped in to help.

Damn! Me and my big mouth. I swear, when Josh thought of this crazy idea, I thought I could do a great job of telling the true story and keeping everything in order. But I get so excited that I just want to say everything at once, which I obviously can’t do.

Well, I guess after that short little tirade, you’re ready to get back to the story. I don’t blame you.

Oh yeah, by the way, look for some fireworks coming up. Just to give you a little warning. But I’m shutting up now. I really am.


“What’s going on?” Justin demanded as he came running down the hall awhile later, his mother hot on his heels, “Is Cameron okay? Can I see her? Where is she at?” Mutely, Piper pointed to the hospital room the doctor had just vacated, not trusting herself to speak. Justin didn’t even give her a second glance.

They were in there for what seemed like forever. Which should only be natural as Cameron had quite a story to tell her fiancé. Unfortunately, it left Piper with nothing but her thoughts, which were anything but pleasant.

Sighing, she quickly settled herself into a plush chair against the wall to wait, willing her thoughts away from Justin. But as much as she tried, everything kept coming back to the handsome pop star. Why had Cameron suggested that Justin needed a woman like her?

If she could even be called a woman. She had just turned nineteen, hardly much of an adult, and nowhere near as experienced as Justin in his twenty-four years. She could hold her own, that much was true, but Justin never saw any side of her but the friendly, outgoing persona that she turned on whenever he was near.

Underneath it all, though, she was just like any other teenager, with all the same insecurities and doubts. She still had a lot of growing up to do, a lot of mistakes left to make before she found her path. There was no way she was going to drag Justin through all that, not when he had been through enough heartbreak on his own.

But she couldn’t deny the attraction she felt between them. He was sexy, talented, intelligent, funny and any other redeemable quality she could possibly desire in a man. But he was a man above her.

And they were strictly friends. Friends didn’t lust after each other. Friends didn’t have fantasies, didn’t dream of stolen kisses, and didn’t yearn for one loving embrace, as she was doing. No, nowhere in friendship was love concerned.

So, as much as it would kill her, and as hard as it would be to keep up the strong façade, she would never let Justin know these thoughts, this deeply personal secret. No, this would stay buried in a dark corner of her mind, where it definitely belonged.

The door of Cameron’s room suddenly banged open, startling Piper from her thoughts. She was surprised to find Justin striding from within, tears streaming down his face. Quickly, she jumped up and ran towards him.

“Justin…”

“I’m free,” he quietly murmured, pulling her close as the tears fell unheeded, “I’m free…”

“Shh, it’s okay,” she crooned into his ear, holding tight as she felt him tremble, “Everything’s going to be just fine.” Justin breathed a deep sigh of relief as he began to run a hand through Piper’s hair.

“Thank you,” he softly stated, pulling out of her embrace to look down at her, “Cameron told me how wonderful you were to her, how you didn’t condemn her for the bad choices she’s had to make. She said to tell you thanks.”

“It’s no big deal,” Piper nonchalantly stated, brushing the words off as Justin wiped away the last trace of his tears.

“No, it is. You went to talk to her and comfort her when nobody else would. Especially when you didn’t really like her because of what she tried to do to me,” Justin continued.

“Justin, I was taught to keep an open mind and not judge a book by its cover. It’s no more or less than anybody else would have done,” she protested.

“That’s where you’re wrong Piper. Most people would have just turned the other cheek. But you, you’re so pure, so good to people, so incapable of hurting another,” he rambled, raking a hand through his hair in agitation, “And I honestly don’t know how I’d survive without you. You are my greatest strength, my inspiration, the light in every day.”

“But Justin, you don’t…” she began, but he interrupted.

“No, I’m serious. Ever since we met those months ago, I’ve never been happier than when I’m around you,” he continued, tilting her face up so she was forced to look him in the eye, “Ask anybody who knows me; I was in pretty sad shape when you showed up. And then somehow, someway, you managed to change me, change my attitude, in the span of a week.”

“You’re over-exaggerating,” she scoffed, rolling her eyes.

“No, I’m really not,” he stated, his gaze lowering to her lips for the briefest of seconds, “It’s the honest to god truth. Ask Genevieve, she’s a freakin therapist.”

“Justin, calm down, you’re working yourself up,” Piper soothed, trying to calm her fluttering heart as Justin’s gaze dropped to her lips again, “Come on, let’s go get you a cup of coffee, it should help with the nerves.”

“Piper, this isn’t about my damn mental capacity,” he suddenly growled, annoyed at her lack of self-esteem.

Before she could protest, Justin grabbed her and his lips crashed upon hers. He held her tight, his tongue exploring her mouth as her traitorous body immediately gave in. He groaned deep in his throat, and Piper suddenly panicked.

“No!” she cried, wrenching herself free.

Justin stood there, panting, his jaw hanging slack in shock. Piper glared at him as she crossed her arms over her chest, trying to hide the fact that she was trembling like a leaf. She didn’t want him to know she had enjoyed that kiss; it had happened for the wrong reasons and that made her beyond mad.

“Piper…I…I’m sorry,” Justin mumbled, his cheeks flushing with color, “I just, I mean, I guess I…”

“What Justin? You what?” she demanded, her eyes flashing anger, “Overstepped the boundaries of our friendship? That’s a big hell yeah. How about weren’t using your brain? There you go another strike in your corner."

“Piper…” he began, but she cut him off.

“Damn it Justin, I’ve already gotten my heart broken once, I don’t need it to happen again because you randomly felt the need to kiss somebody. We’re friends Justin, friends! Not lovers, not a couple, not romantically involved in the least,” she yelled, pacing as Justin stood mute, “Your friendship is one of the best I’ve ever had, but if this is the way you’re going to act around me, you mind as well forget it now.”

With that, before she fully broke down in tears, Piper ran down the hallway, not daring to look back. She didn’t want to see Justin’s look of shock and then pity when he realized that she was actually beginning to care for him as the man he was.

“Piper!” Justin yelled, suddenly snapping out of his daze and quickly picking up speed to follow her, “Piper…”

“No Justin, just leave me alone,” Piper called over her shoulder as she anxiously waited on the elevator to transport her to the first floor. She didn’t dare try the stairs; he would catch her for sure.

“Won’t you at least let me talk to you?” he pleaded as he came closer, unaware that the elevator doors had finally opened.

“No,” Piper whispered, stepping into the elevator as she spoke, “I just need to be by myself for a little while. So please, all I ask is that you don’t come after me.”

“Okay,” he dejectedly agreed before she pushed the button and the elevator doors closed, taking her away from him.

Justin slumped against the wall next to the elevator, his mind confused as all hell. In all honesty, he wasn’t all too sure why he had suddenly felt the urge to kiss Piper. He really shouldn’t have.

She truly was one of his best friends, which was a definite rarity in the world he lived in. She was wonderful, beautiful, funny, intelligent, all the things he found appealing in a woman, yet it didn’t explain the kiss. He had plenty of women friends who had the same appealing qualities, but he didn’t go and kiss them!

Damn, he had gotten out of one fix just to fall right into another one. Man, for somebody who was supposedly suave and smart, he sure could act quite stupid.

And now he didn’t have a clue how to go about repairing the damage he had caused in his and Piper’s friendship. Hell, he didn’t even know where she was going. And in his car no less. Ah, what a headache this was all becoming.

“Justin, what’s going on?” Lynn asked, interrupting his thoughts as she laid a hand on his arm a few minutes later; he was still leaning dejectedly against the wall next to the elevators, “Where did Piper go?”

“She’s gone,” he whispered, staring intently at the floor.

“What do you mean she’s gone? Did she have somewhere else to go?” Lynn questioned, confused.

“No, I did something stupid,” Justin stated, eyes shining bright with unshed tears.

“What do you mean?” Lynn prodded, putting an arm around his shoulders for comfort.

“I kissed her,” he breathed. Lynn’s eyes widened and her mouth dropped open in shock.


What's another night all alone
When you're spending every day on your own?

Piper blindly drove through the rush-hour traffic and pulled into the parking lot of the public beach. She jumped out and locked the SUV, swiping unsuccessfully at the salty tears as she shrugged out of her sandals and began to walk barefoot in the cool sand. A walk would clear her head, if nothing else.

I'm just a kid
And life is a nightmare
I'm just a kid
I know that it's not fair

So she walked along, quite alone with only her thoughts to keep her company. And they weren’t making her feel any better. But it wasn’t like she could go back in time and undo that kiss.

That kiss. Ugh. What was she supposed to think about it? She’d be the first to admit that she enjoyed it, probably altogether too much, but that still didn’t make it right.

Justin didn’t care for her in that way, that was obvious. She had clearly read that in his eyes right before the elevator doors had closed. He may have been confused, sad, even angry, but there was no trace of love for her in those cobalt blues.

Which lead her right back to square one, with no explanation and a suffering heart. And she wasn’t even so sure that she could face Justin again. He had read her like a book while she yelled at him, which could only mean he knew of her attraction to him.

He’d be upset. He’d be shocked. He’d be annoyed. He’d definitely freak out and run in the opposite direction. Guys like him just didn’t fall in love with girls five years younger than them. Especially younger girls they considered their best friend.

And maybe when the night is dead
I'll crawl into my bed
Staring at these four walls again

With a sigh, Piper sat on a small outcropping of rocks, content to watch the waves crashing on the beach and the seagulls letting out calls overhead. The sun was beginning to set as the last of the beach-goers left to go home. She was alone again, a human island of her own making.

What the fuck is wrong with me?
Don't fit in with anybody
How did this happen to me?

It was about three hours later that Piper finally realized she’d have to head back. The stars were out, gleaming bright over the water; the moon cast an eerie glow over the landscape. Shivering, she realized how cool it had gotten and quickly got up to head back to the car.

Justin would be worried. Lynn would be worried. Well, everybody would be worried. She had purposely left her cell phone in the car, wanting total solitude so that she could think. Much good that had done her. She was no closer to an answer than when she had first stormed out of the hospital.

Now she had to go back and face the music. By now, everybody was bound to know what had happened between her and Justin and she just wasn’t in the mood for pitying looks or words of encouragement. Now, she just wanted a bed where she could lay her head for the night.

In the morning, she was going home. Yeah, it was stupid and cowardly to just run away from her problems, but she didn’t know what else to do. It seemed like the best, and only, idea that she could come up with without additionally hurting Justin, or having her heart ripped out a little bit more.

Piper turned the keys in the ignition, groaning when she picked up her cell phone. She had nine missed calls, all of which had voicemail messages attached, and she quickly pressed the send button to listen. The first message, not surprisingly, was Justin.

“Hi Piper, um, it’s Justin. I just wanted to say that I’m sorry and that I wasn’t thinking. I knowing kissing you was a bad idea, you’re one of my best friends and I don’t want to jeopardize that in any way. I, uh, I’ll understand if you never want to speak to me again. Although you do have to return my car,” he finished lamely, sadness coloring his tone. Piper frowned.

“Hi Piper, it’s Lynn. I’m just calling to check up on you because Justin said he couldn’t get a hold of you. We’re both worried, so just give me a ring when you get the message. Take care honey.”

Damn, well it wasn’t that surprising that Lynn knew. She had accompanied Justin to the hospital and probably was surprised that she had suddenly disappeared. And she knew for a fact that Justin couldn’t lie to his mother.

“Hey Pip, it’s Genevieve. Justin just told us what happened so I’m just calling to check up and make sure you’re doing okay. Let me know if you want to talk.”

Genevieve knew too? Oh lord, that could only mean that JC knew as well. JC and Genevieve were attached at the hip, so it was only natural to assume the pop star was prone to the same information as his girlfriend.

“Hey Piper, it’s JC. I know Genny already left you a message, but I figured I’d try my luck. Guess you don’t have your phone with you or something. Anyway, just give me a call. I’ll kick Justin’s ass for you, you just need to say the word.”

Piper laughed at that one. JC had become like the older brother she had never had. That extended to watching out for her even when she was thousands of miles away. Not that she didn’t appreciate it; no she was rather grateful to him.

“Hey Piper, it’s Cameron. Well they let me use the phone for a little bit, so I figured I’d call and check up on you. Lynn told me what happened between you and Justin; I don’t really know what to tell you except that Justin doesn’t usually go and kiss girls he doesn’t care about,” the actress revealed, Piper paled at the news, “Anyway, hang in there and give me a call if you want to talk. I owe you after all you’ve done for me today.”

Piper didn’t quite know what to make of that. Cameron had known Justin for the better part of three years, so she obviously knew more about him than she did. But then again, the actress hadn’t been there.

The next three short messages came from Joey, Chris, and Lance, who all somehow had gotten wind of the situation and decided to check on her. She was grateful for their concern, but she was a little annoyed at how easy the news of the altercation had traveled between all the friends.

“Hey Piper, it’s Kelly. I’m sure you’ve already had a bunch of messages from everybody else, so I’ll keep this short. I don’t know how you feel about Justin and I don’t exactly know how he feels about you, but I’ll I’m going to tell you is follow your heart. Trust me. Call me if you need anything,” Joey’s wife concluded.

Tears came to Piper’s eyes. Of all the messages she had received, that had been the most touching by far. And Kelly was definitely right. Her heart would tell her what to do in the end. If only it wasn’t so confused right now.

“H…hey Piper, it’s Virginia,” a shaky voice said, Piper’s attention quickly snapped back to the phone, “I k…know you’re busy helping Justin and Lynn with the wedding and everything, b…but I just wanted to call and t…tell you that Andrew’s been in an accident.” Piper paled at the news. “He’s in a c…coma right now and they’re not s…sure if he’s ever going to wake up. Please, come home. If n…not for Andrew, then for me. I n…need you Piper.”

The message abruptly ended and Piper sat there in shock. Andrew, in a coma? Healthy Andrew sitting in a hospital bed, nothing more than a vegetable? It was hard news for Piper to comprehend, especially after all the drama that had already occurred that day.

Should she go home? She and Andrew weren’t exactly on speaking terms, not since her botched birthday party two months ago. She had yet to forgive him for what he had done to her heart.

But she couldn’t ignore her friend’s pleading. And if Andrew died, she couldn’t live with the fact that she had not apologized and forgiven him. No, she’d have to go home, as soon as possible.

Piper quickly pressed end and began to dial JC and Genevieve’s home number. If she was lucky, they’d be able to get her a flight out tonight. If she was lucky, she’d be able to leave without having to face Justin again.

Chapter End Notes:
Featured song: "I'm Just A Kid" - Simple Plan


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story