Chapter 5 - On Vacation

Okay, okay, okay. Yes, this is when Justin and Piper finally meet. Not trying to spoil anything for you, but I figured I’d put it in plain English so nobody gets confused (even though you’re bound to get lost eventually).

Anyway, I know you’re thinking they’re gonna bump into each other in California, fall in love, and everything is going to be all peachy from then on, right? I wish things had worked out that well, but we can’t always get what we wish for. And in this case, I definitely didn’t. Oh no, things with Piper and Justin are never easy.

To put things in perspective for you, Piper and Justin are complete opposites. Justin likes music, Piper could care less. Photography is Piper’s life; Justin doesn’t have the slightest clue about it. Justin can be a very outspoken and vocal person while Piper is shy, reserved and would gladly give up the spotlight to somebody else.

You can see where this is going.

But then again, as they always say, opposites attract. And in this case, that actually became a proven fact.


March 4, 2005 – California

Piper breathed in the sweet ocean air, grinning as her hair billowed freely in the breeze. They had finally landed and were on their way to Rae’s aunt’s house, riding in a Sebring convertible that Rae had somehow convinced them to rent. Piper was glad she had given in.

She gazed around in awe as the glory of California sped past, glittering and alluring. She was a tourist and damn if she wasn’t going to act like one. She couldn’t care less.

“Are we almost there?” Virginia suddenly whined, snapping Piper out of her daze.

“No, not yet,” Rae replied, rolling her eyes, “Now shut up or I promise I’ll get you some cheese to go with that whine.”

“Haha, very funny,” Virginia said, playfully punching her friend in the arm, “I’m just excited to see some hot boys, ya know?”

“No, not really,” Rae deadpanned, unable to keep a grin from her face.

“Whatever,” Virginia grumbled.

“Hey, what’s the name of the city where your aunt lives anyway?” Piper suddenly questioned, leaning forward as she had been forced to ride in back, “It’s on the coast, right?”

“Huntington Beach,” Rae explained, “It’s actually quite a big city for being on the coast of California. Got about 200,000 people last time I visited, which was over the summer.”

“Okay, okay, enough with the history lesson, tell me about the entertainment,” Virginia broke in, unable to stay out of the conversation.

“That wasn’t exactly a history lesson V,” Piper wryly commented, “And can’t you think of anything besides hot Cali boys and all the glorious shopping centers?”

“Well, when you put it that way, no,” Virginia shot back, grinning, “I’m here purely for enjoyment, not to take pictures like you losers.”

“You’re just upset because we’re going to leave you at Michigan State next year,” Rae confidently stated, “You’re going to be all by your lonesome self.”

“Shut up. I don’t want to think about it,” Virginia replied, suddenly depressed at the thought. Secretly, she was hoping that her two friends wouldn’t get the scholarships and the three of them would continue their remaining three years at MSU.

“Hey, there’s no saying we’re going to get in,” Piper protested, chewing her lip in thought, “They’re accepting three applications and there are over a dozen applicants. Who’s to say that three other people won’t get those scholarships?”

“Because I know you Piper. You’ve got incredible talent that any idiot can recognize by one glance at your work,” Rae said, shooting Piper a smile, “Don’t be so hard on yourself Pip, you’ve got it in the bag, no question about it.”

Piper sat silent, not knowing exactly how to respond. It was true, she wasn’t exactly that confident about her work, but then again, she had never had all that much praise over completed projects. Her parents didn’t understand photography (though they always told her everything was “beautiful”); all teachers, past and present, didn’t seem to understand her photography style, and most of her friends thought it was just a hobby.

Well, she’d prove them wrong. She would get that scholarship, whether she had the confidence or not. It was the least she could do to boost her self-esteem and take a step towards her ultimate goal.


March 4, 2005 – California

“What do you mean you’re coming with me?” Justin protested, glancing back and forth between Genevieve and JC.

“Exactly what I said I meant. You shouldn’t be by yourself right now, so we’re taking a vacation with you,” Genevieve stated, impatiently tapping her foot.

“We’ll stay in the guesthouse so you won’t even know we’re there,” JC added, crossing his arms as if daring Justin to argue.

“Fuck, I’m not a little kid,” Justin whined, pacing, “I’m quite capable of taking care of myself and have been for a long time. Just because my life isn’t perfect like yours doesn’t mean I need a damn babysitter.”

“Justin, nobody’s life is perfect, you know that,” Genny soothed, placing a hand on the young man’s shoulder, “Especially when it comes to JC and I. Hell, I was his freakin therapist before we actually started dating. That’s some messed up shit if there ever was any, and don’t you dare try to say otherwise.”

“Sorry,” Justin mumbled, running a hand through his hair, “I’m just stressed and I would have preferred some time by myself to just think.”

“Thinking is bad for your health J,” JC informed his friend, cracking a grin.

“Yeah, about as bad for my health as that idiotic hair-do you’re sporting these days,” Justin shot back. Genny laughed at the stricken expression on her boyfriend’s face.

“So are we getting out of here or are we going to throw sarcastic comments at each other all day?” Genny questioned, glancing longingly at the front door, “I’m looking forward to getting some sun before I completely turn into an albino.”

“You’re not an albino,” JC stated, pulling her into his arms and kissing down her neck, “You’re quite beautiful if you ask me.”

“You’re completely biased because I’m you’re girlfriend,” Genny breathily replied. she let out a little moan and Justin thought he was going to die from embarrassment – he didn’t want to witness this even if he was paid a million dollars to do so.

“Not to interrupt your little love fest or anything, but let’s get the hell out of here,” Justin said, rocking back and forth on his heels, “But I’m riding by myself so I don’t have to listen to you two make out while I’m driving.”

“We don’t make out…” JC trailed off, cheeks suddenly becoming pink as he realized what he had just been doing in front of his friend.

“Don’t even try to argue Josh, he’s got a point ya know,” Genny piped up, ruffling her boyfriend’s hair. He glared at her.

“You’re not supposed to take his side,” the older man huffed as they walked towards their cars, “How many times do I have to remind you that you’re my girlfriend.”

“Oh, I dunno, at least a hundred a day,” Genny replied offhandedly. JC almost choked at her words.

“Brat,” he teased her good-naturedly.

“Jerk,” she shot back.

“Okay, we’ve established that you’re a brat and JC’s a jerk,” Justin announced, throwing a friendly arm around Genny’s shoulders, “Now let’s get on the road so we get there before dark.”

“Yes sir,” JC saluted the younger man. Justin rolled his eyes and climbed into his car, not caring to comment.

The two cars pulled out of the driveway and were soon on their way to Justin’s beach house located a couple hours away in Huntington Beach, California. Justin sang along with the radio, cursing Lance for the day he had introduced him to country music. He was starting to become addicted and that was a terrible blow to his reputation.

“…cause when it all comes down, I’m feeling like I’ll never last, I just lean on you, cause baby you’re my better half,” Justin sang, bopping his head to the beat. Damn Keith Urban and his catchy songs.

The sudden ring of his cell phone snapped Justin out of his somewhat daydreaming state. He glanced down, and not recognizing the number, decided to pick up anyway.

“Hello?”

“Hi Justin.”

Justin felt his blood grow cold and his good mood go flying out the car window. What the hell did Cameron want now? And how had she gotten his cell number? He had changed it almost immediately after they had broken things off all those months ago. Sneaky bitch.

“What do you want Cameron?” he demanded, frowning.

“Geeze, I thought you’d be a little more cordial to me seeing as though our breakup was a mutual thing,” Cameron stated in a soothing voice.

“Cameron, don’t start with me on this again,” Justin growled, fully annoyed by that point, “I told you that I had a problem trying to be your friend after our relationship dissolved. That includes you calling me, which, by the way, how the hell did you get this number?”

“Calm down J…”

“Don’t you fucking tell me to calm down,” Justin snapped as he tightly gripped the steering wheel with his free hand, “There was a reason I had my phone numbers changed.”

“Justin, just shut up for one second,” Cameron yelled, much to his shock.

“Alright, fine. Say what you have to say and be quick about it,” he gritted through his teeth.

“I just want to apologize for everything that happened between us. I was wrong to try and force you into marriage when you obviously weren’t ready; I hope you can forgive me,” she stated in one breath, “I was hoping that maybe we could get together for coffee or something in the next couple days just to, you know, reminisce and talk things over again.”

“Cameron…” Justin began, agitated, “I told you that there was no way that we’d be able to work things out. Not after all the shit you tried to pull with pretending to be pregnant and everything. You lied to me and I hate liars, you know that. I’m sorry, but I can’t.”

Justin took a deep breath as he finished, glad he was able to get his point across so well without yelling. He was surprised to hear Cameron crying on the other end.

“You’re such a bastard Justin,” she screamed, sobbing, “I love you, I really do. I wish you would stop denying me and just come back. You know we’re meant to be together.”

“Who the hell says we’re meant to be together? You? Or are you just saying that because you can’t get any other guy to fall for your lies?” he accused, frowning to himself.

“Fuck you Justin!” she spat before the line went dead.

“Yeah, nice talking to you too,” he softly stated.

He flipped the phone shut and tossed it into the passenger seat, thoroughly disgusted with the entire conversation. That was a terrible way to start off a vacation if there ever was any.

She hadn’t changed. Not in the year they had been apart. Oh no, she was still on her power trip of “having” to get married because she was “running out of time”. He didn’t quite understand if truth be told. His parents had gotten divorced and both had remarried and they hadn’t been all that young at the time.

His bad mood continued to turn even sourer as the miles passed by and he came closer to his destination. Thoughts he never imagined to run thorough his mind again came back like a ghost, haunting him.

By the time he pulled his car up the driveway, he was entirely pissed off and knew that he had to get away. If he so much as tried to talk to JC or Genevieve, he’d bite their heads off. Besides, he wasn’t in the mood for JC’s pitying looks or Genevieve overanalyzing the situation.

Justin glanced quickly around at his surroundings, breathing in the ocean scent that was all too familiar. God he missed this place. It had to have been over a year since his last visit, which was all too long.

A winding driveway, overhung with ancient trees, led up to a three-car garage that was rarely ever filled. The house was quite simple looking from the outside, just a basic white beach house. It was two-story white stucco with pale yellow shutters and an adobe-like roof, sprawling on two acres of land that was afforded a great deal of privacy with the surrounding flora of tall palm trees and giant oaks. The lawn was perfectly manicured, the flowerbeds filled with beautiful plants and flowers that Justin couldn’t name for the life of him.

A rock path led from the side of the garage to the backyard, and after taking note that JC and Genevieve had yet to arrive, Justin quickly walked along, anticipating the first view of the ocean. He almost stumbled in his excitement, but at last, he stood there, staring, forgetting how beautiful this place actually was.

The backyard opened wide, a long stretch of green bordered on the left and right by ancient willows, and in the back by a patio and swimming pool that framed the rear of the house. The small guest house stood at the very right edge of the property, windows shining cheerily in the late afternoon sun. But he ignored all that and stared straight ahead, beyond the end of the grass, down the rocky path haphazardly trailing its way to his private beach.

A sort of peace filled him as the silence filled his ears, the lone cry of a gull the only sound breaking the beautiful reverie. This is what he needed, a place to escape from reality, just for a few days.

He sighed, content as he rocked back and forth on his heels. He didn’t hear JC and Genevieve approach until they were practically right beside him.

“Oh my god, how beautiful is that. Justin look at that…” Genevieve began, trailing off as she noticed the dark look on the younger man’s face that never boded anything good.

“I’m going for a walk, I’ll be back in a bit,” Justin ground out before she or JC could get a word in edgewise.

“Okay, we’ll make some lunch then,” JC stated, refraining from saying anything as Genevieve gave him “the look”, “You better get your ass back here in an hour, though, cause we’re not waiting any longer than that.”

“Deal,” Justin agreed.

Without another word, he took off down the beach at a vigorous pace, hands shoved deep into his pockets. He needed a peaceful place just to forget about everything and get rid of all the tension. The lonesome, deserted beach seemed like the perfect place to do just that.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story