Chapter 3 - The First Raid

Two weeks had passed and Kalinna was quickly becoming used to her daily routine. She would get up early in the morning to help Trenton with breakfast, then spend an hour or two telling the man some of the stories she had read in the books of her childhood. After that, she and Justin would take some time going over papers before she headed topside to join the rest of the crew. A few hours were then spent helping the crew with the sails, as she had quickly learned how to climb and all the crew members seemed to appreciate her agility on the rigging. And of course, she then proceeded with teaching two of the crew members the swordplay that had got her on the ship in the first place.

As the end of the day neared, she would help Trenton once again, with the dinner and enjoyed spending the evening meal with the crew. Afterwards, she helped Justin, whom she was quickly growing fond of, a little more, before heading off to bed. There, she would read a passage or two of her mother’s diary or the bible before writing in her journal and finally, falling asleep.

Then, the routine would start all over again the next morning. Kalinna loved it. When she had been home, she had been allowed to sleep as late as she wanted and had never been asked to perform any type of task unless it was ordering the servants around. That got dull fast. But sailing on this ship with the crew was never dull.

Now, however, she was terrified. The crew was planning on raiding a merchant vessel that was on its way from the London docks and traveling to France. Kalinna had never seen a pirate attack before and she wasn’t sure if she wanted to start now. But she had a feeling that the captain would want her sword arm in the fray.

She was part of their family now. It was something that she had wished for that first day onboard the ship, and now that she had it, she knew she couldn’t let any of the crew down. They all doted on her, just as she cared immensely for all of them. Therefore, she couldn’t let them down now.

But she was afraid that they would find out her secret. She had never killed a man before, and she definitely didn’t want to start now. But there was no way Justin, Jackson, or any of the other crew members were going to let her hide in her cabin. Maybe, though, the captain would be more understanding if she went and talked to him.

So that’s where she stood, in front of the door to Justin’s cabin, rubbing her sweaty palm on the legs of her breeches. She hesitantly knocked, her nerves quaking and making her a little sick to her stomach. She was incapable of killing a man, so she didn’t know how much use she’d be to the captain and crew; but there was no way she was going to reveal her weakness now. Not after she had made it this far on her own.

“Come in,” Justin suddenly called and she quickly entered the chamber.

If she was surprised at the captain’s bedraggled appearance, she made no comment. After all, he liked to dress in fine clothes, but who could take a pirate seriously when he looked more like a duke than an evil plunderer?

“How much longer?” she questioned as she plopped down in a chair at his table; captain and cabin boy had bonded over the past two weeks and were quite comfortable around each other.

“Not long. Why, are you eager to test that new sword of your’s?” Justin questioned, gazing in her direction as he tied a bandana around his head. The captain had found her a sword of her own and she was eternally grateful.

“Of course I am, it’s just…” Kalinna trailed off, wondering if the man would laugh if she told him that she had never killed a man before.

“What is it? Just spit it out Kip, I’m not going to bite,” Justin teased, giving her his trademark boyish grin.

“I’ve never killed a man before,” she blurted, blushing. She hadn’t come there to tell him that. Not at all.

“You’re only fourteen, I would hope not,” he commented, then sat down across the table from her, “Don’t worry, we don’t kill unless somebody tries to kill us. We’re just in it for the loot.” Kalinna breathed a silent sigh of relief.

“Okay,” she said.

“Lighten up Kip, everything is going to be fine,” he assured her as he gave her a friendly pat on the back, “Now you better go see what Jackson is up to; I haven’t heard a thing from him since earlier this morning and there’s no telling what trouble he’s got himself into.”

“Aye captain,” she responded as she got up and made her way out of the cabin. She almost laughed; Jackson was probably the most serious crew member aboard and hardly got into a heated discussion, much less trouble.

But putting that thought aside, she thought instead of Justin’s words to her. She was amazed how kind and understanding the pirate captain was being towards her. It was enough to make her toes curl inside her shoes.

Then again, she was also surprised at his comments. What kind of evil pirate plundered a ship and didn’t kill anybody? It seemed rather odd to her, but what did she know? Absolutely nothing, that’s what.

Maybe the captain didn’t have the stomach for killing a man, just like her. Or maybe they got more amusement out of taking everything from the ship and leaving the people onboard with nothing. She didn’t know, and she definitely wasn’t going to question. It was not her place to demand an explanation.

“Hey kid, you ready for this?” Jackson questioned as Kalinna made her way to the helm where the burly first mate was steering the ship’s wheel.

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” Kalinna replied as she lounged against the railing and gazed off into the distance. The small outline of a ship was on the horizon and Kalinna knew deep down in her gut that this was their target. Her nerves started dancing a tango, but she was careful to keep her emotions from her face, a trade she had picked up from the ever stoic Jackson.

“I bet you’re eager to use that new sword ‘o your’s, eh?” the big man continued as he gazed in her direction, “You’ve been practicing up a storm late at night.”

“Thought I’d better hone up my skills before the big battle,” she told him.

“You’re the last person that needs to practice your swordplay,” Jackson told her with a shake of his head, “Why, me thinks that you could probably beat the captain if he ever got his sissy butt out ‘o that cabin.”

“Who you calling sissy?” the captain’s voice suddenly called as he joined the two of them at the helm.

“You,” Jackson replied with a snort of laughter, “Kip here has beaten the likes of every member of this crew, including me, and has yet to lay swords against you. I think you’re too scared.”

“Too scared, eh? Mayhap the lad is just afraid that he’ll do me some damage. I am the captain after all,” Justin stated, his eyes twinkling with mirth.

“Captain or not, I can still whip you at swordplay,” Kalinna boldly stated.

“We’ll have to see about that sometime,” Justin responded, nodding is head as an acceptance to the challenge, “But for now, we’ve got a ship to plunder.”

Kalinna glanced towards the horizon, and in the fading light of the day, noticed that they were almost upon the merchant vessel. Well, now she was going to see how much of a pirate she had truly become.

“Prepare to board!” Justin called above the din of the gulls and the terrified cries of the people aboard the other ship.

The men seemed to come from nowhere. As they pulled up beside the shipping craft, some of the crew swung over from ropes, and some just jumped the short distance from the Christina to the other vessel. Jackson handed the wheel to second mate Tom Larkins as he and Kalinna followed after Justin.

“Lay down your arms and we won’t harm anybody,” Justin’s voice boomed.

The crew of the other ship did as they were told and Kalinna soon found herself swinging from a rope to the other ship, a feat that one of the crew members had taught to her. She landed on her feet with a soft thud and turned to Justin for orders.

“You stay here with Jackson and guard the crew while I go below with the rest of our men,” Justin stated as he noticed her questioning look.

“Okay,” she agreed as she brandished her weapon and pointed it towards the shipping vessel’s crew. She noticed one of the men smirking at her and immediately sent him a deathly glare.

“The pirate left a kid to guard us,” the man suddenly scoffed as soon as Justin and the rest of the men had disappeared in search of the loot, “He’s either more stupid than I thought or just puts too much confidence in his little cabin boy.”

“Care to have a go?” Kalinna challenged, angered at the slandering of her captain’s name, “I assure you, sir, that I am quite qualified to handle this weapon.”

“Oh, and he speaks well too. What ye be doin’ with the like ‘o the pirate captain laddy?” the man taunted, “Shouldn’t ye be at home with yer ma and pa learning scholarly things?”

“Jackson?” Kalinna asked, turning a questioning gaze in the direction of the beefy man.

“Be my guest kid. I don’t think Justin won’t take no mind to a little swordplay as long as you don’t hurt the man,” Jackson responded, his eyes twinkling with mirth.

Kalinna quickly pulled her sword out and got ready to do battle with this filthy man. The adrenaline rushed through her veins as she waited for the man to pick up his weapon.


Below decks, Justin wasn’t having much luck. The ship was filled to capacity with fine goods. There were crates of spices, exported fruits and vegetables, bolts of fine cloth, and a number of scientific looking gadgets. Nothing to suggest a traitorous plan.

Sighing, Justin made for the captain’s quarters, hoping that he’d find something useful there. He was getting tired of boarding ships only to discover that there was no connection at all to the traitorous plot of the French. He needed a break and soon.

Upon entering the room, he wrinkled his nose. The man obviously didn’t take great pride in his ship for the room was a mess and smelled rancid. But shrugging that aside, Justin proceeded to turn the room upside down.

Nothing but parchments and letters detailing what kinds of goods were aboard the ship. He turned over chest after chest, and raided the cabinets to no avail. Was there nothing aboard this ship as well? This would take his count up to thirty vessels that were clean.

Finally, just when he thought there was nothing useful, he opened one last drawer of the captain’s desk and came upon a small chest. He pulled it out and was shocked when he opened it.

The Wickham emeralds? What was this ship doing with these? As far as he knew, the prominent family had not reported the jewels missing, but then again, they had been out to sea for over two weeks. He’d have to make inquiries once they stopped in Port Chamblay later that night.

The Wickham’s were a very influential family in the English court. They were the family who held the Dukedom of Barclay; his mother knew of them well because the present duke, Colin Wickham, had two daughters of marrying age. But that didn’t explain why the emeralds, which had been in their family for years, were on their way to France.

He’d have to dispatch a letter to Benton Lancaster as soon as he stepped foot in Port Chamblay. He had a sinking feeling that somehow these jewels, and the Wickham family, were connected to the traitorous plot to aide the French.

So he tucked the chest under his arm for safekeeping and headed back topside. It was time for them to get out of there before the vessel’s crew got too restless and tried to fight back.

As he reached the open air, he was surprised, however, to see Kip engaging in swordplay with one of the crew members of the merchant vessel. Amused, he watched the whole scene unfold, knowing full well that his well-trained cabin boy could hold his own against this burly sailor.

“Hurt me? Hardly,” the crew member scoffed at Kalinna as he picked up a sword and faced her, anger and cockiness relayed in his stance, “C’mon kid, let’s see what ye got.”

With that, the man charged at Kalinna, sword raised to attack. She quickly rolled out of the way and regained her feet just as the man came at her again. Their swords clashed, glinting off the light of the fading day, and Kalinna was quick to disengage and twirl away.

In terms of arm strength, she was no match for the brute, but as far as sword skill went, she had the upper hand. So she would play with her strengths and not allow the man to determine her weakness.

She went for the man, parrying, blocking, parrying again. Their swords clashed again and again; she was so intent on the battle that she didn’t notice Justin’s return from below decks, a small chest in his hands.

She swung at the man, and his sword suddenly went clattering to the deck. Before he could move to grab it, she kicked the man’s legs out from underneath him. He lay on his back, a shocked expression on his face as he stared down the blade of her sword.

“Care to go again?” she demanded in a cold tone, “Or have you had enough?”

“You’re a devil with a sword,” the man growled as he limped back to join his comrades with a sore back and bruised pride.

“I’ll take that as a compliment kind sir,” Kalinna scoffed, giving the man a short bow as a grin graced her lips. Her opponent scowled at her lofty attitude.

“I see you kept yourself busy while I was gone,” Justin suddenly called out as he ambled over.

“He was asking for it,” Kalinna supplied with a nonchalant shrug of her shoulders.

Truth be told, she was afraid Justin would be angry with her. He had told her just to guard the men, not to fight with them. But the man had done nothing but insult her and the captain, and she couldn’t let him get away with that.

“I’m sure he deserved a little comeuppance,” Justin agreed with a grin, turning his gaze to Jackson.

“Hey, don’t look at me, that piece ‘o trash was slandering your name. The kid just reacted ‘fore I did,” Jackson stated.

“Well then, glad to know my good name is still intact. But we’d best not tarry any longer. Let’s get out of here,” Justin stated as he turned to the crew, “Much obliged to you kind gentlemen.”

“Rot in hell pirate scum!” one of the men yelled and Justin just grinned.

“Many thanks for the wonderful compliments,” he called before jumping back onto the Christina, the small chest clutched in his arms.

“You’re all going to pay one day,” another crew member called as Kalinna and Jackson turned to follow.

“My sword will meet your’s any day,” Kalinna replied, giving them all a mock bow before she joined the rest of the crew back on the Christina.

She quickly walked towards the ship’s wheel as they left the merchant vessel behind. Jackson silently stood manning the wheel; the captain had already disappeared down to his cabin. She stood there, staring out onto the horizon for a few minutes before Jackson spoke up.

“You did well kid,” he gruffly stated as he turned the wheel a little to the left, “Made me and the captain right proud, that ye did.”

“Thanks,” Kalinna stated as she sheathed her sword and lounged against the railing, “Where are we headed to next.”

“To port. We need to restock supplies,” Jackson explained.

“We’re going all the way back to London?” Kalinna questioned, surprised. They were hundreds of miles out to sea and going back to London to dock would take at least another week.

“No kid, we’re going to Port Chamblay,” Jackson said, grinning, “Rowdiest pirate cove for miles around here. You’ll like it.”

“Oh,” was all Kalinna could say.

An all pirate port? Lord, she was excited to see what new adventures this would bring. She was used to all the crew members, but now she was going to get to meet other pirates. Maybe even have her first drink of liquor.

Her father had never allowed her to drink any sort of alcohol besides champagne. He said that anything else would make her woozy in the head and he couldn’t have her embarrassing him.

Of course, he didn’t realize that she never got light-headed or dizzy. She was one who could hold her liquor really well, but her father didn’t seem to understand. But it didn’t matter now. He wouldn’t be there telling her not to drink anything. Nope, she was going to break every rule her father had made for her if she could.

Port Chamblay seemed just the place to do it.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story