Story Notes:
Used to be a collabo but its now just me (Audrey).

URS

“Lets just go.” The words slipped from my mouth so freely that I didn't even know what I was saying. The prospect of being away from all the pain was just enough to make the craziest idea possible. My best friend was the only one that could understand, she was the only one that knew what it was like; she was the only one I’d want with me.

“Now your talking crazy, Bailey.”

“No, I'm just seeing things clearly now.” The two of us were walking slowly by a small dock, just allowing the sound of the ocean to calm us. It was a daily ritual that usually worked and allowed us to endure another day of pain. “You said it yourself, neither of us are going to survive if we stay here much longer.”

“Have you even thought any of this through? Where are we going and with what money?” She always had to be the logical one, I was left with my own mangled thoughts.

"Well, there's nothing for us here. I can't wait around for something to happen. The longer we stay, the harder its going to be." I threw a rock absentmindedly into the ocean, part of my anger coming through.

"But Bailey, we have no plan. We're just going to up and leave, with nothing?" As much as I hated talking about this to the hilt, she had me there.

I had this habit of not thinking things through. I just wanted to start over. Have a chance at deciding my life for once. We have to be into this together. I won't half ass it on my own. No fucking way.

"No, it won't be like that. I'm trying my best to think of something. Just the possibilities are endless. Do you know how much better it would be for the both of us once we do this? My brain is just dying here, I don't know about you Maddy." I kicked at the bench and sat down.

She sighed and came around me. I had this feeling that she was going to worry about every little thing. I love her as my sister but all we've been doing is just talking. I just don't want to end up alone.

"Bailey, we don't know everything yet. I'm just really uncomfortable. I wanna be free just the same, we have to come up with something so we're not lost is all. You know what I mean?" She touched my shoulder.

"I know, I just want to do something. Anywhere is better now. If only I had family to rely on, this wouldn't be such a challenge."

She sighed heavily, "We've been through so much together, I have feeling we can survive this. We just need some time Bailey."

I shifted in my position. I thought about what she said, I really put so much into this. So much of my life has just been consumed with escaping and just picturing the world would finally be as it should.

Okay, so maybe it was slightly selfish of me to drag Madison along on this crazy ride, but I needed to save her too. She wouldn't survive on her own, actually, I wouldn't either. I guess I just have a little more strength for being able to admit that.

“We don’t have any more time. I know that I for one am terrified of even going home anymore. How much longer is it going to be before we’re killed? Or how about this? One of us finally gets the guts to just end it…”

“Don’t say that…things are going to get better… they just have to…” Tears splashed down from Madison's green eyes and I already felt my heartbreak for how strongly I was speaking to her. I guess it was just my own impatience wearing me down.

We both had hard lives; I guess that's how we became friends. Madison and I just seemed to click because of how much shit we both endured. It wasn't fair and I was the one always questioning it, and trying to keep strong.

Lately, I wasn't sure how much longer I could stay that way. I was slowly breaking and sometimes, I just felt like I was drowning. Life would just become too much to bare. I needed out and so did Madison.

“You're right…” Madison looked at me suddenly. She got up from the bench that the two of us had taken a seat on and stared at me resolved. “I'm with you… “

I smiled, inside and out, "I wouldn't have it any other way. Let's brainstorm over someplace quiet?"

"Starbucks anyone?" She stuck out her tongue.

I nodded, "Something strong. I wanna be awake at all times now. Let's not go to the one with the tables. I prefer the couches."

I knew it was stupid to complain about the comfort but I needed all the comfort I could get. Besides, I always hated those Starbucks with just the tables.

I got up and joined her as we walked to the streetlight and I pushed the button, folding my arms as the cold wind hit me with a force.

"How are we going to get the money? I only wish there was an easy way to get a loan from somebody."

The walk signal show and we started walking but suddenly bounced back as a red jaguar screeched their tires past us without warning. "Fucking aye. What the shit?"

I looked over at Madison and she was just a shaken up. Some people. Man, if we wanted to pull this off, we had to really stick together. But I got the plate just in case.

"Did you catch his license plate? We could report him." We started walking again. I continued with uneasy legs.

"Yeah, I got it. But its not worth it. Thank god we paid attention this time. I'd rather focus and not wast time." I took Madison's hand and we finished walking across.

"God damn it. It just makes me mad sometimes that people like that get away with that shit. The police station is around the corner, its not too late."

I shook my head, rolled my eyes, and pulled open the door for us. She stepped inside before me. "I'll think about it. Right now, I just need to figure some other things out. We have to stick together on this like crazy."

We walked into the ever crowded Starbucks where the same type of people who tortured my existence all congregated. If it wasn’t for how amazing that damn coffee was, I wouldn’t be caught dead in there.

“A tall caramel macchiato.” Madison was so typical. She had to have everything in a certain way, the total opposite of me. I welcome change, I strive to be different and I’m just the type of girl that just thinks everyone should go fuck themselves.

That’s totally harsh sounding, but it’s the truth. I’ve come to find that you really can’t rely on anyone in this world. People are forever changing, while I just stay the same; I mean I mature but I stay true to the person I am. Madison is the only person that I can rely on; she’s the only person that’s ever been real.

“Uh, venti caramel frap.” I stated, almost snottily to the man behind the counter. I don’t think I’m better than anyone else, it’s just that I guess I’m a little afraid to let people get close. It’s happened so much that I just can’t handle much more of it.

All this because of a nerdy Starbucks employee. Wow, I really think too much.

“Are we in another world today?” I turned my attention towards Madison who was just as spaced out as I was. Lucky for me, I don’t stare into space like she does when I’m doing this.

“Oh sorry… I’m just trying to figure something out…”

I frowned slightly, wishing she would just accept things. “But I thought you were going to just go with the flow?”

“I never said that, Bail… I just… I don’t want us to get in over our heads.” Madison was trying to be protective; it annoyed me yet soothed me at the same time. She would always stick around to try and save me, she would be the one to think of a solution when shit went wrong.

She’d definitely never change. Madison would always be neurotic… but in a good way.

“So then what do you suggest we do?” We sat down on the most comfortable couch in that Starbucks. That had to have been my favorite seat; a perfect view of a tiny park, one of the few natural reserves in LA. It was peaceful and just felt like home. I guess that’s what I wanted, a little piece of serenity to go home to at night.

Wanting to feel safe isn’t a bad thing.

“I think we have to wait for the perfect opportunity. I mean, we need money, right? So we have to get that… we have to find a place…and we have to make sure that no one knows where we are going. If we are going to do this, we have to do it right.”

She had me there. Doing this right was the only way we could actually get out of this fucked up life. Excitement couldn’t even begin to explain the multitude of emotions that I was feeling. Madison was right; I guess her planning things was actually turning out to be helpful.

“Sounds complicated and kind of time consuming.” I said softly.

Madison matched my look. We were scared, at least one thing was certain.

"It's the way it has to be. We need structure. Come on, let's go through the places. What could we afford fundamentally?" Madison grabbed the napkin and made 2 columns on the back.

"Anywhere. But what you had mentioned before was good. What about Salem? It's quiet and I've always wanted to go to Mass." I stirred my whipped cream inside my drink and took out the straw, sucking on the bottom.

"Alright, the city or suburbs?"

"Depends, although the city hasn't worked out before. We need something inconspicuous, you know? A place where no one will find us. I don't wanna even think about what they could do." I hung my head low.

The thoughts of those memories were scratching at me like I was a cat's post. Time was running out and so was my patience. I looked at Madison, writing down something as if it was the only way that could save us.

"Its getting hard for me too, but I don't wanna give up. I don't want to go back to that life, it has be a new start. We have to focus and try not to be distracted." As always, she's the wikipedia of advice.

I sat up a little straighter, willing my thoughts and mind muscles to cooperate with me, "OK, I think we have a chance in Salem. How much money do we have left?"

Madison pulled out her planner and checked her notes. Her face gave a sullen expression. "My last pay check was good, so as far as tickets go, we're OK..."

She trailed off, it was worrying me. I wanted her to continue. "And, what's left after that?"

She sighed, than looked at me, "$100. Its not fair but I figure when we arrive there, you know, we'll be able to find jobs and well..."

Not again. "Where are we going to stay?"

I hated asking her all these questions, like she was supposed to have all the answers and I was the slutty cheerleader with the big boobs. Well, she had me over in that department. I waited my whole life to develop and the only thing that grew were my feet. I looked like I was walking in canoes as a child.

"I don't know. And we don't know anyone in Salem. Maybe we could arrange something somewhere. But we don't know where to go for that. I'll look up something. Maybe there's a tourist site or something. Although, they probably won't let us stay there. It's can't be like the people here.”

I didn't say anything. I knew I wasn't the smart one here. I didn't want her to do all the talking but I was really stumped.

"Maybe we could pretend to know someone there and make up some story. I'm sure they'll buy it. They're pretty dim in the north east. But at least they're nice."

I just wanted to scream. Just break out and not feel so trapped. Normally in these situations I would cruise out the boulevard at my usual spots. I was careful, not to worry. I missed things like that. Just having fun when I wasn't at home. Not wasting my days worrying when my number's going to be up. I hated this life.

"If we just pack a few things and leave, do you think we'll figure something out on the way? As much as I just want to get the fuck outta here, I don't wanna sleep on the streets."

I tried not to forget that part. She knew I've grown from everything I've been through and I was mature enough finally to understand being serious when I needed to be.

Now of all times, these fucking teenagers with daddy's money dripping all over them come stampeding like a hord of whores through the door. Of all times, why now?

I stood up and threw my cup away, re-adjusting my outfit. "I forget about the sheep. Wanna get outta here?"

Madison was writing something down kind of quickly and looked up as she stood from where she was. I raised an eyebrow, curious. "What did you just write down?"

She threw her drink away and folded the napkin, placing it into her purse bag, "Writing down the itinerary. I have to go look up some things online and find out how much everything is. It's something, Bailey. We're on our way to pure freedom. I could feel it. This is going to be a good change. Our lives are going to be better now. We're in this together. No distractions, no more drama, no abuse. Imagine that?"

She followed me outside as I breathed in the crisp air. It was a sharp tingling inside. I couldn't be bitter. Not now. There was hope in the darkness, I was grateful that I wasn't in the fight alone. If I had, I wouldn't be telling this story.

And that would suck.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story