Author's Chapter Notes:
OK, new chappy. Please review guys!
The morning was slow but we were so ready for this. Imagine not having to worry about living somewhere, not paying the fucking rent, not bothering with the first and end of the month. I could only imagine. Not for long, we're going to do this.

The woman on the phone had told us to come by 1:30pm which is good cause its not too early and not too late. It’s just right. It made me feel a little better. I have this horrible habit of sweating profusely when I know I'm going to fail. So far, I'm good to go. No warnings at the moment.

I didn't want to wear my normal clothes so I opted for a more formal black ensemble. Seemed like a good idea at the time, until I saw that mirror. But I figure taking a picture of it would be worse. Funny how so closely similar they are yet, a picture shows what's really going on. Maybe I'm overstepping it again and I probably don't look all that bad. I figure if I dress like Madison, I'm sure to win this. Madison dresses the like she's always going to work or something. I admire her bravery. She doesn't give herself enough credit for the shit she's been through and it isn't easy taking it in. It was almost like I was going through everything she told me.

I was trying to concentrate on the events ahead but all I kept thinking about was that cafe nerd. Damn. Just damn. You know, I don't have a reputation for fawning over men, to be honest, I'm really shy around the nice ones. Nice is scary though. When a guy is nice, I never know what to think. Well, nice usually means they have something up their sleeve. I figure most men are playing around most of the time and only the older few actually pass for humans.

But man, that guy had my stomach in knots. When I thought about him, I stopped everything I did, I was like a child inside a fantasy. It was pure, being in dreamland. I imagined how he would be. What would happen. I dreamed of him all night. I remember his eyes, the face, the glance, almost like it’d be a crime if anyone had looked his way.

“Are you almost ready?” Madison was practically out the door already. I knew she was nervous but sometimes she made me crazy. I mean I was struggling to be positive myself. It took a lot of strength to not grab her and shake the sense into her.

“Yes. If you would give me 5 minutes and stop pacing the room, maybe I’d be able to finish faster.” I instantly winced after I spoke the words. I hadn’t meant to snap at her. I was just so stressed out from being the strong one.

Madison didn’t say anything to me; she wasn’t the type that would. She keeps her emotions inside her or just plain cries. She turned around and looked out at the now opened door to the hallway.

“Maddy, I’m sorry.”

“Nothing to be sorry about… just hurry.”

I sighed and went about brushing my pin straight brown hair. My thoughts went back to him again. Was he going through a morning routine? Did he have anyone to argue with, like I did? Had a person so beautiful ever known love? Starting to feel almost sad, I knew that I had to stop thinking about the man that was haunting my dreams. I’d never see him again; he would only live on in my dreams.

I pulled the two front strands of my hair back in a clip and decided not to fret about what I was wearing anymore. After all, it was just clothes; I mean I know clothes are supposed to make a big impression, but I think that’s just stupid. Shouldn’t the person make the impression not just the physical?

I walked into the hallway finally and spotted Madison staring dreamy eyed at the back of some guy walking down the hall. She had been acting quite weird since last night. I don’t know. I mean I’m not acting any more normal but still. She was not telling me something.

“Who ya looking at?”

“Oh… that’s just the guy from last night… the one you punched.”

“The rabbit?” I raised an eyebrow at Madison who hadn’t looked once at me. Her eyes were still fixated on the tall man who was getting into the elevator. “Don’t tell me you think he’s hot?”

I was kind of disgusted to tell you the truth. Madison really had picked some winners in her life and this guy was no exception. He was the kind of guy that walked around like he owned the world, I hated people like that. In my eyes, no one was better than anyone else, except for Mariah Carey, she is a god (if there was one), but that’s my opinion I guess.

I don’t know; I guess I always feel like I have to protect Madison. She’s the type of person that just gets hurt so easily. My biggest fear is that she’s going to give her heart away once again and not be able to withstand another let down.

“I don’t know… he just…he’s good looking but I think there’s more to him.”

More to plastic boy? He seemed like he belonged to the male version of Mean Girls. I guess I shouldn’t judge; I really don’t know him, but guys like that just scream who they really are by their actions.

“Doubtful… but whatever you say. It’s not like you’ll ever get the chance to find out.” The words stung, because secretly I was thinking of the guy who I couldn’t get off my mind. It just wasn’t fair that I’d never get to know who he really was. I just had to play this fucking guessing game until I could erase him from my memory.

Yeah, not possible. Someone like that would be forever memorable. The sensitive, clumsy nerd was one of those people that you meet once in a life time; a good soul that wasn’t out to just look out for himself. Okay, this time I’m really going to stop thinking about him, and most importantly, stop imagining how huge he is.

“Yeah… you’re right.” She stared off longingly at the closing elevators. He was gone now, thankfully, not to ever break her heart. It was better off this way.

“Life is just beginning, Maddy. You’ll see. Guys like that aren’t worth you’re time. This job is going to give us the opportunity to just be okay, after that the love life will settle itself.” I placed a hand on Madison’s shoulder. A smile formed her face, like she believed what I was saying. I almost even believed myself. “Now come on, we have to make that interview.”

I was in charge suddenly; it was a weird feeling, a mix of stress and an indescribable need for accomplishment. Things just had to be okay. I had to make them okay. Maddy was too weak to be the leader anymore and no matter how hard she tried to hide everything she was feeling, I knew that suffering was behind every action.

We got into the taxi, idly chatting about how beautiful Salem was in the early afternoon sunshine. It was too... the fall leaves were scattered across the grass, it was something out of a painting. Like how insane is that? I’m in a place where theirs actual grass and flowers? California is entirely made of cement streets, even a tree is scarce. I don’t know, it was just a different, peaceful world here. One I never wanted to leave and never intended to take for granted.

I stared out the window when silence began to envelop us both. So much to process in such a small amount of time. I knew that freaking out wouldn’t help at all; I just had to be all smiles at a time like this. It was the only way I could get through without breaking down. Strength had to become my best friend right now, the only thing I could rely on.

“These houses are gorgeous.” Madison mumbled, her eyes glued to the window. The further the taxi took us, the more extravagant the houses became. I guess this wasn’t going to be your everyday home that we were looking after; this was going to be colossal.

“Oh Maddy, can you imagine living in a house like this? Fuck, we would have it made.” I looked over at Madison and smiled. “We probably are going to live in a house like that. Can you fucking believe it?”

“If we get the-…you know what… fuck it. We will get the job.” Madison smiled at me, for once being as positive as I was so desperately trying to. I nearly had a heart attack. Madison was looking on the bright side?! The apocalypse was coming! “We’re going to be happy.”

“Here we are ladies… 250 Morningside Drive.” The cabby said to us, offering a warm smile.

Yeah, no one in California was that friendly. It made me almost question his motives for a minute, but then I realized I wasn’t in hell and people were actually friendly here. I tried my best to hide the shocked look on my face and handed the driver a 20, which slightly pained me, but he was nice so what the hell did it matter.

I quickly got out of the car and looked over at Madison whose mouth was practically at her feet. I hadn’t bothered to look at the house yet, but when I finally did, I mimicked Madison perfectly. These fucking rich people had the most beautiful home I had ever set eyes on. It was probably about the size of the block I lived on. It should be illegal to have that much money.

I know if I was rich, I wouldn’t be greedy. I’m not just one of those people who is saying things and would do a different thing if given the chance. No one needs THAT much money. I’d settle with being comfortable and then do my best to help other people. No one deserves to be in pain. Well, almost no one.

It was just a minute after until I realized we were standing right in front of our destination. Shit. God damn. I willed my legs to move and they eventually did. I looked over at Madison still gapping at the massive size of the abode. I was on the same page, but we needed this job more than anything. I could almost feel it in my bones.

"I know this is great to look at but imagine living here for 6 months? We better get going Maddy. I really have the best feeling about this."

Man, OK, gotta describe this house. Beige, decorated with floral dreams and steams around the sides. Colorful yet seemed like something out of old Hollywood to me. The front doors were dressed with mosaic prints mixing with textures and loving imagery. It was inviting, I was pulled to it's calling. Begging for me to just take a chance. 

It reminded me of a european church but the shutters gave it something of a film noir vibe. It was in between comforting and dangerous. Gave me chill bumps just imagining the many adventures one could have in this place. Man, we could totally kick back watch DVDs and pig out. What a great 6 months. But it was all fantasy. My mind is too overloaded with them to function. I had to just think in the present.

I looked over at Madison and she looked freaked. I know it probably looked like a castle to her,and maybe it was too big. But it was. And I was just in the same mind. I knew there was a struggle to have everything prefect. But what's perfect if we never try? Sorry for getting a little cliche there but its true.

I softly began to speak, desperately trying to hide my own nervousness. “You ready to go in?”

Madison bit down on her lip and gave me a small nod. I was proud of her honestly; there was a determination behind her fear. She wasn’t going to let anything stop her anymore. My best friend was growing up.

We walked up the gravel driveway, which might I add was longer than necessary. It felt like we were walking at least a mile. Seriously, I understand people wanting a nice winding driveway, but doesn’t it defeat the purpose? I know I’d like to just get the hell in my garage, not just fool around on my property. People are such showoffs sometimes.

After it felt like we've worked up a sweat, I knocked graciously onto the wooden part of the front door and stepped back. I pulled my hair a little bit out of my eyes. I still had this habit of hiding my eyes with my fringe. I know I probably looked like a Goth, with it being dark and straight. I just wanted to really impress them.

60 seconds later but felt a lot longer, someone finally appeared through the transparent mosaic and pulled open the door.

A tiny little Mexican woman dressed in a maid's uniform with a strange looking expression spoke, "Can I help you?"

Madison didn't say anything so I had to find my voice, "Hello, I'm Bailey Roberts and this is my friend, Madison Monaco... We're here for our appointment with Lynda."

I knew I couldn't say much or I'll know I'll be fucked with this whole thing.

The mexican woman narrowed her eyes, "You're are here to see Miss Lynda. I wasn't aware that anyone was coming over today. What is your name?"

I made sure to enunciate every word and syllable, "Bailey Roberts and this is Madison Monaco. We're here for Lynda."

"Lucianna who is it?" A stern woman's voice asked behind the woman.

I peeked a little bit when the maid named Lucianna turned her head around to respond. "I don't know. Were you expecting a Betty or Madisina?"

Suddenly, I sat a little more straighter as a woman dressed to nines, wearing a sheer gray dress with headlights blinding my eyes. Her emerald eyes focused them onto me like I was the one with the answers. I thought Oprah had bigger earings.

"Oh hello? Who are you?" She asked sweetly.

Thank God this one spoke the language. I cleared my throat slightly and started from the short beginning, "Hi, I'm Bailey Roberts and this is my friend Madison Monaco, we're here for the interview with Lynda at 2pm today."

The blonde woman opened the door a little wider and it appeared she was only staring at me. I didn't understand it. She was checking me out a lot. Maybe I had something on my face. I felt up my face slowly and nothing.

I didn't want to be flat out nosey but I had to ask, "Is something wrong?"

She stuttered as she spoke out in a low mangled voice, "I - Bailey? Oh yes, Bailey, and Madison. Come inside, I'm Lynda by the way."

She gave a thousand watt smile and offered her hand right away to me. I took it and looked back at Madison quickly, shrugging my shoulders. I turned back around and walked inside the house. This woman didn't let go I felt like saying something.

I turned around and mouthed to Madison, "What the fuck is going on?"

Madison shrugged at me in response and quickly followed the woman. I almost started to feel odd, like I was missing something. Fear almost made me turn around and run right out the front door. If it wasn’t for Madison, I probably would have run off. I couldn’t desert my best friend now, I had pushed her so we could get out, I couldn’t bail now that the going was getting tough.

“Bailey, come on.” My flaxen haired best friend called to me. I took a deep breath, swallowing my pride and ran after her.

I didn't have time to respond because Lynda had already sat down in the back patio. She didn't let go until I we both sat. I had a lot of questions brewing but I can't mess up these chances. I can't say more than answers, I kept telling myself that.

I felt Madison sit a little closer. Maybe she was coming out of her shell after all.

I watched Lynda take out a piece of paper with handwriting on it. She'd have some major skill reading it though. It looked like Doctor's writing, power to her for reading back her stuff.

Her eyes glanced at the paper in front of her but her head didn't move as her lifted to meet mine. Only mine again. Man, I know this is October but a lot of spooky things have been happening and it isn't the 31st yet.

"OK, now, Bailey... Why are you interested in house-sitting in particular house?" She inquired, dropping her chin onto the corner of her palm.

As much as I wanted to tell the truth, the other truth sounds more appetizing now. "I've actually house-sitted prior back home and it was really enriching. I had learned a lot and when I--we, read the ad you had placed, I really wanted to help out."

I had this habit of overstating my point. I only hope I didn't talk too much.

Lynda nodded her as her response, "What about your friend? Why are you interested in house-sitting?"

I stared behind me and prayed she'd find her voice. I know this had to be hard for her.

She cleared her throat and opened her mouth, "Actually, I've worked with Bailey. We have been partners for quite a while now. I enjoy helping people too."

Yes. I felt like it was a winning response. Least this time, she wasn't stuttering. I get so excited when she gets more confident. Lord knows, I love her dearly, but she's in need of more. Couldn't hurt.

As the interview progressed, the questions had gotten more personal. Like, mostly questions about my mother. Only one thought had come to mind. Evil dressed in human's clothing.

My mother was, well, a lot of time I really did honestly think I was from another family. I know that everyone says that about their own family and I'm not trying to sound like a walking cliché. But it was like she only used me for a punching bag. No one had made me cry so much, so hard. I was held together by my will. Unlike Madison, I got stronger because of it. No one could touch me. No one. She's verbal but that's where it stops. I guess you could say I had it a lot better than Madison. In some ways, but it was still a hard thing to carry around.

This stuff tends to stick in my brain the second it's brought up. I have this habit of regretting the past as soon as I remember everything. Man, I could tell you, I would remember things that happened when I was just 2 years old.

But why did this woman want to know so much about my mother? It was almost if she knew something hidden into the questions that she asked. Was it normal for her to be this prying? Was it protocol, maybe. But I was really beginning to think something was seriously going on. Maybe she's one of those really nosey yuppie rich women who just had to know all.

I don't know. I hoped not. I'd still do business with her regardless. This house was just calling to me. The digs were just breathtaking. Everything. I could write poems on its beauty and probably wouldn't stop. There was a story to tell here, and I just wanted to rip it out. There was so much you could do in this place. I'm seeing it now.

Man, this interview was the longest 15 minutes ever. But it was over now. Finally, I could let the breath that I was holding. There was a lot of waiting around and I also noticed a slightly balding man in a business suit walk down the stairs in a very staccato trot. He was strictly business. Very stuffy Prince Charles like. A very uno-sentenced kind of guy. But he loves his wife, it was obvious.

Seeing that kind of affection makes me a little bitter. OK a lot bitter. It really wasn't fair, but who knows? People aren't always what they seem behind closed doors.

The man turned his head in our direction, his eyes protruding a little unusually. OK, what was going on?

The man walked over to us, his eyes never straying from mine. I tried to break it by averting my eyes the other way. Damn. Nothing was working.

He titled his head down a little, one corners of his wrinkled mouth turned up. He held his hand in front of me kind of awkwardly, "Hello Bailey, I'm James. My wife was telling me about you and your friend."

I'd like to say it was creepy but it sounded pretty sincere. I don't know. I guess as much as I hate to admit it, in the back of my mind, I really don’t trust anyone. 
 
“Oh… it’s very nice to meet you.” I said awkwardly. These people were just staring at me oddly, especially Lynda. I don’t think I ever felt so uncomfortable in my life, since the time I walked in late at my high school graduation and the entire auditorium fell silent and stared at me. Yeah, that was bad.

James finally turned away from me and began to stare intensely at his newest target, Madison. Something about the way he looked at her made me feel uneasy. It was different from the way he looked at me, it was like he was checking her out. Fucking asshole. His wife was right there and he had the gall to go and check out a girl who was old enough to be his daughter? That was just disgusting. 

You must be Madison. It’s really wonderful to meet you.” James took Madison’s hand in his and let his eyes glance up and down her body longer than necessary. 
 
“Nice to meet you too…” Madison pushed a strand of hair behind her ear and averted his gaze. I knew she was definitely feeling as awkward as I was. As long as we got the job, I really didn’t care. 6 months of peace was enough to make up for these few moments of strange. 
 
I looked away from Madison and noticed that Lynda had gotten up and was now at the other end of the room, whispering into her cell phone. I was getting the impression that this woman knew something about me; maybe she knew me some how. 
 
Oh God… maybe she knew my Step-Mother.

“I’m sure you ladies know that if you get the position, there will be certain rules. Like no wild parties of any kind…” James had suddenly forgotten I existed and was busy drooling at Madison. Ew. 
 
“Of course.” I answered, feeling bored. Were we getting this fucking job or not? I really felt like my time was being wasted now. 
 
“You girls seem like nice girls. Lynda and I actually have a son, Justin. He won’t be coming to Europe with us, but once in a while he will be home. Would that be okay with you two?” Why even bother to say “you two”, his question was directed at Madison. 
 
Anyway, what kind of parent leaves their kid for the holidays? Kind of fucked up in my opinion. 

“That’s fine. He probably won’t even notice us. Bailey and I aren’t very loud or anything.”
 
“I’m sure you’re loud when it comes to some things…” 
 
“Okay, sorry girls… I’m back.” Lynda interrupted thankfully. Whatever perverted insinuation James was getting at was suddenly done with. Madison was blushing slightly and staring at the ground. I was almost blushing. What a dirty old man. “Would you girls be able to start right away?”

Yes, of course.” I offered a big smile to Lynda. Was it really possible that we were going to get this job? Fuck man. Our lives were seriously getting better. It pays to be positive sometimes. 
 
“Great. I know this is short notice and all, but we’re going to be leaving tonight. Our maid Lucianna is going to be here, but as you’ve already seen, she doesn’t speak English very well. We’ll need you girls to just get the mail, take care of our three dogs and other miscellaneous household duties.” Lynda stated softly. Truth be told, I was kind of surprised she hired us. She knew nothing about us at all and she was now trusting us in her home? I knew her son and Lucianna were going to be around but still, it was odd. “Also our son Justin is a little… um… rambunctious for his age. He’s 22, likes to throw a lot of parties… you know… typical things for a boy his age…”  
 
Oh God. Typical things? That’s something a high school kid does, not a 22 year old. I already knew I didn’t like this guy. Not one bit.
 
“Oh I see…” 
 
“Yes, and we’re leaving the number of the Chasez’ incase of any emergency in which we cannot be reached. I’m sure you know Kelly Chasez, Bailey.” Lynda stated suddenly. I looked up at her, confused. Um, why the hell would I know this random woman? Maybe she was mistaking me for someone else? 
 
“No, I don’t…”

“Oh…” Lynda nervously played with her blonde hair. I didn’t like that look in her eyes; it  wasn’t anything that was scary or mean, it was just that she knew something I didn’t. Fuck. “Well, whatever the case you can turn to, Kelly or any of the Chasez family. Her son Josh actually lives across the street. He’s such a nice boy.” 
 
Okay. That’s great. This Josh person was nice. I’m sure he was as vapid as the rest of these people anyway. Another spoiled rich boy.

“I’m sure we won’t need the help, but it will be nice to have a helping hand.” Madison spoke up, almost causing my mouth to drop. She was 2 for 2 today with losing her shy streak. She definitely deserved a cookie or a gold star.

“That’s wonderful, James will show you where your rooms are and a quick tour of the house. He’ll make sure to go over salary and such with you girls. I have to go make sure Lucianna packed everything I need. But thank you again girls.” Lynda smiled and shook both our hands before running off. This woman had a crazy amount of energy.

I smiled because I knew that things were finally going our way. Madison and I had gotten out of abusive homes and now for the next 6 months we were getting paid to take care and live in an amazing mansion. 
 
Our luck was finally changing, and for once, it was for the better. I just hoped it wouldn’t run out.

Incomplete
Mariah is the author of 2 other stories.
Audette is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Under Rug Swept also liked 45 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story