6 days later...

Friday Morning...

W.E.G Building...

 

Pilfered Hearts

Part 1

 

"It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept."

 

I can't do this. I, I can't do this. I'm so messed up right now. I'm so confused. What am I going to do? How, how am I going to solve this little issue? I can't do this! Why?! Why me! Oh my god!

"Zara did you hear me?" Johnny asks, touching my shoulder lightly and snapping me out of my trance.

"Huh?"

Smiling at me kindly he shrugs, stuffing some papers into his briefcase.

"I said you're also going to be Justin's assistant with Yolanda, besides her PA. Which means, when Justin comes out with his new album, which is due some time early next year, Yolanda's album should be done around the same time. It's something we came up with for publicity. That means, they will be going on tour together and you'll have to be there with them of course. It's going to be good publicity. The scheduled date for his tour should kick off June of next year. We're in August now. You'll have plenty of time to prepare and master the PA skills I've taught you. You'll be with Yolanda mastering her schedules and learning how to deal with the world of Personal Assistants. You'll no longer be working only under Tennman, but you'll also be an assistant with Jive as well." He explains, and I zone out again.

 

I...can't...do...this! Oh my god, why would Johnny drop this kind of bomb on me? And out of the blue like that? What does that mean? I thought I only had to deal with Yolanda. I thought...damn it. I can't be spending practically every waking moment with Justin! I can't be traveling places with him and all that! I can't! He's so unhealthy for me! He drives me crazy! I thought these two months were it, and then I'd return home. I mean, I knew I'd be busy and traveling when Yolanda's career kicks off but I didn't know Justin would be involved this much. I thought he'd have his own things going on too. I must have suffered some type of insanity when I took this job offer from Justin. I'm no longer subjected to my desk job. In fact, when we return to Florida, I'll be packing up my desk and moving up to Justin's floor where I'll have my own office and everything!

 

Johnny and Justin agreed that they'd spend his time in Florida because that's Yolanda's home. They'll get her album started in the studios down there and Justin can manage that branch of his business there. Then, we'll at some point, be heading to NY for appearances and other public events in regards to Yolanda's career among other states. When her and Justin's albums are done, there's going to be a lot of interviews, promotions and conferences to promote the album before the tour begins. It's a U.S tour. But if their albums do well overseas, well mostly Yolanda's, they're thinking about adding a European leg.

 

Oh my god! I can't do this! I just can't! I'm handing my life over to the dark side. My life is no longer mine! I'm going to be neck deep in the world of superstars, wild parties, traveling non stop, luxury, glitz and glamour. I seriously can not do this! I think I'm on the verge of passing out, I feel light headed...too much thinking. Too much!

 

Why? Out of all the artists signed to Tennman, why did Yolanda have to be the one working side by side with Justin like that? Why out of all his other talented artists on his label did she have to be the one to go on tour with him? Why couldn't he have chosen Esmee or someone else? Why her? Why did it have to be her? And I just had to be her PA? I can't do this! I can't fucking do this! I'll be dead and buried before I can get through my first year with this Job. I'm not PA material. God, what was I thinking?

 

 

"Zara, you seem really out of it today. But, the good news is, today was our last day of training and I think you're ready to take on your new found career. I have a meeting to head to. So, I guess we're done. Wish Yolanda luck for me at her club show tonight. I'll see you all again for the VMA's in three weeks." Johnny stands from the table in the board room of W.E.G where we've been for the last two and a half hours, closing his briefcase and grabbing his jacket off the back of his chair.

Glaring at him I nod my head, my mind still riling with abstract thoughts.

"I'm sorry Mr. Wright. I'm just a little bit tired. I didn't sleep much last night." I admit. Well it's true. I had a rather long, disturbing night that I wish to forget. I barely got any sleep because of it.

 


Flashback....

"Justin Ah!!....OHHHH!!!!!"

"What the fuck was that?" I jump up from sleep in shock clutching my chest and breathing heavily. "Oh my god...what's going on?" I think out loud, gazing around the dark room. Moving the covers off my body, I begin getting off the bed, when I hear another loud noise.

"You like that huh?" I hear Justin let out in a rather loud grunt.

When a contiguous banging on the wall begins suddenly, I feel all the color in my face drain as realization slowly and painfully hits me.

"Oh.my.god." I belt, as my hands fly over my mouth in shock.

"Uh!!! Oh!!!! Faster Justy! Harder!" I hear Mallory moan loudly.

"Oh my fucking god." I whisper, as I lay back down on the bed, putting the pillows over my ears to drown out the noise. "They're fucking! Oh my god they're having sex and I can hear everything!" I whine, hastily grabbing the comforter and pulling it over my head. "This is so fucking disturbing." I grumble, feeling a large pang of jealously, envy, hatred and pain overpower me.

"Tell me how you like it Lory!" Justin growls as the headboard of their bed keeps banging loudly on the wall separating Justin's room from mine.

"Oh no." I moan with displeasure. I did not sign up to have a front seat in an audio sound preview of Justin's sexual acts.

"OOOOOhhhhhhhh Justy!" I hear Mallory cry out.

I know this shouldn't be funny, but I can't help the snicker that leaves my lips. It's hilarious. Justin was right. Her moaning is ‘annoying as hell' and I quote these words from him exactly. She does need some coaching or other. But my amusement doesn't last long when I hear him let out a moan of his own. He's enjoying this...and for some reason, that little fact burns me to the core. ‘Berry I want you so bad...he says. Berry I'm dying here...he says. Berry I'm sorry...he says.'

What was I thinking? I knew it was too good to be true. I knew Justin would never be interested in a girl of my ‘type'. I'm just not his preference. He really is a jerk. How could he be doing this knowing damn well I'm right next door and can hear everything? God, I hate him. I seriously hate him right now and I don't even know why. There's nothing between us. We haven't done anything remotely close to intimacy since the night we almost had ‘sex'. Have I told you how much I love Trace for interrupting us when he did? Sure, Justin and I have been walking around pretending like nothing happened and it's all gravy. But this game can't go on for much longer. Jeremy thinks we hate each other. And we do...we did. No, we do. At least I hate Justin right now.

Sighing heavily, I try to force myself back to sleep so I won't have to listen to this shit. But at the rate they're going, I know this is going to be a long sleepless night...

End Flashback...

 

 

It was a prolonged night. The disruption that prevented me from my peaceful slumber finally ended some time around four in the morning and I had to be up by 6.30. Those inconsiderate pigs...

"Jahzara..."

I wearily glance up to see Johnny with all his items in hand getting ready to leave. He has a worried look on his face and before I can answer, he takes a seat next to me, eyeing me with a curious glare.

"I know all of this is overwhelming for you to grasp. But I assure you it's a very satisfying, well paying job. Justin did mention to me that you and your brother only had each other and the finances would be good for you. It was my idea to choose you because of how well you've dealt with me in the past. Justin was racking his brain on getting a PA for Yolanda and when he asked for my advice, I told him he had a great receptionist and secretary who I'm sure would transition smoothly. But, the getting you involved with him and Jive as well was his idea. He figured you could use the exposure and added pay along with the professional skills if you ever land another job in that field one day. Also, he said something about you being able to finish psychology school...." Johnny informs but I cut him off.

 

"What?!" I cry out in utter astonishment. Justin is behind this? He's the reason I've been cursed with this extra job description? Why? Why does he even care about me finishing school? Ok, so when we spent some time together we talked, and I told him about going to school and having to quit to make ends meat with my bro. That doesn't give him the right to push his nose where it doesn't belong. I'm not some charity case. I don't need the extra favors.

"It's ok girl. Calm down. I know you're scared that you'll fail but the greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure. Just believe that you can do it and take it head on ok? I'm there for you if you ever need a push in the right direction or guidance. Don't hesitate to call me." Johnny smiles warmly, and I momentarily forget about my anger towards Justin.

"Ok Mr. Wright. I'll do that. And thank you again." I stand with him giving him a handshake and he nods knowingly.

"You'll do fine. Now, I should be leaving. I know you have to head down to the studio to meet up with the guys then it's off to Yolanda's photo shoot session. Have a good day. And I'll see you all soon." Johnny quickly tells me bye and exits the board room leaving me alone to my thoughts.

 

 

"What am I going to do? I need to call Malcolm about these new turn of events. He always knows what to do." I voice to myself, grabbing my cell phone from my side bag and dialing his number.

After four rings he picks up letting out a light yawn into the phone. "Zary! Hey!" He speaks contently.

Hearing the sound of my brother's voice for some reason calms my nerves. I've missed him dearly over the past month. This is the first time we've been apart this long since aunt Patrice left for the Caribbean years ago.

"Hey Malky." I state weakly. I'm drained and my emotions are running haywire. I'm really unstable right now.

"How's the new life going?" he jokes and I shrug even though he can't see me.

"It...well...it's going alright." I reply bitterly.

"Oh no. I know that tone. Did something happen with Justin or Jeremy?" He asks knowingly. My brother knows his sister like the back of his hand. Breathing deeply, I dig into my bag again, pulling out a small bottle of pills. Reading over the instructions I groan inwardly. I haven't eaten for the morning and it says to take one pill after meals, twice a day. But screw that. I'm in no mood for formalities. Twisting the cap off, I pour out two pills and toss them to the back of my throat swallowing roughly before I twist open a bottle of spring water and take a few large chugs, clearing the bitter aftertaste in my mouth.

"Z? Zary are you there? Hello?" Comes Malcolm's deep voice filtering through the line.

"Yeah I'm here. Sorry." I lament. Placing my hands over my face momentarily, I inhale sharply getting ready to tell Malcolm the story of what Johnny just told me. I can't let Malcolm know what's going on with Justin and me. He'd go berserk. But he needs to know the drastic change that's soon going to take place affecting both our lives; be it a negative or positive effect. "Well, I guess I should start off by telling you that I'm really getting into this whole PA vibes and things are certainly going to be different from now on..."

 

 

****

Hours later....Early afternoon...At the studio...

 

 

"I'm telling you Justin. She is going to go far!" Tim states while fiddling with a few dials on the soundboard.

Nodding with him in agreement, I push back in my seat, getting more comfortable. Yolanda's the shit and she knows it. That's why she can waltz around here with her conceited, spoilt, bitchy attitude. The good thing is her and berry are getting along well, so that's a plus.

 

We've been in the studio for nearly five hours now but we'll soon be wrapping up so Yolanda can head down to some photo shoot. I'm not going to that. I'm going to hang around with the guys and I'll catch up at her show later tonight at the club. Zara is supposed to go with her, but I haven't seen her whole day. Well except for this morning but she kept giving me the cold shoulder. Whatever that was about. I know she was at W.E.G this morning, but her training was over hours ago. She had strict instructions to get here right after. She's Yolanda's PA. She needs to know what's going on with her client.

 

Speaking of...Yolanda's single hit number one about two days ago on the charts. Because of that, she's been scheduled for a few radio interviews down here. Everyone is excited to see her VMA performance too. Marty has been working her round the clock which is why we never really see her, except when we're all home at night or something. But I'm proud of her. I feel like a proud parent.

 

The only thing that won't stop plaguing my thoughts is Jeremy. Especially with what happened between berry and I a few days ago. Yeah I know. Justin is an asshole because how can I be angry with Zara's choice of boyfriend when I have two non-girlfriends of my own? But Jesus, she cheated on him! With me! If that's not twisted and wrong I don't know what is. She can't be that into him if she goes around kissing on me like it's nothing.

 

I don't see how Jessica really counts as a non-girlfriend either. We've only been messing around since I've been here for about a month, all because we met on the night I went driving aimlessly and stumbled into that Starbucks after I realized how low my self-control was around Zara. That and fucking Jeremy was supposedly taking her ‘out'. It was the day after we got to LA. It was the beginning of this fucked up thing berry and I have going. Or, maybe this all began when we shared that dance some months ago at Tim's club.

 

Maybe I was just in denial. Either way, Jessica doesn't count. Mallory is who I need to be worried about. Right now, she's out - god knows where - with Trace on some shopping spree with my fucking credit card. I know what you're thinking. I've lost my fucking mind. I honestly think I have. No matter how much the woman annoys the hell out of me, something about her still makes me weak and breakdown. I still want to fire her though. I've mentioned about Mallory being that one employee that's my weakness even though I'm still her boss.

 

Now, I've come to a painful realization that Zara is slowly but surely, worming her way into that category as well. She's becoming my weakness. How am I supposed to deal with that too? I know I've gotten her this extra job to work with me through Johnny but I'm not sure I can handle being around her so much. I just might go crazy in all sense of the word.

 

 

"Ok Yolanda. So, I just want you to hold that last note for two beats longer, cutting off right where the track changes pattern before the bridge. Then we're going to run through the harmonies and we're done for the day ok?" Pharrel's voice snaps me out of my thoughts and I turn to look at him and Tim, hard at work doing what they love. Will is standing next to them with his arms folded as he bobs his head to the infectious beat while they all stare at Yolanda in the recording booth.

I love that we can all come together like this. I've really developed a tight bond with these men and despite what critics may say about them being the reason behind my solo success, I just say fuck it. I've worked hard to be where I am today and although they get super credit for co-producing and engineering my albums, I've still done my part. Besides, we're more like family than anything else, so fuck the critics.

"How do you find that J? It's tight right?" Pharrel nudges me with a smile as he removes the studio headphones from his ears.

"Yeah man. She sounds hot. We don't have to redo many vocals either. She nails it almost perfectly most times on her first try." I beam and they shake their heads in agreement.

"I feel you J. But you seem kind of spaced." Tim voices.

"He's right. You're not fully yourself. Usually, you'd be all up on the soundboard fiddling with it and experimenting with new sounds, but you've just been sitting here laid back and letting us do all the dirty work." Pharrel jokes but I just raise my shoulders without responding.

"A girl got you frazzled JT?" Will (Will.I.Am) asks with a matter-of-fact grin.

"Na dawg. It's nothing like that. I'm just tired. Been up whole night." A large smile graces my features when I remember that I got laid last night.

"Ahh...with that smug smile you have, enough said." Tim grins brightly at me and I know everyone is thinking the same thing I am.

I sort of needed an outlet for my frustration with Zara. I mean, she went out again with ‘gym boy' last night. Heaven only knows what time she got back home. But I'm not mad at her. She's doing her thing and clearly, what ever that's going on between us is not going to stop her from seeing Jeremy. It's not that serious. So, I don't know why I keep wishing that it would be serious enough for her to break up with him. It's not like I want a relationship with the woman. Even though I'm obviously attracted to her she still isn't my type. And, sadly enough, with this lifestyle I'm living and her new found job, we could never be together in such a relationship. The public would dissect her and swallow her whole. She'd never be able to live through being my girlfriend. But you know what? I don't know why I'm analyzing this because it's preposterous and clearly not happening in this lifetime.

 

 

 

"Sorry I'm so late guys..."

I turn my head to see berry walking into the room, sunglasses on, her curly hair down, and a long black and white pant suit on. This pant suit however is different. It's not baggy like those she used to wear at work. This one is very fitted showing off her figure and all her dangerous curves. Dare I say she looks beautiful? Because I'm certainly not going to voice it to her with the way she treated me this morning. She doesn't deserve that privilege.

"Took you long enough." I snap in a monotone voice.

Rolling her eyes at me, she doesn't get a chance to respond before Tim interjects. "Look at you girl. It's nice to see you again. How have you been?"

I watch as he stands form his previous position and walks over to berry...I mean...Zara, giving her a tight hug. Well shit, you'd think they knew each other for years but, they've only met once or twice since we've been here.

"Hi Tim. It's good to see you too. And I've been good." Zara smiles, before she shoots me a nasty glare. Ok, I always seem to be missing out on something. What the fuck is her problem now?

"You look lovely Jahzara. New outfit?" Tim inquires giving her a once over. Just fantastic. Whose friend is he? Hers or mine? Can't he see we're not getting along right now? A death and blind person would know that. It's clearly obvious.

"Thanks Tim." She blushes. Oh don't make me sick. I just ate. "It's actually a gift from the boyfriend." She instantly lowers her tone but I most definitely caught that statement. The boyfriend eh. So Jeremy is buying shit for her now? How long have they been together? Five minutes? And he's pampering her already? He must be an idiot. I always knew he was.

"Well it compliments you girl. I guess he knows what he's doing." Tim states adding fuel to the fire. He's so not getting any more birthday gifts.

Grunting lightly under my breath, I divert my attention to Pharrel and Will who are still busy with Yolanda. But, that doesn't mean that I've tuned out the conversation going on a few feet away from me.

"Thanks, but between you and me, I'm a little mad that he went out and spent his hard earned money on a Dolce and Gabbana suit for me." She whispers to Tim and I can feel my blood boiling. I mean I know Jeremy makes some serious dough, but why would he go out and do all that for Zara? Is she even worth it? She's been fucking around on his head. If she could do that to him what else could she do? I'm confused again. What's her motive here? This doesn't seem like the shy, quiet, unconfident woman I know. Is she changing? I'm not sure. She still seems the same, but something is also different about her.

"Oh well, hold on to that guy girl." Tim chuckles heartily. "We're just about to wrap up so you and Yolanda can head down to the photo shoot. Just take a seat and we'll be done shortly." He instructs and she complies choosing to take a seat right next to me of all the available spots in the goddamn room. Does she enjoy fucking with me this much? I think she gets some sick twisted pleasure from taunting me.

 

 

"So, how's Yolanda doing?" She asks me and I barely acknowledge her presence, not even caring to give a response.

"Justin? Did you hear me?" She touches my shoulder lightly and I cringe. Finally turning to her, I gaze into those bright hazel orbs with reticence. I don't feel like conversing with her unless she explains the reason behind giving me the cold shoulder.

"Glad to see you're talking to me again." I spit coldly.

"What? I was never ‘not talking' to you." She retorts, leaning back against the chair and away from me.

"Yeah well you could have fooled me considering you barely paid me any mind this morning." I snap, keeping a hushed tone so we don't draw too much attention to ourselves.

"Oh please. Like you cared either way." She flips some of her hair out of her face and bows her head, beginning to fiddle with her nails. As I'm about to comment on her annoying habit for the millionth time, I swallow my words when I notice that her nails are all done up and painted and looking cute and shit. They're usually bare and lacking care. But now, she looks like she would be eligible for some type of hand modeling job or commercial. I know I'm exaggerating, but that's just another tiny detail about her that's changed.

"Listen berry..."

She jerks her head up because I've used my nickname for her. She never had a problem with it before. Ignoring her stare I continue with my statement. "I don't know what the hell is wrong with your sudden mood swings. Is it that time of month? Because I can totally understand. But we were fine with each other up to yesterday and now today you're all bitchy and temperamental with me. Why?" I inquire.

Letting out a dry laugh, she shakes her head in detest. "Justin. I've only seen you for a few minutes this morning. So, really and truly, it doesn't matter."

"It doesn't matter that you're being a bitch?" I raise my brows at her questionably.

"No, because you're a jerk. So we work well together don't you think?" She says sarcastically.

"Unbelievable." I breathe out. What are we even arguing for? That's what I'm trying to find out but she's not spitting it out.

"Just drop it."

"No. Tell me what's wrong. Did I do something wrong?" I ask noticing how her demeanor beings to crumble so easily. She's looking down in shame with a dejected scowl on her face.

"Just forget it. I'm not angry or anything." Quickly looking up at me, she stands, just as I notice Yolanda exiting the recording booth. I've realized that everyone is oblivious to what's going on between us. We aren't exactly talking for them to hear us and they seem pretty preoccupied.

"Hey Jahzara! I didn't see you come in. We just got done so you and I can head over to the photo shoot shortly. It starts in an hour." Yolanda walks over to Zara giving her a light hug, before she moves back over to Tim and the guys, conversing with them as she puts her belongings together to leave.

 

 

Using that as an opportunity, I quickly stand, excusing myself and grabbing Zara's hand, pulling her out into the hallway.

When the door closes behind us, she yanks her arm away from me, but I don't care. I have other things on my mind right now. Like, I can't believe Jeremy bought her a Dolce and Gabbana suit. That one suit is worth thousands of dollars easy. What the hell was he thinking?

"Ok berry talk. I want answers."

"Don't call me that." She defends.

"What? You like it. Since when don't you want me to..."

"Since you lost that privilege to call me anything but Jahzara."

"What?!" Scratching my head in thought, I tug at my black t-shirt. She's beginning to piss me off. "Jesus! Would you just tell me what the fuck is your problem?" I raise my voice at her.

"You Justin! You're my fucking problem. There I said it! Happy now?" She crosses her arms over her chest and looks away from me, seething with anger. She has no right. She's the one being the bitch.

"That doesn't exactly explain anything. Care to elaborate?"

Whirling her head in my direction she bites her bottom lip softly, battling with her choice of words. Shit, that's hot. That's definitely hot. She's tempting me to kiss her right now...wait...no...stop! I should just stop thinking. Yeah.

"Well," She shifts on her heels uncomfortably and I can tell she's nervous because the ‘nail habit' is on overdrive. "You really need to learn how to be quiet." Her tone suddenly softens and the sweet, timid Zara I know is back. Thank god. Even though I want her to grow some balls, I can better handle this side of her.

"Be quiet about what?" I enquire.

"You know. Just, less noisy." She slightly whispers and begins to blush.

"What?" I'm not following. "Just spit it out berry...I mean..."

"Look. Justin, the next time you plan on having loud, wild, crazy sex try to be considerate and remember that there are other people who are trying to get sleep ok?" She sneers at me and my mouth instantly gapes open. She...she heard us? Oh shit. Oh wow. That's...that's...

"OH! I...uh...well...I...you see...." I'm stumped. I don't know what to say to her. I'm shocked that she heard. I thought she wasn't home.

"I know you don't give a fuck and you're doing your thing but please. You all kept me up whole night and now I'm really tired because I haven't slept much." She explains meekly.

"Shit berry I'm sorry I...I didn't even know you got back from your date....I...I'm sorry...." I apologize moving towards her but she backs away from me.

"It's cool, just; please try for it to not happen again..." She waves her hands, dismissing the entire conversation. No! Don't do that! I didn't mean for her to hear us. She must have felt really awkward. I know I would have if it was her and Jeremy and I was in her place. And as if I couldn't feel any worse, I remember the terrible argument we had some weeks ago, when I accused them of going to do the same thing I did to her. It landed me with an injured back from the shove she gave me that made me visit an actual professional masseuse at one of the spas down here, in order to heal the aches.

"Shit come on berry. Don't be mad at me. I'm really sorry. I honestly didn't know you were there."

"It's fine. Forget about it."

As soon as that statement leaves her lips, Yolanda exits the studio, walking right between us.

"You ready to go Jahraza? Don't want to be late!" Yolanda speaks excitedly.

Giving me one last pitiful glance, Zara diverts her attention elsewhere. "Yeah let's go." She intertwines her arm with Yolanda's, as they both say bye to me before beginning their journey down the hallway and on to their next destination.

I'm just standing there, watching in awe at their retreating forms. I really feel terrible right now. But I shouldn't. But I do.

"I guess I'll see you later for the show berry!" I call out to Zara who stops and turns to glare at me from down the hall. Even with the distance between us I can see her painful expression. She almost looks hurt. But why? So I kept her up last night. That's no reason to behave in that manner. She's blowing everything out of proportion.

Shaking her head at me sadly, she shrugs, bringing her hands up in the air signaling an ‘I don't know' expression before her last statement leaves me wondering if we've stepped into the twilight zone. "I'll see you later Mr. Timberlake. And it's Jahzara ok? Bye!" she waves.

And I blink. Once, twice...then I sigh.

And I'm just standing. Glaring and Standing...here...dazed and perturbed.

 

****

Quote by: Bill Watterson

 

........to be continued.......

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story