October...Friday Morning...

Tennman Records...

Orlando, FL...



 

I Need You Now More Than Ever


"Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I really need it."

 

 

"So In other words, you're completely fucked."

Lifting my head to glance at Trace I scowl unappreciatively. "Thanks Tracey-poo. You're so helpful." I blast.

"I'm just saying Zar-bear." Leaning back, he props his legs up on my desk and I stare at him like he's deranged.

"Trace, this is not a house. It's an office." I state, smacking his foot off my vanished desk.

"Justin lets me do what I want." He sulks.

"Well, I'm not Justin. You're his best friend and assistant, you can afford to do what you want around him." I retort with a cheeky smile.

"You're my friend too Zara."

"So?"

"Just forget it. I won't put my feet on your precious desk. But what are you going to do about Yolanda though? Because, if you don't find a way to reschedule her activities for the next few months, you're fucked." Trace reiterates.

"Don't you think I know that she's overbooked? We'll run the girl into the ground with this current schedule. You know, Mallory was the one who did this when I was out for the three weeks while my new office was being prepared. I tell you, the woman has it in for me. Now I'm going to have to call all these stations, shows, designers...everyone to reschedule. I started on Monday but this is insane." I explain, sighing heavily at the crazy schedule sitting quaintly on my desk. "I think Mallory did this to get back at me for Justin." I reason and Trace nods in agreement.

"Can you blame her though? She's hooked on him. He's going to break her heart though." He explains.

"Why would you say that?" I inquire, fully intrigued.

"Because he doesn't love her. He's in love in with you Zara. You know this. It's like a cycle. Someone always gets their heart broken."

 

Leaning my head back, I look up at the ceiling in thought. "I love him too you know." I whisper to Trace. He's the only person who knows my true feelings for Justin and I've threatened him with murder to keep his mouth shut. However, he knows I'm not capable of homicide. He's just waiting for me to tell Justin on my own. Over the past month Trace and I have become closer than we were before. I guess we have a common bond which is Ju and he's been gone for so long. We spend hours on the phone and there are the few occasions he stops by my house to hang out. He and Malcolm get along great so I'm not worried. He's a good loyal friend. I can understand why Justin values their friendship so much.

"You need to tell him and end all this Zara. The ball in is in your court. Why won't you break things off with Jeremy? What's really going on?" Trace probes, leaning forward and propping his elbows on my desk.

"What do you mean?" I ask nervously.

"Ok, I'm not Justin here. We're friends right?" He stipulates and I shake my head. "Right. And friends are supposed to share things with each other. Now, please. If you won't tell Justin or anyone else, tell me. I've told you before, I'm here for you. I need to know. Why do you act this way? Why do you shut people out and why are you so reserved? I know there are people like that, but yours seems to be an extreme. I mean, I can't figure out for the life of me, why you won't just end your relationship with Jeremy and be with Justin if that's where your heart lies. Help me understand Zara. You need to tell someone. Everyone needs someone at some point in their lives. No man is an Island." Trace reasons and I actually smile amiably at him. He's so wise. He hardly ever shows it, since most times he's a goof, but Trace is slowly becoming one of my favorite persons.

 

"You want the truth?" I ponder, realizing, maybe I should open up to someone besides Malcolm who already knows. We just never talk about it.

"The whole truth and nothing but the truth." Trace jokes and I just roll my eyes at him getting more comfortable in my chair. Work can wait for now.

"Ok, well...I guess it all began when I was younger in high school. I don't know if you know this, but both my parents died in a car accident when I was just a little girl." I begin, watching as Trace's eyes grow wide.

"Oh! I'm so sorry. That explains your close connection with Malcolm."

"Yeah he's all I have. But don't be sorry. I mean, I barely remember my parents. I was too young to fully comprehend. I just have faint, hazy memories of them." I assure.

"That's terrible." Trace breathes out, fully engrossed in my story.

 

"Yeah well, life happens and so does death." Taking a few seconds to regain my bearings, I breathe out a long sigh diving into the main cause of my current ‘personality.' "Basically, back in high school, I was the outcast for two reasons. I was supposedly ‘fat & hideous' and I was mixed in race, since my dad was half-white half-Spanish and my mom was black. I was a relatively outgoing straight A student. I had a few friends and an 'ok' social life. All that changed one day though when I accidentally bounced into one of the popular girls in my school. Her name was Whitney Bradshaw." This is going to be a hard tale to tell but it has to be said.

 

"She was the head cheerleader and my clumsy self wasn't paying attention so I emptied my entire lunch tray on her cheerleading uniform. She screamed out blasphemies and called me every name in the book. She was convinced I did it on purpose because I was jealous of her or whatever. Then, she jacked me backwards and I fell to the floor in the lunch room in front of all my peers. She then said and I quote: "Watch where you're going half-cast." Then, she stepped over me, leaving me alone and thoroughly embarrassed. Everyone was silent, but soon they began laughing and kept calling me half-cast. I was mortified."

 

"That's how my daily bullying and belittling began. No one called me by my name anymore. In fact, I'm pretty sure many of the students didn't even know my real name. I was the freak, the giant because of my height and the mixed orphan girl with no parents. The bullying became unbearable because I started getting beat up on a regular basis. They kept telling me I was fat and ugly and a waste of life. That I was worthless and would never amount to anything. I always came home with a new bruise that I would hide from my aunt Patrice and Malcolm." Pausing to look over at Trace, I could have sworn I just heard him sniffle. I know it's a sad tale, but over the years I've become numb to the memories.

 

"Anyway, one day, when I came out of the shower, Malcolm entered the bathroom without knocking and just as I was wrapping my towel around my body, he noticed all the bruises on my arms, side and legs I was hiding with long jeans and long sleeved shirts. He was furious beyond reason and told Aunty Patrice, demanding that she went to the school to confront the principal and my attackers' parents. He would have done it himself, but no one would have listened to a bunch of kids. Aunty Patrice however declined, stating that it was bad for her reputation. She already had enough on her plate having to raise her ‘sister's children.' That's when it became clear to me we were just a burden on her. She made us feel like we were trapping her down. She made us feel guilty. Like she was wasting her life away on us. That's why, when Malcolm was old enough to provide for us and Patrice up and left, eloping in the Caribbean, I felt no void or pain. I never cared to stay in touch with her, because everything was so awkward you know?"

 

Trace instantly nods his head, blinking slowly at me. He's really absorbing all this in. Well, it feels good to let it out to someone other than my brother after all these years.

 

"Yeah, so basically, that whole experience was psychologically damaging. After aunt Patrice left, I tried counseling, because losing your parents at an early age and undergoing the type of torture that I did, is hard on a young person's mind and development. Malcolm couldn't afford to continue paying for my sessions so, I stopped short of ever getting the help I needed. I guess part of that is why I took up Psychology in college. I thought I could help persons with damaging situations like these since I could relate. I also thought having that as a major and profession, maybe I could help heal me as well. It was never easy. It's still not. But sadly, I had to cut school short to make money since Malcolm and I were struggling on our own. "

 

"I began working secretary and receptionists jobs until I landed the job here at Tennman. With Malcolm, he had no other option but to join the police force to keep a steady income. It wasn't his preferred choice. He always wanted to be a personal trainer like what Jeremy does or a basketball player in the NBA since he played back in high school. He was really good too and had a basketball scholarship to college and everything; but at the time he had no choice but to drop out of school to work and support us. He's grown to love his job as an officer of the law though, so I'm happy. I just get really scared when he's on field duty. I always pray that he comes home unscarred. I couldn't lose my brother too. That would kill me."

 

"Ask for me, I think what really put the icing on the cake was my senior year in college when I was going for my bachelors. There was this guy that I was head over heals for and he was in my psych class. He was the perfect guy to me. Don't get me wrong, I dated, had a few guy friends but, nothing serious. But this guy though. He was...everything." I continue, watching as Trace crinkles his nose but, he doesn't dare interrupt my flow.

 

"His name was Christian Andrew Hemingway; Chris for short. He was gorgeous and he was a white boy with piercing blue eyes, just like Justin's. Oh, it's a thing in my family. Us black women have a thing for the white milk chocolates." I joke, hearing Trace snicker.

 

"Damn, this story is getting interesting. Please continue." He finally speaks eagerly.

 

"Right. So, I was crushing on Chris immensely you know? He was the perfect package. Tall, lean physic, all the girls loved him, he was smart and his family was loaded with cash. He had so much charm and charisma. He was definitely a ladies man and always well groomed. His blonde hair was always gelled to perfection and his teeth were as white as snow every time he smiled. He wasn't cocky either. He displayed just the right amount of confidence to remain laid back and down to earth. Oh, I had it bad. I always admired him from a far, knowing that I wasn't his type and he'd never give me a second glance."

 

"Until one faithful day. We had an assignment and I was paired with him for the project in class. That was the first time he talked to me. Granted he didn't know my name then, he always called me Angel Eyes, because he stated my eyes were so deep and full of mystery and every time he looked into them it reminded him of heaven and all that crap..."

 

Trace lets out a hearty laugh but soon calms down so I can proceed with my saga.

 

"To cut a long story short, one thing led to another and before I knew it we were a full out couple. Everyone in school always stared and criticized our relationship. They couldn't understand how a guy like him would be with someone like me. He was so popular and his family had a well developed wine business. Chris never let that faze him though. He claimed he loved me and he would stand by me and I believed him."

 

"That was until the pressure became too much to bare. People didn't want us together. Even in this day and age, racism still exists. It was so bad, that one night when we were leaving his house, people driving by threw bottles at us and smashed the windows of his brand new viper. He was furious, but he still stuck by me, and I was grateful. But as it was nearing graduation, things were becoming stressful between us. We were trying to make sense of our future and those girls that were after him weren't making it easy."

 

"He always told me I had nothing to worry about but I was still worried. There was this one girl named Glacia who wouldn't let up. I later found out she was an old ex of his from back in high school and she wanted him back. I was devastated but, Chris always remained true you know? He wanted me to be with him when he moved to England for graduate school by his folks. He offered to pay for the rest of my school and take care of everything for me to be with him. But I couldn't do that. I couldn't leave Malcolm. He was my last bloodline. I knew after graduation we'd not be able to be together, but I was young and in love and stupid. I held the façade that we'd make the long distance work."

 

"Unfortunately it didn't even get that far. Because, the night of the prom after party that Chris hosted at his house, I walked in on him and the same girl in his room having sex. He blamed it on being drunk but I knew better. She finally got to him. I mean, why wouldn't she? She was beautiful and she was a model. Her tall, slender frame, green eyes, long legs and flowing brown hair was no match for me. I was heartbroken. I was hurt. But what hurt even more, was when Chris said, "Maybe it's best this way. You and I both knew we'd never work out. We're from two different worlds Jahzara and you were never my type. I was willing to look past it because I loved you, but look at how much trouble it's caused for us and with my family. I'll always love you angel-eyes but, maybe, maybe I should stick to my own kind." And that was all it took for me to break down."

 

Wiping at my dry eyes, I will away the tears I can feel stinging the back of my eye lids. Even after all those years, Chris's words still burn me like scorching fire.

"Wow..." Trace states in a low whistle. "What a jackass." He hisses with instant detest. Ah, that's why I love my Tracey-poo. He understands me so well.

 

"Yeah, but at the time I was too shocked and too numb to do anything. So, I ran home and cried. I cried for Malcolm and told him everything. That was the final straw. Chris's words tore me up and I was never the same again. I went through so much in my life and when I finally thought I found someone who loved me for me, I was wrong. He just pitied me or something. He wasn't fully genuine or he would have fought for me you know? I just, damn it. I feel angry every time I think of it."

 

"Malcolm went over to his house the next day and beat the shit out of him. He's always been overprotective of me, but Chris deserved it. Chris never once said he was sorry either. He just, let go everything we went through just like that. It just took one time to cheat on me and he was gone. He was never really mine. I don't know what it was, but he broke my heart. I loved him with my entire being and he just...he just killed me. I never saw him after that though. I didn't want to. He moved to England like he planned and the bitch he cheated on me with followed. I guess they were meant for each other. But, basically that's my life story in a nutshell. Hope I didn't bore you to death." I laugh, wiping at my now moist cheeks.

 

Trace gives me a sympathetic smile, straightening his posture. Scratching at his stubble, he seems to be deep in thought about something or other.

"So, let me get this straight. You obviously were dealt a hard hand in life, but are you telling me that Chris is the reason you won't give Justin a chance Zara? He enquires.

 

"Yeah, I mean, Trace...Justin reminds me of Chris is so many ways it's uncanny. They're so similar in personality that it scares me. It really does. And let's remember that Justin was the same as Chris. Justin never knew my name, never paid attention to me and we ended up in so many fights. I just...I don't know. Jeremy, he's different. He's nothing like them and I don't have to worry about the whole racial issue with him. He's safe and he's never once made me feel unattractive. He always showers me with compliments and I just, I don't want to risk putting my heart on the line again."

 

"Well, it makes sense I guess. You're scared Justin will do to you what Chris did?"

Locking eyes with the shorter man I smile meekly. "Yeah." I lament, bowing my head and giving my nails some long needed attention.

"But, that's bullshit Zar-bear. You can't let one bad experience in love keep you from loving again." Trace enforces standing and walking around my desk to face me.

"I know but, it's hard. I'm scared. I can't survive another broken heart Trace."

"But you don't and will never love Jeremy. You need to tell Justin everything you told me before it's too late." He suggests and I gasp in shock.

"What? No! And you can't say anything either! Promise me Trace." I panic, standing to face him.

"Fine whatever. I just think you're being dumb to not embrace how you feel. Whether you like it or not, your heart belongs to Jay and his belongs to you. You need to end all ties with Jeremy."

"I can't, I love Jer too." I protest.

"Not the way you love Justin." Trace quips with a knowing glare.

 

"I know but, Justin is like a Chris clone in so many ways though. It hurts to be around him sometimes. He reminds me so much of the pain I've been through. It's hard Tracey. It's so hard." Feeling a few tears slide down my cheeks, I jump in shock when I hear the office phone buzz. Now is not a good time. I'm ignoring it.

 

"I guess I understand." Trace sighs in defeat. "I think what you need to do is make a mends with your past and move on. If you hold unto it like you're doing, you'll never be truly happy and there is a guy out there who is willing to give you the world if you let him. He's a good guy. I'd know because he just so happens to be my best friend." Trace grins at me brightly, pulling me into a tight hug.

 

Inhaling his familiar sent, I relax against his hold. "I guess you're right. But how can I possibly face Chris again after all these years?" I contemplate; my nerves and heartbeat on overdrive.

 

"You have to if you want to have any type of future with Justin Zara. Do it for you and for Jay. He needs you girl. I'm a little shocked at how hard he's fallen for you. It's really unlike him you know?" Trace skims my back before he pulls away to look at me.

 

"I know. I guess I need to do this then huh?"

 

"It's the first step to healing and making things right with You and Justin again."

 

Trace is right; he seems to always be right. It's really annoying, because I don't know how I'm going to face my past again. It's called your past for a reason. It's not meant to become your present. God, this is going to be so difficult. I don't even know where Chris is, or how to get a hold of him, if he is even alive still. God, I think I'm going to have a heart attack or faint.

 

"You're right. I'll do it. I need Ju. I, I'll do this for him...for us." I suck up my fears, hearing my office phone go off again, but I'm still ignoring it.

 

"And Jeremy?" Trace asks with a warning glare.

"What about..."

"Zara!"

"Ok I, I'll...I guess I'll break things off with him." I suggest. "But on my own time. I just want Justin and me to build back a solid friendship and bond first." I state, now fiddling with my white silk blouse and black long dress pants. Jer bought me these. He's been buying me a lot of things lately. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Justin's 'Yacht gift.' I get the feeling Jer's trying to top it like he is on some competition.

"Good enough for me I guess. It's a start. You have enough to deal with now that Yolanda is a big part of your life."

"Oh my god! I completely forgot about her. I need to get back to work on her schedule. And, we're supposed to be having a girls' night tonight!" I shriek with excitement.

"Oh god." Trace groans, walking away from me. "Well have fun then. I've taken up enough of your time. I'm going to head out." He adds making his way to my door.

"Ok, hey Tracey-poo?" I call out.

"Yeah?" He turns to face me expectantly.

Smiling affably, I nod my head at him with appreciation. "Thanks for being such a great friend."

"No problem, just remember everything I said. And Don't be afraid. I promise you, Justin is nothing like Chris." He solidifies his statement with a wave of his hand, but my response is cut short when another figure cautiously walks into the room.

 

**

 

Turning at the sound of the door opening, I see Trace's face light up like a Christmas tree. Mine however, is void of emotions as I stand, paralyzed in place at the sight in front of me.

"Holy shit! You're a sight for sore eyes." Trace laughs in astonishment and relief.

I'm still silent though, glaring at the all too familiar person in amazement and confusion. Ok, I feel like fainting again, but mainly because of how he looks. I know it's the same person, but something about him is different. He looks drained, almost sick and he's lost weight too. In fact, he's skinny. Not to mention that he hasn't shaved in maybe over a month.

He's dressed casually in dark jeans and a grey t-shirt. He has a matching cap on his head, as he grips my door handle tightly, darting his eyes between me and Trace. Oh his eyes. They are still the same gorgeous, piercing blues that I remember. Only, they are dull and emotionless. He looks tired, like he hasn't slept in days. But, when he finally locks unto my hazels with his gaze, I feel like all the wind has been knocked out of my lungs.

Holding my breath, I wait for him to speak...to say anything at all, but he's still just standing there in the doorway, now taking in his surroundings.

 

Everyone is silent. The atmosphere just became thick and I'm not breathing right. Someone needs to say something and fast before I lose it.

I think Trace read my mind because he's now 'breaking the ice' in the room. "Justin! Dude man! We thought you died! Welcome back bro. Damn you're skinny. What the fuck happened to you?" Trace laughs, giving Justin a manly hug, before he pulls away and turns to look at me with a sidelong grin. I think he's waiting for me to say something, but what do I say? I haven't seen Justin in over a month. What the hell do I say?

"Whatever midget. I could still take your ass." Justin laughs heartily and I inwardly moan at the sound of his smooth, soft voice and cute laugh. God, I've missed this man.

Justin diverts his attention to me and I hold my breath again, anticipating some form of bashing or other.

When he leaves Trace at the door and walks over to me, I know I'm about to get a beat down or something. Don't ask me why but, his new ‘gruff exterior' scares me a bit.

Ok, he's standing, facing me now.

My heart rate is increasing. It's pounding into my ears.

Thump-thump.

Thump-thump.

I might be getting a heart attack here.

I feel dizzy.

I, I feel weak.

My palms are sweaty.

But screw all that because, I just lost all trend of thought as Justin leisurely leans down, enveloping me into his strong arms for a tight, warm hug.

Oh god, he smells so good. And he's gripping unto me so tightly. Like this is the last time we're ever going to be affectionate with each other. God, I hope not.

I've missed him...I've really freaking missed him...god I've missed him so damn much it hurts now that he's here, because his current appearance is my fault. I know it is. His body feels so fragile in my arms. I hope he's not sick or anything.

My senses are going crazy right now when I feel Justin's nose on my neck as he breathes in my sent, exhaling softly.

Lifting his head so his lips can graze against my ears, shivers go down my spine when Justin whispers to me in a low, raspy voice, "Hey..."

"Hey..." I echo back, still in a state of euphoria.

"I've missed you..." he whispers again, this time letting out one of those deep masculine growls from deep within. Oh man, I'm melting here. My legs feel like jelly right now.

And just like that, the moment ends and he pulls away from me completely, taking a few steps back. It's so abrupt, that I nearly fall forward since I was leaning into him for support.

 

Making his way back to Trace who has the dorkiest grin on his face, Justin signals him over. "We've got some catching up to do man. What say we head out to the studio? Mike is out waiting and I've got a new album that I need to begin working on." Justin explains with his back now to me like I'm not even in the room. Ok, now I feel awkward.

"Sure thing man. Let's go. I was just leaving so Zara could get back to her work." Trace replies and I mentally scream, no I don't want them to go! I want Justin to stay but, I keep my cool.

"Alright then." Justin ushers Trace out of my office but stops abruptly to face me. "Oh, one more thing." Justin states, looking directly at me with a blank expression. I do not like emotionless Justin very much. How will I have any idea of what's going through his mind? His face shows nothing, except a forest growing around his chin and mouth region. He desperately needs to shave. He's almost unrecognizable with that bush on his face.

"What's wrong?" I inquire in a light tone.

"Who's Chris?" He arches his brows at me curiously when I do a double take from his line of questioning.

Oh no.

Oh no, no, no.

How much did he hear?

I can't do this.

I can't fucking do this!

 

"Uh he, he's...he's my....well..." Stumbling over my words, Trace comes to my rescue.

"Just some guy she went to school with back in the day. She was giving me a crazy joke about something stupid that he did which got him beat up pretty bad. No big deal." Trace shrugs and I shoot him a death glare, but he just winks at me.

"I see. Well, whatever then. I Just heard Trace say the name so I was wondering if it was my Chris from back in the day or something. Trace, let's go man." Justin drops the situation all together and I breathe a sigh of relief. That was easy...too easy...but was it really? I'm not so certain. Mouthing a ‘thank you to Trace,' He gives me a thumbs up for Justin not to see, before he's pulled out of the office and the door slams shut behind them.

 

**

 

Walking over to my leather couch, I plop down heavily, letting out a pent up breath. Unfortunately, I barely get a chance to relax before my cell begins to go off. Groaning, I pull the device out of my pant pocket flipping it open.

"Hello?" I voice cheerily.

"Jahzara? Oh thank god! I've been trying to get you on your office phone but no one was answering." The man frantically yaps.

"What? Oh, I'm sorry; I was on a conference call." I lie. I don't want to say I ignored the calls. "So what's up Drew?" I ask happily. "Bugging me to hook you up with another girl at my job again?" I joke. Drew is actually my bother's partner. He's a cool guy and like another brother to me. I don't see him too often though, but he occasionally calls once in a while to bug me when he says Malcolm is being a bore or won't leave him alone. They can be so childish.

"No! No, listen this is not a laughing matter Zary." Oh yeah, he took that nickname from Malcolm. I don't like it but...but something doesn't seem right.

"What? What's wrong Drew?" Ok, I'm panicking now. He's upset and he's gasping for air. "Drew? What's going on? Where's Malcolm?" I belt with fear when he doesn't answer. It sounds like he's fighting to catch his breath. What the fuck is going on? Holding my breath for the millionth time, I feel my heartbeat pick up again.

"It...it's Malcolm. Oh god, I, I didn't make it in time. We...we were responding to a robbery in progress and...and shit...When we got there we heard a loud commotion so Malcolm sprinted from the car with his weapon armed and ready and I was right behind him Jahzara. I was right behind him when we got into that store. Before I could even comprehend what was going on, we were in a full blown shoot out. Shots were being fired everywhere and..." Trailing off, I hear Drew choke out a sob and I'm already prepared for the worse. I'm not even thinking correctly right now.

"Drew?" I whisper, keeping a death grip on the phone as my tears begin to fall.

"He was shot Jahzara. Oh god, I watched them shoot him right in front of me and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I took out one of the men, but the other one escaped. I'm so sorry. We rushed him to Orlando General Hospital. You need to get down here...." He drifts off again and I hear people talking to him in the background. Seconds later he returns to the phone. "Hey, I just found out that he's in surgery to take out the bullets. But he lost a lot of blood. He might need a blood transfusion. Get down here Z. He needs you...I have to go..."

Before I can even answer, the line goes dead.

And my world was just thrown for another spin.

This is not happening to me.

It can't be real.

My worst fears are coming true.

Please no.

Please god no.

 

**

 

Stumbling to my feet after what seems like ages, I drop my phone on the floor in a daze and make my way out of the office without thinking.

As I continue to walk down the hall I pass Justin's office, hearing him and Trace call out to me.

"Zara? I thought you had work to do; where are you going?" Trace asks, but I keep walking, almost in a trance. "Zar-bear? Zara what's wrong with you?"

"Berry!" Justin calls out to my retreating form and I freeze at the sound of my nickname. Making his way over, he looks down at me, scanning my eyes. "Holy shit, what the fuck is wrong with you? Your eyes are blood shot and puffy." Grasping my arms, I allow Justin to lead me into his office with Trace close behind.

"Zara you're crying." Trace points out the obvious. I'm still not fully functioning right now.

"Berry...Zara...Hey! Jahzara snap out of it!" Justin shakes me lightly.

"What the hell? Is she in a coma?" Trace waves his hands in front of my face, but I'm staring off into the distance, reliving all the good times Malcolm and I shared together while growing up.

Oh god.

Malcolm.

He's dying.

He...he could already be dead.

This.is.not.happening.

 

 

"No! No! No!" I suddenly begin to scream frantically, scaring both Justin and Trace.

"What the...berry please snap out of it. Hey look at me. Look at me Damn it!" Justin pleads, touching my face, trying to get me to focus on him. "Shit, her eyes are so spaced out." He tells Trace.

"No!" I cry out again, falling into Justin's embrace. "Malcolm! No...oh god...he's....no...." I bury my head in his chest, heaving for air as my tears once again cloud my vision.

"Should we call a doctor? Is this normal?" Trace asks, worried laced in his features.

"I...I don't know. I think she's having some sort of trauma or some attack." Justin explains. "Zara, you need to calm down. Come back sweetie. Come back...tell us what happened. Breathe babe. Long, deep breaths." he instructs.

Can't he see I don't care about that?

My brother is fucking dying!

But, I'm still not fully functioning right.

"Hey...strawberry..." Justin whispers, wiping away my tears painstaking slow. He pulls me closer against his firm chest, pushing back my hair to get a better view of me.

I instantly lock eyes with him at the sound of that name. I've missed my Ju. I really have. But this isn't fair, because he's not even mine. I lose everyone I love. It's just not fair!

"Malcolm...hospital....now... got shot!" I mutter, feeling my head pounding. I need to get there. I need to save my brother. I need to donate my blood to save him. He needs me! "He needs me!" I cry out, trying to push Justin away but he stands his ground, not letting me go.

"What?" Trace voices quizzically.

"I think Malcolm was shot and they took him to the hospital." Justin quickly makes sense of my rambling. "You want us to take you Zara?" Justin asks, lifting my chin to kiss my forehead lightly. Why is he doing this? Why does he care? I thought he wanted nothing to do with me. I though he wanted me out of his life for good.

 

 

"Y...yes..." I force out, my tongue feeling extremely heavy. "I need you Ju. Please, help us."

"Ok baby, just try to relax ok? I'm here...I'm here. We'll take you. Everything is going to be fine. Which hospital?" Justin coos, trying to calm me down.

"Orlando General." My voice cracks.

"Alright. Trace...get Mike and tell him we have a change of plans." Justin demands.

"Ok." Trace instantly rushes out of the spacious office with haste, slamming the door shut behind him - leaving Justin and me alone.

Looking up at the object of my affection, I smile for him haphazardly, when I feel myself becoming weak. He's just as handsome and adorable from when I last saw him over a month ago, maybe even more so now. "I've missed you Ju...so much." I breathe out, latching unto his shoulders for support.

Letting out a sad sigh, Justin looks away from me, without responding. There's so much pain and confusion in his eyes. Somehow, he just doesn't seem the same to me.

"Ju? I don't...I don't feel too good." I explain, watching in slow motion as he diverts his attention back to me with worried eyes.

However, before he gets a chance to respond, I feel a shooting pain in my head and a light dizzy effect takes over, completely dulling my vision. It only takes seconds later before I give into the complete blackness that slowly empowers me...

 

****

Quote by: Unknown

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story