Sunday Afternoon...

Hours Later...

 

Turning Point - Part 2

 

"The greater your capacity to love, the greater your capacity to feel the pain."

 

"Ju?" I call out, watching as Justin is lost in some conversation with Mike as we stand inside of this Chinese restaurant, waiting for our orders before we head to the park.

"Ju!" I say a bit louder, waiting as he turns around to look at me.

"Yeah?" He replies, a goofy grin on his face. I wonder what they're talking about.

"Can we stop for some ice cream before we head to the park?" I enquire craving the cold, delicious sweetness.

"Uh ok, we could do that." He says distractedly, diverting his attention back to Mike, instantly cracking up at something Mike said.

Ugh, men are so clueless most times. Ha!

Ignoring them, I move around the restaurant, taking a seat close to the entrance on the waiting chairs for take-out customers. Strumming my fingers against my long cargo pants out of boredom, I look around the restaurant, taking in the vanished wooden tables and the many Chinese decorations and writings. Still gazing around, my eyes finally focus in on a pair of piercing brown orbs. Turning to see if the person is looking behind me, I whip back around noticing he's now smiling brightly. Uh ok, who the hell is that and why is he watching me like that?

Frowning when he stands and makes his way over to me, I gaze in Justin's direction whose back is facing me as he, Trace, Yolanda, Mike and Lonnie stand around the cashier's counter, talking about something or other.

I'm a little out of the loop right now. Mostly because I can't stop thinking about what happened in the shower between Justin and me earlier. I can't even believe we had sex again and now we're all cool like it was the most normal thing in the world when it wasn't. But, I love that. I really do. I love how Justin and I can always seem to find some common ground and an ultimatum or temporary fix to a problem. He's truly something. When I vocalized my feelings to him through a hurricane of emotions he seemed almost unfazed, like he was relating or on the same wave length as me. That made me appreciate the person he's become even more presently.

He's really changed for the better. He's so attentive and caring now, a side of him that was hidden behind his cocky, arrogant, selfish persona. I still can't get that shower scene out of my head though. We prolonged the whole getting ready to go out plan. I'm assuming Justin and I were in that shower much longer than intended because my hands began to prune and Trace came looking for us, both of us busting into laugher when he kept banging on Justin's door screaming bloody murder.

I'm still grinning like an idiot from the memory, until the stranger who was eyeing me clears his throat, taking a seat next to me.

 

"Hi?" I inquire in a high pitched tone when he crosses his jeans clad legs, leaning back in his seat as he eyes me. Does this guy not see I'm with company? More importantly, does he not realize that Justin would beat his ass for coming near me? What can I say? That's my Ju for you. He hides his jealously well though. Does that mean I'm with both Jeremy and Justin now? Maybe technically? I'm confused.

"Miss Gilmore." He greets me, shaking my hand lightly before pulling away.

"Do I know you?" I enquire, intrigued that this man knows my name. But then again, I am Yolanda's PA so I need to get use to that. Focusing on his auburn hair and glowing olive skin I frown. Why does he look faintly familiar?

"Barely." He chuckles.

"Why are you here talking to me?" I snap, wanting him to get to the point.

"Well, when I saw you all walk in here I was definitely stunned. It's really a small world." Connecting his eyes to mine he shrugs. "I'm not sure if you remember a certain club performance your client Yolanda was doing a few months ago in LA? You stormed out of the club in hysterics and I got a glimpse as well as a few pictures of you then asked about your relationship with Justin..." he trails off when I grit my teeth, my eyes widening at the memory...

That was the night Justin was high and we got into this big argument in the club because of his jealously and all the horrible things he said to me. It ended in me slapping Justin then storming out of the club in tears, to moving in with Jeremy for the rest of our stay in LA. I've really tried to burry that memory but now this...unannounced stranger had to bring it up to the surface of my thoughts...

 

 

...Flashback...

Sprinting down the stairs of V.I.P, I disappear into the crowd pushing at the bouncers at the exit to let me through. When they see me, they step aside and I'm instantly bombarded with blinding light flashes.

"Miss Gilmore!"

"Jahzara over here!?"

"Yolanda's PA! What's it like in there?! Is Yolanda doing great?!"

Holy shit! When did these people learn my name? What's happening? Pushing them out of the way, I try to get unto the sidewalk so I can hail a taxi.

"Miss Gilmore when did you and Justin begin having an affair?"

Stopping dead in my tracks, I turn around to see a very tall man with auburn hair and olive skin holding a camera in his hand and an evil glimmer in his eyes.

"Wh...what?"

"You know, you and Justin. There's a rumor going around about you two kissing in some parking lot after a Lakers game. But no pictures have surfaced yet. What's that about?"

"Oh my god. Are you people insane? Just leave me alone!" I yell, whipping around and picking up my pace, practically sprinting out of the mass hysteria and down the sidewalk.

...End flashback...

 

 

"You're that nosey photographer." I point out, furrowing my brows in realization. "What are you doing in Orlando?"

"I live here." He states simply.

"So, what do you want? Why are you talking to me?" I really want him to leave but I don't want to be rude.

"I was hoping that maybe we could make a business arrangement with a project I have in development. I've been meaning to head over to Tennman, but seeing you here unexpectedly works too. I'll still stop by the office for details." He smiles, handing me a business card.

A business arrangement? What the hell type of business could he possibly offer? I don't trust him. Plus, he was very rude the night of Yol's club performance. Grabbing the card, I examine it closely. "Look I don't know about this." I begin, zooming in on the name on the card. "Rico Gonzalez?" I frown again. "You don't look Spanish." I can't help but state.

"I'm mixed." He shrugs. "Oh and sorry about that time..." Tensing, he shifts uncomfortably in his seat before standing. "Think about it. I'll be in touch. It was nice meeting you formally. Have a nice day." He rambles out, giving me a tight smile and walking straight for the exit, leaving me baffled by his sudden exit.

 

Then I hear someone clear their throat lightly from close behind and I turn around quickly. My hazels instantly connect to a pair of curious blues. Justin has a displeased expression on his face as he scowls. "What the hell was that?" he inquires, trying to keep his cool and his voice at a minimum pitch.

"I honestly don't know." I admit, just as lost as him if not more.

"Who was that?" he accentuates, patiently waiting for my response.

Gazing down at the card again, I sigh. "Rico Gonzalez. He's a photographer. Uh, he wanted me to contact him about some business venture. Said he would stop by the company some time." I supply, knowing damn well the whole paparazzi concept maybe fits into his line of work. However, I'm not looking for Justin to throw a tantrum which I know will happen if I tell him.

"That's pretty random and unprofessional." Justin states brusquely, now suspicious of my little encounter. "He seemed a little shocked and scared when he saw me too."

"I guess."

"Give me the card." Justin demands firmly and I hand it to him.

Quickly scanning it over, he crumples it in his hand, tossing it into a nearby trash can. "There, business venture settled. Let him come into the office if he's serious. Let's go. The others are outside waiting for us with the take-outs. They took the back exits in case of any lingering fans." He stretches his hands out to me and I can't help but laugh at what he did. I was thinking about doing the same thing.

"Ok." I simply comply, dismissing the previous situation, completely forgetting about it. "Did you get my chicken fried rice?" I ask eagerly.

"Yeah I did." Justin chortles, pulling me to stand and kissing my lips lightly before we make our way to the back exit and out to Trace's Yellow hummer. I remember teasing Justin and Trace about that since Justin has a black one. I told him, he and Trace were a cute couple with matching rides and all, causing them to burn with embarrassment and protest to no end. It was comical.

"So, I was thinking we'll get your rocky road ice cream on our way home." Justin blurts out just as we make it to the ride, hopping in the backseat to squeeze with Yolanda and Trace.

"How do you know my favorite ice cream?" I ask amazed.

"You told me some time back. I don't forget that easily." He chuckles and I just smile, thinking it's cute that he remembers these little things about me. I'm betting Jeremy has no idea what my favorite ice cream, chocolate or even color is for that matter. But, I'm sure Justin knows. I guess it's the little things that count, no matter how insignificant they may appear to be.

I'm almost tempted to quiz Justin and find out just how well he knows me but I refrain when I hear Trace call Yolanda a whiny bitch and she slaps him rigorously on his arm. That's as far as it gets before Lonnie scolds them both and they remain quiet. Giggling slightly, I realize Justin is laughing along as well, calling Trace a baby, practically salting Trace's already wounded ego.

Relaxing against Justin's broad chest as Mike brings the ride to life, we all remain in silence, chatting every once in a while as we listen to the radio on our way to ‘Justin's park,' - figuratively speaking of course, not like I would be surprised if he actually owned one.

 

****

Hours later....

At the park....

 

Today has been an amazing day for me, literally. I'm not sure what happened or what caused berry to change but you can bet I'm not complaining. I still can't believe she just attacked me in the shower like that earlier, but it was an enjoyable attack. I fully recommend it for anyone. Yeah, that was me being cheesy. I tend to be all soft and emotional when it comes to berry. That's a trait I didn't even know still existed, but she brings it out in me strangely enough. Honestly, I don't like it. I hate it in fact, because that means my heart is on my sleeve with her and the last time I remember ever wearing my heart on my sleeve was years ago...

 

Now, I'm a little skeptic to take such a chance again, but I guess Zara's worth it. So why do I feel troubled with her telling me she loves me? Isn't that what I wanted? I mean, she's everything I love and everything I fear all in one. Her sensitive side is adorable. We mesh well. She's out of her shy unconfident shell almost completely. Bit by bit I'm seeing the real woman behind her steel walls. I can't wait for the day she just lets it all go and embraces who she really is, because I know for a fact this is not her. Something must have happened to her in her past that I don't know about. Which reminds me, we need to have that heart to heart.

 

Leaning back on my elbows on the blanket we laid out earlier, I gaze at the scene going on in front of me...

Everyone immediately dug into their food when we got here so I'm defiantly feeling full and lazy right now. It's a beautiful quaint little park with endless gardens of flowers in all assortments. There are benches under the shadow of the huge oak trees and a vast expanse of freshly cut grass with small walkways in between. The sun is slowly setting as it lights up the blue sky giving it an orange glow. It's perfect out here. I never realized how much I've missed coming here until now. It was one of my getaways to clear my mind. There are also a few lingering persons, but none to be alarmed by because of my celebrity status.

 

Yawning lightly, I watch as Trace is running around chasing Zara on the open field. She's giggling like a maniac, dodging left and right when Trace lunges at her. It's really comical. It's like watching a turtle chase a rabbit. He's not going to catch her. Funny that she can run like that but when it comes to jogging for exercise she complains. Not that she even needs that anymore with how small she's getting. I know I keep mentioning it, but it's only because that's really starting to bother me. Especially since Dr. Lake mentioned about finding traces of antidepressants in berry's blood. I guess this is some serious shit.

Seating upright I hunch over in laugher when Trace flies forward, missing Zara and connecting with the ground. Damn, I'm sure he ate some grass too. Turning in my direction when she hears my laughter, Zara smiles for me before blocking her mouth to stifle her giggles as she makes her way over to Trace.

"Haha, Tracey-poo are you ok? Oh my god. Ha-ha-ha!" Zara belts, leaning down to help Trace up who seems more embarrassed than anything else.

Ok, enough mellowing out. It's time to get down to business. Standing on my feet, I pass Yolanda, Mike and Lonnie who are in their own little world talking about something. The most I pick up on is Yolanda whining about her new bodyguards to Mike. Stopping mid-step, I turn to face her with a stern expression.

"I'm not going to fire them Yolanda." I interject, causing everyone to divert their gazes on me.

"Justin..." She whines. She almost sounds like Zara but Zara still has her beat.

"I'm not firing them." I enforce.

"Then could you get rid of Blake? He's the devil incarnate." She huffs. She's such a prima donna.

"He's a much better personal trainer than Jeremy will ever be." I state bitterly.

"You're just saying that because you have personal issues with the guy." She retorts, giving me a knowing glare. I won't tell her she's right though. I know Jeremy is great at what he does, but he can do it somewhere else.

"I'm not firing them so get over it." I end the conversation abruptly, storming away from the trio. Rolling my eyes in annoyance, I pass by a rose bush, picking a single rose and playing with the stem between my finger tips as I carefully remove the thorns.

 

 

Finally reaching over to where Trace and berry are sitting on the grass resting against an oak tree, they instantly cease their talking and laughter as I come into view. Frowning, I force a smile on my face as I push between Trace and berry to get a space to sit.

"Shit, you might as well tell me to leave." Trace snaps, scooting over so I can sit in the middle.

"Ok. Then leave." I reply smartly with a sly grin, my eyes telling him that I'm serious.

"I'm just going to head over to Yolanda and the group where I'm wanted." Trace scowls, standing and nudging Zara playfully before he sprints off.

Sighing, I mentally prepare myself for what's about to go down before I turn to face Zara.

She's just sitting quietly, watching me with those beautiful eyes of hers. "Hey..." I whisper.

"Hey yourself Ju." She whispers back with a colossal grin on her face.

Smiling back I hold out the rose I picked for her viewing pleasure. "Here, this is for you." I say in a low voice, watching as she takes the rose from my grasp. Staring down at it, she smells it briefly before locking eyes with me.

"I love it. Thank you." She coos and I nod in acknowledgement.

"Here let me help you with that." Leaning over, I take the rose from her and brake off the stem, placing the rose in between the groove of her ears and her curly hair. "Perfect." I smile, leaning back to take in her form. "It fits perfectly with the red top you're wearing considering that's your favorite color and all." I explain.

"Wow Ju, you just keep surprising me. First my favorite ice cream now my favorite color. What next?" She asks disbelievingly, but I can tell she's impressed with my gifted memory. Yeah, I know I'm cocky.

 

"You love Twix, but you already know I knew that." I chuckle with a shrug. "And, um, you're a romantic movie sap which is ok since you're a female." I joke, laughing harder when she raises her brows at me. "Let's see, you want to be a psychologist, your favorite pass time is to read novels though you haven't had much of a chance to do that since you've stepped into my crazy world. You love dogs but hate cats, don't know why. Glad it's not the other way around. Uh, you prefer Chris Brown over Omarion, not that I care. I'm just hoping you never get to meet him. You'd probably jump him like how you're obsessed with my friend JC. You have a thing for Robin Thicke. Jeffery Rush is maybe one of your only real friends at Tennman. Your annoying nail habit is well...annoying as fuck, but you only do it if something is bothering you immensely making you uncomfortable or afraid to voice your thoughts and feelings. I've been meaning to ask you what your favorite music is, I hardly ever see you listening to music come to think of it. You're obsessed with the scent of strawberries, hence the nickname. I wouldn't be surprised if they were your favorite fruit. You seem to like pizza almost as much as Trace and I do. You can't live without your morning coffee. I think you're an addict...." Drifting off, I laugh when Zara places her palm over my mouth.

 

"Ok enough. I like all kinds of music by the way, no favorites." She giggles, gasping for air in between before she pulls her hand away, causing me to lick my lips in the process. "Oh my goodness. I don't even know what to say to that." She laughs out. "I'm impressed Ju, damn. But, this isn't why we're here is it?" She asks skeptically.

Shaking my head no, I rest back on the large trunk of the oak tree watching the array of colorful patterns in the sky as the sun is almost out of sight.

"I want you tell me what's been going on with you and why you're losing so much weight." I cut right to the chase, not caring to make anymore small talk.

Visibly tensing, Zara lets out an exasperated sigh before she casts her vision to the darkening sky.

"Justin..."

"Zara please, just tell me. I care about you; I'll help how I can. Don't shut me out and I don't want us to fight. You promised me." I remind her, causing her to let out a moan of despair.

"Well then, I guess I should start this story all over with what I told Trace a few days ago huh?" She begins and I can already feel my anger rising. That little shit-head; I knew he was keeping things from me. But, now that she trusts me enough to share, I guess I can't complain too much...

"Ok, go ahead..." I probe, all ears for what ever revelation she's about divulge.

"Ok, so it all starts back to my high school days, from my parents dying to my aunt taking us in. Then it goes on to a touchy subject of my last real boyfriend before Jeremy whose name was Christian Andrew Hemingway..."

"Why does his name sound so familiar? Like the Hemingways who own this large wine empire my restaurants always order from?" I randomly voice, interrupting berry.

Giving me an askance look, Zara groans inwardly. "Well, you're definitely on point with that one." She pauses when my eyes grow wide with shock, but I remain silent. I mean, that dude was years in her past right? I've always heard he was a ladies man. I've even been compared to him on a few occasions. I'm a little scared now to hear what she has to say. "Before you get all worked up, let me just start from the beginning ok?"

"Ok." I nod, completely mute as Zara proceeds to pour her heart and soul out to me, taking me for one hell of a ride....

 

**

Some time later...

 

I'm lost as to how long we've been sitting here chatting, but it's pitch black now. Night time always rolls around quickly. Stretching my partially cramped limbs, I think I'm a little thrown off with this entire life history. I had no idea Zara endured the torture she did. I mean, how could those kids be so callous and unrelenting like that? They bullied her, ridiculed her, belittled her, even beat her up. I can't even imagine going through something like that. I did get my fair share of it growing up, but never to this magnitude.

 

I'm still speechless by all of this. I guess that explains her whole fascination with psychology. Anyone who experienced what she did would be fucked in the head too. And, if I ever got to meet her Aunt, I'd have a few choice words to give her for ever treating Zara and Malcolm like they were a burden on her as opposed to her family. I think what I'm really irked by is this Christian story she told me. I don't even want to think about it right now.

 

I mean, how the fuck can she compare me to what that asshole did to her? How can she say we're alike? And even more so, how can she think I'd ever do to her what he did? How fucked up is that? He fucked his ex at their senior prom party then had the heart to tell her she was never his type and they were just fooling themselves. Man, if Malcolm hadn't beaten his ass the next day... I would get on a plane and find his ass to beat him now. What an asshole. Both he and Jeremy are assholes. It's no wonder berry is afraid to put her heart on the line. She's really had the pick of the litter hasn't she? Still, I can't believe we went through all this because of her fear that her past will repeat itself. I feel so betrayed in a way, that she never voiced this sooner. I think we could have avoided a lot of drama. Plus, I feel kind of guilty for being such an asshole to her in the beginning. I'm glad that's all changing now.

But that doesn't answer the one question that keeps plaguing me...

 

"What's with the weight loss Zara?" I interrupt her, realizing that she was still talking about something or other. Oh, I zoned out. I think I'm picking that up from her. She does it too often. It's strangely calming though.

"What?" She asks dumfounded, clearly on another level compared to me.

"Are you still taking those weight loss bars you showed me when we were in LA some months ago?"

"I...I uh..." Stumbling over her words, I grip her arms and yank her down when she attempts to stand.

"You promised." I enforce, already getting agitated with the situation.

"I just told you my life history Justin. Give me a fucking break to breathe. I don't want to talk about this now." She snaps, her anger slowly building as she fights in my grasp.

I really don't want this to escalate into something. Mike, Lonnie, Trace and Yolanda are all hanging out on one of the park benches out of ear shot. If Zara acts up, they're going to interrupt us and I can't let that happen. Not when she's finally opening up to me. Sighing with defeat, I let her go and she shimmies away from me scoffing.

"Please Zara. I can't take much more of this. We need everything out in the open. When I get back to work tomorrow everything is going to be different. We're going to be into this whole studio, media, entertainment thing with Yolanda and myself. We can't be focusing on this now. Just...please." I plead, catching the glow of her eyes from the reflection of the moonlight peeking through the clouds.

 

 

Whimpering, she brings her knees up to her chest, staring off into the distance. The park is practically deserted now. I'm thinking we should head back to Trace's soon...

"I'm taking anti-depressants and weight loss pills." She blurts out emotionlessly, and I'm just there sitting, tugging on my white t-shirt.

"Wh...what?" I ask in disbelief. Is she fucking crazy? Is she looking to drop dead or something?

"You heard me." She spits coldly, turning in my direction. God, her stare is like icicles piercing through me. I can almost feel the chill.

"You could seriously hurt yourself Jahzara. Why?" Ok Justin just stay calm. Breathe. Say ‘Ou Sa', do anything you need to do from not blowing up. That's the last thing she needs.

"Because..." Standing to her feet, I follow suit, burning her with my gaze. When she attempts to walk away, I grab her waist and spin her around.

"Because what?" I push.

"You wanted to know. I finally figured it out today when my jeans weren't fitting right. I told myself it's nothing but I know Justin. I know it's the pills."

"Why are you taking them?" I inquire harshly, a mass of emotions slowly creeping into my system. I think the one that's magnified right now is fear. Fear of how Zara could be damaging herself and her health. If she's right, it won't be long before she's in the hospital next to her brother. I'm pretty sure he'd blame me for it too. I can't believe Dr. Lake was right...

"Why do you think? If I'm not mistaken, I remember a certain someone voicing I had to weigh at least 300 pounds and no guy would ever be interested in me. Oh and that someone iced their statement by saying and I quote ‘You're just a fat hideous bitch', or don't you remember?" She spits vehemently.

Flinching at the memory, I feel my stomach contents stir. Oh my god, is she telling me this is my fault? Holy fucking shit. I was fucking high, partially drunk and jealous over her and Jeremy at Yolanda's club performance in LA. I didn't mean any of what I said. She knows this. So, why is she even bringing that night up? I thought we got past that.

"Ber..." But she cuts me off.

"Don't Justin. Just shut up." Bowing her head, she breathes in deeply. "I don't want to fight with you. I've just had to deal with this my whole life. I guess I'm just doing something about it now." Lifting her head, she rubs at her temples slowly as if to calm her nerves and I'm just there completely speechless. "Let's get the others and head back to Trace's. It's getting late." She supplies, but I stop her from moving yet again, this time pulling her flush against my torso.

"I didn't mean what I said." I speak softly, obviously hurt and angry that I ever said those things to her.

"Just forget it. I'll stop taking the pills if that's what pleases you." She explains uncaringly.

"I've apologized Zara. I bought a fucking Yacht for you. What more do you want from me? It's not that simple. You can't just stop. Those pills are almost as addictive as a person on crack. You need help. I can help you but you need to stop shutting me out. Dr. Lake and I can..." I explain, wincing in pain when she hits at my chest and moves out of my hold.

 

 

"A yacht is the perfect ‘I'm sorry' gift huh?" She says sarcastically. "And Dr. Lake?" She asks incredulously, her eyes wide as she ‘puts two and two together.' "This conversation is over." She storms off but I sprint after her, hoisting her up and over my shoulder before she can reach the group.

 

It's like you caught up in a maze
You keep on going in circles girl you're trying to find your way out
But its time I put on my cape and
Put that us on my chest
Girl I wanna come and save you
But I'm stuck in the middle of seeing you hurting...

 

"Oh my god Justin! Put me down! What the hell is your problem?" She screams, kicking up her legs - her arms flailing as I turn in the opposite direction, carrying us further away from the group. All eyes are on us now, but no one is budging from their spot. I think they're trying to figure out if we're playing around or not.

Ignoring Zara's protests, I walk further out into the field. Fed up with her wriggling, I drop her unceremoniously unto the grass as I hover over. She's looking up at me completely shocked, seething with anger.

 

"You see this shit Jahzara! Look at how easily I lifted you! This is fucking serious." I point at her. "Now I would be all down for this if you were doing it the healthy way but you're not! You're fucking wasting away to nothing. Are you looking to faint or go into a coma too?" I snap, my anger rising to surprising heights. "Because you're stupid if you let people dictate your life. I was a complete asshole ok? I admit that. But jesus, I've been trying to make it right ever since. Give me a little credit for fuck's sake. I'm not going to sit back and watch you dig yourself into an early grave because you give a fuck about what people say. I won't fucking do it do you hear me? You need to get a fucking grip on reality and realize not everyone looks down on you unless you allow them to. I don't. I never did. Believe it or not, I always noticed you. You were shy, but something about you always intrigued me, like some twisted alluring energy force you entailed and still do. I don't know what it is, but shit ber, I'm so fucking in over my head with all this pressure on my back for my next album and Yolanda. I can't help you if you don't help me and yourself. Just...." Dropping to my knees, I study her form as tears are now silently sliding down her cheeks. She's quiet, just staring at me with those big hazels.

 

I can hear your heart crying out for me (crying out for me)
I can hear your heart crying out for me
(And it keeps on saying) Come on in, come on in come on in and save me
(And it keeps on saying) Come on in, come on in come on in and save me
(I can baby) I can hear your heart crying out for me

 

"Please Zara, don't be like this. I just want to help you. Let me help you. Come with me to visit Dr. Lake tomorrow after you see Malcolm that's all I ask." I plead, feeling broken up over her distraught state. Nodding timidly, she remains quiet pulling me into her embrace. Gladly accepting her gesture, I breathe a sigh of relief as I wrap my arms around her waist, pulling her against my chest protectively. "I'm so sorry berry. God, we'll get through this. We'll tame our demons together." I whisper into her hair, the rose petals tickling my nose as I shut my eyes tightly. "I'm so sorry. I love you...just...hang in there babe." I coo, hearing her whimper.

 

I don't wanna confuse things (no)
But I just can't keep lying to myself
When you're holding me (when you're holding me)
I can feel your pain oh baby let me be your dream
I'm the answer come see me (see me)
And u don't have to cry no more (u don't have to cry)

Girl I can hear your heart baby
I can hear your heart
Girl it's crying
Won't you listen to your heart, baby

 

"I'm sorry too. I know you mean well." She chokes out, clinging unto me before we hear Trace calling out to us. Pulling away from her, I turn to look at him. Not really able to hear him clearly, I pick up on something along the lines of ‘get a room' and they're ready to leave.

 

I can hear your heart crying out for me
(And it's saying)
Come on in, come on in, come on in and save (Save me)...

Oh baby
It's crying for me
It's crying for me for me...

 

Standing, I dust off myself, helping berry up with me. "Sorry for dropping you." I apologize as I grip her hands in mine leading us over to the group.

"It's ok. You were trying to make a point." She giggles, wiping at her tear stained cheeks.

"Ok." I chuckle, squeezing her hand. "Want to come over to my place with me tonight? I need to get some fresh clothes for work tomorrow if we're going to spend the night at Trace's again. We promised to keep you company until Malcolm was out." I suggest.

"Or, we could just stay by you and head out to work in the morning. I'll grab a change of clothes by Trace and we can head over." She beams, her mood instantly lifting.

"I like the sound of that." I grin. "No interruptions either." I chortle.

"You're bad Ju." Zara slaps my arms playfully as I erupt in laughter.

"Na, I'm realistic." I challenge and she just shrugs still giggling like a school girl.

"Oh hey, what did you have to tell me about Jeremy?" Zara inquires, causing me to flinch.

"Uh, I'll tell you tomorrow at work. Is that ok?" I ask, wanting to avoid the situation for as long as possible.

"That's cool." She says dismissively.

 

"Hey what's your middle name?" I suddenly ask, hearing Zara laugh.

"Why?"

"Just curious." I state, not really sure where that thought came from.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." She snickers. "I was hoping you never found out." She adds.

"Now I definitely have to know." I mimic her baby expressions.

"It's Beryl." She explains nonchalantly.

"Are you shitting me? Is this a joke?" She's definitely pulling my leg.

 

"No. Actually, just a little admittance here: the only reason I'm obsessed with the whole strawberry thing is because that was my mom's signature scent. I know I was too young to remember her well but, I always remembered she smelt like strawberries. I guess it's my indirect way of staying close to her. In fact, my dad gave me that name because I was told he said I reminded him of her so much and her strawberry fetish. Hence, Jahzara Beryl Gilmore was bestowed upon me as my identity. I know it's corny, but when you called me berry the first time, I was stunned yet oddly ebullient over the whole concept. Now you know." She grins and I can't help but just laugh like I'm on Nitrous Oxide. There's nothing else I can really do. That was definitely a shocker. When I've fully digested it I'll comment on that because now, this is too hilarious. I mean, she lost her parents but that's not the part we're focusing on. It's the whole damn concept.

 

As we make it to the crowd of curious faces and questionable glares, I pull berry along with me to Trace's hummer. When no one says anything I groan with irritation. They're so speculative.

Breaking the silence, I opt to speak in an attempt to lighten the entire situation. "So, who wants ice cream?" I voice.

"Ice cream Justin? Are you five?" Trace snickers and I shove him roughly, watching as he stumbles, hitting his back against his ride. "Wow dude. It was just a joke. What the fuck was that for?" He asks, orbs blazing in offence - sneaky, secretive bastard. I'm just getting started with him. How dare he not tell me what I needed to know about Zara. Again I wonder whose friend is he really.

"You'll find out in due time." I state laconically, noting Zara's weary eyes as everyone else cracks up at Trace's expense, before we all get ready to leave the park. I should really look into setting up my back yard like this. It would be my own little private sanctuary away from this crazy ass life...

 

****

Orlando General Hospital...

Malcolm's P.O.V

 

Do you know what's worse than getting shot? The aftermath of recovering from the bullet wounds. I know I shouldn't be too worried because I'm alive and breathing. I'm ok...mostly. Just still in pain. Drew's been a real sport spending so much time with me in here. I think he feels partly responsible but it wasn't he's fault. Shit happens. But this piss ass bed is seriously uncomfortable and I've been having a hard time getting my nurse to go out with me. I'm a horny jerk, what can I say?

 

I'm glad Zary is dealing with this well. She seems to have some real loyal friends. Trace turned out to be a standup guy. I'm not too sure about her boss Justin though. I don't like the guy as far as I can throw him. Trust me when I say I'm betting I can throw his lanky ass pretty far. I don't like that smitten, crushing look she gets whenever he's around. If she thinks I'm clueless to it she's wrong. I'm going to have a talk with her about that.

 

I just hope no one tells her I flat lined. She'd never be able to deal with that. She's still so fragile with what she'd been through in her life and I love my baby sis. I'd never want her getting sick over my expense or getting hurt by any asshole. She already looks like she's under so much stress with the new job she has with Justin. It's definitely affecting her with how she's been losing weight. Even when we gym she never loses this much. But, I should really concentrate on getting better so I can get out of this fucking hospital and back to my baby sis. I trust that Trace and Yolanda are taking good care of her as well as Jeremy.

 

With that close encounter I experienced, I'm seriously thinking about quitting the force. I know I shouldn't but it's not even my preferred job. I only took the gig to supply for Zara and myself. I know we're all grown up now but she still needs me. She's all I have since our bitch of an Aunt bailed on us. Zary is constantly terrified every time I'm on the job. I can't keep putting her through that. I want to live too. I'm not digging putting my life on the line anymore. Since I've been lying in this bed I've had a lot of time to think and this decision might be the best one I've made in ages. I can look for a new job. Anything less dangerous and more rewarding to me will suffice. I'll definitely have to consider this...

 

Groaning in pain as I shift in bed, I begin fiddling with the covers, watching as the moonlight seeps in through the dull stained glass windows of my hospital room. God this is frustrating me to no end. I just want to get out of here.

Snapping my head in the direction of the door, I watch as it eases open, the bright lights from the hallway filtering into the partially dark room. Squinting to get a good look at the person who just entered, I immediately begin to smile.

"Hey Jeremy man what's up bro?" I say my voice slightly groggy.

Walking over to me, he smiles, pulling up a chair to take a seat next to my bed. "I've been good man. Could be better." He shrugs and I frown in curiosity.

"Zara can be a handful." I joke.

"Yeah, if I could see her or be with her." He spits angrily.

"Hang on man, what are you talking about? Isn't she your girl still?" I ask. What's happened since I've been here? It's only been a few days. Hardly any time has passed.

"She's supposed to be. But let's just say a certain boss of hers is really testing my patience and crossing over some very dangerous lines...why with employer and employee relations and shit. It's nothing I can't handle. But, I just came here to see you man and see how you're holding up. You look good. You're getting better." Jeremy pats my shoulder, changing topics but, I'm still stuck on the employer/employee relations part.

What the fuck is he really saying? That Zara and Timberlake are having some type of love affair? I'll kill them both if that's true. Zara knows better than that. She's smarter than that and should know not to get herself mixed up in that type of life. It's already going to be hard on her with her job description.

"Jeremy nice try, but you better tell me what the fuck is going on before I drag my ass out of this bed." I state calmly.

"Shit man. This isn't all that important really..." But I don't want to hear it.

"You have ten seconds to spit it out, so start talking..."

 

****

Quote by: Jennifer Aniston

Song: Crying Out For Me by Mario

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story